• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liars of the Night: DS Horror from Sadness High School Art Club (Scam Exposed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
Borys said:
Look dudes, the chances that this guy has let his Silent Hill 5 art (he decided to make it cause he was in a Silent Hill phase right nbow) and two other private artworks (he made the queen one cbecause one girl asked him to) to Nibris for them to promote some shitty NDS game are close to 0.0000000001%.

I emailed him, posted on DigArt and am awaiting for a response now.

His profile on DeviantArt:

http://omen2501.deviantart.com/

You can conctact him from there.

Hey, check his profile, scroll down a bit, and look on the right. Someone asked him about the DS game :lol

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Borys said:
Look dudes, the chances that this guy has let his Silent Hill 5 art (he decided to make it cause he was in a Silent Hill phase right now) and two other private artworks (he made the queen one cbecause one girl asked him to) to Nibris for them to promote some NDS game are close to 0.0000000001%.

Oh, I fully agree. We're just confirming before we do anything rash!

I mean, there's always a possibility this isn't a scam, but that's about as likely as the guy in the parking lot outside the liquor store actually needing money for gas.

jesusraz

Haunted One said:
If cubed fell for the scam Nibris seems to be... that's bad journalism.

It's damn annoying, that's what it is. I'll contact them to see what they have to say about this. As for all you lot out for my neck, and Cubed³'s neck it seems, all I can do is hold my hands up if I have indeed been led down the garden path.

Anyway, I'll go email them now.

DDayton

jesusraz said:
It's damn annoying, that's what it is. I'll contact them to see what they have to say about this. As for all you lot out for my neck, and Cubed³'s neck it seems, all I can do is hold my hands up if I have indeed been led down the garden path.

Feel free to tell them that if Sadness does come out, I'll buy a copy.

Haunted

I can't believe Nibris thought they could get away with this. A bunch of high-school kids confirmed.

jesusraz said:

oh, I'm not out for your neck, you're generally doing good work. If this shit turns out to be true, though, I expect the interview to get taken down.

I also expect kotaku and stiq to pick this up in that case.

Zenith

Banned
jesusraz said:

You reap what you sow. You were the only site who maintained Nibris was real and solely because they used your forums for all their "exclusives" (unless you're going to claim that's just coincidence). You milked it toofar and you're getting your just desserts. Everyone else knew they were fake, you were the only site to post their games as news.

Borys

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Oh, I fully agree. We're just confirming before we do anything rash!

I mean, there's always a possibility this isn't a scam, but that's about as likely as the guy in the parking lot outside the liquor store actually needing money for gas.

I like it how you took out the "shitty" from my post.

Quality editing :lol

I still like you DavidDayton <3

DDayton

Borys said:
I like it how you took out the "s-----" from my post.

Quality editing :lol

I still like you DavidDayton <3

There we go -- is that better? :)

Hmm. How many copies of Sadness can we GAFfers personally guarantee sales for? Perhaps we can actually get them a publisher!

Me: 1
Vook: 10
RandomVince: 11

That's 22 right there! Come on... let's hit Escape from Bug Island levels!

jesusraz

Haunted One said:
oh, I'm not out for your neck, you're generally doing good work. If this shit turns out to be true, though, I expect the interview to get taken down.

Cheers. I've emailed now, asking why it seems the art has been copied and if there is any explanation. I'll see what they come back with and post accordingly. If this IS all false, it would interesting to know what the deal is with Double Bloob and ROTR...

Yagharek

DavidDayton said:
Hmm. How many copies of Sadness can we GAFfers personally guarantee sales for? Perhaps we can actually get them a publisher!

I hope so. They'll have to pay legal costs then if they make money from their plagiarism.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
speedpop said:
Geez Vook, I never knew you were that desperate for some successful 3rd party software on Wii.

Well I got nothing else to play! Gotta support what I can!

Lobster

Banned
sp0rsk said:

Artist's Comments
Character concept I did for "Sadness" game, for Nintedo Wii. This piece is kinda old but I just got permission from my boss to publish it so here u go
More of those are coming soon :]

Emo kids confirmed to be working for NiBris.

Isn't it possible for them to get sued?? I mean..they fucking officially released those artworks.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Well, it appears nibris is real, but wether or not they are actually working on anything still seems fishy.

Also wether or not this guy is telling the truth.

Lobster

Banned
I don't know what you guys think but this deserves its own email to Nintendo themselves. Time for Reggie to take some names.

Raist

Banned
631545h.gif

DDayton

sp0rsk said:
Well, it appears nibris is real, but wether or not they are actually working on anything still seems fishy.

Also wether or not this guy is telling the truth.

