• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher |OT| Damn all dissonances

So according to a Gamefaqs poster The Witcher script was decently translated and then butchered most likely to save money. Here's an example

The chatt with the Dwarf blacksmith, for example, in English version looks like this:

Geralt: Why do locals persecute nonhumans?

Dwarf: Humans have always hated dwarfs and elves.

While in Polish(it’s mine translation, so be charitable:p):

Geralt: Why do humans persecute nonhumans?

Dwarf: And why do prick goes into **** That is the Natural Order of the Universe. Humans have always clashed with dwarfs and elves and it’s not up to me to decide, whose fault is it.

Which would explain this http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/126185.html

Prime crotch said:
I think I'm holding my buy till this is cleared up or even somekind of english subtitles mod for the polish version comes out.
You're missing out.

A lot of the writing and voice acting is actually really good.

syllogism

It definitely does not feel "butchered" at all. The overall tone seems closer to the polish version quote than that "english version".

Mamesj

Banned
while the polish line (taking your own corrected version into account) sounds better, that sounds more censored than "butchered"

Mamesj said:
while the polish line (taking your own corrected version into account) sounds better, that sounds more censored than "butchered"
I'm playing the UK version and there's a ton of lines that carry exactly the same kind of tone and language throughout the game.

One particular character who is awesomely written and performed is Thaler the fence.

Mamesj

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
I'm playing the UK version and there's a ton of lines that carry exactly the same kind of tone and language throughout the game.

One particular character who is awesomely written and performed is Thaler the fence.

Good to hear :D I'm picking this up today or tomorrow (if my EB gets more copies in stock, argh)

BeeDog

MickeyKnox said:

"Abso-fuckin'-lutely!"

Joe Molotov

So is this game in any way comparable to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? It kinda sounds like maybe it is, and if so I will buy it yesterday.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Vista, AMD 5000, 2GB RAM, and a Nvidia 6150. I'm just shy of meeting those specs.

you're a LOT shy of meeting those specs. the 6150 is an integrated video chipset, and is roughly performance-equivalent to a GeForce 4400 (albeit with nominal shader 3.0 support).

Cryect

Joe Molotov said:
So is this game in any way comparable to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? It kinda sounds like maybe it is, and if so I will buy it yesterday.

Hmmm, the actual gameplay is a ton better. The voice acting is so so and the story seems interesting though the translation has seemed to make it really awkward. Whats weird about the voice acting is how voice and tone can completely change for characters several times during the same conversation.

ok I got the (I) version from gogamer.com yet im not seeing any decapatations during the finishing moves during fights and the *slight beginging game spoiler*
sex card with triss has A blanket and cat :lol in the way

I used the 1.1 patch, is there a euro version I shoulda downloaded instead?

the box I have has a RED 18 circle in the lower left corner, and made in europe on the back of the box lower right barcode, what gives, I want my decaps and nipples damn it.

Cryect

ZombieSupaStar said:
ok I got the (I) version from gogamer.com yet im not seeing any decapatations during the finishing moves during fights and the *slight beginging game spoiler*
sex card with triss has A blanket and cat :lol in the way

There is decapitations in it just not often. Yeah, that first card is like that don't worry others won't be though if thats what you really want.

Cryect said:
There is decapitations in it just not often. Yeah, that first card is like that don't worry others won't be though if thats what you really want.

well not really but I just kept doing these stun fighting finishers and like...nothing would happen. and im like wheres mah heads roll!?

nice when you register tho, they say they are gonna release a game editor in the registered forum section, and are asking what more in the game the fans want.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Put in 3 hours last night... This game is beyond awesome! It kicks ass on so many levels, it's stunning. Seriously, if anyone is still on the fence on whether to get this or not... BUY IT!

Been playing it for a while and I think the Gamefaqs poster was right. Some of the lines are weird like right at start after we fight Savolla Leo says something I can't recall now and Geralt says "what about the monster upstairs?" and Leo says he couldn't get past the circle which makes no sense since he meant the circle around the boss Geral just fought.

The game looks good too.

witcher4.jpg

witcher3.jpg

witcher2.jpg

witcher1.jpg

Kabouter said:
After trying out Gothic 3 last week, that does look very good. Gothic 3 is ugly as hell :(.
It's a solid engine that is carried much further than one would expect due to really good art direction.

