• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Get someone to send you a save, if you aren't enjoying it then pushing forward is just going to make you resent the game.

codhand said:
Man I'm on chapter 2 and still amped on this game? Does it really fall off a cliff that badly??

No. It's one of the best RPGs ever made but it is extremely long. If you're just forcing yourself to play through it before the sequel then it probably won't be much fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Save import isn't a big deal at all. The Raven Armor (which requires a lot of side-questin') is probably the most significant thing to carry over to TW2, but even then it's far from essential. There are very few references to your choices in TW1, and when they are mentioned, it's brief.

Also, you could always download a completed save file that matches your choices. I linked to some in the first post of the Witcher 2 OT.

I do think it's worth completing, though. The ending is pretty bonkers. I'm a Witcher fanboy, though, so I'm incredibly biased.

codhand said:
Man I'm on chapter 2 and still amped on this game? Does it really fall off a cliff that badly??

Absolutely not. Like jarn-jom borngs said, it's just long, there is no quality drop. I think Act 4 might have been my favorite.

Dries

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool game. The story and characters are awesome, but the one thing bothering me is the back tracking and fetch quests.

Gvaz

Banned
Dries said:
Don't get me wrong, it's a cool game. The story and characters are awesome, but the one thing bothering me is the back tracking and fetch quests.
Dude I loved the game but even that bothered me. There's not too many quests at least and you can skip them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dries said:
Now I'm realizing I am literally forcing myself to complete The Witcher 1. The only reason I keep on playing is just so that I won't miss anything story related in The Witcher 2. But I'm not enjoying the game really anymore. Thinking I'll just read the story on wiki or something and watch the cut scenes on YouTube.

Tell me GAF, should I soldier on with the game or not? And what harm will it do if I don't complete TW1? I know I won't have a save file to import.. and that kinda sucks.

you really need to know the story before jumping to The Witcher 2.

I'd say in your case just use The Witcher Save Editor to make super god mode of yourself and just enjoy the story.

Got back into this tonight after not playing for about 8 months. All I do is run around. Almost into act 2 though. I don't mind taking too long though... I'll probably get the witcher 2 on the summer sale so I just have to beat it by then.

Everyone complains about running around in the earlier part of the game, but it actually helped get me into the world it was set in. Let me kind of take my time to feel it out and all.

Helmholtz

Everyone complains about running around in the earlier part of the game, but it actually helped get me into the world it was set in. Let me kind of take my time to feel it out and all.
Yup.
One of the things I liked about the first game is that by the time you're done a chapter, you really feel like you've explored the area completely, as you become so familiar with the layouts and world. The second game is sort of like this too, but doesn't make you run around nearly as much.

demented

Now I'm realizing I am literally forcing myself to complete The Witcher 1. The only reason I keep on playing is just so that I won't miss anything story related in The Witcher 2. But I'm not enjoying the game really anymore. Thinking I'll just read the story on wiki or something and watch the cut scenes on YouTube.

Tell me GAF, should I soldier on with the game or not? And what harm will it do if I don't complete TW1? I know I won't have a save file to import.. and that kinda sucks.
Came to ask this. Well with difference that I haven't played in a year and not that easy to jump back in. I'm sure I'll enjoy it but after so much running and stuff and just the idea that game takes like 50 hours to complete I'm put of. Thing that I'm kind of person that needs to do all quests etc doesn't help. I'm on chapter 2(I think, just got into that town and stopped there). Really want to go on Witcher 2 but I've been keeping myself from playing it since release just because I wanna finish first one, or at least see the story hm.

you really need to know the story before jumping to The Witcher 2.

I'd say in your case just use The Witcher Save Editor to make super god mode of yourself and just enjoy the story.
Thought about this too, did this in DA2 when I got bored as fuck and just wanted to rush through, was still bored with it lol.

Any advice? Yeah I know it might be silly but what can you do :)
Friend playing w2 and hyping me immensely with messages on msn and phone ftl.

Yeah, it was pretty short. I'm in chapter 5 now and I don't see what the point of chapter 4 was story-wise. I didn't do add anything significant to the plot!?

