• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Halo 3 framerate problems. Please read.

SpokkX

pj325is said:
Snowbound ran fine in the beta, there's 0 reason it should be worse now. There should be no streaming from the dvd at all in MP. I doubt there's even much hdd caching

Either bungie is retarded or your 360 is, I'm betting on 360

um no it didn´t... the Beta hade framerate problems on all maps

This post just proves that many people just do not see framerate problems

Doesn't sound like it was really a beta. I just don't see how they thought they could go from the locked 30fps of Halo 2 to this.

PLEASE PATCH IT BUNGIE. PLEASE PLEASE.

SpokkX

If the framerate isn´t fixed since the beta I find it wierd that so few people complain. Slowdown was mentioned in some reviews though and most people, even on neogaf, can´t see framedrops it seems (if find this extremely strange)

I wont get my copy for 24 hours, guess I will see for myself

Xdrive05

No fr problems here. I've seen it "catch" a few times when I'd happen to turn a corner when something unusual was going on (like a spike grenade goes off at the same time as two marines run right in front of me). But it was like going from 30fps to maybe 26fps and only for a half second tops. Same for multiplayer.

One of the smoothest games I've played on the platform for me.

Syb

When I booted it up I noticed some frame rate hitches. It didn't run as smooth as the other games in the series, it was very noticeable. I just attributed it to the system caching the game because well now it runs perfect and multiplayer levels which initially took ages to load start in a near instant.

SpokkX

well.. the Halo 3 beta framerate stutterd a lot on two different boxes I tried

However some people claim theirs was "perfectly smooth" (one of which was one of the boxes I saw framerate stuttering on..). The only explanation for this is that, again, most people do not notice framerate drops :(

SpokkX said:
No, it is probably that most people can´t tell when the framerate drops.. seriously

Indeed, I'm always pissed of when reviewers write that games run at a steady framerate when I can clearly see the framedrops (like in Motorstorm).

Dyne

I spent the last 5 months looking for framerate drops at my job in development support and when I popped in Halo 3 at home I noticed absolutely nothing wrong with the fluidity. What a smooth game.

Chiggs

Well, as a pc gamer, I definitely know a framerate drop when I see it, and while Halo 3 certainly has some very slight drops...I haven't noticed significant stuttering or hitching.

The Pit MP seems to struggle to run at 20fps let alone 30. I'm on the third level now and the first 5 minutes have been totally rock solid. 30fps with no drops so far. MP levels like snowbound are still messy.

Surely someone from Bungie could comment? It would be appreciated.

pj

Banned
SpokkX said:
um no it didn´t... the Beta hade framerate problems on all maps

This post just proves that many people just do not see framerate problems

I have no problem seeing framerate drops. If there were any in the beta, they were minor enough for me to not remember them

broony

Bearillusion said:
The Pit MP seems to struggle to run at 20fps let alone 30. I'm on the third level now and the first 5 minutes have been totally rock solid. 30fps with no drops so far. MP levels like snowbound are still messy.

Surely someone from Bungie could comment? It would be appreciated.
Check the prvious page, ferrex is a bungie employee.

I have not seen any framerate issues, and neither have most of the other people in this thread. I know what I'm looking for.

Bungie will not relase a patch to fix something on YOUR console that is NOT affecting other peoples consoles.

Do you have a friend with a 360? Take your copy of the game to their place and test it there, also test it with their copy of the game.

From what you have described and what others have commented on, it seems to be a problem at your end, not with the game.

broony said:
Check the prvious page, ferrex is a bungie employee.

I have not seen any framerate issues, and neither have most of the other people in this thread. I know what I'm looking for.

Bungie will not relase a patch to fix something on YOUR console that is NOT affecting other peoples consoles.

Do you have a friend with a 360? Take your copy of the game to their place and test it there, also test it with their copy of the game.

From what you have described and what others have commented on, it seems to be a problem at your end, not with the game.

Thanks I check their post in a sec. I really hope it's my 360 but I know of another guy at another forum with same problem. I guess his hardware could be faulty as well.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

ferrex said:
Because the name differs by two characters?

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. It's probably not a data caching issue (re: hard drive or DVD drive), because MP maps load entirely into memory.

