• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

Rekubot

Typographenia said:
I think you might need to return to Raymond's house and talk to him. I believe that since you have ruled out Ramsmeat that you won't be forced to kill him, and Geralt will just bluff.

Also, don't worry about the missing child thing, that's in another chapter or two.

edit: Regarding Thaler-
you might try checking outside his place at night, investigating the graveyard, or talking with Jethro about where the silver sword came from. Maybe you just need to speak to him about Geralt's suspicions?
Thanks! I'd forgotten to check out
the graveyard
. Holy shit this chapter just turned awesome.

statham

fresquito said:
The game is pretty easy on normal. You won't have any problem beating it without using herbs (at least, up until chapter 4, where I am, it's not). That said, potions and oils are very usefull for certain moments where difficulty might ramp up. So, don't get obsessed with getting money or gathering herbs, but pick up the ones you pass by.

BTW, a good way to make money is killing creatures and selling ingredients (also collectable from herbs). But again, getting money is not that necessary.

Now, about my experience: I've reached chapter four and I'me somehow getting a bit tired. But I wouldn't say it's the game's fault. I liked chaper two better than three, but the game is great as a whole. Probably the best RPG I've played in years. That said, I can't get my head to get the concentration needed to beat a 50+ hours game anymore, it seems. Doing some numbers it's about two hours a day for a whole month. The game demands too much dedication from me. But I'm afraid to put it on hold, since it will be hard to resume. I'm taking some days off from playing it and hopefully I will get back to it with renewned energy.
question, I keep finding axes and short sword I haven't gotten a silver sword yet, are they of any importance? I just keep dropping them because they fill up my sack.

Exuro

statham said:
question, I keep finding axes and short sword I haven't gotten a silver sword yet, are they of any importance? I just keep dropping them because they fill up my sack.
Silver swords are for monsters, they're quite important. Axes, shortswords, anything that's not a normal steel sword is for the most part useless.

Glad that helped, Rekubot! Enjoy!
statham said:
I think I'm still on chapter 1 about 5 hours in. playing on normal. do I have to mix herbs and whatnot to beat the game? I rather do side missions and buy them for more $$$ is that possible? or am I flower hunting for potions later in the game? love the game so far. and any advantage of playing OTS? I haven't seen any yet. I like the mouse 90% of time with a few keyboard inputs. Also If anyone wants to sell a steam code for witcher 2, PM me.

and how are those free DLC packs? worth it?
I played on normal, and I only mixed a few of the potential potions. There's tons you can potentially make, but the ones for health (tawny owl, aww yeah) and increased attack/defense were my main focuses. If you just play it smart, though, you really won't need to worry on normal. If you want to avoid potion making almost all together, just look for the mod to let you rest at any place you like. You can heal yourself using that and it should come with an item to let you see in the dark (like the cat eye potion) whenever you like.

I never went gathering for herbs like I did at the start of the game, as you'll pass tons of things naturally or find plenty of ingredients as you progress. You'll also find lots of potions ready to use while investigating barrels, chests, and so forth.

Advantage of OTS is just the best viewpoint for playing. I didn't like the other camera views, personally, so just go with what feels best.

I only played that "Price of Neutrality" quest, and it was okay. If you finish the game and want more, I say go for it. It's at least easy to save about 15 minutes before the end to do the various endings of the quest.

edit:
statham said:
I never once used the additional weapons such as those. I always stuck with my primary steel and silver, and I just sold back the side-arms for cash.

One thing to consider is keeping an extra Steel Sword in your backup weapon slot so that you can apply a different blade coating to it. For reasons I won't go into, this is extremely useful in Chapter 5.

statham

jim-jam bongs said:
One thing to consider is keeping an extra Steel Sword in your backup weapon slot so that you can apply a different blade coating to it. For reasons I won't go into, this is extremely useful in Chapter 5.
so yur saying I still wont have a silver sword at chapter 5! WTH, I need to start investing more into my steel sword!

Van Buren

statham said:
so yur saying I still wont have a silver sword at chapter 5! WTH, I need to start investing more into my steel sword!

You always run into monsters, so while investing in silver swords is a good way to go, I'd suggest investing equally in the Steel tree if you are going for a melee build.

Fast Style > Strong Style >> Group style would be the order of importance while allocating talent points. Group style can make fighting swarms of enemies in Acts 2 and later easier, but it is not as essential for survival as the other two styles are.

statham said:
should I invest more into steel or silver? last spoiler I'll ask.
I don't really know any great way to put this lightly, but-
I would say steel is more important near the beginning and ending of the game, while silver is more important around the middle section of the game.
Just play it by ear as you go, and you'll be fine.

Ok, I'm just about to start playing this. I'm a bit confused regarding the two control methods though. Is there an overall preference? What are the pros and cons of both?

Grinchy

Banned
Bungieware said:
I know I'm like 4 years behind everyone else, but I'm getting this weird effect on the character models during cutscenes. Solution?
You are likely using something other than a 16:9 aspect ratio.

You need to choose a resolution that is 16:9.

Bungieware said:
Ok, I'm just about to start playing this. I'm a bit confused regarding the two control methods though. Is there an overall preference? What are the pros and cons of both?
I find OTS to be good for general exploration and looking around, while isometric is great for battles with numerous enemies. Isometric lets you quickly switch to enemies behind you, whereas OTS doesn't since they're out of view. It's much quicker than swinging the camera around. But then again, The Witcher really isn't difficult enough that it's a problem.

Also, isometric reminds me of the 90's CRPGs, so it has a huge nostalgic factor for me.

Anyone have a good link or know of a mod to remove the HUD/GUI for taking screenshots? I found one called gui-toggle but none of the download links for it appear to be active anymore.

firen

Just got the game. Before I start playing, are there any essential aesthetic mods I should add? If my internet was faster, I'd be playing the game by now.

fresquito

Just finished this. Following, my general impressions.

- I think the plot is quite solid and you get the impression that your actions matter. That's nice. However, I think the story goes too far and adds many elements that don't really add to the experience (Chapter IV I'm looking at you).
- Choices are good and how they come to fruition is really well done. However, there're too many forced choices on the player. A or B, you ask? What about C? I mean, there're obvious choices not offered to the player. Anyway, I can't really complain too much about this, since it's probably the best I've played in this regard.
- Too many sidequests. In the beginning I didn't mind. But towards the end it becomes boring. And I know, you can avoid them, but I think they take from the urge of the main plot. I know time doesn't really exist, but doing side quests when
Vizima is burning
is not the best way to make the player understand how dangerous the situation is.
- The armor quest came out of nowhere and it's not welcome.
- Fistfights suck.
- Dice is fun, but WTF?
- Chapter IV i a train wreck.
- Combat works, but it's not really enjoyable. It becomes a bit tiresome towards the end.
- The game is too easy. Yeah, I played on normal dificulty, but I expected more. I would slice through all enemies no matter what I did. At least I felt like a badass witcher :-D
- Presentation is mostly good, but sometimes cutscenes are a bit meh.
- All in all, I've enjoyed my time a lot. Although after 30 hours it be came a bit repetitive from a gameplay point of view and story came to a halt (Damn Chapter IV). Chapter V and Epilogue left a sweet taste in my mouth though.
- OST is ace.
- Prologue is well done and presents well the game to you. Maybe too long for a totorial.
- Chapter I is hit and miss. You get to know the basics of the game, but spend mostly all the time running.
- Chapter II is my favorite. It surprised me how the game becomes almost an adventure game.
- Chapter II is equally good, but maybe there're too many forced choices on the player. Although others are really well done (
Thaler
. The
Werewolf story
comes out of nowhere.
- Chapter IV is horrible. It's like a giant sidestory with multiple sidestories inside. It's like Chapter I all over again. But the worst is: Why the fuck a big cow follows me through the whole chapter?
- Chapter V is mostly good. I would take out the armor quest, which is like too relevant when it's nothing special in reality.
- Epilogue is surprising. It plays bad, but it's interesting how things develop. I like the speech of
the Wild Hunt. And BTW, I don't think the Grand Master is Alvin, but someone like Alvin. And WTF at the final cutscene? Is the game telling me I could've been the assassin too? Maybe I'm a bit dense after some intense hours of play x-D
- I'll be playing The Witcher II down the line, that's for sure.

Gvaz

Banned
No the game is telling you that
Alvin = Grandmaster. It's also saying that other Witchers are trying to assassinate kings which leads right into the plot of the second game.

The
werewolf
story was hinted at for a bit, and it was the most unlikely person, who you later should either like or hate.

Van Buren

fresquito said:
- Chapter IV is horrible. It's like a giant sidestory with multiple sidestories inside. It's like Chapter I all over again. But the worst is: Why the fuck a big cow follows me through the whole chapter?
- Chapter V is mostly good. I would take out the armor quest, which is like too relevant when it's nothing special in reality.
- Epilogue is surprising. It plays bad, but it's interesting how things develop. I like the speech of
the Wild Hunt. And BTW, I don't think the Grand Master is Alvin, but someone like Alvin. And WTF at the final cutscene? Is the game telling me I could've been the assassin too? Maybe I'm a bit dense after some intense hours of play x-D
- I'll be playing The Witcher II down the line, that's for sure.
The Grand Master is Alvin, though the game does not beat that fact over one's head. It's a very subtle twist and I appreciated CDPR having enough faith in the players to figure that one out.

Chapter IV's significance in the main story becomes apparent on deducing Alvin = Grand Master, since one's tutelage of Alvin in Chapter IV is referenced by the Grand Master interpreting Geralt's life lessons to Alvin in a twisted manner, paving the way for the kind of man he is seen to be in Chapter 5 and beyond. This monumental narrative significance aside, Chapter IV contained some wonderful ambiance thanks to the visuals and music, but was held back by far too many fetch quests. Making the entire Chapter revolve around the seemingly mundane events like the wedding was a clever way to mask Alvin's involvement with Geralt.

fresquito

But Geralt says Grand Master wears a necklace like Alvin's, but just much older. Although thinking about it, Merigold says he could be travelling in time. So he maybe travels in time and comes back as the Grand Master. But then again, the Gran Master is supposed to be there from the beginning, so I don't see how he could be Alvin, because when Alvin is in Vizima, the Grand Master, although not know, is supposed to be a high rank already. Well, it's a bit confusing, to say the least. Very open to interpretation, if you ask me.

And thanks about clearing that about Witchers killing kings. But now that you mention it, it makes sense it's The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings xD or something like that.

As for Chapter IV. I disagree. The lessons I taught to Alvin are nothing like what he does in the end. And I think no matter what it happens in Chapter IV, Grand Master is the same. Am I wrong? In that case, they don't serve any porpose. And gameplay-wise, it is a very dull chapter. Going back and forth all the time. Then there's this mundane wedding thing. See, I just got teleported, saved from the princess killing me, I don't care about some wedding!

All in all, I still think it's a fantastic game.

fresquito said:
But Geralt says Grand Master wears a necklace like Alvin's, but just much older. Although thinking about it, Merigold says he could be travelling in time. So he maybe travels in time and comes back as the Grand Master. But then again, the Gran Master is supposed to be there from the beginning, so I don't see how he could be Alvin, because when Alvin is in Vizima, the Grand Master, although not know, is supposed to be a high rank already. Well, it's a bit confusing, to say the least. Very open to interpretation, if you ask me.

And thanks about clearing that about Witchers killing kings. But now that you mention it, it makes sense it's The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings xD or something like that.

As for Chapter IV. I disagree. The lessons I taught to Alvin are nothing like what he does in the end. And I think no matter what it happens in Chapter IV, Grand Master is the same. Am I wrong? In that case, they don't serve any porpose. And gameplay-wise, it is a very dull chapter. Going back and forth all the time. Then there's this mundane wedding thing. See, I just got teleported, saved from the princess killing me, I don't care about some wedding!

All in all, I still think it's a fantastic game.
There isn't any point in trying to make sense of time travel, but the Grandmaster is definitely Alvin, his speech even changes to reflect what you told Alvin during Chapter 4.

fresquito

darkpaladinmfc said:
There isn't any point in trying to make sense of time travel, but the Grandmaster is definitely Alvin, his speech even changes to reflect what you told Alvin during Chapter 4.
But my path was neutrality and the Grand Master I found was trying to erradicate non-humans. I doesn't make much sense. Anyway. If you insist so much then I'll take it is like this. But in my head it makes not much sense.

Van Buren

fresquito said:
The lessons I taught to Alvin are nothing like what he does in the end. And I think no matter what it happens in Chapter IV, Grand Master is the same. Am I wrong? In that case, they don't serve any porpose. And gameplay-wise, it is a very dull chapter. Going back and forth all the time.

The Grand Master always remains the antagonist, but the key difference here is that early in Chapter 5, the Grand Master repeats the advice given by Geralt to Alvin in Chapter 4. There is also a specific Alvin dialog in Chapter 4 where he says that he always defeats the non-humans in the humans & non-humans game that he plays with the other village children. The Grand Master's future attitude towards non-humans is hinted at here, and even Geralt's life lessons are interpreted by the Grand Master in a way that fits in with his world view regarding non-humans.

Regarding the simple fetch quests of Chapter 4, that was a frequently-cited criticism, and the sequel features much more substantial side quests filled with delicious ambiguity.

fresquito said:
But my path was neutrality and the Grand Master I found was trying to erradicate non-humans. I doesn't make much sense. Anyway. If you insist so much then I'll take it is like this. But in my head it makes not much sense.
It's not based on what path you chose, but what you would say to Alvin when he'd ask you a question. Do you remember those times where he would suddenly show up to ask a question and all of Geralt's responses were kind of blowing him off, quick responses, and the like? That's what affects Alvin/Grand Master's views, if you so believe.

fresquito

Typographenia said:
It's not based on what path you chose, but what you would say to Alvin when he'd ask you a question. Do you remember those times where he would suddenly show up to ask a question and all of Geralt's responses were kind of blowing him off, quick responses, and the like? That's what affects Alvin/Grand Master's views, if you so believe.
Yeah, well, I believe you know better than I. That said, I think it's a bit of a fail from them that we're discussing this. I don't need cristal clear things, but this is beyond ambiguous.

fresquito said:
Yeah, well, I believe you know better than I. That said, I think it's a bit of a fail from them that we're discussing this. I don't need cristal clear things, but this is beyond ambiguous.
I honestly thought it couldn't have been any clearer without ruining it.

fresquito

Well, the necklace is probably what had me wondering. But still, no big complain here. Maybe it was me. Chapter IV meant a chore to me, maybe I didn't pay enough atention.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah it was pretty obvious. I wouldn't call it subtle. It doesn't beat you over the head with it, but it's so heavily hinted it's hardly ambiguous.
I think the
time travel
stuff is what makes it confusing. It's not really a part of the story or really introduced in a way that's as effective as anything else in the game.

Typographenia said:
I think the
time travel
stuff is what makes it confusing. It's not really a part of the story or really introduced in a way that's as effective as anything else in the game.
Well, it is mentioned that
Alvin coulld have gone anywhere/anytime
which planted the seeds well enough.

Gvaz

Banned
Also if you read the books you realize that the witcher setting is actually an unknown point in the future, where people have lost all their technology.

Not spoiling that because it's more of a subtle read-between-the-lines thing in the books and people should know.

ChiefKief

Banned
Weird problem, the game runs fantastic and never lags and everything is dandy and fine,

but whenever I hit escape when I'm done playing and I hit "exit to main menu" it always ends up going into a black screen where I can hear game sound effects but I can't even 'ctrl alt del'

No matter what it hangs on that black screen and I end up having to manually restart it through the tower and I hate doing that.. It feels like I'm destroying my hardware piece by piece every time I have to do that :/

Everytime I finish playing I just 'ctrl alt del' to my desktop and close the game through the task manager, but this isn't an ideal solution D:

ChiefKief

Banned
I really REALLY hate to bump this thread since I was the last one to reply, but I'm at a total loss here :/

Google yields no one with even a similar problem, and it's just crazy to think that forcing the program to shut down through the task manager is the end all be all solution to this?

Maybe there's a really simple solution to this somewhat insignificant problem, but if anyone could help at all, then hot diggity damn I'll be your digital slave

Are you playing it on cd, steam, gog, or what?

You might just need to try reinstalling or verifying your files. Have you ever just waited a while to see if it eventually goes to desktop after the screen goes black?

ChiefKief

Banned
Typographenia said:
Are you playing it on cd, steam, gog, or what?

You might just need to try reinstalling or verifying your files. Have you ever just waited a while to see if it eventually goes to desktop after the screen goes black?
On Steam and I haven't Verified my files since there's no problem with the game besides it not letting me exit xD

And yeah I've also tried to just let it sit there, but that doesn't do anything either.. Just a black screen for like 10-15 minutes :(

EDIT: Just verified my game files.. Same deal ;/

Dries

So yeah wtf, I get to play Crysis on highest settings with over 30 fps, but in the Witcher when I come across the druid camp and the tree of life in the swamps my framerate dips below 30 :') Some crazy effect going on there that the engine doesn't like..

Le-mo

I am feeling very tempted to pick this up since I finished all of my Steam games and I never really gotten into WRPG so this might be a good start. Ahh decisions.

Le-mo

Gaf, why can't I play this with maxed setting without stuttering and framerate drop? I'm running it on a HD Radeon 6950, Amd Athlon X4, Windows 7 64-bit ultimate and 8GB of ram. What gives.

Le-mo said:
Gaf, why can't I play this with maxed setting without stuttering and framerate drop? I'm running it on a HD Radeon 6950, Amd Athlon X4, Windows 7 64-bit ultimate and 8GB of ram. What gives.
It's nothing to do with your hardware, it's just a not super optimized game. Be prepared for things like that to happen time to time.

I played with the absolute lowest quality on my laptop when I played it, and it still gave me issues. Game looked weird when I saw it actually had grass and stuff in it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dries said:
Wondering, are all chapters equally long? Currently in chap 2 and it's loooong.

Chapter 2 is probably the longest, but 3 and 4 are fairly lengthy as well. Chapter 5 is much shorter though.

I'm playing this again right now, working towards the end of chapter 1. Love this game. <3

anddo0

Snuggler said:
Chapter 2 is probably the longest, but 3 and 4 are fairly lengthy as well. Chapter 5 is much shorter though.

I'm playing this again right now, working towards the end of chapter 1. Love this game. <3

I need to get back into this game. I stopped playing after Ch2 because it dragged, and I got bored of the whole detective aspect (a lot of back and forth).

Dries

Just started chapter IV. How many more hours do I still have ahead of me? I want to finish it quickly, so I can start TW2.

Dries said:
Just started chapter IV. How many more hours do I still have ahead of me? I want to finish it quickly, so I can start TW2.

It really depends. I skipped a lot of side-quests in Act IV and V the first time through and it was maybe 8 hours? The second time I spent maybe 20 hours on them.

Dries

jim-jam bongs said:
It really depends. I skipped a lot of side-quests in Act IV and V the first time through and it was maybe 8 hours? The second time I spent maybe 20 hours on them.

Well, now I'm just playing to enhance my Witcher 2 experience. So I'm just playing for the story and characters. 8 hours it is then.

Dries

Now I'm realizing I am literally forcing myself to complete The Witcher 1. The only reason I keep on playing is just so that I won't miss anything story related in The Witcher 2. But I'm not enjoying the game really anymore. Thinking I'll just read the story on wiki or something and watch the cut scenes on YouTube.

Tell me GAF, should I soldier on with the game or not? And what harm will it do if I don't complete TW1? I know I won't have a save file to import.. and that kinda sucks.

Top Bottom