Piecake

Well, dont want to bother finding the Witcher 2 thread, so Ill just say this here. I was not a fan of The Witcher at all. I found the gameplay horrifically boring and tedious, the menus were just a huge plain mess, and the characters and dialogue were just bad. The only thing I did like was that your choices truly did matter and the world was cool.

Finally got the Witcher 2 (15 bucks, yay!) and man, already enjoying it SOOO much more. The combat, while still a little clunky (dont really like that targeting system), is worlds better than 1, the menus dont seem needlessly tedious for the sake of being needlessly tedious, and the presentation, characters, characters, and especially dialogue (so far) is a lot better than 1. Glad I bought it.

The only problem I have is that it is hard as fuck. I'm still on chapter 1, and when I go into the forest outside of the first town I absolutely get wrecked by monsters if they are in a group of 3+ (sometimes two). The humans I can deal with, but man, those monsters hit HARD (believe im level 7). I dont wanna lower it to easy since itll make me feel like a pansy. Any tips?

I'm aware what you're referring to but it's not like the main plot of chapter 4 was essential to introduce hints as to what happens later. CD Project should've skipped that chapter entirely and do that
Alvin stuff
in chapter 3.

Backtracking hours and hours in the fields in chapter 4 was sleep-inducing. Just think about it, it didn't add anything to the plot outside the aforemention hints.

I'm aware what you're referring to but it's not like the main plot of chapter 4 was essential to introduce hints as to what happens later. CD Project should've skipped that chapter entirely and do that
Alvin stuff
in chapter 3.

Backtracking hours and hours in the fields in chapter 4 was sleep-inducing. Just think about it, it didn't add anything to the plot outside the aforemention hints.

Totally disagree...Chapter 4 was a very nice change of pace in both mood and setting (some of the most beautiful scenery and music in the game) before the final act. It also shows how cursed the life of a Witcher is in that his presence and actions end up bringing significant chaos to a peaceful town.

2AdEPT

So I tried buying this on steam for my first steam experience but I might have bombed.....get the key error and support is slow to reply......after searching the error, I must say I am likley out of luck eitherbecause my new laptop is windows 7 not vista, or they just don't have enough keys......either way pissed at steam and not liking it one bit so far.....anyone confirm that these issues are pretty much unrectifiable? Is there are a way to just use XP or vista temporarily or can I never play witcher on a new computer withou reverting the OS?

edit: this was resolved, thanks to a poster on this site named hero of the day..it appears the drivers needed to be upgraded despite it being a brand new machine! THe latest NVIDIA driver upgrade occurred March 13th.

MBison

Gonna play this for the first time with my new rig. Are there any further ini tweaks or anything to further improve the visuals? I have everything maxed and just making sure there are no additional mods or tweaks to make everything even better.

thanks!

Scipius

Gonna play this for the first time with my new rig. Are there any further ini tweaks or anything to further improve the visuals? I have everything maxed and just making sure there are no additional mods or tweaks to make everything even better.

thanks!

You're good to go with the default EE version; there are no graphical mods that would genuinely enhance the experience.

I would highly recommend changing the voiceovers to the original Polish though (with subtitles of your choice); they're a much closer fit to the Witcher's world and the Polish VAs sound significantly better than their English counterparts.

thanks!
Be aware that you're still probably going to have weird framerate problems from time to time. Otherwise, I say just enjoy. : )

abuC

Well, I had to restart my PC, and all my saves got wiped out, I was about 15 hours in. I enjoyed it, but it seemed to drag on a bit and I absolutely hated the whole "investigation". Im debating if I should even bother with this anymore, or if I should just start part 2.

Just finished this. Great game, nice story, awesome RPG aspects. Absolutely terrible combat. The worst I've ever encountered, actually. Jesus Christ.

I've played far worse, and I found myself actually enjoying the combat around the halfway point. I don't know why, but I was.

Glad you liked it, though, Oxigen. : )
Did you have a favorite chapter or story point?

I've played far worse, and I found myself actually enjoying the combat around the halfway point. I don't know why, but I was.