But it does sound like something is wrong with your 360. I know of no software issue with the symptoms you describe, and I've logged literally hundreds of hours in the game, on dozens of different machines. Likewise, I haven't been hearing this in any of the impressions or reviews. It's possible that the game is broken, but something like what you describe generally does not go unnoticed.
Get on the phone with Xbox Support, see what they can do for you.

What do you mean by that? Some copies could be faulty? Shouldn't they all be the same? Are you saying that the maps should be running at 30fps especially when I'm the only one on the map?

SpokkX

pj325is said:
I have no problem seeing framerate drops. If there were any in the beta, they were minor enough for me to not remember them

I am sorry but you do have a problem seeing seeing minor framerate drops, just like many others. ...

because the framedrops were there in the beta, make no mistake

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
My framerate is all over the place. Sure, the game starts out fine at 30fps. Then it will skyrocket to 60fps, gets really jerky, then peaks at 120fps. It's really annoying.

Rorschach

SpokkX said:
I am sorry but you do have a problem seeing seeing minor framerate drops, just like many others. ...

because the framedrops were there in the beta, make no mistake
Yeah, they were in the beta. I noticed them too, but hey, it was the beta. :p

BuG

I thought I noticed a slight stutter when I first started playing but now I don't seem to notice it. I forgot about it until a mate asked if I was getting any stutter so at the least both he and I have had some experience with the Halo 3 S-s-s-s-stutter.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can confirm the issues. It's somewhat subtle, but the game basically always has a slight stutter/unstable framerate problem. I've tested this on both my 360 and a buddy's brand new HDMI Premium. Same issue.

It's not that the game runs poorly, it's that it never runs perfectly smooth. After Bioshock, Gears, and Resistance all running at awesome framerates, this is a disappointment.

f@luS

More than a member.
dark10x said:
this is a disappointment.
is really what comes to my mind from tech in Halo 3. Framerate so-so , some clipping issues, and since im playing really close to my tv, damn aa i miss you. Still its insanly fun, but a real technical letdown i dont understand

dark10x said:
I can confirm the issues. It's somewhat subtle, but the game basically always has a slight stutter/unstable framerate problem. I've tested this on both my 360 and a buddy's brand new HDMI Premium. Same issue.

It's not that the game runs poorly, it's that it never runs perfectly smooth. After Bioshock, Gears, and Resistance all running at awesome framerates, this is a disappointment.

This is what I feared. Level 3 as been really smooth for me but the visuals are still disappointing. The MP maps are the worst offenders with some of them in the low 20fps. Bungie have really dropped the ball imo. Halo 2 runs great but this is just a mess especially for a title as big as this. I think I'll just sell it.

FFChris

dark10x said:

I had quite a few drops in Bioshock, mostly when explosions went off.

Bearillusion said:
This is what I feared. Level 3 as been really smooth for me but the visuals are still disappointing. The MP maps are the worst offenders with some of them in the low 20fps. Bungie have really dropped the ball imo. Halo 2 runs great but this is just a mess especially for a title as big as this. I think I'll just sell it.

You'll sell the game? Why?

No one else is having problems like you, dropping to 20pfs is crazy, sure people are having hiccups but nothing like what you are having. It isn't the game, it's your console.

If I sold every game I own with framerate hitches, I'd have to sell half my library.

Evlar

Banned
I've noticed it too. It's subtle and something I stop noticing once the in-game mayhem picks up but it is there. One thing I've thought is that it perhaps has something to do with the Theater: the game has to constantly stream a capture of player input and NPC states to memory. This capture has to be updated very frequently to make Theater work, and not only that it's critical for maintaining the deterministic gameworld that facilitates online co-op and multi.

Dave Long

Banned
FFChris said:
No one else is having problems like you, dropping to 20pfs is crazy, sure people are having hiccups but nothing like what you are having. It isn't the game, it's your console.
So what do you want him to do about it? If it's the console, that's actually WORSE than if it were just the game.

Are we really at the point where we excuse poor framerates on certain CONSOLE systems? This isn't a PC, where you can improve the framerate with a new videocard/processor upgrade. The game should work the same on every damn box.

FFChris

Dave Long said:
So what do you want him to do about it? If it's the console, that's actually WORSE than if it were just the game.

