• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more hardware NPD data for the public

pswii60

Beginning with the October sales data, which is due later this month, NPD is going to cut way back on what they share on a monthly basis with their non-paying customers, i.e. media.

What does this mean?

For starters, no more hardware sales data. (Can you taste the bitter tears streaming from various forums and message boards?) Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will of course be free to release their own sales info—and presumably leak that of their competitors, if it'll make them look good—but we will no longer receive that data from NPD. Software sales figures will only be given for the Top Five SKUs, not the Top Ten as we normally receive. We'll eventually receive hardware numbers and Top Ten software numbers, but only on a quarterly and annual basis. There are signs that this may only be a temporary pullback, but for now, this is were things stand.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/leve...y-morning-quarterback-for-september-2007.aspx

Oh shit.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Sonycowbooooooooooyyyyyyyy...

Geeeoooooofffff.....

N'gaaaaaiiiiiiiiiii...

Noooooooooooooooooo...

Just close down GAF. It's all over.

shuri

Banned
The gaming forum might become readable again. Let's celebrate

Image_299AA_Man_Dancing.jpg

Oh man... that really, really sucks. For the longest time we wanted something like what NPD do from Europe and instead we get something like Europe from NPD.

=(

Oh, and this wont stop people talking about the sales figures... it just means people will start using the numbers from ******** because we have nothing to prove them wrong with.

pilonv1

oo Kosma oo said:
Maybe it will be for the better though. Less bitching more talking about games.

You mean less bitching about real sales numbers and more bitching about fake and made up numbers. Game talk will still be at the minimal levels it is now.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Sell your GAF it's all over?

I don't care about the sales but the comedy eruption from sales threads will be sorely missed. :(

Kosma

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Im still hoping it's all false. We haven't gotten our fun yet.

Oh yeah shit!

pilonv1 said:
You mean less bitching about real sales numbers and more bitching about fake and made up numbers. Game talk will still be at the minimal levels it is now.

Maybe you're right. Banned sites could become "the source" now.

pilonv1

titiklabingapat said:
This hopefully means we can post leaked stuff again since they broke thier agreement with GAF.

:lol :lol The agreement where they give out their data, that they sell to clients, for FREE?

dr3upmushroom said:
What was the deal with that? Also how expensive is the NPD info?
GAF stops posting all their data, NPD treats GAF as a "special" case and gives us hardware info and the top 20 software. Or something to that effect.

pilonv1 said:
:lol :lol The agreement where they give out their data, that they sell to clients, for FREE?

No, to give us minimal data. The real stuff(such as demographics, trends, etc) are what they sell and is ultimately their cashcow. Hardware data is hardly the real story.

Haunted

For starters, no more hardware sales data. (Can you taste the bitter tears streaming from various forums and message boards?) Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will of course be free to release their own sales info—and presumably leak that of their competitors, if it'll make them look good—but we will no longer receive that data from NPD.
Nintendo PR becoming the only source of all NPD numbers confirmed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sux that it comes now. I wanted to see how the 40GB PS3 did and how the console sales in general is this holiday season :\ Ah well.. i'm sure we'll get some numbers from someone else (or atleast i hope).

EDIT: Ah, i see they will release it every quarter instead. Not too much of a problem then :)

test_account said:
Sux that it comes now. I wanted to see how the 40GB PS3 did and how the console sales in general is this holiday season :\ Ah well.. i'm sure we'll get some numbers from someone else (or atleast i hope).
Or at least, allow discussion of leaked figures(by other websites).

Timbuktu

Borys said:
AWESOME

More talk about games, less about games sales.

More endless speculation that goes unchecked by real sales data and even more bitching around quarterly financial results.

test_account

XP-39C²
titiklabingapat said:
Or at least, allow discussion of leaked figures(by other websites).

Ye, probly. But i saw after i posted that the hardware numbers will still be posted, but every quarter instead. Works out ok then :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dear NPD:

Music: Top 100 albums in Canada, Top 100 songs in the US, Top 200 albums in the US

Movies: Full boxoffice chart, $ value included, Top rental chart, weekly, $ value included, Top DVD sales

Books: We get bare minimum top 10 unit sales numbers (no rounding) every week, although there are no reliable archives.

Internet: Alexa; Most Popular Sites, Largest message boards online

TV: Daily numbers; several sets, actually. We get fast nationals, real nationals, +7 numbers that take TiVo into account.

Video games: Media Create, Famitsu are both available freely every week. Famitsu publishes half-year and year-end top 500s. No unit rounding.

Justify yourselves.

nightside

fuck no:(

Stumpokapow said:
Dear NPD:

Music: Top 100 albums in Canada, Top 100 songs in the US, Top 200 albums in the US

Movies: Full boxoffice chart, $ value included, Top rental chart, weekly, $ value included, Top DVD sales

Books: We get bare minimum top 10 unit sales numbers (no rounding) every week, although there are no reliable archives.

Internet: Alexa; Most Popular Sites, Largest message boards online

TV: Daily numbers; several sets, actually. We get fast nationals, real nationals, +7 numbers that take TiVo into account.

Video games: Media Create, Famitsu are both available freely every week. Famitsu publishes half-year and year-end top 500s. No unit rounding.

Justify yourselves.

$$$

Top Bottom