Glad you liked it, though, Oxigen. : )
Did you have a favorite chapter or story point?

Pretty much everything after chapter 2 was amazingly well done. The game has a pretty slow start but it pays off gloriously once it gets going. Apart from the combat (which they supposedly fixed in the sequel, just a top notch experience overall. Kudos!

Edit - Didn't really answer your question, sorry... I think chapter 3 was the highlight for me.

Chapter 3 was definitely great. I need to get around to replaying this some time soon. It's already been a year and a half since I wrapped up my first time playing, but it feels like much longer.

Najaf

I am perhaps 6 hours into this game and just reinstalled after more than a year. Yet, I find myself wanting to simply jump into the Witcher 2 which I have had since last father's day (the wife knows how to give gifts!).

If I went straight to the Witcher 2, would I be missing a lot of valuable content? How well does the gameplay hold up in the first title? I find myself out of the groove now that I am back in and am eager to move on.

Thoughts?

boskee

I am perhaps 6 hours into this game and just reinstalled after more than a year. Yet, I find myself wanting to simply jump into the Witcher 2 which I have had since last father's day (the wife knows how to give gifts!).

If I went straight to the Witcher 2, would I be missing a lot of valuable content? How well does the gameplay hold up in the first title? I find myself out of the groove now that I am back in and am eager to move on.

Thoughts?

1. You don't have to play TW1 to enjoy TW2.
2. TW1 story is really good, but it picks up slowly.
3. It's good to play TW1 to learn the lore and various characters that you meet in TW2 - I wouldn't care about some of the main TW2 characters if I didn't play TW1.
4. There is a "previously on" type of video in The Witcher 2 which gives you a brief summary of TW1 story.

Qazaq

Banned
QUICK!

At Target and this is on sale for $10. Bizarrely I've never played it. I love the Baldur's Gate games and Dragon Age.

Worth purchasing?

Also, are the technical issues still prevalent or is that all fixed?

injurai

Banned
QUICK!

At Target and this is on sale for $10. Bizarrely I've never played it. I love the Baldur's Gate games and Dragon Age.

Worth purchasing?

If it's the enhanced edition yes. If you don't get it now it will be just as cheap if not more so during the winter steam sale. Certainly worth it.

I've never played either of the Witcher games. I realized I have this game on my Steam and for some reason I want to play the first two before the third one comes out. I don't care for any of the side quests but I just want to go through the story. Is the game still fun doing just the core story?

EDIT: Nevermind, can't get the game running on my Mac for some reason, it just isn't launching.

Sorry to hear that. It's definitely worth playing just the main story parts, but you should try to work in a handful of sidequests, if only because there are a few that are really exceptional.

QUICK!

Worth purchasing?

lol it was $2 on steam a few weeks ago.

I still go back to it sometimes and the amazing atmosphere always sucks me in right away. It's such a believable world. Also dat music!

Nikodemos

Bumping this in order to post in the correct place.

As mentioned in other threads, I've started playing it (with a load of mods) as I'm slowly working my way through the backlog.

I'm now near the middle of Act II and need a bit of advice. I'm not sure who to bring to Shani's party. I understand the choices represent the three different paths Geralt's story can take, but I want to know whether you'll get some interaction further down the road depending on who you've brought with you.

EDIT: For that matter, which of the paths is the most rewarding, for lack of a better word? I mean storywise, not rewards-wise. I'm not asking for spoilers, just some hints.

EDIT x2: Is it just me, or is armour seriously expensive? I wanted to replace the one Geralt started it with the Excellent version, but 5000 orens is a very steep price, and money is difficult to come by, even without buying anything but the necessities (mainly books, to learn monster types or various plot-related info).

DarkFlame

Banned
This one has the best main story of the 3 games on the franchise.Really excellent stuff,i was really surprised that an unknown studio had released such a great game on such a low budget.

The combat was kinda weird i admit,but the quests in this game were just wow.

I don't know how it holds in time after 8 years but the first Witcher won't be forgotten as it was a truly great experience

Top Bottom