• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Halo 3 framerate problems. Please read.

Ok I thought I would put this in a thread of its own.

I’ll keep it to MP for now because it will be easier for any of you to test. Every map I’ve played on (about 5 or 6) has suffered from a stuttering framerate. I'm not talking about occassional slowdown that you might encounter when things get hectic. That I can live with. Generally it stays reasonable smooth when you’re going straight forward or straight back but when you turn it stutters pretty badly. It’s not lag as I’ve tested it offline with just me in the map and it’s exactly the same.

As a test load up Snowbound and then just push left (or right) and turn a full 360 degrees. Don’t turn full speed just somewhere in the middle and see if it’s silky smooth or just smooth (whatever) for you. For me when pretty much anything is in view like the cliff faces they stutter past. It’s the same for every map and it’s ruining my enjoyment of the game. In the Eurogamer review they said 'The framerate, both online and offline, is so smooth and steady you could rest your pint on it'. Not for me.

I’ve hoped it’s my 360 but I’m pretty sure it isn’t. I loaded up Kameo and rotated the camera etc and it was perfectly smooth. I loaded up Halo 2 and did the exact same kind of test and the framerate was perfectly smooth.

Any ideas? I’m genuinely upset about this. I don’t see how it could be the disk and unfortunately I don’t know anyone with a 360 to test it.

I've cleared the cache and it made no difference.

*My same topic yesterday was locked. I'm trying again. Foolishly perhaps. :(

KINGMOKU

Oh fuck. Great. I hated Halo2 becuase of this. Now I have purchased a 360, and the works for this.

Man, this better be an isolated case, or i'm kicking my 360 in its red-ringed hole.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i wouldn't take a reviewer's testimony on framerate very seriously. i don't know if it was the same writer, but eurogamer also insists that sega rally revo runs at 60fps.

edit: either eurogamer have edited their sega rally review, or i was thinking of some other site

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Bearillusion said:

I’ll keep it to MP for now because it will be easier for any of you to test. Every map I’ve played on (about 5 or 6) has suffered from a stuttering framerate. I'm not talking about occassional slowdown that you might encounter when things get hectic. That I can live with. Generally it stays reasonable smooth when you’re going straight forward or straight back but when you turn it stutters pretty badly. It’s not lag as I’ve tested it offline with just me in the map and it’s exactly the same.

As a test load up Snowblind and then just push left (or right) and turn a full 360 degrees. Don’t turn full speed just somewhere in the middle and see if it’s silky smooth or just smooth (whatever) for you. For me when pretty much anything is in view like the cliff faces they stutter past. It’s the same for every map and it’s ruining my enjoyment of the game. In the Eurogamer review they said 'The framerate, both online and offline, is so smooth and steady you could rest your pint on it'. Not for me.

I’ve hoped it’s my 360 but I’m pretty sure it isn’t. I loaded up Kameo and rotated the camera etc and it was perfectly smooth. I loaded up Halo 2 and did the exact same kind of test and the framerate was perfectly smooth.

Any ideas? I’m genuinely upset about this. I don’t see how it could be the disk and unfortunately I don’t know anyone with a 360 to test it.

Do you have "Media Connect" running? The thing that streams movies/music from an XP computer on your network?

When I ran that, I'd get really annoying micropauses in games.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I posted about this in the huge halo 3 thread but it got ignored. When I used the Elite model in Split screen MP or even SP MP I noticed slowdowns like you are pointing out. I then switched back to a Spartan model and most of the slowdown went away.

I don't know what is up with the Elite model, but it looks like i'll be sticking with Spartan again. :\

_leech_ said:
I think the Gametrailers review mention framerate issues, but it was described as being minor and rare.

I don't mind minor and rare but this is all the time. Campaign is a little better but not by much. One of MP maps seemed to be struggling to hit 20fps at any stage. I really want it to be my 360 but have no other reason to believe it is. Halo 2 looks likes it 60fps compared to this. Especially the MP.

beerbelly

Banned
There are slight stuttering here and there on a few levels. One of the last MAJOR cutscenes was like a slideshow WTF BUNGIE I thought you guys had more than enough time to polish this game.

FightyF

Banned
drohne said:
edit: either eurogamer have edited their sega rally review, or i was thinking of some other site

Eurogamer did edit their site. They did originally say it was running at 60 fps, but then it was edited out.

Bearillusion, the only thing I can suggest is trying your copy of Halo 3 on another 360, and also trying another copy of Halo 3 on your 360.

FightyF said:
Eurogamer did edit their site. They did originally say it was running at 60 fps, but then it was edited out.

Bearillusion, the only thing I can suggest is trying your copy of Halo 3 on another 360, and also trying another copy of Halo 3 on your 360.

The trouble is I don't know anyone with a 360 to test it. I can always rent a copy of Halo 3 though and I might try that.

sega4ever

FlyinJ said:
Do you have "Media Connect" running? The thing that streams movies/music from an XP computer on your network?