Are we really at the point where we excuse poor framerates on certain CONSOLE systems? This isn't a PC, where you can improve the framerate with a new videocard/processor upgrade. The game should work the same on every damn box.

I'm just saying he should get a new box, because it's likely he'll have a problems with other games too. We all know about the 360 build quality issues.

I'm not defending the fact that Halo 3 probably has framerate hitches. But if the game cannot get above 20fps on MP maps something is clearly very wrong.

Edit: But yes, I understand your point about no variations in consoles, but then why would it run so slowly?

Dave Long said:

I think there's a vast ocean of middle ground between Excusing Poor Framerates and Tossing The Game In The Litterbox.

Iceman

Only played the first level so far but it's been buttery smooth. No hitches at all. Even viewing my match through theater mode, whipping the camera around I was actually surprised at how smooth it all was.

cgcg

After Bioshock, Gears, and Resistance all running at awesome framerates,

dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps

Time for a tag change? :lol

dark10x

I had quite a few drops in Bioshock, mostly when explosions went off.
See, that's perfectly fine. A drop here and there when something big happens isn't a big problem. When you are just standing around in an empty room and the camera panning is jerky, however, then you have an issue. The camera movement is somewhat unstable most of the time. Only in a few areas does it actually maintain 30 fps solid.

Halo 1 and 2 both felt much smoother (they each had some SERIOUS moments of slowdown but felt perfectly fine throughout most of the game).

Time for a tag change?
For next gen games, 60 fps just isn't happening much. I've learned to accept that. A solid 30 fps (especially with motion blur) is just fine. Resistance never EVER slowed down, Gears rarely did so, and Bioshock only dropped in the most heavy of firefights. Halo 3 kinda feels like the original Killzone on PS2 (it nevers runs anywhere near THAT slowly, but it always feels kinda unstable which reminds me very much of KZ).

kay

Yeah, it being his console is strange, maybe try with the hard drive out? Don't rag on the guy for wanting a smooth game for multiplayer, it's important if you are competitive.

FFChris

dark10x said:
See, that's perfectly fine. A drop here and there when something big happens isn't a big problem. When you are just standing around in an empty room and the camera panning is jerky, however, then you have an issue. The camera movement is somewhat unstable most of the time. Only in a few areas does it actually maintain 30 fps solid.

Halo 1 and 2 both felt much smoother (they each had some SERIOUS moments of slowdown but felt perfectly fine throughout most of the game).

Ah right. Well, I'll see for myself tomorrow, but continual slowdown doesn't sound good.

dark10x said:
Halo 3 kinda feels like the original Killzone on PS2 (it nevers runs anywhere near THAT slowly, but it always feels kinda unstable which reminds me very much of KZ).

Ugh, now you really have me worried. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love how a guy says he's having serious problems, and is looking for input, and the entire forum either gives him joke responses, or calls him a liar.

Oh wait, I don't love that at all.

That's really sad to hear, Bear. Have you tried in single player? Does the issue persist?

cgcg

I was just messing with you. I thought it was funny considering your history with framerate issues. : P

Nick

Even in the small amount of time I had with the game last night, I did notice a small bit of stuttering in Multiplayer. Also, the game is only okay looking. There, I said it.

dark10x

FFChris said:
Ah right. Well, I'll see for myself tomorrow, but continual slowdown doesn't sound good.

Ugh, now you really have me worried. :lol
Don't worry, it's nowhere near as low as Killzone. Not even in the same ballpark. It just has that unoptimized feel...

mood

dark10x said:
Don't worry, it's nowhere near as low as Killzone. Not even in the same ballpark. It just has that unoptimized feel...

I dont know if this will help, but I changed my sensitivity to medium before I started playing and I dont really notice any slowdown.

I just played a game of Team Snipers online in Halo 2 (Terminal) and it was soooo smooth it's embarrasing to Halo 3. As Dark said he's tested it on two machines with the same results. Also like him I don't mind a bit of slowdown when some crazy stuff happens but I get it on a MP map by myself. Every other game on my 360 runs perfectly.

Sad to say this but I'm selling it. If they patch it or by some chance it does turn out to be my hardware (doubt it) I'll buy it again at a future date.

Top Bottom