• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

disappeared said:
I cannot stand censorship.

Oh, and where are the required/recommended specs at?

Minimum requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800

1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista

128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)

8.5 GB available hard drive space

DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones

DVD-Rom

Recommended requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz or AMD X2 5600+

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 PRO

DVD-Rom

-----

Keep in mind that while the core gameplay engine is a heavily modified NWN1 engine, CDProjekt rewrote the renderer completely.

Regarding censorship-it's ridiculous that chopping up some duder into bits is bad and hand-drawn naughty bits are a bad thing. Import version purchase is so I can play the game the way the developer made it, and not through some artifical puritan bullshit filter imposed by the ESRB and retail stores.

Why the fuck Atari won't sell a digital download uncut version of the game on their website is beyond me, though.

Cripes, I can run it right now with no problems. I'm not quite up to par with the recommended specs, but I'll be damned close after I upgrade.

Fragamemnon said:
Regarding censorship-it's ridiculous that chopping up some duder into bits is bad and hand-drawn naughty bits are a bad thing. Import version purchase is so I can play the game the way the developer made it, and not through some artifical puritan bullshit filter imposed by the ESRB and retail stores.

That's been the problem with our Western "culture" for a long time now. Violence and destruction is a-okay, but an exposed part of the natural human body is a no-no.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
disappeared said:
That's been the problem with the Western "culture" for a long time now. Violence and destruction is a-okay, but an exposed part of the natural human body is a no-no.

Yeah, it's kind of funny that we all knew exactly what it was the second we learned about the two versions, but to be (mildly) fair isn't the two-version system a corporate decision rather than a regulatory mandate? I certainly can't begrudge Atari too much for wanting to avoid headaches though; plus if they really are envisioning console versions they'd have to edit regardless.

Kabouter

disappeared said:
That's been the problem with our Western "culture" for a long time now. Violence and destruction is a-okay, but an exposed part of the natural human body is a no-no.
What do you mean Western culture? :D
Showing tits is a-ok on TV here, even in the afternoon.

Defcon

Banned
Holy shit those requirements are high for what is technically the original NWN engine. There must be hardly anything of it left or it's poorly optimized, one.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
disappeared said:
That's been the problem with our American "culture" for a long time now. Violence and destruction is a-okay, but an exposed part of the natural human body is a no-no.
Fixed.
Not here in Euroland dude :D

Bossman

Defcon said:
Holy shit those requirements are high for what is technically the original NWN engine. There must be hardly anything of it left or it's poorly optimized, one.

It's possible that some camera angles are more demanding than others. Personally I'm going to play the game from the top-down perspective and not from some console style 3rd person.

Fragamemnon said:
I can't remember the last game I didn't play at Hard difficultly. It's just the way I like to play my games-the extra demands on the player as a result make for a more rich and challenging experience, IMO.

Of course, in some games (like HL2) hard mode doesn't mean all that much.

:D I am the sort of the opposite. Usually playing on Normal and saving FREQUENTLY.
The first time I played Half life 2, I died a lot. Though, It was pretty new to FPS genre on the PC, and sort of still am.

But games like RTS, I truly suck at. I can never beat the later levels, when it's two factions/races against you. I can't imagine playing it hard level.

Stupid question, but is there a first-person perspective? I've been playing nothing but Morrowind and Oblivion lately, and I'm hooked on the immersion that said perspective provides.

Defcon said:

The graphics engine and pipeline have been totally rewritten/replaced, as I understand it.

So any trusty reviews out yet? Or does anyone have the game already? I'm itching for a new RPG now that I'm trying to finish NWN2 for the nth time.

Defcon said:
A guy from the devteam said in that latest gametrailers thing it's 90% rewritten. And yeah, all the rendering bits.

disappeared said:
Stupid question, but is there a first-person perspective? I've been playing nothing but Morrowind and Oblivion lately, and I'm hooked on the immersion that said perspective provides.
Nope, only the close over the shoulder view.

Bossman

They just released a 100 meg patch

5. Patch 1.1 Major Fixes
======================================================
Gameplay & text bugs fixed:

- Fixed character development issues with some abilities and skills.
- Fixes for some storyline related progression breaks.
- Fixes for druids' day-night cycle in Act 5.
- Fixes for sex scene with nurses in Act 5.
- Signet fixes (some signets were received twice).
- Fixed story incoherency regarding Erkyn in Act 3.
- Experience gain indication localization fixes.
- Mutagen potion - new fixes for showing up a message.
- Fixed items used in eating animations.
- Geralt's allies fixed to always react properly to all mosnters.
- Bounty Hunter is Agent Smith no more (he doesn't replicate). Mr. Geralt, we missed you...
- Echinopses and Archespores now use their own spikes instead of arrows.
- Fixes for alchemical ingredients extracted from some monsters.
- Raven Crypt - few fixes for geometry and placeables.
- Fixed few places where player was supposed to meditate, but couldn't.
- Fixed story incoherence in Berengar quest.
- Soldier practicing on training dummy won't penetrate... it.
- Berengar won't disappear on sight when sparing him.
- A whole lot of localization fixes (some of them won't work with old savegames!).