When I ran that, I'd get really annoying micropauses in games.

WTF! iv had that open all the time. can you name some of the game with these pauses because i want to see them then kick myself for having it open.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
must just be isolated cases, because I'm not having any of those problems at all. I've actually been running around solo (since they didn't have the matchmaking up) exploring some levels, and I've not had any hiccup.

FightyF

Banned
sega4ever said:
WTF! iv had that open all the time. can you name some of the game with these pauses because i want to see them then kick myself for having it open.

Ridge Racer 6 had an issue with it, but I think it was fixed in a patch.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
sounds like part of the mass exodus of faulty 360s buggin out because of the most anticipated game for the console. its like a cold spreading around via Xbox Live

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
sega4ever said:

RR6, Need For Speed (the one at launch), a few others. It was really annoying until I finally figured out what was causing it.

camineet

Banned
I hope it's just your Xbox 360. sorry if it is, but then, that would be better than if it was the final version of Halo 3 itself. naturally.

vireland

Bearillusion said:
720p. Could it still be my 360 even though other games run fine?

Sounds like the 360, but more details might help. What kind of cable? What brand/model of TV? Is the 360 on its side or flat? It it in an enclosed area or out in the open? Lots of variables here.

If Halo is making heavy use of streaming, it might be your drive chugging to keep up with the load. One of the 360s we had that eventually red ringed was doing something like you're describing on Need for Speed Most Wanted (and only that title, initally) about a week before it finally gave up the ghost and flashed the RROD.

pj

Banned
Snowbound ran fine in the beta, there's 0 reason it should be worse now. There should be no streaming from the dvd at all in MP. I doubt there's even much hdd caching

Either bungie is retarded or your 360 is, I'm betting on 360

vireland said:
Sounds like the 360, but more details might help. What kind of cable? What brand/model of TV? Is the 360 on its side or flat? It it in an enclosed area or out in the open? Lots of variables here.

If Halo is making heavy use of streaming, it might be your drive chugging to keep up with the load. One of the 360s we had that eventually red ringed was doing something like you're describing on Need for Speed Most Wanted (and only that title, initally) about a week before it finally gave up the ghost and flashed the RROD.

I don't know the model but it's a Samsung 42inch 720p. I'm using component. The 360 is horizontal and well ventalated. Other games are currently showing no problems. I really hope it's my 360. I really do.

The level that seems to be set in a hanger or warehouse (you can see dropsships outside the window) chugs really bad. 20fps at the most.

Vrolokus

Banned
I don't have it yet, but I'm really thinking it's your 360, because if the framerate is what you're saying - sub-20 at times - it would've been mentioned in the reviews.

ferrex

MaX_PL said:
do you even have halo 3? why do you keep calling snowbound, snowblind?
Because the name differs by two characters?

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. It's probably not a data caching issue (re: hard drive or DVD drive), because MP maps load entirely into memory.

But it does sound like something is wrong with your 360. I know of no software issue with the symptoms you describe, and I've logged literally hundreds of hours in the game, on dozens of different machines. Likewise, I haven't been hearing this in any of the impressions or reviews. It's possible that the game is broken, but something like what you describe generally does not go unnoticed.

Get on the phone with Xbox Support, see what they can do for you.

MaX_PL said:
do you even have halo 3? why do you keep calling snowbound, snowblind?

Maybe it's an honest mistake. I mean, I keep calling one particular game Mario and Sonic at the Special Olympics every time I hear about it.

Sectus

I just tried the same thing (running VGA 1024x768 by the way) on Snowbound map. And I can confirm there's some erratic stuttering when turning around.

Although, when I was moving around like normal I didn't notice it that much.

beerbelly said:
There are slight stuttering here and there on a few levels. One of the last MAJOR cutscenes was like a slideshow WTF BUNGIE I thought you guys had more than enough time to polish this game.
lol Sorry, but that was pretty funny. :lol

Still looking forward to the game tomorrow. I doubt the framerate will bother me much.

Anyone in the US had a chance to check out their copy yet? The Pit seems to be the worst MP map at this stage with the framerate hovering around 20fps max.

Is it possible for bungie to fix this via a patch?

I know a guy on another forum having exactly the same problem so it looks like it isn't a hardware problem afterall. :( I think I can learn to live with it in campaign but MP is just much worse offline and on.

Bearillusion said:

As a test load up Snowbound and then just push left (or right) and turn a full 360 degrees. Don’t turn full speed just somewhere in the middle and see if it’s silky smooth or just smooth (whatever) for you. For me when pretty much anything is in view like the cliff faces they stutter past. It’s the same for every map and it’s ruining my enjoyment of the game. In the Eurogamer review they said 'The framerate, both online and offline, is so smooth and steady you could rest your pint on it'. Not for me.

thank you for your honest impressions, im very proud of you, and remember constructive criticism only leads to great innovation.

Top Bottom