• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

I've not really had much motivation to do side quests, to be honest. The main quests are so long and include so much travel that when I'm done with them I just feel like moving on to the next chapter. There have been a few exceptions, but when I do go to a notice board it's usually for some $$.

Grinchy

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Chapter 5 is cool in concept, but goddam does the shit combat really show when you have a dozen or so enemies around you.

Also, I'm 25 hours in and coming to the end. You guys musta been playing on harder difficulties and/or doing everything under the sun to go 60+ hours!
LOL maybe I shouldn't admit this but I had close to 15 hours or so just in Chapter 1. I was really soaking it all in. Then I got to Ch. 2 and stopped playing. I don't know why.

Gvaz

Banned
Chapter 2 is where it gets better, chapter 1 is the weakest link. Also chapter 5, but by that time you're done.

Oh you should have been picking up the Noticeboard quests dude, most of them you'll just complete as you go about your business and they force you to get all the monster books so you always have a bag full of potions.

Grinchy said:
LOL maybe I shouldn't admit this but I had close to 15 hours or so just in Chapter 1. I was really soaking it all in. Then I got to Ch. 2 and stopped playing. I don't know why.
Other way around for me. I blasted through chapter 1, but 2 and 3 really absorbed me.

2 > 3 > 4 > 1 for me, so far. 5 is pretty cool but it's a bit too linear thus far and I can't find anywhere to buy/trade, which is annoying. I'm desperate for stuff to make potions with, especially to
fight the Striga
where I kept dying!

Gvaz

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Other way around for me. I blasted through chapter 1, but 2 and 3 really absorbed me.

2 > 3 > 4 > 1 for me, so far. 5 is pretty cool but it's a bit too linear thus far and I can't find anywhere to buy/trade, which is annoying. I'm desperate for stuff to make potions with, especially to
fight the Striga
where I kept dying!
That fight's easy, just run around the pillar until the time runs out. when it gets close, aard it. rinse and repeat.

That being said, why aren't you looting everything? I always had too many potions.

jim-jam bongs said:
Fences in the streets for most things, Kalkstein for hooch. Also the druids in the swamp sell booze and ingredients.
I haven't fully explored the swamp yet, so that's good to know! I was going to go back there to find all of the armor pieces, but figured I'd leave it for the night since I've put like 8 hours into the game today >_> However, now the big fight is over I can't find any fences. It's only injured soldiers and nurses.

I shall search the druids out tomorrow before I go back into the crypt!

Foliorum Viridum said:
I haven't fully explored the swamp yet, so that's good to know! I was going to go back there to find all of the armor pieces, but figured I'd leave it for the night since I've put like 8 hours into the game today >_> However, now the big fight is over I can't find any fences. It's only injured soldiers and nurses.

I shall search the druids out tomorrow before I go back into the crypt!
Just be aware that they value their beauty sleep. If you try to talk to them between about 8pm and 6am they'll tell you off for hassling them. It's a bit cheap, but I usually meditate a full 24 hours in their cave and stock up, then rinse and repeat until my bags are loaded with spirits.

I finished it. The end of chapter 5 was pretty damn hard, first the
spider boss really kicked my ass
and then the stupid choice to have
no chance to save between the fight with the two big mutants before going on to fight Javed
. Thankfully, the latter fight seemed to glitch itself as he died after having over half his health left. I'm not complaining!

The epilogue seemed a bit... rushed, to say the least. It was cool to see how your choices had impacted the world (I had sided
with the Order
) but I didn't like the setting and it felt a bit too much like a boss rush mode.

I'm really excited to go into 2 now to find out more.
Was Alvin really the Grand Master? Will my relationship with Triss blossom more? Who was the assassin at the end?

Despite its flaws, it was a great game.

AEREC

Dries said:
You can't walk in over the shoulder mode?

nope.

Also I finally beat this game last night after around 60+ hours. I enjoyed it overall but some of the dialogue just left me confused and most of it did not seem to lead anywhere. Though I can tell just from playing the first 30 minutes of the Witcher 2, this has been much improved.

The combat system was really awkward through the game as well and looked silly too, glad to see that it has been improved in the Witcher 2 as well.

I also played it on the Hard difficulty which ended up being a cakewalk, but some of the boss fights were still fun as I often had to come up with a different strategy when rushing in did not work...but outside the boss fights there was no challenge.

Also are the New Adventures in Witcher 1 worth playing?

