• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata and Itoi chat over supper

Hero

Good stuff in these interviews. Lots of insightful observations and experience within the gaming industry, it's almost scary.

sp0rsk said:
Iwata pretty much calls out the whole gaming industry there.

And rightly so.

As much as we all hate what they are doing with Links Crossbow and cancelling games aimed to regular gamers, he's created a monster at Nintendo, and as long as that continues we have to be happy getting our regular Mario fix and Smash Bros, whilst they get more people in.

.dmc

Banned
Itoi The contents will be so predictable if it came out soon..
Iwata Yes, like "let's improve the graphics a bit more".
Itoi Or, "let's stick the controllers to our feet and play soccer".
Iwata Or maybe sign contracts with professional athletes and create Mii that looks just like them
Itoi Why not? (laugh)

LOL @ FIFA 08 designers :lol

apujanata

And now I know, why there was not Brain Age 3 yet. Nice update, today. I also found out why Wii is as succesfull at it is today.

ziran

10. Trying to Answer Questions
Iwata Now that I'm in my position, I can connect what's written in books and what happens around me. When I was specializing in programming, reading books on management or enterprise organization only helped me gain information. It was only information, so the knowledge didn't soak in. Gaining information doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment if it's not something you can try tomorrow. You don't feel the "reward".
The difference between knowledge and information. A simple concept, but difficult to grasp.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Itoi Remember when I asked why lags are caused in international phone calls?

Iwata Yes.

Itoi Electronic waves are transmitted instantly, but when you make international calls, there's a lag. I remember asking this question out of the blue, but you gave me an answer right away.

Iwata Let's see... phone calls used to have more lags in the old days. Although underwater cables are frequently used for international calls now, satellites were used before. Stationary satellites are located about 36000km away from the surface of the earth. So the voice is transmitted to 36000km above, and then 36000km down, which is over 70000km in total. When someone says "Hello", and the other answers "Hello", the signal makes two round trips, which is a total of a little over 140000km. Light and electronic waves are transmitted about 300000km per second, so the signal takes about 0.4 seconds to be transmitted 140000km. So when you say "Hello" and the other answers "Hello" back, there is approximately a 0.4 second lag.

Itoi And he answered this instantly.

All Wow. (laugh)

Itoi Isn't it amazing? What caught me was not only the numerical figures that he answered, but that he included the "Hello" back in his calculation.

Amazing? If someone could give me answers like that, I'd be downright flabbergasted. 0.o

i think the guy is a genius

If he can keep his train of thoughts, he'll been an industry leader one day. as revered as Miyamoto is/was. and then more.

I dread to think of a HDWii and a powered DS with Wii/six axis equivilant functions being developed at the moment.

Dualist

Banned
I've never liked Iwata, and this dinner conversation hasn't changed my mind on him. I still partially blame him for the recent demise in quality at Nintendo. After Yamauchi left, thats when I started seeing it.

Agreed, Iwata is a visionary and a great pragmatist. Which happen to be the qualities you need to be a great leader. He is responsible for Nintendo's radical reinvention, and like he said he's not done yet.

Tenbatsu

LegendofJoe said:
Agreed, Iwata is a visionary and a great pragmatist. Which happen to be the qualities you need to be a great leader. He is responsible for Nintendo's radical reinvention, and like he said he's not done yet.

Hiroshi Yamauchi certainly was leaving the company in good hands.

camineet

Banned
they're discussing Nintendo's next DS and Wii systems and also what the world will be like when Iwata becomes world President and Miyamoto becomes Pope. :D

camineet

Banned
Dualist said:
I've never liked Iwata, and this dinner conversation hasn't changed my mind on him. I still partially blame him for the recent demise in quality at Nintendo. After Yamauchi left, thats when I started seeing it.

I see just the opposite.

Dualist

Banned
LegendofJoe said:

Gameboy Micro and Gamecube was clearly the Nintendo radical reinvention. I believe you are giving Iwata too much credit for his responsibility of the Wii.

Dualist said:
Gameboy Micro and Gamecube was clearly the Nintendo radical reinvention. I believe you are giving Iwata too much credit for his responsibility of the Wii.

My two favourite modern day consoles. While I see a huge potential for Wii atm, I'll wait on buying one. Maybe once I get a job/money, finish my 50+ games backlog.

diddlyD

Banned
Gamecube sales:

3492g53.jpg

Wii sales:

photo_08.jpg

mCACGj

Regardless of whether the Wii and DS development/success was due to Iwata, I think you really have to give him credit for the best thing to happen to Nintendo (and the world), which is of course Sakurai developing Smash Brothers Brawl. That alone, is enough for me to bow to Iwata as a master.

Linkup

mCACGj said:
Regardless of whether the Wii and DS development/success was due to Iwata, I think you really have to give him credit for the best thing to happen to Nintendo (and the world), which is of course Sakurai developing Smash Brothers Brawl. That alone, is enough for me to bow to Iwata as a master.

Iwata doesn't even consider the Wii a success. He still has plans apparently and no doubt when they are carried out the wii complaining will only increase.

PolyGone

Banned
Dualist said:

...how could you not like the man after reading that international phone call segment?

ziran

Excellent series!

The best conversation/interviews I've read since the Iwata Asks series, if not arguably better. Some great life lessons in there and it's safe to say Nintendo is in excellent hands.

Dualist said:

I can't be the only one who doesn't think there ever was a 'radical reinvention' of Nintendo. Nintendo from day one has always been about the most mainstream audience possible, which is why they stayed so "kiddie" throughout their history. They just didn't always quite know how to reach it, is all.

Avrum

That international phone call lag explanation was insane.

Much like the Iwata Asks articles, I really wish this thing didn't end so soon. :(

Cheerilee

mCACGj said:
Rumor is that Iwata's the one who made Sakurai quit Nintendo in the first place, by forcing him to make Kirby's Air Ride against his will.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Avrum said:
That international phone call lag explanation was insane.

Much like the Iwata Asks articles, I really wish this thing didn't end so soon. :(

Oh man, those Iwata Asks sessions were awesome. He better do some for Mario Galaxy and SSBB if he knows what's good for him. *shakes fist*

ruby_onix said:
Rumor is that Iwata's the one who made Sakurai quit Nintendo in the first place, by forcing him to make Kirby's Air Ride against his will.

I doubt that...Sakurai always wanted to leave and make original stuff, he just had to wait until all his prior obligations were finished

Wow, this was great reading, Iwata really seems to have thought a lot about these topics, great insights. I have to agree on that Nintendo is in good hands, some of his theories are eye-openers.

Neomoto

I've read all of them since the first one started and I have to say that they are indeed very interesting and insightfull (plus fun to read). Shame that it's already over. Just like with those Iwata Ask's series, I hope that they continue with these indepth articles/interviews because they are amongst the very best I have ever read that are gaming related. It would particually be very interesting to have those on games like Galaxy and Brawl because the background and situation of those games.

This helps a business student like me. To see how managers think, how to treat employees and how to make the workplace productive. All the articles were great, I hope they do more interviews.

Top Bottom