• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3 NMA interview

No Mutants Allowed

had an interview with Pete Hines about Fallout 3 (and the demo shown)

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=38623

ALSO!!!, NMA recounts the Demo with a 4 page preview of what they saw!
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=38620

This Q&A was conducted with Bethesda's PR head Pete Hines at the Game Conference in Leipzig, in two parts by SuAside and Brother None

Fallout 3 Q&A

NMA: How do you explain the omnipresence of nuclear explosions -both from nuclear powered cars, from the Fatman and from Megaton- in the game, while in the original games nuclear power (especially explosions) was treated with much consideration and respect, thereby making it a rare occurrence whenever it was used. The same goes for radiation itself. In the originals, it was extremely lethal if you didn't take the right precautions, but in the demonstration we see plenty of times where radiation is more seen like a trivial matter. Standing next to an exploded nuclear car barely gives off any radiation.

Pete Hines: In the demonstration there are a lot of nuclear explosions, like the Fatman, that seem very present, but this won't be so in the actual game. I can assure you that ammunition for the Fatman will be very scarce indeed and that it won't be treated lightly. As for the strength of radiation, much of it is simply game balance. While we want the game to be raw and cold, we also want the game to be fun. We're, of course, still balancing the radiation strength and impact.

NMA: What is the explanation for the posh english speaking Mr Handy calling you names behind your back? It seems to me that -like the Mr Handy example- a lot of the humour shown in the demonstration leans to slapstick humour rather than the dark humour of the old Fallouts.

Pete Hines: Well, you simply don't know why the robot acts as he does. It could be many things. It is possible that someone might have reprogrammed him this way. And the fact that a lot of the humour might seem different from the original is mostly because the demonstration is a heavily fastforwarded playthrough. In such an environment it might seem that the bulk of the humour used leans to slapstick, but in fact that isn't true.

NMA: We've seen in the demonstration that Speech influences your dialogue options, but what other statistics will influence it as well?

Pete Hines: Well, you'll see that Science for instance can allow you to give a scientific explanation and to use that knowledge in dialogue. This will be very technical and not reliant on your Speech skill. The same is true for Repair and so on. So you'll be able to use those as well.

NMA: When engaged in real time combat, are the attacks affected by your character's skills?

Pete Hines: Yes, all combat is governed by die rolls. So if you fire in real time and aim perfectly, you might still fail a roll and miss your target.

NMA: Will AC/dodge/etc affect your chance to hit? In the originals, chance to hit was often misunderstood because it was lowered for a powerarmored enemy, while the target was big and bulky as ever. It basically meant that you had less chance to hit WITH damage.

Pete Hines: Armor will not give you more chance to dodge or more chance for the shot to miss entirely. It simply comes into account in damage reduction. As you saw in the demonstration, armored mutants were as easily hit as non-armored mutants, but the damage done was not the same.

NMA: In 2004, Tim Cain stated in a PC Zone interview that Fallout's combat was meant to show "how popular and fun turn-based combat could be, when everyone else was going with real-time or pause-based combat.", so why did Bethesda go against that? Wouldn't it also have been a lot easier to not naming the game Fallout 3 and simply naming it "Fallout: Something", thereby starting your own series with your own views without leaving yourself open to much fan criticism?

Pete Hines: We're making the sequel as we think it would be best in the modern age and how it would work best today. This means taking full advantage of all modern technology and first person to facilitate immersion. There is no reason today not to do so. We also didn't want to make our 'own' series because we want to make a true sequel to the first two Fallouts.

NMA: Apparently not everyone is pleased with Bethesda's interpretation of Fallout. NMA, RPGcodex and DaC are a few of the oldest Fallout communities around and none of them seem to accept Bethesda's view on things, or are at least very skeptical about the game. Why is it that the communication with those communities is difficult at best?

Pete Hines: We are in contact with those communities and they receive the same treatment as all the other communities. We frequently read them and we understand exactly what it is they want. The problem is however that they've had years to think about what they wanted and create a view of what Fallout 3 should be that could never be possible today. They're still stuck 8 years back in their views of Fallout 3. It simply wouldn't work.

NMA: There was no mêlée combat from the PC in the demo.

Pete Hines: There was no PC mêlée combat in the demo because it wasn't implemented in this build yet. There will be mêlée in the final game.

NMA: What kind of mêlée can we expect, something like Oblivion?

Pete Hines: It'll be quite different than Oblivion. A lot of the focus on combat here is for ranged combat, because you really have to take guns into account, and it's different from just swinging a sword. A lot of time is spent on balancing ranged combat and AI tactics.

NMA: Is there more to supermutants than meets the eyes or are they just the evil enemy?

Pete Hines: There's definitely a backstory. Actually, people have been discussing this a lot, "what are supermutants doing on the East Coast," while the reason is a pretty good and simple one. We're kind of surprised nobody has figured it out yet.

NMA: Will you be able to finish the game without killing anyone?

Pete Hines: We don't know yet. We're trying to make it so that you have options to use stealth or dialogue. The lead designer of Fallout 3 is Emil Pagiarulo, who worked on the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion and on the Thief games. He has a lot of experience with using stealth to solve problems. But obviously, when you're talking about supermutants, dialogue really isn't a viable option. So I can't really say whether or not you can finish the game without killing anyone, but implementing alternative paths is very important for us.

NMA: Is the game fully voiced? If so, won't that limit the amount of dialogue?

Pete Hines: Yes, the game is fully voiced. But it won't really limit the amount of dialogue, because unlike Oblivion, we only have a couple of hundred of NPCs here, and you can really put in as much dialogue as you want when you have so few NPCs without hitting any limits.

NMA: I noticed APs were regenerating a bit quick in the demo, that's because...

Pete Hines: That's just for purposes of the demo. The same as with the high HPs and to-hit percentages of the PC, we just cheated a bit to make the demo run along more smoothly.

"The lead designer of Fallout 3 is Emil Pagiarulo, who worked on the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion and on the Thief games."

this gives me hope!

although I think even if the game isnt quite what hard hardcore fallout fans want, im sure itll come with a construction kit, and in a way that could be a huge blessing, and hopefully they can take their passion for hating on everything and pour it into some killer game mods (like francescos in oblivion for instance).

Tyrannical said:
Does Fallout basicly use the Oblivion engine?
How come no one can ever ask the simple yet important questions?

Because we all know the real answer, and that they'd probably dodge the question like the guy here did with some of these questions?

Pretty nice of Bethesda to give an interview to NMA, even though they are a bunch of whiney elitist babies.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game. I'm a huge fan of Fallout 1 and 2, and I like what I have seen so far of 3.

Considering the nature of their other games, I seriously doubt Bethesda is capable of the biting humour in the first two.

Vyse The Legend said:
Pretty nice of Bethesda to give an interview to NMA, even though they are a bunch of whiney elitist babies.
I think it's cool that there are hardcore communities for great games, but, regardless of who made Fallout 3, they would not be able to live up to the sky-high expectations of such a fanbase. It's just like me with Wasteland...whenever it does happen, I know that it could never meet my highest expectations...but I try not to think about it too much as to try not to color my view unfairly on the final release. An open mind is pretty much required if you have any hope of seeing the game for what it is and not for what it isn't.

Anyway, I can't wait for this game. I'm a huge fan of Fallout 1 and 2, and I like what I have seen so far of 3.
I agree.

ah

NMA also recounted what they saw in the demo in detail

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=38620

OP updated.

Full Ron Pearlman intro!

War. War never changes. Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything, from God to justice to simple psychotic rage.

In the year 2077, after millennia of armed conflict, the destructive nature of man could sustain itself no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of nuclear fire and radiation.

But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world. Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of human history. For man had succeeded in destroying the world...but war, war never changes.

In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of the holocaust by taking refuge in enormous underground shelters, known as vaults. But when they emerged they had only the hell of the wasted to greet them. All, except those in Vault 101. For on the fateful day, when fire rained from the sky, the giant steel door of Vault 101 slid closed... and never reopened. It was here you were born. It is here you will die because, in Vault 101, no one ever enters and no one ever leaves.

:boner

Vyse The Legend said:

I heard this was at an open press conference and that the NMA interviewer went by a different name, so Bethesda didn't know it was a NMA person in disguise.

Flo

After reading the impressions of those NMA guys.... I'm really convinced that they need to chill out and take the radstick out of their collective a**. They should be grateful they're even making a Fallout 3..

Its as if they're expecting them to make an exact replica of the first game.

TheHeretic said:
Considering the nature of their other games, I seriously doubt Bethesda is capable of the biting humour in the first two.

Yeah, no chance. Interplay/Black Isle had some amazing writers, something Bethesda has never had...

When you could have gotten a real Fallout 3 -- either a completed version of Van Buren, which looked so incredible in that techdemo, or from Troika, who was interested in making one before they went out of business, and instead get Oblivion with Guns (I know, "it's not Oblivion with guns". Then why does the first-person shooting gameplay look like Oblivion with guns? Because Bethesda can't get that far away from TES...)

Oh, sure, it might end up good for what it's trying to do. But it's not Fallout as it was or could have been, and (as is the trend with pretty much all PC RPGs these last few years) I don't see any way that its combat is exactly going to impress the hardcore PC RPG audience. Just like TES.

true, but sadly that market just doesnt seem to sustain itself anymore it seems....

i mean look at Troika (altho activision fucked them over with bloodlines).

and my biggest beef with oblivion was the scaled content, I enjoyed the game untill I found out about that, so fallout 3 is already better in that respect.

Phthisis

Tyrannical said:
Does Fallout basicly use the Oblivion engine?
How come no one can ever ask the simple yet important questions?

No need to ask when Bethesda confirmed it's a version of the Oblivion engine almost right off the bat at their E3 presentation.

Short answer to your question: yes.

Long answer: they said that since they've been working with the engine for nearly 8 years, they feel they have a good grasp on what they're doing with it for Fallout 3. They also said that Oblivion was a big learning experience for them in terms of development with it, and they're confident that Fallout 3 will be a showcase of their familiarity and experience with it, which I assume will translate to quality in Fallout 3.

Hope that helps :)

ZombieSupaStar said:
No boner. Change a few words and it's another DAWN OF THE SECOND AGE OF THE THIRD ERA FANTASY QUAFF QUAFF QUAFF speech.

I mean... 'abyss', 'apocalypse', 'holocaust', 'hell'... slow down there Bethesda.

Dina

Shake Appeal said:
No boner. Change a few words and it's another DAWN OF THE SECOND AGE OF THE THIRD ERA FANTASY QUAFF QUAFF QUAFF speech.

I mean... 'abyss', 'apocalypse', 'holocaust', 'hell'... slow down there Bethesda.

It's like Medal Of Band Of Highway To Duty

Didn't liked it, the guy sounded like he was outraged and ready to beat up the Bethesda PR guy. Although I'm not a big fan of them.

Alts

I have had such low expectations of this game, that so long as it doesn't detonate my computer, I will be moderately pleased.

I also have zero faith in any Fallout modders. I have not seen a single good mod move beyond the concept phase (which sounded genuinely interesting).

Prime crotch said:
Didn't liked it, the guy sounded like he was outraged and ready to beat up the Bethesda PR guy. Although I'm not a big fan of them.

I'm ready to beat up the PR dude.

Lovely quote. Too many cars around, and the explosions being a core mechanic of combat seems silly.
Going further down the crater, it's clear that Megaton is heavily inspired by Junktown, showing the same kind of haphazard construction. No cars were used for this town, which can only be considered natural since cars explode all the time.

Brendon

Shake Appeal said:

It may be generic, but I'll be damned if Ron's voice didn't make me hang on every word.

Clevinger

A Black Falcon said:
Because we all know the real answer, and that they'd probably dodge the question like the guy here did with some of these questions?

It was one of the first things revealed about the game, you fanatical douche.

Zenith

Banned
They're still stuck 8 years back in their views of Fallout 3. It simply wouldn't work

nelson-muntz.gif

HA HA!

Tieno

Some of those questions are pretty funny.
Loved the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion, it was excellent! Never played a Fallout game but I'm very excited for this.

dollartaco said:
So I'm behind a bit, but is NMA filled with bratty manchildren?
Pretty much, but that's true of just about any long time site and community that focuses on one game or franchise. It starts with mostly reasonable hardcores and, through years of personal reinforcement, ends with insular zealots who must have it their way or it just sucks. Nothing wrong with being hardcore, but most of the really vocal ones will tend to be a bit unrealistic and unwilling to evolve or accept too much change. Not saying that Bethsoft can't miss the target with F3, but it's likely to generate hate from these folks no matter how great it could be.

Maztorre

dollartaco said:
So I'm behind a bit, but is NMA filled with bratty manchildren?

It's probably the worst community created around a videogame ever. Somehow worse than the lowest of the Sonic fansites.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Maztorre said:
It's probably the worst community created around a videogame ever. Somehow worse than the lowest of the Sonic fansites.

While NMA tends to be the biggest group of douchebags out of all fan communities, at least they haven't created a site so they can marry the characters from the games. At least I hope they haven't.

Jenga

Banned
Maztorre said:
worse than the lowest of the Sonic fansites.
Nuh-uh, no way. Not even close. Anyways, I really do think they should give the NMA guys more interviews. Yes, they're fanatical, but they ask the hardest questions and this is what we all pay attention to.

Huggy

Screaming_Gremlin said:
While NMA tends to be the biggest group of douchebags out of all fan communities, at least they haven't created a site so they can marry the characters from the games. At least I hope they haven't.

Scuseme?

Jenga said:
Nuh-uh, no way. Not even close. Anyways, I really do think they should give the NMA guys more interviews. Yes, they're fanatical, but they ask the hardest questions and this is what we all pay attention to.

Yeah, the hate is tangible in their review of the demo, but I have to agree with most of the implicit complaints they make. Yes Fallout was over the top and ridiculous in some areas, but nuclear weapons that function the same as grenades, that's just retarded and a disgrace to the whole post-nuclear thing imho.

Some bits I liked (or saw truth in) in the comments they made:

NMA said:
-----------------
The Brotherhood of Steel

Disciplined demeanour is also way off the originals, as SuAside never pictured a BoS squad as running around helmetless while constantly flinging insults and macho taunts. Not to mention the fact that they just allow the PC to pick up a laser weapon from a dying soldier whereas most of their troops are equipped with significantly less effective assault
rifles

-------------------
Supermutants

While a backstory is assured, Pete Hines also notes conversations with supermutants aren't an option, and they are presented in the demo simply as evil, swarming enemies. Whether or not they'll have an in-depth backstory or background organisation like the Unity is unknown.

--------------------
VATS

Of course, I haven't played it yet, so this analysis is slightly presumptuous. However, having seen it play out, I can say the only new things it seems to add are the slow-motion cinematic viewing of the effects of your hit (which strikes me as something that will get annoying quick and does not actually affect the real gameplay in any way) and importing Fallout's aiming system into BioWare's RTwP.

-------------------
Maturity

A large worry is the maturity of this game. Pleasant memories of promises of ignoring Fallout BoS and preferring Fallout 1 to Fallout 2 faded while watching the demo*. Pete Hines assures us the high density of slapstick humor, is just for demo purposes. In which case I have to shudder at how bad this demo is for showing off the game, but on the other hand there are reasons to doubt Pete Hines' words.

---------------------
Atmosphere/Style

This is like a roller coaster ride through most of the demo. I got a nagging feeling halfway through it that once you leave the Vault, Bethesda didn't really know what they wanted any more. [...]But once you're out of the vault, the inspiration seems to drop off as direct points of reference to a consistent and original vision are missing. That might sound worse than it is, but a comparison to Bioshock jumps to mind. Bioshock was original, visionary, consistent and executed well.

* Especially unnerving.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Huggy said:

Shawn Elliot from GFW talked about it on their podcast awhile back. Apparently there is a Sonic site out there where the members print certificates declaring they are married to Sonic and his shitty friends.

Mamesj

Banned
They're still stuck 8 years back in their views of Fallout 3. It simply wouldn't work.

Nice!

Wow, these are the first guys I've seen say they don't like what they've seen of Fallout 3.

Takuan

I understand that Bethesda wants this game to appeal to as wide an audience as possible for the sake of sales. However, I don't see a casual reacting very positively when he's got his cursor right on an enemy's head but winds up missing wildly upon firing. I also see having to wait between shots being a problem with most of today's gamers. The way they've described it, combat sounds like a dysfunctional mess no matter what the audience.

Add the fact that the game won't look wildly impressive by Fall '08 - at this point it's barely on-par, aesthetically, with games out now - and you're left with a potential commercial failure. I don't care how good the writing is; with restricted combat in an FPS and lackluster visuals, you're limited to the hardcore audience, which in this case has already written the game off. Who's going to buy an average-looking game with broken (from Joe Gamer's standpoint) shooting mechanics in Fall '08? I probably will, but I certainly don't represent the average gamer, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Bethesda still has more than a year to work on Fallout 3, so they might change the way combat works completely as it nears release. I'm still pretty eager to see more of what they've done with the universe and if their writers have a knack for dark humor. I also hope the game has several types of power armor because what they've got in the teaser is FUCKING UGLY.

ZombieSupaStar said:
"The lead designer of Fallout 3 is Emil Pagiarulo, who worked on the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion and on the Thief games."
That should put to rest and concerns the Fallout fans are having about Bethesda making Fallout 3.

The Dark Brotherhood questline was the best part of Oblivion!

snack said:
That should put to rest and concerns the Fallout fans are having about Bethesda making Fallout 3.

The Dark Brotherhood questline was the best part of Oblivion!

If that was the best part, I am worried. It's one of the few things I bothered doing.

Mamesj said:
Wow, these are the first guys I've seen say they don't like what they've seen of Fallout 3.

That's because NMA and their RPGCodex allies are straight out of the insane asylum and pathologically hate everything, and their ability to appreicate evolution and progress in game design is so stunted that it makes Nintendo fans look forward thinking and progressive in comparison.

They are have zero ethics for going into the closed doors showing and never disclosed their ties to the high profile fansite that they supplied a CURIOUSLY extremely well-detailed preview despite instructions that recording was disallowed, and then tried to pass off said detail by copying information from other web sites that also broke the rules. Not only are they a bunch of retards, they are total scum as well. The last thing that gaming needs is PR people that are even more paranoid than they already are.

Note that I'm no fan of Bethesda by any means-I liken Oblivion as the RPG equivalent of Cici's Pizza Buffet-but it's important to give them a fair shake, and so far their game has been a big hit with the actual gaming press every time it's been shown.

The CRPG fan scene is so painful for me, because it's a genre I have adored for decades and the fan scene is full of the most backward and addled loudmouths on the entire god damn internet.

DeBurgo

A Black Falcon said:
What questions was he dodging in this interview? All the answers seemed pretty direct, unless you count "it's just the demo" or "we haven't implemented it yet" as dodging the question.

Fragamemnon said:
They are have zero ethics for going into the closed doors showing and never disclosed their ties to the high profile fansite that they supplied a CURIOUSLY extremely well-detailed preview despite instructions that recording was disallowed, and then tried to pass off said detail by copying information from other web sites that also broke the rules.

What are you trying to say?

Not only are they a bunch of retards, they are total scum as well. The last thing that gaming needs is PR people that are even more paranoid than they already are.

Note that I'm no fan of Bethesda by any means-I liken Oblivion as the RPG equivalent of Cici's Pizza Buffet-but it's important to give them a fair shake, and so far their game has been a big hit with the actual gaming press every time it's been shown.

Just like Oblivion. Look, why do you agree on the one hand that Oblivion is a shitty RPG and on the other condemn NMA for making sound complaints? Everyone's quick to say they are a bunch a retards and elitist bastards. But the piece didn't read that way at all. Everything they said made perfect sense. And I had pretty high hopes for Fallout 3, even despite my feelings toward Oblivion.

Oblivion isn't shitty. It just wasn't to my tastes. There's a huge, huge difference between asserting that a game is garbage and saying that you don't like the game. That's my main axe to grind with NMA and the RPGCodex folk in general-they assume that their orthodoxy is very much the one true way for CRPGs, and they are pretty much totally closeminded to new ideas and designs that will move the genre forward because those new ideas can't be reconciled with their narrow definition of CRPG gaming.

Every print reviewer or legitimate, experienced web site writer made huge reservations about FO3 the minute it was annouced as being made by Bethesda. Almost all of them are now praising the game and many have written that their fears that Bethesda would botch the game seem unfounded. I tend to agree-from what I've seen of the game sofar in both print previews and media, it looks to be a great modern riff on the original two Fallout games.

As for the text of the review-I wouldn't trust a damn word that they say. Their fanaticism is one thing, but their 'ethical flexbility' in how that information was obtained makes me suspect of the whole article. I'll still with legitimate-and less dogmatic-sources for my gaming intelligence.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Classy of Bethesda to not allow the guy who actually put NMA on his registration into the conference.

And despite their zealotry, I still value having a group of people like this to cut through the bullshit found on most 'gaming journalism' sites.

Everybody will eat dirt when Fallout 3 comes out as a GOTY contender.

I would have loved it too is BI's Tech Demo had been completed and released, but then for Year 2008 that might have been outdated in some way.

I am not going to hate Bethseda for what they think is best, the game is going to be great.

Fragamemnon said:
Oblivion isn't shitty. It just wasn't to my tastes. There's a huge, huge difference between asserting that a game is garbage and saying that you don't like the game. That's my main axe to grind with NMA and the RPGCodex folk in general-they assume that their orthodoxy is very much the one true way for CRPGs, and they are pretty much totally closeminded to new ideas and designs that will move the genre forward because those new ideas can't be reconciled with their narrow definition of CRPG gaming.

You would think that, but they mention Bioshock as being 'original, visionary, consistent and executed well'.

Every print reviewer or legitimate, experienced web site writer made huge reservations about FO3 the minute it was annouced as being made by Bethesda. Almost all of them are now praising the game and many have written that their fears that Bethesda would botch the game seem unfounded. I tend to agree-from what I've seen of the game sofar in both print previews and media, it looks to be a great modern riff on the original two Fallout games.

As do I. Going on screenshots.

As for the text of the review-I wouldn't trust a damn word that they say. Their fanaticism is one thing, but their 'ethical flexbility' in how that information was obtained makes me suspect of the whole article. I'll still with legitimate-and less dogmatic-sources for my gaming intelligence.

Fair enough. We will see I guess.

Fragamemnon said:

they appear to have been called out on that by pcworld reporter

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/005313.html

Ever huddled in a boxy dim-lit trailer with whirring computers, no air conditioning, and a bunch of guys with horrid coffee breath? Welcome to the VIP hub at a games convention, where the funky odors occasionally dovetail with the subject matter you're sneak-peeking. In this case, the desiccated apocalypto-scapes in Bethesda's post-nuclear RPG Fallout 3. I'd love to tell you all about the game, but frankly my hand-scribbled notes read like chicken scratch compared to the encyclopedic coverage provided by Fallout fansite No Mutants Allowed.

I can't remember the last time I saw a feature as meticulous, as literal, as utterly photographic. I'm counting somewhere in the vicinity of 10,000 words of fastidious blow-by-blow obsessing over the 45 minutes Xbox 360 demo Bethesda's Pete Hines was running in the GCDC press center, a demo Hines explicitly instructed attendees not to record...no ifs, ands, or buts.

So, to be perfectly honest, I'm a little disappointed to see that these guys thought it'd be just dandy to apply "for the demo showing in name of another media company," [update: ostensibly] tape the whole shebang, then transcribe it. Me envious? You better believe it. I had a recording device too, and I would've killed to use it. But I didn't, because playing games is something you do in front of your computer or TV, not at the expense of a respected industry publisher.

In any event, the issue's not what NMA did so much as how they gained access to do it. It's not like Bethesda's running a sweatshop or a money laundering op or an underage sex ring, where going all 60 Minutes or Mother Jones on the company to expose moral turpitude might be justified. No, and not to sound all preachy, but this is how a couple kids without scruples screw it up for the rest of us by turning already paranoid-enough companies into impregnable PR fortresses.

Thanks a lot, guys.

they respond in the comments section of his blog

and on the fallout 3 bethesda forum

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=749975&view=findpost&p=10867555

Hi, I'm SuAside, the co-author of the NMA preview. Let me just start off with saying that this blog entry is pretty much what we call sewer journalism. An unresearched steaming turd... Much of this could've been prevented if you had taken a few minutes to read our own replies to questions on both the NMA forums and the official Bethsoft game forum.

Brother None applied for the demo through AtomicGamer/Gamernode, but those already had a preview, so little use in writing another one. I personally applied through Madshrimps, for which I'm currently writing a more mainstream and simplified preview. Both of us are big Fallout fans and both are long time members of No Mutants Allowed. As we were there anyway, seeing it with our own eyes, why wouldn't we inform the other fans as best we could? So we did.

We went in with the clear objective to show that we aren't the 'rabid fanboys' people seem to believe we are. We wrote a fairly objective walkthrough and then supplemented our own thoughts and opinions. At the Q&A, we asked a few tougher questions, but all equally polite.

You accuse us of screengrabs, video and whatnot? Please... That would be the opposite of what we were trying to prove. Besides, screengrabs and whatnot would leave us totally open to prosecution by Bethesda, and since they already love us so much we sure as hell aren't about to give them that opportunity.

At the end of the presentation, I had 3 full pages of hand-scribbled notes, which in the hour after that quickly grew to 5 pages after adding as much of the information as I could remember. To this add another page of notes from my Q&A. Brother None did the same, taking his own notes and adding extra comments. Later, for the already published things (such as the intro text), we consulted other previews which had already shared that particular information, since we weren't able to scribble that down fast enough either.

I'm also curious to hear how publishing a well-documented walkthrough and two personal opinions is doing something "at the expense of a respected industry publisher". You mean Bethesda suffered from us telling what we saw as we saw it? Not quite. Where some have been confirmed in their fears, a great many people also have said that this preview has actually made them a lot more interested in the game than they were before.

You'll also be glad to hear that we are not "a couple kids" either. So the question becomes: What remains of this blog entry after checking the facts, other than your deeprooted envy?
I'll leave you to be the judge...

Greetz,
SuAside
Madshrimps.com

nubbe

Well, the thieves quest were far better than the brotherhood.
Sneaking into the castle made the game.

Top Bottom