• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umihara Kawase (PSP): New Official Site + Screens

Matix

Umihara Kawase (PSP): New Official Site + Screens
http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/psp/umihara/
http://www.dengekionline.com/data/news/2007/12/14/c4c70b583d735c94f89484d854a06122.html

21727_n20071214_18_kawase_01.jpg

21727_n20071214_18_kawase_04.jpg

21727_n20071214_18_kawase_03.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
looks like a port of the ps1 game? though i don't remember the platforms having that much perspective

duckroll

Looks nice and clean. A lot of people have been mentioning that it looks like a port of Shun, but yet the articles keep saying it's a new game. I wonder what's up.

Steroyd

Viva la 2D. \o/

Wikipedia said:
Umihara Kawase (海腹川背, Umihara Kawase?) is a series of platform games, starring a nineteen year old Japanese school girl

So that's a no to Europe then.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They're doing the static background again?! What would it take to add a few layers of parallax scrolling? I hate having a static, non-moving background (regardless of their reasoning for it).

Matix

Grimmy said:
Hooray!!!
Hope they don't mess with anything...

dark10x said:
They're doing the static background again?! What would it take to add a few layers of parallax scrolling? I hate having a static, non-moving background (regardless of their reasoning for it).

Hmm, how do you please both sides?!

duckroll

One big difference, if the screens are accurate, is the perspective. It looks like they fucked around with it for the worse. In the PS1 version, although it was all 3D, the camera was auto-fixed to be LEVEL with the player character. In these shots the camera is always angled downwards. Really odd.

RuGalz

Rad, although it looks like a port of PS1 version based on the levels in these pics. :-/ Still rad but a new installment would have been nicer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I gotta be honest... it doesn't look so hot to me. I don't like the new perspective and most of the other graphics haven't been improved. dark10x is right too, it wouldn't kill them to spice up the backgrounds a bit.

BUT Day one, anyway. UK is too much fucking fun to miss. It's the ultimate ninja-rope video game series (yes, I know it's a fishing pole)

Nah, I'm not buying a second PSP just so I can play Umihara Kawase Shun without destroying my thumb. I already sent my PSP to that guy who does the d-pad mod and while it made it easier to do diagonals at first, a few months ago I noticed that it had become impossible to do diagonals again, what a waste of money that was.

duckroll said:
One big difference, if the screens are accurate, is the perspective. It looks like they fucked around with it for the worse. In the PS1 version, although it was all 3D, the camera was auto-fixed to be LEVEL with the player character. In these shots the camera is always angled downwards. Really odd.

yeah, that kind of threw me off a bit.

I guess they are doing it so you can tell what is suitable to walk on or something like that.

and for those who played the SNES version, how did the shoulder buttons work in that? im used to the PS1 version.

meppi

After WipEout Pulse came out, I didn't think I would be looking forward to any PSP games in the near future, but holy fucking crap, I never thought we would get a new Umihara game...

The only part I'm worried about is that it's a semi-looking port.
Hopefully we'll get at least a couple dozen new levels...

Mr_Furious said:
Wait. So this is nothing more than a port of the PS1 game? Fuck :(
Maybe. The Famitsu article mentioned additional levels and new features. Here's hoping for a SFC+PSX+new levels compliation-plus. And replay sharing would be nice (as replay-saving is standard for the series).

DeBurgo

dark10x said:
Actually what'd be cooler than parallax scrolling would be if they put moving videos in the background like they sometimes do in Lumines. It'd really contribute to the bizarre look of the game.

The only problem is that you'd have to make the sprites a lot higher contrast to the background than they are right now.

Rahk

Oh my. I played the SNES game a while back, but didn't know there was a PS1 game. How does it compare to the SNES game? More of the same?

ethelred

I was never familiar with the SNES or PSX games from which this descends, so I can't really negatively compare it like some people are... and to my mind, it looks super. Yay 2D platformers.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This game popped up on the U.S. PSP release RSS.

Not much on the page. Check it out here.

Some sort of Sony flub or perhaps a PSN release? Seems unlikely to me, but thought I'd see what people thought.

Firestorm

jvm said:
This game popped up on the U.S. PSP release RSS.

Not much on the page. Check it out here.

Some sort of Sony flub or perhaps a PSN release? Seems unlikely to me, but thought I'd see what people thought.
Why not create a new thread for this instead of bumping one from 2007?

jvm

Gamasutra.
DMPrince said:
but it said release date. 3/2009 ;o
Yeah, but Sony's been pretty reliable about putting all releases -- even obscure ones -- up on their RSS feed. So the fact that this got pushed out via the RSS feed is suggestive that something's happening.

Top Bottom