• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Halo 3 framerate problems. Please read.

Fusebox

Banned
Bearillusion said:
I'm getting a sluggish/choppy framerate 95% of the time in MP even when I'm on the map by myself. The first two levels in campaign have been very similar

Campaign frame-rate in the first levels is absolutely butter on my screen, try it on someone elses Xbox and TV.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
as a 90s arcade gamer i love a good 60fps, but man, i'm glad i'm not as sensitive to framerate as some people on this board. aside from a couple moments where the game has choked on a big explosion, halo 3's framerate has seemed fine to me.

Fusebox said:
Campaign frame-rate in the first levels is absolutely butter on my screen, try it on someone elses Xbox and TV.

I imagine you would DJ as you seem like a knowledgeable guy but do you usually notice framerate issues or are you one of those guys that just doesn't really notice? Lestat is getting the exact same problems as me.

It's not lag when it happens offline.

Fusebox

Banned
Yep, I always curse a frame-rate drop but it just isn't happening, even when my theatre replays are showing me that there was a LOT of intense action going on I wasn't getting any kind of hitching/stuttering/skipping at all, it's all gravy baby. If I do see anything I'll let you know though.

If you're not seeing anything in the first two levels that's great. What about MP? Try loading up a map with just you on it like Snowbound and pan the camera around. See if the cliff faces for example stutter as they move by. The Pit for me runs at about 20fps. If everything is perfect for you that's good news as hopefully there is something wrong with my machine. I don't know anyone with a 360 to test it unfortunatly.

This morning when I woke up I decided to Ebay H3 such was my disappointment. I now have hope again that it's hardware related on my end and perhaps others. Fingers crossed my machine red rings and the replacement runs Halo 3 like yours.

Fusebox

Banned
I was about to tell you to check my profile because I was playing MP this morning but the Live page is down lol.

I forget the name but I was playing the stage in the snow with the little underground bunkers with the force-field doors (if that makes sense) and it was smooth as. I was actually paying attention to the framerate too because I had read your complaints yesterday, but it was all good. Honestly, if you don't try your disc on another 360 somehow then you'll never make any progress with this issue, maybe your local EB will even let you try it on their demo 360 or something?

That level is called Snowbound. Not too bad (still a bit of stutter not 30fps for sure) when I just walk forward or back but very very noticable when turning. Remember this is with just me on the map and offline as well.

No EB where I live and none of the places here who sell 360's have demo machines either.

Fusebox

Banned
Well admittedly I was only in a 4-player match this morning but even with all the crazy effects and stuff it didn't hitch.

Can you buy a 360 from K-Mart and test it and then return the 360 saying it was a birthday present but they already had one or something? :D

Fusebox

Banned
Bummer, you know if you were in Sydney you'd be most welcome to come around and try it on my 360 but no such luck. Worst case scenario, send it to me if you get too frustrated and/or stuck, I'll check it on my system and then my work can pay to courier it back to you.

Surfheart

That's a bummer about your problem Bear, because I know hard-to-pin-down stuff like this is frustrating.

For what it's worth, I own heavenly sword and I can feel and see every dropped frame and screen tear in that game, however co-op Halo on heroic last night with 3 mates was a pretty rock solid experience framerate wise. The occasional hitch loading a new area was about all I really noticed. The jaggies on the other hand are a matter for another thread ;)

dark10x said:
Not a 360 problem.

petor.jpg

Went home at not long ago and removed the HD and played the first level up to the dam. Took out most of the enimies while on the cliff ledge then dropped down and took out a few more guys but didn't finish the level. With the HD removed the framerate was perfect. No stutter at all. I then loaded up two MP maps (Snowbound and High Ground)while offline with just me on them and they still stuttered. Weird. Despite that I'm actually really happy that it appears to be hardware related.

I'm not sure what to do now. The HD is obviously causing issues with single player as it's totally smooth with it removed but MP still has problems.

Tieno

Bearillusion said:
Went home at not long ago and removed the HD and played the first level up to the dam. Took out most of the enimies while on the cliff ledge then dropped down and took out a few more guys but didn't finish the level. With the HD removed the framerate was perfect. No stutter at all. I then loaded up two MP maps (Snowbound and High Ground)while offline with just me on them and they still stuttered. Weird. Despite that I'm actually really happy that it appears to be hardware related.

I'm not sure what to do now. The HD is obviously causing issues with single player as it's totally smooth with it removed but MP still has problems.
That's weird, cause MP maps are loaded entirely into memory and SP levels rely heavily on streaming.

Bearillusion said:

That's really weird. It seems like if you had a bad hard drive, it would mess with all of your 360 games. Do you have a friend you can borrow Halo 3 from to see if you have a bad copy? Or bring your copy to play on a different 360. Then you'll know for sure if it's software or hardware. Your disc isn't scratched either? It's not quite the same thing, but when my Halo 2 copy was scratched, it really messed with the game. On Matchmaking, it made the maps load much slower, and it made a lot people angry. :lol

Fusebox

Banned
Maybe go into that game data dir on the 360 and delete anything to do with Halo 3.

a. Sign in by using your gamertag.
b. Move to the System section.
c. Select Memory, and then press the A button.
d. Select Hard Drive, and then press the A button.
e. Select Games, and then press the A button.
f. Select the profile that you want to view, and then press the A button.

From there maybe just nuke anything Halo 3 related? Or am I making an irresponsible suggestion here?

Tieno

Fusebox said:
Maybe go into that game data dir on the 360 and delete anything to do with Halo 3.

a. Sign in by using your gamertag.
b. Move to the System section.
c. Select Memory, and then press the A button.
d. Select Hard Drive, and then press the A button.
e. Select Games, and then press the A button.
f. Select the profile that you want to view, and then press the A button.

From there maybe just nuke anything Halo 3 related? Or am I making an irresponsible suggestion here?
Even save game data?

Fusebox

Banned
Not sure, I don't know whats stuffed and what isn't, I just know I d/led a map pack once for vegas which went corrupt so I deleted it from there and it fixed my problem so if he's got some dodgey data it might be stored somewhere there. Maybe try without deleting the saves, and then if it still skips try deleting the saves.

I'll try that. I'm just so relieved though as now that the framerate is smooth it makes a huge difference. Hopefully your suggestion fixes the issues I'm still getting with MP although how would that make a difference when the HD is removed the MP is still jerky?

I'm also going to replay the second level tonight with HD removed and see how that goes. I imagine it will be smooth as well as the first level has more open areas and it was silky with the HD removed.

I fould the MP's framerate is a little bit lower than SP, but it's solided, I didn't found it would stuttering whatever I turn.....

Lince

Banned
Bearillusion said:
What about MP? Try loading up a map with just you on it like Snowbound and pan the camera around. See if the cliff faces for example stutter as they move by

yes, there's minimal stutter but I agree it's not 100% smooth when you pan the camera slowly around (and since MP maps are fully loaded into RAM you can't blame streaming / DVD Drive). This is with a new X360 Elite and every other game working fine, it's just the game engine so don't freak out, maybe we'll be seeing Bungie updates to improve performance down the road.

1-D_FTW

tha_con said:
Because obviously me making a joking stab at PC gaming deserves insults :lol Way to back your point.

Fact: All games are not created Equal.

Fact: Letting a small frame rate issue get in the way of your enjoyment in a game is ridiculous.

Fact: Coming in here to brag about PC gaming and your 'quality gaming experience' is probably pretty unwarranted, considering it's completely off topic and posted only out of spite in reference to console gaming.

How about we keep this civil instead of crying about frame rates, or bragging that our PC rigs are much better? Honestly, 120fps is overkill, 30fps is fine for console gaming, and we can all get along, so long as none of us pull out our e-dicks and try to prove who's the bigger and better gamer simply because "zomg my frames per second own your base".

No. It had to do with your original post. Consoles aren't in their infancy. And PC games didn't just suddenly get high framerates with the specs you posted. They've been doing it forever. And on systems much less powerful than today's consoles. The reason console games don't have high framerates has nothing to do with your argument.

Just an update. Yesterday as I said a few posts ago I removed the HD and replayed the first level and it was silky smooth. Last night I reattached the HD and replayed the first level and it was still silky smooth. Sadly the MP maps (with just me and offline) still chug particularly when you're turning. Comparing the first level of campaign with it's silky framerate to the framerate I'm getting in MP is a night and day difference. Remember campaign has multiple enemies and allies on screen while the MP maps have just me on it walking around.

I'm pretty sure that my 360 has something wrong with it and will eventually break down.

At least campaign is running well now.

brobban

I'm also having framerate issues. I've noticed that they mostly occur when i'm indoors. Outdoors, in vast landscapes and a huge number of enemies, the framerate is mostly smooth. But as soon as i'm indoors, frames are droping every other second.

Some engines handle outdoor terrain different from indoor assets, could have something to do with it, but its just a guess.

Awntawn

Framerate in co-op seems heavily tied to the internet latency. The worse the connection, the choppier it gets. East to West coast connection can be as smooth as butter at night, but also damn near unplayable at times during the day. Multiplayer netcode seems to be handled differently, so this isn't an issue at all there.

brobban

Awntawn said:
Framerate in co-op seems heavily tied to the internet latency. The worse the connection, the choppier it gets. East to West coast connection can be as smooth as butter at night, but also damn near unplayable at times during the day. Multiplayer netcode seems to be handled differently, so this isn't an issue at all there.

The issues i've mentioned, occurs both in SP and MP. And as I said, almost always in indoor environments.

SpokkX

Bearillusion said:
Just an update. Yesterday as I said a few posts ago I removed the HD and replayed the first level and it was silky smooth. Last night I reattached the HD and replayed the first level and it was still silky smooth. Sadly the MP maps (with just me and offline) still chug particularly when you're turning. Comparing the first level of campaign with it's silky framerate to the framerate I'm getting in MP is a night and day difference. Remember campaign has multiple enemies and allies on screen while the MP maps have just me on it walking around.

I'm pretty sure that my 360 has something wrong with it and will eventually break down.

At least campaign is running well now.

After playing the game I can now comment on what I think of the framerate.

I had issues with the beta stuttering quite a bit and dropping frames all over the place.

The final version is much smoother, there are still framedrops but they are few and far between. It stutters a bit when turning (mostly in multiplayer), but nothing like the beta. Halo 2 is overall a smoother experience but the framedrops are so minimal it isn´t really disturbing. I have played both campaign and quite a bit multiplayer.

For example do you see a difference at all between the first level of campaign and Snowbound? Bungie should issue a patch if it turns out to not be hardware related. I heard today that a person has seen a big improvement on their new 360 compared to their old one with the framerate in MP.

Could this be the reason some people are having a smooth framerate while others aren't? I hope Bungie are looking into this further. It makes sense that reviewers reckon the framerate is great when they all played the game at bungie/MS held 'event'. Not claiming anything underhanded there just that that's probalby why real world experiences have differed for some people.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=84358

Microsoft and Bungie are under fire from Xbox 360 owners experiencing disc-read errors from their new copies of Halo 3.

For some, that compounds existing problems with scratched discs in the Legendary Edition.

In both cases, Microsoft has already said that it will replace busted copies of the game, including Limited Edition versions, for free until the end of the year.

Advertisement
But that hasn't done much to quieten the discord on forums. A typical thread on Bungie's website now stretches to 30 pages, including anecdotal accounts of Microsoft support staff "confirming" that a bad batch of Halo discs exists and culminating in a 230-strong list of people claiming to be experiencing the disc-read problem.

Indeed, Eurogamer TV's own Johnny Minkley has had the same problem, although it's equally possible that he just put it in upside down or clogged it up with chest hair.

In other Halo-related developments, it's being reported that a bug which prevents players transferring Campaign mode progress between Xbox 360s is being tackled by Bungie at the moment.

The issue apparently occurs when you try to resume a Campaign having either moved the hard disk to another Xbox or used a memory unit to transfer it, resulting in an "unsafe to respawn" error that dumps you back to the main menu. Fortunately, you can still load any mission or insertion point to reclaim most of your progress, and a fix is expected soon.

And finally, tech boffins at Beyond3D reckon Halo 3 has joined a relatively poorly populated club of Xbox 360 games that run natively at 640p, rather than 720p, and then upscale.

It's well known that Bizarre Creations had to run PGR3 at 600p to achieve their desired frame-rate, so it wouldn't be completely surprising to discover that Bungie had been forced to do likewise to achieve their ambition.

Not that most will notice, of course. In fact, they would have got away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids.

brobban

Code:
Could this be the reason some people are having a smooth framerate while others aren't?

It shouldn't matter. Atleast not in MP, scince all maps are loaded entirely into the memory.

You're right it shouldn't but there is also no reason why campaign is smooth and multi stutters with one person on the level for me. People who's opinion I trust say multi is smooth for them. I'm just searching for answers.

brobban

Both MP and SP stutters for me, and I'm actually hoping there is something wrong with my hardware rather than the game.

Lince

Banned
Bearillusion said:
People who's opinion I trust say multi is smooth for them. I'm just searching for answers.

yesterday I played Halo 3 multiplayer in 3 different X360 units and 2 different game discs my old premium and my new Elite and later at a friend's with his relatively new premium, same framerate problems even with just one player in a map and always in the same spots.

I'm actually hoping there is something wrong with my hardware

think about it, removing the HDD didn't improve multiplayer performance, if it was the DVD-Drive then multiplayer shouldn't be an issue, what else? if it were CPU/GPU or memory then you should notice problems in every game...

SpokkX

Bearillusion said:
You're right it shouldn't but there is also no reason why campaign is smooth and multi stutters with one person on the level for me. People who's opinion I trust say multi is smooth for them. I'm just searching for answers.

There is a tiny bit of stuttering when turning for me. However, unlike the beta, the framerate doesn´t drop. In the beta the framerate dropped when there were explosions, in certain spots etc. It doesn´t in the final version for me

The stuttering "looks" like a sync issue, kind of like playing games in 50hz that are made for 60hz, only not nearly as bad. It is nearly a non-issue for me actually and I had real problems with the betas performance

SpokkX said:
The stuttering "looks" like a sync issue, kind of like playing games in 50hz that are made for 60hz, only not nearly as bad. It is nearly a non-issue for me actually and I had real problems with the betas performance

I've noticed this as well as I've posted elsewhere and it's ruined MP for me to be honest. I find it strains my eyes just a little. Good thing campaign isn't as bad.

A patch would be great but clearly bungie had the dev time to fix it before release so if they didn't do it then they won't now.

Bearillusion said:

Installed Halo 3 on my HD last night and I swear it's running better now. MP that is. I don't have a problem with the campaign. Doesn't make sense why it would be better but I'm not complaining.

Top Bottom