• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Bossman

(OP hijacked by EviLore for official thread purposes)

witcherOT01.jpg

Developer: CD Projekt RED STUDIO

Publisher: Atari (World), CD Projekt (Poland)

Release Dates: US: October 30, 2007; Europe: October 26, 2007

Minimum requirements:

-Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)
-Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800
-1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista
-128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)
-8.5 GB available hard drive space
-DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones
-DVD-Rom

Recommended requirements:

-Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)
-Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz or AMD X2 5600+
-2 GB RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 PRO
-8.5 GB available hard drive space
-DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones
-DVD-Rom

Review excerpts:

Gamespy said:
The Witcher simply works -- its refreshing setting, engaging combat and potion system, and long, well-conceived campaign is a recipe for single-player greatness. It's the kind of game that actually makes you want to track down some of Sapkowski's stories to learn more about this refreshingly bleak world
PC Gamer said:
The Witcher is a fantastic RPG, and an amazing achievement for first-time Polish developer CD Projekt.
Gameshark said:
It’s a nice tall bottle of liquid awesome. So grab a glass from the bar and give it a shot.
1up said:
Graphical foibles aside, The Witcher demonstrates the growing creative energy of European game designers, who continue to take chances with ever more innovative games, even as American developers obsess over the next "Halo."
G4TV said:
It hits the right notes in so many ways that it would be a shame for the game to go unnoticed. So go bulk up you PC, install this game, and get ready for a dark, gritty, and very engrossing ride.

I'm guessing rabies:

Strategy Informer said:
Perhaps not one for the hardcore role player, but an FPS gamer or MMO addict might well find The Witcher to be a great alternative to watching a DVD during the evening.
Gamedaily said:
The game provides a decent alternative to average hack'n-slash role-playing games, but it doesn't take long before it becomes tiresome and boring.
Edge said:
The game fumbles its potential with unanticipated incompetence.

NeoGAF member impressions:

alu said:
This game is really impressive, not only visually speaking. It is probably one of my favourite games of the year alongside HL2: Episode 2, even though I didn't feel like continuing to play at the beginning of Act 1. What I also love is how it teaches you everything in a very natural manner. I remember just plain ignoring most things that you could do in Oblivion (Alchemy and most magic), but this game makes you want to use everything it has to offer

MickeyKnox said:
So, I beat it last night and yeah, awesome game. I hope they announce an expansion soon.

dollartaco said:
Anybody who wants a new WRPG fix for a few dozen hours, stop by and see The Witcher. Seriously, this game game should have it's own official thread on the front page of the forum every day

Tokubetsu said:
I have spent the past day or so knee deep in the witcher. After around 12 or so hours, I'm into the second chapter and loving every bit of it. Usually, I tend to look up interesting character builds and what quests to do etc but I feel like this is such an experience I don't want to ruin anything. Even in trying to collect all the female sex cards. I wanted to read up on how to get all of them intially but not anymore, I just want to wing it. I haven't picked up Mass Effect yet but I think I've found my GOTY. I feel like, this has been the game I've been waiting for ages in the back of my mind. I'm so glad I got it.

EviLore said:
The game is just overwhelmingly packed with content. The main quest lines can be finished pretty quickly, but I did pretty much everything that I could find and the experience ended up being *long*. Halfway through I let myself get distracted by all the big holiday releases, and just came back recently to tackle the second half. The game really could've been half the length and still would've felt complete, so I congratulate the devs for going this far to justify my $50.

I loved the decision angle. I ended up regretting some of the choices I made, which sucks when you made those decisions 20 hours ago, but I'd take that any day over having a "right" choice and a "wrong" choice, or a "good" choice and an "evil" "jackass" choice. The decisions you make *MEAN SOMETHING*, and you often don't know what they mean until later on. The game is also really one big gray area. There are no easy choices, you don't have a bird's eye view of the situation you're in, and you often have to go with a gut feeling based on your particular flavor of morality or worldview. Brilliantly executed.

Screenshots:

witcherOT03.jpg

witcherOT04.jpg

witcherOT05.jpg

witcherOT07.jpg

witcherOT08.jpg

Penny Arcade commentary:

witcherOT06.jpg

Artwork:

witcherOT09.jpg

Solo

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and this in one year? The gods are kind. Hopefully its as awesome (and less janky technically) as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was.

I'm importing the UK version to get the uncut version, from what I hear the US one will be heavily censored.

I think this is going to turn out well for fans of CRPGs, provided that there aren't too many bugs (which is my big concern).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fragamemnon said:
I'm importing the UK version to get the uncut version, from what I hear the US one will be heavily censored.

I think this is going to turn out well for fans of CRPGs, provided that there aren't too many bugs (which is my big concern).