...but, assuming you can't fake dates on the site, it does seem as though he was claiming to be an artist for 'em last year. I noticed at least one other "Sadness Concept Art" thing in his gallery.

See, aren't you glad we were waiting for confirmation before killing anyone?

Haunted

:O

Still, to crop that Silent Hill 5 fanart and release it as concept art for your own DS(!) game.... questionable, to say the least.

I love it when GAF is sleuthing.

edit: :lol Raist

Lobster

Banned
DavidDayton said:
...but, assuming you can't fake dates on the site, it does seem as though he was claiming to be an artist for 'em last year. I noticed at least one other "Sadness Concept Art" thing in his gallery.

How do you explain the DS game?

Borys

Banned
Lobster said:
Artist's Comments
Isn't it possible for them to get sued?? I mean..they fucking officially released those artworks.

Point is, this 100% aren't Children of the Night artworks.

As I said, the Silent Hill 5 one is just that - a Silent Hill fan art. What's the connection between Silent Hill and Children of the Night? There's none.

The white knight one was made for a cover of a polish fantasy book called "Sword of Angels". Nothing common with some NDS game.

The third one, the mutated queen, was made because one girls asked him to do some art for her.

The guy is real, the art is real, he worked for Nibris according to what is posted on DeviantArt.

The question is: why would Nibris use some cropped art to promote their NDS game?

sprsk

DavidDayton said:

Well, I wasn't about to kill anyone!

However, I don't think we have the full picture yet. No pun intended.

Perhaps this guy IS nibris?

Thomper

Lobster said:
I don't know what you guys think but this deserves its own email to Nintendo themselves. Time for Reggie to take some names.
Wuh? What would Nintendo have to do with some guys in Poland claiming to make DS- an Wii-games. There's tons of homebrew-games for GBA, DS, and probably Wii. Nintendo's doesn't really take any action against that. NIBRIS is like a homebrew-developer, but they just get much more attention and also promise a lot more.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
There were plenty before this, but this is just from the last five months or so. It was pretty dumb before that, but you cats took being fooled to a whole new level.

Thanks for the epic lulz, kids.

doomed1 said:
either way, this confirms what i've heard earlier. Nibris, instead of continuing with FRONTLINE, they bought an already made graphics engine. considering what they want to do with it, i would expect they got ahold of the RE4/REUC engine and have been tweaking it according to their needs (dont forget that capcom said they would be selling those engines for use). i'm certain that there is still some work to be done on Sadness before it sees the light of day (though if theyr ahead of schedual, they might show off some stuff for sadness at LGC). just two months until e4all though, and thats when i've heard they're going to show off sadness stuff for sure.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7400079&postcount=32

doomed1 said:
it was from a statement by digital amigos that we know that nibris got ahold of a premade engine for the game. we know DA exists, and DA confirms the existance of Nibris, what else do i need?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7400501&postcount=40

jrricky said:
Sadness is probably the game Matty boy was talking about when he said the game didnt have a publisher because of 'you know what'.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7400990&postcount=47

doomed1 said:
seriously though, no one pays attention to this stuff any more. Digital Amigos has been a partner company from the start, you know, to suplement Nibris's limited resources. they are not the publisher. Frontline was the same. they were there to suplement Nibris's lack of resources. thing is, Nibris announced they had a publisher at the same time as they announced their partnership with Frontline. neither was FRONTLINE the publisher.

the publisher as of now is completely unknown. all we know is that they have been keeping a lid on sadness for the time being. my sources pin their presence in LGC for their DS projects and E4all in october with a gameplay trailer for Sadness.

see, alot of this is just misunderstanding. there were a bit of credibility issues before, but now that they have playable code for the DS out there, there isn't much to doubt in terms of nibris's existance.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7401361&postcount=52

nategc said:
all of you will be eating crow, mark my words. ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7495226&postcount=69

doomed1 said:
i told you all. all you jaded gamers will be proven wrong about Nibris this LGC, and then at e4all as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7409308&postcount=1

doomed1 said:
i'm going to love laughing at you all after i get back from my canoeing trip, seing as i'm not going to be anywhere near civilization for LGC. i will laugh when we know their publisher and have working demos on the show floor that are demoed by the likes of IGN, gamespot, etc. in fact for good measure, considering they have playable code for two of their DS games :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7409541&postcount=10

Staccat0 said:
I'm giving this a "wait and See" rating for now. They have shown off two DS games (in a strange shitty way) and made non-gameplay trailer for a Wii game. Thats a lot of work into a fake company. They seem to talk pretty straight if you read the interview.