Sullen

Great game so far. My only issue with it is the weird transitions, both in conversations and cutscenes. The kind of *bam* suddenly you are in another area with no transition scene or text at all and something is happening. It is alittle jarring, but that is a minor complaint and the game is rad otherwise.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Sullen said:
Great game so far. My only issue with it is the weird transitions, both in conversations and cutscenes. The kind of *bam* suddenly you are in another area with no transition scene or text at all and something is happening. It is alittle jarring, but that is a minor complaint and the game is rad otherwise.

I find the load times to be far too long, checking out a small house can turn into a 5min quest 4 min 30 secs of that is waiting for the damn thing to load!

I was getting quite into the game, and was at the beginning of the first village, listening to some npc spout cheese, when my girlfriend came in and said "wow this game is cheesy and shit".

:(

Im not actually too bothered by the dialogue, but the main problems are, load times, and being dropped into a random village with no transistion, just POP! and you appear

I don't think it's my specs that effect load times, all settings are set to medium and my specs are:

Athlon 3700 san diego
7800GTX
1GB of DDR 400
500GB 7200RPM HD

overall im not feeling this game.

I'm enjoying it more now after you get out of the initial area, the combat is acutally quite nice even if simple graphics are nice although the character's animation is a bit stiff specially during dialog sequences.
There are some weird lines here and there though.

hiryu

I've never heard of this game but this thread has convinced me to buy it and download it tonight. This month is destroying my wallet.

dogmaan said:
I find the load times to be far too long, checking out a small house can turn into a 5min quest 4 min 30 secs of that is waiting for the damn thing to load!

I was getting quite into the game, and was at the beginning of the first village, listening to some npc spout cheese, when my girlfriend came in and said "wow this game is cheesy and shit".

:(

Im not actually too bothered by the dialogue, but the main problems are, load times, and being dropped into a random village with no transistion, just POP! and you appear

I don't think it's my specs that effect load times, all settings are set to medium and my specs are:

Athlon 3700 san diego
7800GTX
1GB of DDR 400
500GB 7200RPM HD

overall im not feeling this game.
There's your problem right there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've got 2.5 gigs of RAM in my box, and my load times are still ridiculous. 40 seconds each time I re-enter the outskirts region.

Lowering the texture detail from high to medium brought that down to 4 seconds, although it does make the game look noticeably worse. It's worth the trade off, IMO.

Kuran

Banned
I've tried the Witcher for a bit yesterday.

It has a lot of potential, but a lot of small things are missing and/or very crude. For example the animation system needs a lot of work. When I stand still and start running the character will be rollerskating for two seconds. (When using the OTS camera)

This is very glaring and it bothers me that they decided to ship the game like this, considering its development time.

The voice acting was decent to great, but the lip-syncing and facial animations on some of the minor characters was substandard.

Also, the developers have never seen breasts.

I think I'll just wait (and hope) that a few patches down the road, these things will be ironed out... I'd really like this game to run just a little bit smoother. (The cutscenes were really choppy on my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz)

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
MickeyKnox said:
There's your problem right there.

I kill a load of tasks before I run any games, also my CPU is OC'ed from 2.2GHZ to 2.6GHZ, the side effect of this is that my memory is running at about 470mhz as well.

the game itself runs smooth, generally if you run out of memory you get big frame drops during gameplay as the game has to use Virtual memory, evrything is on medium settings as well.

Prime crotch said:
So according to a Gamefaqs poster The Witcher script was decently translated and then butchered most likely to save money. Here's an example. [...]
A pity of any extent, but you can only fault the developer for it (if one sees it as a matter for fault, at least). I see the value in placing your native tongue first, but you have to weigh that against the language which would garner the most appreciation for your writing and game. I have no problem if they choose the former; I just hope they value it more than the latter else it was a mistake.

Woo-Fu

Banned
dogmaan said:
I kill a load of tasks before I run any games, also my CPU is OC'ed from 2.2GHZ to 2.6GHZ, the side effect of this is that my memory is running at about 470mhz as well.

the game itself runs smooth, generally if you run out of memory you get big frame drops during gameplay as the game has to use Virtual memory, evrything is on medium settings as well.

The problem is how it handles transitions. 1gig is fine while playing the game, it isn't fine when it is loading a new region and doing an autosave. You end up reading/writing to swap at the same time you're trying to read in new level data and/or write out savegame data. If all three of those are on the same disk you're screwed.

