• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata and Itoi chat over supper

ziran

"Mr. Iwata, president of Nintendo came to our office. We had a nice talk over supper."

3492g53.jpg

1. The Definition of Idea

2. View Things over Someone Else's Shoulder

3. Something Special about Mr.Miyamoto

4. On Management: "Enhance your Strength"

5. People Try to Show Superiority

6. Finding your Reward

7. The Programmer's Pattern of Logic

8. The King and the Slave

9. Don't do the Easy

10. Trying to Answer Questions

11. Reminiscence of the IT Manager

Shigesato Itoi is the creator of the Mother (Earthbound) series and a famous writer in Japan.

Excellent series!

Click on the English icon to increase the size of the text.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
He also had a blog entry a few weeks ago that said he went to Nintendo, I wonder if he's working on something new for them (not Mother obviously).

Andy787

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Does it include Itoi complaining about that lack of a Mother 3 release in NA?
If it does not, and is not also followed up by an Iwata graciously admitting his fatal error and promptly greenlighting it for release in NA, then this chat is an utter and total failure, and should be impugned from the records of history.

carlos

jj984jj said:
He also had a blog entry a few weeks ago that said he went to Nintendo, I wonder if he's working on something new for them (not Mother obviously).

Surely it's "Shigesato Itoi's Bass Fishing", with Wii(tm) gestures ;)

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I think that's in part the brilliance of Iwata. He understands organization and management and how that applies to creativity. His rise through Nintendo's ranks is really remarkable.

Andy787 said:
If it does not, and is not also followed up by an Iwata graciously admitting his fatal error and promptly greenlighting it for release in NA, then this chat is an utter and total failure, and should be impugned from the records of history.

A-fucking-men to that.

QFMFT.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PolyGone said:
I believe they were responsible for Heroes of Mana (the sprites at least looked like Brownie Brown's style)
Yeah, and the other team did Magical Starsign.

ziran

I couldn't agree more with the comments about how much Iwata gets it. I love the manner in which people from Nintendo talk, and Itoi's also great, it's the kind of thing which shows you how creative and human you can be in your outlook for everything.

Really looking forward to future instalments! :D

grandjedi6 said:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/grandjedi6/photo_01.jpg
Yeah, I realised I should've added the pic, it's updated now. Looks like a very pleasant evening!

jj984jj said:
I hope so.

Itoi and his staff seem to enjoy Wii from their enthusiastic responses when the system launched, and I'd guess Iwata isn't the kind of person to just drop round for a chat and allow it transcribed, translated and published. Hopefully this is a hint to them working on something with Nintendo for Wii.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
did Iwata mention why his asshole company won't bring Mother 3 to the states? :mad:

There was a decision to do either Mother 3 or Magical Vacation, and Nintendo went for the better game instead.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
These Nintendo interviews and such are so interesting. I'd love to talk to Iwata about games.

Hehe the things they talk about sound so simple and almost trivial :)

Iwata said:
This really isn't limited to game design. The world is full of "damned if you do, damned if you don'ts". You call it "trade-off". Everyone is confronted with trade-offs. The more budget, the better. The more human resource, the better. The more time, the better. That's obvious. However, doing the obvious means doing the same thing with everyone else. That doesn't nurture competitiveness.

On the other hand, they acted according to these "trivial" principles, and look what's come out of it. Awesome stuff. I love how Nintendo has always talked about their strategy, from saying "graphics don't count" during the GC years, and practically explaining everything they were doing with the DS and the Wii to everyone. They're just another corporation, but these people at least seem to think in terms of ideas and games, not "products" and "consumers" (although I loved the Jack Tretton E3 speech which was very typical corporate-speak...but very honest, he kept calling people "consumers" at least :-D).

Log4Girlz

mj1108 said:
Awesome Iwata pic at the link. :lol

title.jpg

Someone has to photoshop a DS in that dude hand's sitting in the middle and cash coming out of Iwata's pockets lol.

Edit: Wait I think that IS a DS in his hands.

Tristam

scola said:
Iwata: "lol thanks for dinner bitches. now get back to work."

:lol :lol :lol

I laughed at that way more than I should have. Maybe it's because I only got three hours of sleep last night.

Top Bottom