• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that never were...

Plissken

The Lost. Now that Irrational has finished Bioshock, maybe they can resurrect it for current-gen systems, as I recall hearing somewhere that is was canned because it was taking too long to get it running perfectly on PS2.

Fear Effect 3. I remember reading that the game was practically done, and then *poof*, nothing. I guess it was quietly canceled. :(

Demonik.

It was shown at E3 2005 and it was being published by Majesco before Majesco threw all their money away. The game looked great and had great features and a great premise. Unfortunately no publisher picked up the game and I have yet to hear anything since.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Definitely Mother 3... it looked like there was so much work done on the game, too, before it was ultimately scrapped.

1112997073.jpg

:(

Cheeto

rootdaemon said:
Demonik.

It was shown at E3 2005 and it was being published by Majesco before Majesco threw all their money away. The game looked great and had great features and a great premise. Unfortunately no publisher picked up the game and I have yet to hear anything since.
Hey at least it was in a decent movie.

Blader

rootdaemon said:
Demonik.

It was canned. Cliver Barker moved on to Jericho, which looks (more or less) like the same thing.

vesp

True Fantasy Live Online
Chakan:The Forever Man Dreamcast
Phantom Dust Spiritual Successor (unless that august 1up cover story pans out)

camineet

Banned
Power Crystal (3DO M2)

60fps Action/Adventure RPG meant to be M2's "Zelda 64 killer" in 1996-1997

pcrystalc.jpg

pcrystale.jpg

powercrystal94274.jpg

powercrystal94.jpg

description from Intelligent Gamer magazine

One exceptional title under development off site is what is being described by IG sources as the first-ever virtual reality RPG, Power Crystal. According to those who have witnessed the game in motion, the early version of the graphics engine is blazingly fast despite its use of beautiful visual effects: You can walk up to the shore line of a river or lake and see glimmering translucent water splashing the shoreline without polygon breakup, and you can then look into the water and see pebbles and sedimentary rocks in the basin. Early versions allow the player to fully walk around and explore a village.

Xav

Cancelled Sega Dreamcast games, I can't remember where I found the list.

Baldur's Gate (BioWare / SEGA)
Beach Spikers (AM2 / SEGA)
Black & White (Lionhead Studios / Krisalis)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Castlevania: Resurrection (Konami USA)
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (Codemasters)
Combat Flight Simulator see Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator
Croc 2 (Argonaut / Fox Interactive)
Daytona USA 3 (SEGA)
Extreme-G X (Acclaim Studios London)
Final Fight Revenge (Capcom)
Galleon: Islands of Mystery (Confounding Factor / Interplay)
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko (Crystal Dynamics / Eidos)
Glover 2 (Interactive Studios / Hasbro)
Grand Prix 4 see Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 3 - 2000 Season
Gun Valkyrie (Smilebit / SEGA)
Half-Life / Online (Gearbox + Captivation Digital Laboratories / Sierra)
Jet Set Radio 2 / Jet Set Radio Future (Smilebit / SEGA)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 (Crystal Dynamics / Eidos)
Max Payne (Remedy / Rockstar / Take 2 / Apogee)
Messiah (Shiny / Interplay)
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (Microsoft + Konami)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Volume 3 (Midway)
Propeller Arena Online: Aviation Battle Championship (AM2 / SEGA)
S.W.A.T. 3 (Sierra)
Shadowman: 2econd Coming (Iguana / Acclaim)
Sim City 3000 (Maxis)
Sonic & Knuckles RPG (SEGA)
Soul Reaver 2: Legacy of Kain: (Crystal Dynamics)
Streets of Rage 4 (SEGA)
Super Monkey Ball (Amusement Vision / SEGA)
SWAT 3: Close Quarters Battle (Sierra)
System Shock 2 (Looking Glass Studios / Vatical Entertainment)
The House of the Dead 3 (SEGA)
Time Crisis II (Namco)
Toe Jam & Earl III
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (Iguana US / Acclaim)
Unreal (GT Interactive)
Virtua Golf (Wow Entertainment / SEGA)
Virtua Striker 3 (Amusement Vision / SEGA)
Wipeout (Psygnosis Liverpool Studio)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Bear with me, but I just have the faintest of faint memories regarding this game - maybe someone can ID it for me -

-It was supposed to come out on the PS1, and the whole premise was that there was this ball (tire?) that rolled down a hill that the player controlled, and you were supposed to fuck as much shit up on the way down as you could. You'd earn cash to upgrade your ball/tire by adding spikes and other things to it.

-I THINK the game had a Caveman/BC theme to it... like you were wrecking up villages and stuff. But maybe not.

-It had a behind-the-back 3D perspective, like those Crash Bandicoot levels.

...and that's all I remember. Younger Justin read a preview of that game like 11 years ago and thought it sounded like the most awesome game ever. I don't think it ever came out.

djtiesto

GDJustin said:
Bear with me, but I just have the faintest of faint memories regarding this game - maybe someone can ID it for me -

-It was supposed to come out on the PS1, and the whole premise was that there was this ball (tire?) that rolled down a hill that the player controlled, and you were supposed to fuck as much shit up on the way down as you could. You'd earn cash to upgrade your ball/tire by adding spikes and other things to it.

-I THINK the game had a Caveman/BC theme to it... like you were wrecking up villages and stuff. But maybe not.

-It had a behind-the-back 3D perspective, like those Crash Bandicoot levels.

...and that's all I remember. Younger Justin read a preview of that game like 11 years ago and thought it sounded like the most awesome game ever. I don't think it ever came out.

Killwheel?

GDJustin

djtiesto said:
Killwheel?

Huh... I think that just might have been it:

http://www.boomhower.com/titles.html

Killwheel

KillWheel's basic premise: You play a two headed ogre who races through lush valleys and green forests in a big spiked wheel smashing the villages of peaceful elves and halflings. Not very well adjusted, but entirely original. Unfortunately Killwheel never made it across the finish line. You need more than originality to get published, and KillWheel just didn't have fun enough gameplay to go along with its wacky premise.

killwheel.jpg

I don't even remember enough about the game to know if that's it or not. This certainly fits the bill, though. I bet this is the same game. all I remember is reading one short blurb in a mag and thinking it was THE MOST AWESOMEST IDEA EVER.

In fact I'm in my 20s now and I still kinda think that. I want a XBLA game where I roll downhill in a wheel and wreck shit up.

segarr

Core407 said:
I think my biggest disappointment was with Fate. I remember when they announced the MMO for the Xbox and how everyone was claiming it to be the next big thing. I think they promised region-specific langauges that players would have to learn and along side the ability to own homes and what-not.

Holy crap...as soon as I read the title of this thread this game popped into my mind...I'm shocked that I'm not the only person who remembers this thing.

In retrospect, it probably wouldn't have been that great, but it's one of those games that had me really excited about the idea when I first read about it.

Thrill Kill is a blast... Damn you sensorship for not giving us the full retail version and the Wu-tang Shaolin style sucked.

There are like 100's of games I have waited for that failed to show up in the end, but Ill have to check some names later

GDJustin

GDJustin said:
Huh... I think that just might have been it:

http://www.boomhower.com/titles.html

killwheel.jpg

I don't even remember enough about the game to know if that's it or not. This certainly fits the bill, though. I bet this is the same game. all I remember is reading one short blurb in a mag and thinking it was THE MOST AWESOMEST IDEA EVER.

In fact I'm in my 20s now and I still kinda think that. I want a XBLA game where I roll downhill in a wheel and wreck shit up.

Not that I wanna continue having a conversation with myself, but anyway, a little internet-sluething revealed to me that the game got a name change to Torc: Legend of the Ogre Crown. There's much more info (and videos of a leaked build) floating around under that name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHaG2NDrxSY

Shame the game was never released.

Edit: HAHAHA I found the *exact* blurb I read that I mentioned in my first post, that got me so excited about the game as a kid:

Killwheel_GamePro-10_97.jpg

After reading that and re-reading my original post, I'm impressed with my memory. My fuzzy descrip. of the game was pretty damn accurate.

djtiesto

GDJustin said:
Not that I wanna continue having a conversation with myself, but anyway, a little internet-sluething revealed to me that the game got a name change to Torc: Legend of the Ogre Crown. There's much more info (and videos of a leaked build) floating around under that name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHaG2NDrxSY

Shame the game was never released.

Edit: HAHAHA I found the *exact* blurb I read that I mentioned in my first post, that got me so excited about the game as a kid:

Killwheel_GamePro-10_97.jpg

After reading that and re-reading my original post, I'm impressed with my memory. My fuzzy descrip. of the game was pretty damn accurate.

Don't worry about that, I think your information is interesting... the Gamepro preview is what I remember the game from... the graphics looked pretty nice for PS1 3D, and the concept sounded kinda cool, too (a precursor to Katamari? Heh.) I'll have to look more into Torc: Legend of the Ogre Crown... still a shame this never came out.

kensey

Miner Willy Meets The Taxman.

But that was a long time ago.

I remember getting very excited about Rev Limit on the N64, but it was not to be.

Lamborghini for Dreamcast, theres even a demo still in exsistance but no final game :(

Was going to be the DC's first online racing game also.

Top Bottom