The gameplay concept of Sadness SOUNDS cool. I don't douobt these games are going to see the light of day (they created their of hype) but I doubt they will be that good. Especially sadness, because its a bit ambitious for such a smal dev.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7410218&postcount=26

doomed1 said:
thats true, but then, if it's proven that they're a real development team, which it has, theres no reason for them to lie. they've even shown off their Wii development kit. i think it's safe to say that sadness is being made. whether it will be good or not is up for argument. i just want to keep optimistic about the game. it paid of with Gundam Wii and ForeverBlue, and to a lesser extent red steel (hey, I liked it), why wouldnt this be at least an interesting experience?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7410423&postcount=36

doomed1 said:
well how do you know they're not bring funded by a large pub? two of those games, specifically forever blue and Gundam Wii, have dev teams that are under alot of critism. the everblue series wasnt exactly critically praised, and when was the last good gundam game? i had hope those games could be good and all impressions thus far point to exactly that. and what makes nibris anything less than a genuine dev team? they have two DS games in development, and in playable form too! give me one good reason why this game cant be good. it all depends on the dedication of the team, and they have quite a bit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7411135&postcount=40

doomed1 said:
either way, i'm gonna have to contact them to mention something about contacting further media outlets, like IGN UK or Eurogamer, to give interviews and stuff...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7413071&postcount=48

GrayFoxPL said:
Lol, looks like some people couldn't know the difference between real and fake if it hit them in the head.

Rotr looks really good for a ds game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7341768&postcount=17

Zerostatic said:
I doubt it, Nibris is a real developer, so I doubt they'd hoax a game, for example both of these DS games are also from Nibris, and these game are a lot further along then Sadness.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6253565&postcount=125

Zerostatic said:
Perhaps because Cubed3 is based in Europe as are the developers of this game? Regardless IGN and Gamespot both regard Nibris as a real developer and have coverage on some of the other games Nibris is working on so that's enough to suggest that the Company is for real. As for Sadness, I do have my doubts about how much development has been done on the game, and I also have doubts about whether it will come out or not, but I'm pretty sure they're not just straight out lying about their intent to release the game, and I do believe that there is work being done on the game as we speak.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6253674&postcount=127

Salut!

Borys

Banned
alistairw said:
There were plenty before this, but this is just from the last five months or so. It was pretty dumb before that, but you cats took being fooled to a whole new level.

Thanks for the epic lulz, kids.

Salut!

Umm... that is actually one guy, doomed1.

yilmazz

This is really getting interesting now.. I mean it all seems very shady. I sure know where I wouldn't invest any money if I had any money to invest. :|

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
VOOK said:
How Fitting, look for people bagging them instead ;)

Bugger off, you do it! :lol

Borys said:
Umm... that is actually one guy, doomed1.

Naw, there's like...three other people defending them round here. One's banned, but who's counting, right?

jesusraz

True to my word, here's the response from Nibris' PR guy:

"Of course - our graphic artist - Marek Okon - "Omen" (designer of ROTR and Children of th Night) sometimes puts some of his on this site - it is nothing unusual. Btw, he is a winner of many contests."

Lobster said:
Wow. Doomed1 was a really big supporter.
Admins aren't allowed to tell us if his email address is @nibris.com after the Jeff Bell stuff, right?

---

Wait, he's the designer of two games but not Sadness, yet that's the only labeled Nibris related piece? Doesn't explain the other art though. Do you think he went "i am drew pictors" and they went "they could be gaem!"

DDayton

sp0rsk said:
Well, I wasn't about to kill anyone!
However, I don't think we have the full picture yet. No pun intended.
Perhaps this guy IS nibris?

That's possible... an artist desperately trying to get folks together to develop a game? It could explain that blurb about representation earlier... I went to the link to the site, and it was essentially a media pr group, but mostly for comics... perhaps he knows someone in the industry who suggested that route as a way to gain notability and get funds so as to actually hire a team?

Lobster said:
How do you explain the DS game?
I don't. I merely wait to see what happens.

Raist

Banned
jesusraz said:

"Of course - our graphic artist - Marek Okon - "Omen" (designer of ROTR and Children of th Night) sometimes puts some of his on this site - it is nothing unusual. Btw, he is a winner of many contests."

And no comment on recycling artworks that have nothing to do with this supposedly new DS game, and that are more than 1 year old ?

DDayton

jesusraz said:

Are we allowed to ask what the name of the Nibris PR guy is -- or the team lead... or anything like that?

Is there a list of members of Nibris?

sprsk

Raist said:
And no comment on recycling artworks that have nothing to do with this supposedly new DS game, and that are more than 1 year old ?

umu umu.

Also, tell the pr guy NeoGAF's sp0rsk wants to interview him for the site.

I wanna settle this.

Borys

Banned
jesusraz said:

Well, GAF just got owned.

I got owned.

sp0rsk got owned.

Doubters got owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom