• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE Officially Announces 40GB PS3 for 399, lowers 60GB Starter Pack price to 499

Wollan

ps3_05_10_07.jpg

p1.jpg

p3.jpg

EMBARGOED until 05/10/2007 16:30
New PLAYSTATION®3 Model to Take Holiday Season by Storm

Aggressively priced hardware and a terrific software line-up make for an unbeatable combination
New 40GB PS3 at €399

London, 5 October 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced details of its exciting new PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) model that will launch throughout the SCEE territories on 10th October 2007 at the highly attractive price of €399.

Providing an incredibly appealing entry point to the world of High Definition gaming and entertainment for the holiday season, the new PS3 brings the next generation of interactive home entertainment to homes all across Europe, Middle East, Africa and Australasia.

Along with an ever expanding line-up of PS3 titles (a total of 65 titles tracking across all genres by Christmas), the new PS3 is equipped with a 40GB HDD and includes all the features central to the High Definition entertainment experience; true next generation gameplay, stunning High Definition Blu-ray Disc™ movies, SIXAXIS™ wireless controller, Wi-Fi and HDMI connectivity, all powered by the Cell Broadband Engine™, the digital heart of PS3.

As with the 60GB PS3, the new PS3 features upgradeable firmware allowing new features and functionality to be added to the system as time progresses. A recent firmware update, for example, enabled PS3 to upscale DVD’s played on the system to full 1080P High Definition.

The introduction of the new PS3 has been determined following user feedback from thousands of existing PS3 owners as well as research into future potential PS3 owners. The new model features two USB 2.0 ports rather than four and no longer includes the multi memory card port.

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

The existing Starter Pack*, comprising a 60GB PS3 with extensive backwards compatibility, an additional SIXAXIS wireless controller and two first party titles will be reduced in price to €499. Remaining on sale while stocks last, the 60GB model represents outstanding value for the keen gamer wishing to upgrade to the High Definition capabilities of PS3.

“The introduction of the new PS3 has been the result of extensive research into the entertainment needs and preferences of the next generation of PS3 owners,” said David Reeves, President of SCEE. “It has allowed us to deliver an extremely advanced, yet incredibly affordable High Definition gaming and entertainment system, configured to the needs of the next generation of European PS3 owners. PS3 has always been the device of choice for the discerning gamer and entertainment seeker, and the new PS3 is more than ever the perfect High Definition entertainment system.

*In the UK and Ireland, the Starter Pack will be replaced by a separate in-store promotion on the 60GB PS3.

- ENDS -

Notes to Editors:

PLAYSTATION®3 40GB Specification
Product name PLAYSTATION®3
CPU Cell Broadband Engine™ Processor
GPU RSX™
Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch , LPCM 7.1ch, AAC,
others *1 *2
Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
HDD 2.5” Serial ATA 40GB
I/O USB 2.0 x2
Communication Ethernet x1 (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX,
1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g Included
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR) Included
Wireless controller (Bluetooth) Included
AV Output
Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI OUT x1 *3
AV MULTI OUT x1
DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x1
BD/DVD/CD Drive
(Read Only) Maximum Read Speed BD 2x (BD-ROM)
DVD 8x (DVD-ROM)
CD 24x (CD-ROM)
Dimensions Approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D)
Weight Approximately 5 kg

See chart on attached PDF version of press release

*1 A device compatible with Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. is required to output 7.1 Ch. audio, supported by Dolby TrueHD or a similar format, from the HDMI OUT connector.
*2 This system does not support output from the DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. DTS-HD 7.1 Ch. audio is output from a 5.1 or lower channel.
*3 "Deep Color" and "x.v.Color (xvYCC)" defined by HDMI ver1.3a are supported.

For further information please contact:

Nick Sharples (nick_sharples@scee.net) or Nick Caplin (nick_caplin@scee.net)
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301(5349) Fax: + 44 207 859 5036
Images of the new PS3 are available on the SCEE Virtual press Office at http://www.scee.presscentre.com

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4434&NewsAreaID=2

EUgetz.jpg

Dascu

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

What.

theBishop

Banned
Can't fault them for getting the price down, but jesus christ... no longer backwards compatible.

That is a mistake. I hope some engineer in Japan is working on 100% software implementation.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Europe will be interesting this Holiday season, that's for sure. Well done Sony..at least make this interesting.

Elios83

£299 and 349£ for UK

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29316

40GB unit to sell for £299 with no PS2 backwards compatibility

Sony has dropped the price of the 60GB PlayStation 3 to GBP 349 and introduced an "entry level" 40GB model to retail at GBP 299.

The repositioned prices will come into effect on October 10, with the new 60GB "value pack" including two first-party games for the GBP 349 asking price, along with a single controller.

