• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis = OMG! :O

Just sawing it running with my own two eyes.

Man, will console games ever look this good?

Uncharted looks like a bunch of artificial plants compared to this. I would love to see a SOCOM game with this kind of environmental depth, where you could really hide in foliage and camouflage yourself.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Take Out Bandit said:

Uncharted looks like a bunch of artificial plants compared to this. I would love to see a SOCOM game with this kind of environmental depth, where you could really hide in foliage and camouflage yourself.

Thoughts?

They'll probably look quite a bit better.... next generation. It certainly is an amazing looking game. It's fun too! Using the super-strength ability to punch down houses and throw enemies high into the air never gets old.

I still haven't had a chance to see the game in action using DX10, but it still looks amazing on HIGH settings.

The Chef

Uncharted looks like a bunch of artificial plants compared to this.
I would love to see a SOCOM game with this kind of environmental depth, where you could really hide in foliage and camouflage yourself.

Thoughts?

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

According to Valve, 75% of the 750,000+ Steam users can't even run Crysis. Something like 7% of those 750,000+ users even have DX10 installed.

So... you know... there's that...

bluheim

Banned
Uncharted looks like a bunch of artificial plants compared to this.
Thoughts?

Yes, and Okami looks like painting compared to Crysis.

Oh wait.

Have you ever heard about design choices ?

1-D_FTW

DeceitDecide said:
According to Valve, 75% of the 750,000+ Steam users can't even run Crysis. Something like 7% of those 750,000+ users even have DX10 installed.

Awesome stats. Where can I get more?

DeceitDecide said:

That's a shame, but holy crappo! If you can do it, run headlong into it.

I have beheld the glory of Crysis.

Plastic plant forests = design choice, got it.

DeceitDecide said:

That isn't a new thing. The transition period from 486(DX2) computers to Pentium and DOS/Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 was even worse. We all saw the awesome graphics of games such as Strike Commander, Privateer, Ultima 8, Wing Commander 3, and we all dreaded actually trying to alter our autoexec.bat and memory managers to get the games working at all... even at the lowest quality settings :lol

1-D_FTW said:
Awesome stats. Where can I get more?

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

http://www.videogamer.com/features/article/18-12-2007-223.html

"Based on our own judgement of which video cards will run modern PC games acceptably, only 25% of systems in the survey fall into that category. So 75% of systems don't cut it when running the likes of Crysis. With many modern PC titles claiming to have DirectX 10 GPU support under Windows Vista, the fact that only 7.7% of systems can support it is also quite interesting. Is it any wonder then that these GPU melting blockbusters aren't selling well?"

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
bluheim said:

Oh wait.

Wow, that was quick.

antiloop

Thoughts?

Lies.

Uncharted isn't as realistic. But it's just as good looking as Crysis is on my computer screen.
But maybe if I could run it in 1680x1050 on very high I would change my mind.

Kittonwy said:

Get your eyes fixed, or get cable TV and watch Discovery Channel.

I'm not saying Crysis style visuals couldn't be done on PS3 / Xbox2; in fact, I could be plain wrong, but I'd like to believe a degree of realism should be attainable. Unfortunately everything thus far looks plastic, overly polished, and generally not realistic.

hot as hell

Hotter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, I doubt it. I have a feeling next generation is going to be a very... conservative one, horsepower-wise.

If the next generation of consoles were to start next month then I would agree. They would all have weak graphical capabilities, have waggle controls and debut at low prices, but this generation is far from over and I still personally think the PS3 will come out on top. Even if it doesn't, I doubt Microsoft and Sony are dumb enough to think that they would see the same level of success as Nintendo if they just copied the Wii's design. I'm sure the next generation of consoles will have at least one system with powerful graphical capabilities.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
bluheim said:

Oh wait.

Uh, aren't they going for kind of realistic enviroments in Uncharted?