Dries

Hmm I got two graphical issues:

- For instance, in the beginning, when the freightner is on screen I experience massive slow downs. Also, when Triss does her magic in that part I get major frame-drops. Some kind of demanding enviromental effect?

- Horizontal lines in faces. Really obvious in cutscenes. Don't really know how to explain it, so I hope someone knows what I mean.

Anyone recognise these issues?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Dries said:
Hmm I got two graphical issues:

- For instance, in the beginning, when the freightner is on screen I experience massive slow downs. Also, when Triss does her magic in that part I get major frame-drops. Some kind of demanding enviromental effect?

- Horizontal lines in faces. Really obvious in cutscenes. Don't really know how to explain it, so I hope someone knows what I mean.

Anyone recognise these issues?

If you're on ATI, shut off Anti-Aliasing, they don't play nice and causes crazy performance issues.

The horizontal line fix is to run the game in 16x9 instead of 16x10.

Dries

Sinatar said:
If you're on ATI, shut off Anti-Aliasing, they don't play nice and causes crazy performance issues.

The horizontal line fix is to run the game in 16x9 instead of 16x10.

Yeah, I'm on ATI. I already turned off AA, because I indeed noticed the performance issues.

Uuh, about the line fix. How can I see if I'm playing in 16:9 or 16:10? I'm not too good with computers, sorry :p

SimonM7

Running the game in 16:9 cuts the horizontal res down 80 pixels for me from 1680 to 1600, leaving black borders on the sides aswell as on the top and bottom. Is there any way to set a custom resolution for the game so you at least get the full width?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
fresquito said:
WTF is wrong with this game's save system? Today I realised I have tens and tens of saves!

Nothing? The game should maintain only four autosaves.

6shQD.jpg

JaseC

Foliorum Viridum said:
I quicksaved a lot and had nearly 5gb of saves in the end. Crazy! They're so big.

Just how many saves did you have? None of my five are larger than 19MB. ~5GB / 19MB would put your count at ~270. :eek:

Yeah that sounds about right. I quicksave a lot in RPGs for fear of glitches etc.

I have TBs of space so it's not an issue, I just haven't had a save folder that big since I played Deus Ex.

Gvaz

Banned
JaseC said:
Just how many saves did you have? None of my five are larger than 19MB. ~5GB / 19MB would put your count at ~270. :eek:
If you didn't have at least around 3gb of saves in TW2 or TW1 you're doing it wrong

Good grief, I don't know how you people can play with that many save files! I think I went through the game with three (maybe four) save files. I had my autosave and two manual save files I would alternate saving over.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah with PC games the great part is you just hit f5 to quicksave every 30 minutes or less and manual save once an hour or two.

Just got to Chapter 3 last night, and played a little bit into it. I'm definitely enjoying it so far and I must have around 20+ hours. I bough it on GOG so I can't check the playtime.

Like someone else said, the dialogue can get a little confusing at times. Not that it's poorly written, but sometimes it shows those cutscenes showing me how my choice affected something and after it's finished I'm like, "wait, what?"

Another problem I encountered last night is that the game is so big that I'm actually missing important events. At the end of Chapter 2, (minor character meeting spoilers, but highlighted just in case)
after the autopsy, apparently I was supposed to go meet with Shani again because she was going to throw me a party. I completely missed this and just continued on to the magic tower to finish up the chapter. Needless to say, when I met Dandelion the next chapter, Geralt acted like he knew him, when they technically haven't met yet in my game. I know he's a major player in the W2, so I figured the first meeting would be important, and I just run across him in a bar and Geralt acts like they've met before. I did some wiki'ing and apparently you "meet" him for the first time in the game at Shani's party, which I completely missed.

So yeah, I feel like the game does a poor job of making sure the player sees important events. Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me who/what the King of the Hunt is without major spoilers? I first met him in Chapter 1 or 2 I think in someones basement, and again, Geralt acted like they met before when I have no recollection of ever seeing him/it previously.

DarkChronic said:
Another problem I encountered last night is that the game is so big that I'm actually missing important events. At the end of Chapter 2, (minor character meeting spoilers, but highlighted just in case)
after the autopsy, apparently I was supposed to go meet with Shani again because she was going to throw me a party. I completely missed this and just continued on to the magic tower to finish up the chapter. Needless to say, when I met Dandelion the next chapter, Geralt acted like he knew him, when they technically haven't met yet in my game. I know he's a major player in the W2, so I figured the first meeting would be important, and I just run across him in a bar and Geralt acts like they've met before. I did some wiki'ing and apparently you "meet" him for the first time in the game at Shani's party, which I completely missed.
Actually, they know each other prior to the game, so don't worry about that.

Sorry you missed that scene, though. It was easily one of my favorites in the game. If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and go watch it on youtube.

Typographenia said:
Actually, they know each other prior to the game, so don't worry about that.

Sorry you missed that scene, though. It was easily one of my favorites in the game. If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and go watch it on youtube.

Yeah, I know they know each other from before the game, but I figured Geralt still shouldn't recognize him because of the amnesia.

And yeah, I ended up youtube'ing the scene. Pretty irked I missed it. Ah well.

Dries

jim-jam bongs said:
Van Buren put it best. The first game has a lot of subtle tunes like the Vizima by day stuff, whereas in the second game everything is made to feel more epic for better or worse.

Ah. Kinda like Mass Effect 1 againt 2.

DarkChronic said:
Just got to Chapter 3 last night, and played a little bit into it. I'm definitely enjoying it so far and I must have around 20+ hours. I bough it on GOG so I can't check the playtime.

Like someone else said, the dialogue can get a little confusing at times. Not that it's poorly written, but sometimes it shows those cutscenes showing me how my choice affected something and after it's finished I'm like, "wait, what?"

So yeah, I feel like the game does a poor job of making sure the player sees important events. Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me who/what the King of the Hunt is without major spoilers? I first met him in Chapter 1 or 2 I think in someones basement, and again, Geralt acted like they met before when I have no recollection of ever seeing him/it previously.
Well, shit, I thought I just forgot about him from the first chapter or something when I ran into him there. I didn't do that either, so that explains that!

AEREC

fresquito said:
WTF is wrong with this game's save system? Today I realised I have tens and tens of saves!

It's just cumbersome and unoptimized. I quick save in this game alot and with each save file being around 20MB they take up a lot up space...my Witcher save folder is probably about 16GB after I was done. Though I had to constant move them to a different fodler otherwise they game would take forever when I go to load a game.

It also doesnt help that the witcher doesnt overwrite your previous quicksave.

JaseC

Gvaz said:
If you didn't have at least around 3gb of saves in TW2 or TW1 you're doing it wrong

Or I was just that good. :p
I won't begin TW2 until I upgrade, which should be in about 3-4 weeks.

SimonM7

Just wanted to follow up on my previous inquiry that I added a custom resolution of 1680 x 945 via regedit to my Ati 6870 to create a 16:9 resolution for my 1680 x 1050, 16:10 monitor. It works great. No horizontal lines, no borders on the sides, just letterboxed and horizontal banding free.

I'm at the
swamp elementary
on chapter V, and my game is crashing all over the place. 3 crashes within an hour yesterday. I have 50 hours of gameplay already. Any one seen this happen?

I verified the file cache on Steam, and I hope that fixes the issue.

sflufan

Banned
AEREC said:
It's just cumbersome and unoptimized. I quick save in this game alot and with each save file being around 20MB they take up a lot up space...my Witcher save folder is probably about 16GB after I was done. Though I had to constant move them to a different fodler otherwise they game would take forever when I go to load a game.

It also doesnt help that the witcher doesnt overwrite your previous quicksave.

And guess what they don't fix in the sequel?!?

Not overwriting quicksaves isn't an issue. I'd considering overwriting quicksaves a HUGE issue myself.

I like to have each and every save in case of glitches etc.

OMFG!

Just finished the game for the first time. I think this game just displaced all other RPGs I've ever played from the top spot. The last portion of the game made me feel like a total badass.

Onto the Witcher 2!

goddamn...I hate aspects of this damn game..

I am fighting Javed near the end and he blinds me 6 to 7 times per fight, and I have the 50 percent resistance to blinding skill...such a cheap bloody ability, I could slaughter him otherwise...How the hell can I reduce blinding? I already have resistance to knockdown via willow but this shit is to cheap... game has some serious design flaws but I want to get it out the way before tackling Witcher 2

nelsonroyale said:
goddamn...I hate aspects of this damn game..