So while it may seem to play just fine on 1gig of ram, 1 gig of ram is still the cause of very long loadtimes. Even with more ram the loadtimes are still somewhat excessive. One other thing is anybody playing with 1 gig of ram needs to make sure that the game and their windows swapfile aren't on the same spindle.

Fragmentation seems to have a big effect too, make sure you defrag the disk the game is installed on.

Kuran said:
I've tried the Witcher for a bit yesterday.

It has a lot of potential, but a lot of small things are missing and/or very crude. For example the animation system needs a lot of work. When I stand still and start running the character will be rollerskating for two seconds. (When using the OTS camera)

This is very glaring and it bothers me that they decided to ship the game like this, considering its development time.

The voice acting was decent to great, but the lip-syncing and facial animations on some of the minor characters was substandard.

Also, the developers have never seen breasts.

I think I'll just wait (and hope) that a few patches down the road, these things will be ironed out... I'd really like this game to run just a little bit smoother. (The cutscenes were really choppy on my Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz)

I'm running the witcher just fine on my 2.0 ghz intel core duo 1 macbook pro with 1 gb of ram and a radeon 1600 series graphic card. Granted I had to switch to medium and 1024X768 res but it plays awesome and the graphics still aren't bad.

uninstalled it.

combat is so fucking clunky and awful ruins whatever points the story and world would have achieved.

shoulda just lit the 50 dollar bill on fire...

Woo-Fu

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
uninstalled it.

combat is so fucking clunky and awful ruins whatever points the story and world would have achieved.

I felt the same way after the first bit of fighting in the introduction. Stuck with it and it is ok now. It is still just "click" "click" "click", but it at least starts to look more interesting as you get more moves.

Bossman

ZombieSupaStar said:
uninstalled it.

Let me guess, you used the OTS camera. These point & click games are meant to be played from the top down perspective. The combat works wonderfully when you use that. They should have removed the other camera options because the game wasn't meant to be played from third person.

Bossman said:
Let me guess, you used the OTS camera. These point & click games are meant to be played from the top down perspective. The combat works wonderfully when you use that. They should have removed the other camera options because the game wasn't meant to be played from third person.
OTS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Isometric.

The combat is weird at first, but once you understand what it's doing it's great, especially as you unlock more moves in the different combos + stances + signs.

Mamesj

Banned
I like isometric for simple action RPGs with few moves, like Titan Quest or Diablo. maybe hellgate could've benefited from isometric too.

the witcher seems to have more in-depth combat though...

Takuan

I'm on the fence. The game doesn't appear to have phat lewts. I need phat lewts. I saw a screen on IGN that showed only the chestpiece, rings, and weapons as equippable itam. I want pants and helmets and gloves and stuff, too!

syllogism

Having already beaten the game I can't really test this, but apparently changing "Language=FinalEnglish_Short" to "Language=FinalEnglish_Long" in the .ini will restore some of the cut dialogue. Obviously this is for subtitles only though.

edit: no, there's no phat loot at all sadly. No magical rings and only three pieces of armor.

Zabojnik

Is there a way to change the difficulty later on in the game? Please tell me there is. :(

I usually go with hard, but this time, I don't know why, I went with the normal difficulty and at the start of chapter 3 I'm really, really starting to regret it. The combat is just so damn easy - to the point that I didn't even get into potions, oils and bombs. Like, at all. No need to, I only get killed if I rush into a combat situation half dead already.

Also, someone please answer this:
- how hard is the game on hard, compared to normal?
- should I even look into new weapons? The default swords (with whatever upgrades) seem deadly enough.
- does the game feature a quick transportation method later on?
- the inventory is quite a mess. Are there bags to separate ingredients from other stuff?

well I gave it more time and its getting better, my problem early on was that the first set and 2nd set of attacks (click...click) looks very similar so I kept thinking that I was missing the timing ie it was 1 click then fire sword, but it was click click then fire sword once I foreheadpalmed that one combat got alot easier.

still i would have rather perferred a diablo 2 combat/loot system with these graphics/world/story woulda been perfect imo.

Vaporak

I got the game yesterday and played it for a bit (just got out of the prolog playing on hard) and so far I really like the game. We need more good wRPG releases. :D

Anybody who wants a new WRPG fix for a few dozen hours, stop by and see The Witcher.

Seriously, this game game should have it's own official thread on the front page of the forum every day.

Top Bottom