Zefah said:
If the next generation of consoles were to start next month then I would agree. They would all have weak graphical capabilities, have waggle controls and debut at low prices, but this generation is far from over and I still personally think the PS3 will come out on top. Even if it doesn't, I doubt Microsoft and Sony are dumb enough to think that they would see the same level of success as Nintendo if they just copied the Wii's design. I'm sure the next generation of consoles will have at least one system with powerful graphical capabilities.
I don't want to veer things off-topic, but I really wouldn't hold my breath for anything more than a very marginal upgrade on like... the PS3 tech for next gen. There won't be a huge jump forward. Lessons have been learned.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't want to veer things off-topic, but I really wouldn't hold my breath for anything more than a very marginal upgrade on like... the PS3 tech for next gen. There won't be a huge jump forward. Lessons have been learned.

I'm inclined to agree, but that's only because IMO developers aren't using these current technologies to their fullest potential. And that's obvious this early in the game; but IMO, from what I'm seeing on shelves - they're not even close to exploiting the full power of these systems.

So yeah, just release a PS3.5 and have at it. It will still be more than powerful enough for pretty visuals, and will still make Gabe cry. :p

Dalauz

DeceitDecide said:

750.000 users accepted the journey

lexi

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Well the PS3 has a 10 year plan so I wouldn't start to worry about next-gen till around 2015.

chespace

f@luS said:
what was quick ? honest and not stupid answer to a troll? i though it was quite long already !

Focus more on the Crysis looking good part and less on the same goddamn tired defense of the same damn game happening in other threads all over this forum.

deepbrown

Get your eyes fixed, or get cable TV and watch Discovery Channel.

I'm not saying Crysis style visuals couldn't be done on PS3 / Xbox2; in fact, I could be plain wrong, but I'd like to believe a degree of realism should be attainable. Unfortunately everything thus far looks plastic, overly polished, and generally not realistic.

Hotter.
You know it's not meant to look realistic don't you.

goomba

Banned
Will be interesting to see if graphic whores go back to PC in a few years.

Wii would only dominate even more then.

chespace said:
Focus more on the Crysis looking good part and less on the same goddamn tired defense of the same damn game happening in other threads all over this forum.
oh, man. lolz.

anyway, crysis is very pretty.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:

You talk as if the PS3 and 360 are failed consoles and are going the way of the Dreamcast. Both are selling just fine and they will continue to sell very well as more blockbuster titles come out.

I doubt we will see another experimental and expensive project like the Cell for a long time, but an Xbox 360-like design that mainly just uses existing computer parts is totally feasible. Considering the next generation of consoles is probably at least 4 years out, I would be extremely surprised if there isn't a similar jump in graphics that we have seen pretty much every generation of consoles (with the exception of the Wii). Do you think Sony and Microsoft are just going to use their existing consoles, throw in a bit more RAM and add waggle capability?

splattergnome said:
That isn't a new thing. The transition period from 486(DX2) computers to Pentium and DOS/Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 was even worse. We all saw the awesome graphics of games such as Strike Commander, Privateer, Ultima 8, Wing Commander 3, and we all dreaded actually trying to alter our autoexec.bat and memory managers to get the games working at all... even at the lowest quality settings :lol

Oh god, I couldn't run Wing Commander 3 for SHIT on my computer back in the day. I bought it and it ran at like 3 FPS. I then bought a 3DO and waited impatiently for the 3DO version to come out, I bought a Flightstick Pro and all was well.

People are too busy thinking inside their respective console manufacturers boxes.

What does "graphic whoring" have to do with improved visuals augmenting your game play experience in titles like SOCOM, Metal Gear, or other realistic style titles?

Frankly I'm sick of game where you can't effectively camouflage yourself in your environment even though you're allegedly a Navy SEAL or some other military badass. Or even a game like Tenchu, imagine a Tenchu game with sickeningly realistic environments. And I'm not just saying this because it's superficially pretty.

You just need to stop crying and see Crysis.

The first time your team mate walks into the undergrowth ahead of you and you lose track of them in the foliage your jaw drops. It's amazing, impressive, and adds a depth to the game that I've not yet seen elsewhere.