I am fighting Javed near the end and he blinds me 6 to 7 times per fight, and I have the 50 percent resistance to blinding skill...such a cheap bloody ability, I could slaughter him otherwise...How the hell can I reduce blinding? I already have resistance to knockdown via willow but this shit is to cheap... game has some serious design flaws but I want to get it out the way before tackling Witcher 2

Upgrade the associated attribute tree and you'll end up with 100% blinding resistance. It sucks, but the first time I played the game I had to go back about 2 hours/levels to free up the points to fix it.

The game doesn't tell you this very well but you really want to have at least 4/5 for the strength, endurance and dexterity trees or you'll have gimped resistances.

Rekubot

Hey, I apologise if this question has already been asked but I don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers.

Chapter 2 spoilers:

I've just learned that Ramsmeat is innocent and he gave me some information on Javed. I then returned to Raymond and he says Kalkstein and Ramsmeat are working together with the salamanders, and that I should go and kill Ramsmeat. I can't tell Raymond that Ramsmeat is innocent, so I'm stuck.

I'm pretty sure I've done all the quests I can do at this point, the only ones left are poker, fistfighting, the missing child (where is he?) and that tenth talisman thing that is supposed to appear by destiny, so I assume it'll show up once I've solved the investigation.

I could continue by killing Ramsmeat, but it's pretty clear at this point that there's something off about Raymond. Is there another way to go about things?

Oh one another thing. I haven't managed to prove Thaler's innocence. Is there something I can do about him?

Rekubot said:
Hey, I apologise if this question has already been asked but I don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers.

Chapter 2 spoilers:

I've just learned that Ramsmeat is innocent and he gave me some information on Javed. I then returned to Raymond and he says Kalkstein and Ramsmeat are working together with the salamanders, and that I should go and kill Ramsmeat. I can't tell Raymond that Ramsmeat is innocent, so I'm stuck.

I'm pretty sure I've done all the quests I can do at this point, the only ones left are poker, fistfighting, the missing child (where is he?) and that tenth talisman thing that is supposed to appear by destiny, so I assume it'll show up once I've solved the investigation.

I could continue by killing Ramsmeat, but it's pretty clear at this point that there's something off about Raymond. Is there another way to go about things?

Oh one another thing. I haven't managed to prove Thaler's innocence. Is there something I can do about him?
I think you might need to return to Raymond's house and talk to him. I believe that since you have ruled out Ramsmeat that you won't be forced to kill him, and Geralt will just bluff.

Also, don't worry about the missing child thing, that's in another chapter or two.

edit: Regarding Thaler-
you might try checking outside his place at night, investigating the graveyard, or talking with Jethro about where the silver sword came from. Maybe you just need to speak to him about Geralt's suspicions?

statham

I think I'm still on chapter 1 about 5 hours in. playing on normal. do I have to mix herbs and whatnot to beat the game? I rather do side missions and buy them for more $$$ is that possible? or am I flower hunting for potions later in the game? love the game so far. and any advantage of playing OTS? I haven't seen any yet. I like the mouse 90% of time with a few keyboard inputs. Also If anyone wants to sell a steam code for witcher 2, PM me.

and how are those free DLC packs? worth it?

fresquito

statham said:
I think I'm still on chapter 1 about 5 hours in. playing on normal. do I have to mix herbs and whatnot to beat the game? I rather do side missions and buy them for more $$$ is that possible? or am I flower hunting for potions later in the game? love the game so far. and any advantage of playing OTS? I haven't seen any yet. I like the mouse 90% of time with a few keyboard inputs. Also If anyone wants to sell a steam code for witcher 2, PM me.

and how are those free DLC packs? worth it?
The game is pretty easy on normal. You won't have any problem beating it without using herbs (at least, up until chapter 4, where I am, it's not). That said, potions and oils are very usefull for certain moments where difficulty might ramp up. So, don't get obsessed with getting money or gathering herbs, but pick up the ones you pass by.

BTW, a good way to make money is killing creatures and selling ingredients (also collectable from herbs). But again, getting money is not that necessary.

Now, about my experience: I've reached chapter four and I'me somehow getting a bit tired. But I wouldn't say it's the game's fault. I liked chaper two better than three, but the game is great as a whole. Probably the best RPG I've played in years. That said, I can't get my head to get the concentration needed to beat a 50+ hours game anymore, it seems. Doing some numbers it's about two hours a day for a whole month. The game demands too much dedication from me. But I'm afraid to put it on hold, since it will be hard to resume. I'm taking some days off from playing it and hopefully I will get back to it with renewned energy.

Top Bottom