• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more hardware NPD data for the public

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kottila said:
I'm sure that the subscription says something about publication of the data

Hmm. Wouldn't that prevent companies from publishing numbers in press releases then? Would we just get shipping numbers?

If publication is allowed, surely some rich media outlet would subscribe and print the numbers every month? Then couldn't we just post that here?

llTll

Banned
Fredescu said:

neilmario.png

llTll

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Yeah, even if we could afford it, we couldn't post it.

We've seriously been fucked by the NPD group here.

lets fuck them back, we will leak it.

we did fucked them before till they came asking for truce. it seems that they dont learn. we will fuck them again and hard this time --_--

EDIT: on a second note, we can lie a lil so they dont get us in trouble. assuming the real sales are like this

PS3 : 300k
360 : 400k
Wii : 500K

we will make it

PS3 310k
360 410k
Wii 510 k

they cant do anything to us this way --_--

Branduil

Perhaps a better idea would be to try and setup a GAF tracking group for sales. We have some smart people here, so I don't think the statistics parsing would be a problem. Obviously the difficulty would be getting sources to do the tracking from.

Something like a more legitimate version of you-know-what.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Not quite sure what this means in terms of GAF, but it probably applies here too, otherwise other sites would just get the info from here...

kottila

gofreak said:
Hmm. Wouldn't that prevent companies from publishing numbers in press releases then? Would we just get shipping numbers?

Aren't the companies just publishing their own numbers? I'm sure they have an agreement about that.

CassSept

Wow. End of an era.
*cries*
No more sales-age? No more :loling at PS3 sales? No more NPD gifs? No more monthly predictions?
:(
Do Not Want ._.'

Kosma

Banned
-Fake account posts NPD numbers
-Mods ban him and lock thread.
-Everybody still sees the numbers.
-NPD has no ground to sue.

right??

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
oo Kosma oo said:
-Fake account posts NPD numbers
-Mods ban him and lock thread.
-Everybody still sees the numbers.
-NPD has no ground to sue.

right??

I doubt that will happen here. Maybe it'll happen at some smaller forums or something.

xbhaskarx

This is getting out of hand (although the information will probably be leaked).

Time to allow discussion of ******** numbers without the threat of a ban?

Since publishing it on the forums is the real issue, who wants to organize the monthly GAF PM ME NPD thread? We can just create a network and PM each other of leaked numbers since we're only really using it for private purposes which should be okay.

pswii60

xbhaskarx said:

No, because those numbers are bullshit? I assume.

Well, wasn't that site banned because they took the numbers out of their ass?

Pachael

Guys, we can't have everything - even if we tried to 'screw them back', they'll file a cease and desist with NeoGAF (since it's its own entity now). Doesn't do much for anybody, frankly. Just let go, guys.

PS vgchartzz wins

zallaaa

titiklabingapat said:
Since publishing it on the forums is the real issue, who wants to organize the monthly GAF PM ME NPD thread? We can just create a network and PM each other of leaked numbers since we're only really using it for private purposes which should be okay.

name it NEOGAF' Secret NPD-leaked-numbers Mailing List

White Man

Hopefully this means the end of stupid number-based fanboy wars. As someone that cares about games above all else, this is only a good thing.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
xbhaskarx said:

Despite how much this is sucks. That site will always be bullshit and the numbers will still be wrong.

Pachael said:
Guys, we can't have everything - even if we tried to 'screw them back', they'll file a cease and desist with NeoGAF (since it's its own entity now). Doesn't do much for anybody, frankly. Just let go, guys.

PS vgchartzz wins
Not if it's done through private means like PRIVATE MESSAGES!

llTll

Banned
titiklabingapat said:

then all this group will get a very nice long ban.... i will pass

please PM me when the mods are not looking ;(

white man, sp0rsk look up, there is a tank flying .
guys pm me how to get them now now now

White Man said:
Hopefully this means the end of stupid number-based fanboy wars. As someone that cares about games above all else, this is only a good thing.
You have too much faith. If anything, it'll get worse. Not having numbers at all gives the fanboys more room to pull things out of their ass. You can't argue facts, but bullshit...?

White Man

Souldriver said:
You have too much faith. If anything, it'll get worse. Not having numbers at all gives the fanboys more room to pull things out of their ass. You can't argue facts, but bullshit...?

Yes, but I'd easily see talking out of the ass very vocally as a banworthy offense. There is nothing dumber than making shit up, and I am of the school that documentable stupidity is maybe the worst bannable offense of all.

White Man said:
You know, there's a reason why Spwolf only really post in the PAL sales thread nowadays.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
White Man said:

I agree, it'll only make sweeping generalizations last longer.

"MP3 pwned Bioshock man fuck your 360 SELL IT GET OUT NOW" can now last for 3 months.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
We'll still get quarterly numbers so we'll still have facts.

Sales-age will just happen 4 times a year now instead of 12, I guess.

pswii60

Souldriver said:

Exactly. Just read the PAL Charts threads for an example.

llTll said:
then all this group will get a very nice long ban.... i will pass

please PM me when the mods are not looking ;(

white man, sp0rsk look up, there is a tank flying .
guys pm me how to get them now now now
I still haven't gotten his PM >.>

White Man said:
Yes, but I'd easily see talking out of the ass very vocally as a banworthy offense. There is nothing dumber than making shit up, and I am of the school that documentable stupidity is maybe the worst bannable offense of all.
Well, good luck with that. Some of the members are masters in using "reliable numbers going by the latest sales numbers multiplied by month x, taking that press release into account and the amount of stock on amazon.com divided by the attach ratio from....". You'd have to follow the discussions closely to see wether or not they're making numbers up.

White Man

Souldriver said:
Well, good luck with that. Some of the members are masters in using "reliable numbers going by the latest sales numbers multiplied by month x, taking that press release into account and the amount of stock on amazon.com divided by the attach ratio from....". You'd have to follow the discussions closely to see wether or not they're making numbers up.

Oh, there will be a learning period and I shall have to learn a new sort of finesse, but I don't think it will be very difficult to accurately discover the repeat offenders are after a month or two. I mean, I give everyone a shadow of a doubt, but once they show any pattern I will set phasers to spank.

I encourage any posters that have suspicions to loop me in and point me to discussions via PM. I can't speak for the other mods, since I may end up getting lots and lots of baseless PMs, but I am willing to take the bullet if it means making GAF Gaming readable for the first time in fucking years. Sales numers made--make--this half of the forum basically unreadable for those of us that care about games.

Top Bottom