There aren't any issues with importing right? I might play this concurrently with NWN2.

Xristot

Fragamemnon said:

What's a good website to get the UK version from? Does Gogamer carry the UK version?

AstroLad said:
There aren't any issues with importing right? I might play this concurrently with NWN2.

I play UK imports all the time. Never had a problem, the only possible thing that can come up is that you have to use UK patches if they break up the patch by specific locales.

Xristot said:
What's a good website to get the UK version from? Does Gogamer carry the UK version?

I'm pretty sure it is-all of my imports from GoGamer have been UK versions-but I just sent them an email asking about it specifically. I'll update this thread when I get a response.

firex said:
I see a version marked (I) on gogamer, so that's probably the import version.

Yeah that's the one I emailed them about. I'm almost certain it's the uncut UK version.

The US version will probably have a mod to restore the cut stuff, but it probably won't happen immediately after release.

Fragamemnon said:

Bugs are my main concern. I hope Atari didn't rush them.

Dave Long

Banned
Gogamer has both the US and the UK versions. The UK one is $10 more.

Is it really going to be that cut up for the US Frag? I know the PR guy... maybe I should ask him...

Zabojnik

Zer0 said:
the books are awesome

Tell me more, please.

The build they were showing at the GC in Leipzig was very buggy, but otherwise that demo left me with a strangely good impression. Loved the dialogues, great graphics, interesting combat. I hope it turns out well.

Falagard

Game looks pretty good actually. Nothing really groundbreaking so far on the combat/magic/quests side of things, but I'm hankering for a new RPG.

Mass Effect is on the horizon though, but it's a sci-fi rpg which shooter elements and not a fantasy RPG, which I tend to prefer.

Also, the obligatory Penny Arcade comic:

20041024h.jpg

*Edit*

Read some more about the combat. It's not evident in the video (just looks like a bunch of fancy animations), but when you read about it in reviews, the combat seems pretty deep. Nice.

Dave Long said:
Gogamer has both the US and the UK versions. The UK one is $10 more.

Is it really going to be that cut up for the US Frag? I know the PR guy... maybe I should ask him...

My understanding, based off cobbled forum postings over the last few months-unfortunately most of the source material for this is in German or Polish-is that in the US version much of the game's quests, dialogue, and encounters that involve sexuality are getting scrubbed for the US release. For a game that's trying to show a bit of grit, that omission seems really weak.

Not that I'm expecting sexuality to be handled in a very mature format, of course. I'm always interested in seeing different subjects explored in games, though, even if it is a locker-roomy/juvenile take on sexuality like I am somewhat expecting of The Witcher.

The GoGamer version with the (I) after it IS the UK version, got them to confirm it. Go there and order one up if you want the uncut version.

Zabojnik

szaromir said:
I preordered that edition for $30:D

Is that the standard collector's edition or some kind of Polish extra deluxe one? Where in Europe could one preorder the UK collector's edition?

Kabouter

EvolveTom said:
Really hope you guys dig the game... the team's been working hella hard to make sure it's not just "that Eastern European RPG from that Penny Arcade strip" :)
Oh, don't worry, in my eyes it's "That Eastern European RPG that features the milk maid pouring milk over her naked bosom"

firex

Draft said:
Please do post the importers guide cause I ain't buying no gawddamn censored Witcher no sir no how.
Step 1: Buy import copy
Step 2: Install
Step 3: Enjoy?

I mean it's not like PC games are region restricted for the most part. I guess the only problem might be with patching the game, but that's already been covered in here.

Draft

firex said:
Step 1: Buy import copy
Step 2: Install
Step 3: Enjoy?

I mean it's not like PC games are region restricted for the most part. I guess the only problem might be with patching the game, but that's already been covered in here.
I just want to make sure I buy the right one.

szaromir

Banned
Zabojnik said:
Tell me more, please.
What do you want to know about them?
Zabojnik said:
Is that the standard collector's edition or some kind of Polish extra deluxe one? Where in Europe could one preorder the UK collector's edition?
It's the standard edition in Poland.:D Collectors' edition has more goodies. I don't know anything about editions in other countries.
oo Kosma oo said:
I miss Polish food :(
Smazylem kotlety schabowe na obiad.:]

Furio53

Can't wait for this, preordered the (I) version. It's been a while since an RPg has captured my interest as much as this game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Any reviews for this up yet? Pre-ordered the boobs version; I hope it can live up to the implementation in BMXXX.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
EvolveTom said:
Actually, if the PC version does well enough, it's entirely possible. The devs are interested.

Hey, so what's the deal with Witcher US vs. UK? I'm more than happy to pay the extra ten bucks for an uncut version, but would rather not waste it if there aren't any material differences.

Top Bottom