Code bugs fixed:

- Fixed all diagnosed stability issues and crashes.
- Fixed few gameplay issues with WSAD and mousedrive controls.
- Alt-Tab related issues fixed (random crashes, hang-ups, cursor blocking).
- Cat potion estimated time display - fixed.
- Dropping items from the inventory fixes for better spread.
- Weapon visual FXes fixed during dialogues.
- Confirmation box shown when player uses Quick Load.
- Tooltip fixes for lower resolutions (for example 800x600).
- All read books now have the appropriate note in description.
- Sitting animation fixes for few characters that sat beside the chair.
- Alt-Tab fixes for dialogue lines and gameplay options.
- Savegame option blocked around Aard throwing time.
- Audio: rat squealing sound fixes for minimized mode.
- Movies and cutscenes fixes for Alt-Tabbing.
- AI: fixed NPCs chasing enemies that were no more.
- AI: few poker fixes.
- Fixed problems with items appearing back in storages.
- Fixed blizzard problems with cutscenes and dialogues.
- Fixed toxicity effect for Alt-Tabbing.
- Finishers fixes - animation sometimes did not play.
- When taking out an unknown item of the storage, the user can no longer see the name of the potion. Good one...
- Fixed saving in tight places (player got teleported after load... sometimes).

Art & sound bugs fixed:

- Vizim's Temple Quarter: ~30 physics fixes; corrected barrels; ~10 decoration fixes.
- Kaer Morhen: Wild animals fixes.
- Sewers: commoners sleeping fxes; ~5 item properties fixes; ~10 skeleton placement fixes.
- Vizim's Temple Quarter/Burning Vizim:The banner on the tower is no longer black.
- Old Manor: Koschey boss movement fixes.
- Mutants fixes for decapitation. That means no decapitation now.
- Werewolf physics fixes.
- Chainmail stand placeable now has collision surface (player/npc can't pass through it).
- Celina brightness fixes for interiors.
- Order knights lighting fixes.
- Bread item fixes for eating animation.
- More detailed model of Horse+Wagon for opening cutscenes.
- Journal entry for crypts fixed now.
- A child in epilogue cutscene doesn't look like badly sewn young Frankenstein.
- Old lady and dwarves - idle animation fixes.

Galdor

I got it today. It's pretty good so far. The combatsystem is a little different - very tactical and slow. Everything depends on timing your blow. You have to get used to it, but after a while it plays great.

The whole story and atmosphere also feels great. Only the load times are long. The screen turns black for a couple of seconds when it loads a cutscene. Also the quicksave function takes too long in my opinion. But so far it's a great game.

Bossman said:
They just released a 100 meg patch

5. Patch 1.1 Major Fixes
======================================================
Gameplay & text bugs fixed:

- Fixed character development issues with some abilities and skills.
- Fixes for some storyline related progression breaks.
- Fixes for druids' day-night cycle in Act 5.
- Fixes for sex scene with nurses in Act 5.
- Signet fixes (some signets were received twice).
- Fixed story incoherency regarding Erkyn in Act 3.
- Experience gain indication localization fixes.
- Mutagen potion - new fixes for showing up a message.
- Fixed items used in eating animations.
- Geralt's allies fixed to always react properly to all mosnters.
- Bounty Hunter is Agent Smith no more (he doesn't replicate). Mr. Geralt, we missed you...
- Echinopses and Archespores now use their own spikes instead of arrows.
- Fixes for alchemical ingredients extracted from some monsters.
- Raven Crypt - few fixes for geometry and placeables.
- Fixed few places where player was supposed to meditate, but couldn't.
- Fixed story incoherence in Berengar quest.
- Soldier practicing on training dummy won't penetrate... it.
- Berengar won't disappear on sight when sparing him.
- A whole lot of localization fixes (some of them won't work with old savegames!).

"Tighten up the sex scene in act 5"

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just got home with my special edition, compared to certain other special editions it's pretty nice and the artbook is an actual book and not some pamphlet, even has a section right in the middle called Erotica :D Installing now, so I'll post some pics of the set and in-game later.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My import copy got here yesterday. It seems like it's going to be really fun... however-

Performance is pretty poor when combat is occurring. I tried lowering details, lowering the resolution, nothing helped. It's not unplayable by any means, it's just kind of lame that the game runs smooth as hell but as soon as there's combat the framerate takes a dive.

Ikuu

Just got done with the Intro/Tutorial section of the game and really enjoying it so far, took a few screens with all the details maxed:

thewitcher02.jpg

thewitcher03.jpg

thewitcher01.jpg

thewitcher04.jpg

I'll try and grab some better combat shots later on.

Edit: Just looked around and found this http://boutique.gamesplanet.com/campagne/promo.html?partenaire=15&jeu=TheWitcher&affilie=AtariUK not sure if it works outside of Europe, or how good the site is. But might be an idea for people in NA wanting an uncensored version. It's also going to be avaliable as a download from the Atari store on the 30th http://www.atari.com/us/games/witcher/dvd_rom

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thank you for placing your recent order with GoGamer.com.

We regret to inform you that the delivery date for part of your order has been delayed due to a change in the delivery date estimated by the supplier.

Below is information on the item(s) that has been delayed

-----------------------------------------
Product Line 1: The Witcher (I)

QTY Ordered: 1
QTY Unshipped: 1
NEW ETA: 11-02-2007

Oh well, not done with mask of the betrayer yet anyhow.

Pakman

EviLore said:
Thank you for placing your recent order with GoGamer.com.

We regret to inform you that the delivery date for part of your order has been delayed due to a change in the delivery date estimated by the supplier.

Below is information on the item(s) that has been delayed

-----------------------------------------
Product Line 1: The Witcher (I)

QTY Ordered: 1
QTY Unshipped: 1
NEW ETA: 11-02-2007

Oh well, not done with mask of the betrayer yet anyhow.

Well damn it.

Ikuu

Played some more, sometimes I really wonder what goes through a designers head when they let stuff like this happen:

1) Certain characters will say the same dialogue, even after you help them with a quest/bang them, you go back and act like they've never met you. Could be a bug, if not it's a little annoying.
2) It doesn't autosave/let you save, before certain boss encounters so you end up watching the same cut-scene/dialogue choice several times, which is very annoying. Hope they change this in a patch.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
So I've played this a little, and I'm very, very impressed. So far, The Witcher is one of the best RPGs of the year.

Some good points:

* it's highly polished, with coherent writing and good voice acting. The bugginess has also been very low for me. For a relatively open Eastern European game, this is a big achievement.

* the setting and story background are excellent. Basing the game off of a quality book series rather than making everything from scratch has paid off.

* the combat is far better than most real-time RPG systems out there. It's fairly involving with some decent tactical thinking required and lots of interesting abilities to use.

* the graphics and music are awesome.

I'll have to play more to be sure, but the Baldur's Gate 2 influence on this game is quite clear.

Fragamemnon said:
Minimum requirements:

Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800

1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista

128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)

DVD-Rom

Recommended requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz or AMD X2 5600+

2 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or ATI Radeon X1950 PRO

DVD-Rom

-----

Keep in mind that while the core gameplay engine is a heavily modified NWN1 engine, CDProjekt rewrote the renderer completely.

Why the fuck Atari won't sell a digital download uncut version of the game on their website is beyond me, though.

Vista, AMD 5000, 2GB RAM, and a Nvidia 6150. I'm just shy of meeting those specs.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
bigmit3737 said:
How are the quests? Are they interesting? More than just your average fetch or kill this guy?

A lot of the quests do boil down to that, but they're all executed in a way that makes them feel fresh and interesting. There's very little mindless repetition in the game so far.

This game is awesome so far, great visuals that are a combo of a tweaked out engine and some kick ass art direction, the combat/gameplay is badass (I'm playing in Over the Shoulder mode) The story, world and characters are really well fleshed out and some of the voice acting & writing is of really standout quality. But mostly I love the art direction, it really sells the world and engrosses you in the cosmology, which is usually my biggest hang up with "Western" rpgs.

So if you like RPGs, get this without hesitating.

Defcon

Banned
Pretty cool so far, but it runs like shit on my computer that barely meets the minimum requirements. The graphics aren't all that hot either, so I don't understand. Even more surprising is I get the same performance, be it on low or high settings.

Ikuu

What I've been told anyway, kinda funny when you can decapitate someone and watch their head roll across the ground.

Dolphin

Banned
Oh god, I was looking forward to this but judging from all the latest movies the acting, story and dialog is like a terrible B movie. And cutscenes that pull you from the action...ugh. How's the gameplay?

Chairman Yang said:
So I've played this a little, and I'm very, very impressed. So far, The Witcher is one of the best RPGs of the year.

Some good points:

* it's highly polished, with coherent writing and good voice acting. The bugginess has also been very low for me. For a relatively open Eastern European game, this is a big achievement.

* the setting and story background are excellent. Basing the game off of a quality book series rather than making everything from scratch has paid off.

* the combat is far better than most real-time RPG systems out there. It's fairly involving with some decent tactical thinking required and lots of interesting abilities to use.

* the graphics and music are awesome.

I'll have to play more to be sure, but the Baldur's Gate 2 influence on this game is quite clear.
Sounds good. I'm going to get it eventually I believe; I like what I've read about it the last couple weeks.

Raytow

I need to add that Geralt is a m'fucking badass, how I missed those kind of characters in my rpg's *tears of joy*

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Despite getting the delayed shipment notification from gogamer, it's arriving for me today.

Pakman

EviLore said:
Despite getting the delayed shipment notification from gogamer, it's arriving for me today.

Yea I got the email saying they shipped it on the 29th. But I did the damn 3-5 day USPS shipping so I probably won't get it for another couple days. Sucks but looks like it will be worth the wait.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just downloaded the International version last night (apparently not worth the extra few bucks, but oh well). Can't wait to load it up.

Top Bottom