It takes the place of the current Sony GBP 425 bundle, which included the console, two first-party games and an extra Sixaxis controller.

At the lower price point is the new 40GB model which only features two USB ports rather than four, and loses the multi-memory card slot and backwards compatibility with the PlayStation 2 back catalogue.

Sony says that it has introduced the two new offerings following "feedback from thousands of existing PS3 owners as well as research into future potential PS3 owners."

"As we approach our first PlayStation Christmas, it is satisfying to be able to offer UK consumers the choice of two PlayStation 3 packages both now representing remarkable value," commented Ray Maguire, MD of SCEUK.

"We have a brand new 40 GB machine that represents an excellent entry point into the world of high definition games and movies, and we have the fully featured 60GB machine being offered with two next-generation gaming experiences at a highly competitive price."

David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe added: "The introduction of the new PS3 has been the result of extensive research into the entertainment needs and preferences of the next-generation PS3 owners."

A full interview with Ray Maguire, where he discusses the new price points in detail, dismisses any comparisons with Microsoft's Xbox 360 pricing, and the problems of early adoption, can be read on GamesIndustry.biz on Monday.

Wollan

This is going to do gangbusters in Europe this Xmas. For €399 or £299 entry price you get the full 100% PS3 game and 100% Blu-ray experience.
I'm guessing an announcement for the US will happen between the 22nd and 26th (with the rumored shipping date being Oct 28th if I'm not wrong?)

tha_con

Banned
E3 2005: BC isn't important.
Today: WTF NO BC DIEZ!

I suppose it's not that bad, software emulation will probably be working in the next year or so.

Like anyone cares more than it being a bullet point anway :p If you don't have a PS3 right now, you have a PS2. I suppose you'll be okay one way or another.

Early adopters FTW!!!

pr0cs

Price is a nonissue to me. THere just isn't enough software for the box if you don't care to own a HD movie player.

tha_con said:
Like anyone cares more than it being a bullet point anway :p If you don't have a PS3 right now, you have a PS2. I suppose you'll be okay one way or another.

Not really, but I'm not going through all that. Again.

Tieno

Wollan said:
This is going to do gangbusters in Europe this Xmas.
I'm guessing an announcement for the US will happen between the 22nd and 26th (with the rumored shipping date being Oct 28th if I'm not wrong?)
The different territories can decide pricing indepently. It's easier to do in Europe though, because of the very strong Euro.
400euro for a PS3 is a pretty good deal with the upcoming good games.

Sounds like a good idea, I guess. Pretty stupid that it took them this long, though. Might be too little too late. I guess we'll see how the soccer games work to help it or not.

pr0cs said:
Price is a nonissue to me. THere just isn't enough software for the box if you don't care to own a HD movie player.

there's plenty of software. maybe not enough that appeals to your particular tastes, but you were talking amount, not quality.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Any details on UK pricing? I also do not like the wording on the press release, €499 for the 60GB start pack should translate to £345, I bet it'll translate to £379 or something with UK retailers though, :(

nofi

Gattsu25 said:
They honestly made it have no BC? Tard pack

If you don't have room for a PS2 under your TV, pay £50 more for the Starter Pack.

Can't see the issue, but then, this is GAF.

Sharp

tha_con said:
E3 2005: BC isn't important.
Today: WTF NO BC DIEZ!

I suppose it's not that bad, software emulation will probably be working in the next year or so.

Early adopters FTW!!!
Selling your PS2 to buy a PS3 was kind of a nice option, though. Are they still going to maintain at least one SKU that is backwards-compatible, or is PS2 emulation just gone from here on out?

Edit: As the 60GB one is limited-time only it isn't really a good indicator of Sony's long-term strategy.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
That's completely retarded...

What the hell Sony? You guys just can't have a great idea without following it up with a horrible idea.

Aren't later itterations supposed to be better than their previous counterparts???

angelfly

Where is SCEA when you need them. It really sucks about BC but I guess I can keep my PS2 connected. I use a HD for all my games so it's a bit of a plus in a way.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think this is a great idea, but I already have a PS3.

Maybe they will add software BC down the road.

pr0cs

AltogetherAndrews said:
Didn't you already say that in a thread where it made sense to say that?
Yeah I said it in another thread but the point still stands, it seems like Sony is now going down the path in thinking that price is the only limiting factor for people jumping on board the PS3 wagon when a few of us just think there aren't enough titles for the box to justify buying.

Larsen B

The drop for the 60GB is far more important and interesting.

Retailers are bound to drop it even further below that, maybe closer to £325, which is the sort of figure I can agree with.

EDIT: Although I'll still wait for the ShockAxis.

Top Bottom