Granted Crysis is not perfect. Light doesn't properly reflect off of water from the experimenting I did earlier today in the demo with a river and a flash light; but what the hell - everything else is amazing and a benefit for modern game design.

madmook

The memory leak bug made me stop playing. I am waiting for the patch to continue. Cevat Yerlie (sp?) of Crytek said the first patch would be out 1-2 weeks after release. It is now a full month later, and no further news. What a goddamn shame.

chespace

You can effectively hide in folliage in COD4 multiplayer with a ghilly suit. It's actually pretty cool and I love getting kills like that. You can get a kill like that before you gotta skip town in FFA and TDM, but in the hardcore modes, it's pretty hawt.

itxaka

Defeatist
polyh3dron said:
Oh god, I couldn't run Wing Commander 3 for SHIT on my computer back in the day. I bought it and it ran at like 3 FPS. I then bought a 3DO and waited impatiently for the 3DO version to come out, I bought a Flightstick Pro and all was well.

oh, come on, I bougth Indy desktop Adventures and it won´t even load. It just give the game loading screen even when i leved it for several hours. Just because i had a 4MB of RAM instead of 8.

PC Windows

* Operating System: Windows 3.1 and up.
* Computer: IBM and 100% compatibles.
* CPU: 486/33 or faster.
* Memory: 8MB RAM required.
* Graphics Card: PCI Graphics card required.

chespace said:

f@lus f@cking owned.

With the trouble modern consoles are having with resolutions like 13xx x 720 I highly doubt even next gen will have the horsepower to run Crysis on max. settings. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
What does "graphic whoring" have to do with improved visuals augmenting your game play experience in titles like SOCOM, Metal Gear, or other realistic style titles?

Hey, it doesn't even have to be realistic games for that either.

Even if you go with a different design you can still improve on the graphics in it, wether through animations, light effects or simply even more artsy. Okami looks good and will probably age a shitload better than most game from that same time, but that doesn't mean it was a design choice to not give the wolf more and better looking animations or make the surroundings come alive even more.

Zzoram

Some other Steam stats:

System RAM:

1 Gb to 1.49 Gb 33.02 %
1.5 Gb to 1.99 Gb 5.82 %
2.0 Gb and above 36.99 %

1 cpu 62.14 %
2 cpus 34.81 %
3 cpus 12 0.00 %
4 cpus 3.04 %
8 cpus 50 0.01 %

Video Card Description
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 9.27 %

VRAM

128 MB 21.49 %
256 MB 41.32 %
512 MB 15.78 %
640 MB 2.65 %
768 MB 2.81 %

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
chespace said:
funny-pictures-cat-pwns-dog.jpg

robot

Just watching that 3000 barrel video had me in awe. There was one part where they all exploded and he coudn't even look at the explosion for more than a second without his machine crashing.

I'd love to see some hi-res movies of this game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Thoughts?
The Crysis demo looks and runs like ass on my Geforce 6800. The World in Conflict demo didn't have that problem. Guess which one I bought? Guess which one debuted at the top of the charts and which one didn't even break 100,000?

ItsInMyVeins said:
Hey, it doesn't even have to be realistic games for that either.

Even if you go with a different design you can still improve on the graphics in it, wether through animations, light effects or simply even more artsy. Okami looks good and will probably age a shitload better than most game from that same time, but that doesn't mean it was a design choice to not give the wolf more and better looking animations or make the surroundings come alive even more.

Yeah, but adding more substance to it could possibly interfere with the illusion Capcom was trying to create with that game. Sort of how Celda pretty much defined cell shaded gaming, yeah it was attempted prior to Celda; but nobody really grasped the principles of hand animation that really made it work and effectively pass itself off as traditional style animation; and not just a bunch of janky low quality polygon models with a stupid black outline.

Which is why I'm not buying the Uncharted Defense Force's line of poo-poo. So it's not supposed to be realistic looking? Funny but Drake looks nothing like Super Mario or Sonic. Naughty Dog was clearly aiming for some degree of photorealism with Uncharted; unless folks are implying they were aiming for a Barbie Doll World.

Unfortunately I don't have a PC that can run CoD4, so I haven't messed with it much; and IIRC the PS3 version doesn't support proper aiming, so that's a big "No thank you."

SapientWolf said:
The Crysis demo looks and runs like ass on my Geforce 6800. The World in Conflict demo didn't have that problem. Guess which one I bought? Guess which one debuted at the top of the charts and which one didn't even break 100,000?

The same sad "Sales = Quality" argument. Enjoy your Wii, Adam Sandler movies, and Britney Spears albums Johnny Chartsville.

Top Bottom