• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis = OMG! :O

calder

Until I have a PC that can run Crysis on high at a decent resolution I almost consider it a future product, like an awesome looking unreleased game that is just around the corner. I'm hoping I wear down my wife in January about the new rig, hell she'd get as much enjoyment out of a new PC as I will with her web design/image editing hobbies.

Time to email her some Q6600 and e6850 photoshop benchmarks again.

chespace said:
Focus more on the Crysis looking good part and less on the same goddamn tired defense of the same damn game happening in other threads all over this forum.

How fitting that you would bitch about the defense and happily give a free pass to the equally irrelevant comment that put people on the defensive in the first place. Fucking clown.

ShowDog

SapientWolf said:
The Crysis demo looks and runs like ass on my Geforce 6800. The World in Conflict demo didn't have that problem. Guess which one I bought? Guess which one debuted at the top of the charts and which one didn't even break 100,000?

Good lord, what the fuck do Word in Conflicts sales numbers have to do with Crysis looking good? This guy said the graphics were amazing and he can't wait until more games look like it. You pull out some dumbfuck statistic to prove a shitty point no one is arguing.

People like you make this board insufferable at times.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
AltogetherAndrews said:
How fitting that you would bitch about the defense and happily give a free pass to the equally irrelevant comment that put people on the defensive in the first place. Fucking clown.

The comment gets a free pass because it's basically true, JERK. :lol

Diablohead said:
Give me £2000 and yeah, I can give the game a go.

Sod off, you can build a PC which will run Crysis and look awesome for around £500, you don't need a top end Alienware QUAD-SLI with 4gb of ram to have Crysis looking/running fantastically.

Nostromo said:
Way sooner than you believe
Proof?

It's funny, because of the most of the people on this forum have NEVER seen, nor played, Crysis in real life. Play it on a good machine, then talk. There isn't one game out there that even comes close.

i hate bees said:
Sod off, you can build a PC which will run Crysis and look awesome for around £500, you don't need a top end Alienware QUAD-SLI with 4gb of ram to have Crysis looking/running fantastically.

COMFY COUCH'ed

UncleGuito said:
Proof?

It's funny, because of the most of the people on this forum have NEVER seen, nor played, Crysis in real life. Play it on a good machine, then talk. There isn't one game out there that even comes close.
Well, Nostromo is with Ninja Theory, and if nothing else, you can say Heavenly Sword looks really nice.

I think Che and the Uncharted Defense Force should be given their own subforum so we don't have to have this fucking argument in every single thread.

Crysis looks amazing on Very High, but I don't think it's beyond what the current consoles are capable of. Their memory bottlenecks means that we probably won't have these sorts of visuals in such large levels without really, really aggressive LOD and streaming concessions, however. And it'll take them a while to get there, by which point the new Nvidia cards will be out and the next big showpiece tech-demo game for the PC will be cresting over yonder hill.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, Nostromo is with Ninja Theory, and if nothing else, you can say Heavenly Sword looks really nice.
There are varying levels of "nice". Hell, a BMW looks nice, but it doesn't have shit on a Ferrari.

The amount of detail, both technically and visually, in Crysis is unrivaled as of yet (and will be for months to come, considering what's been announced and shown so far).

calder

i hate bees said:
I need you to make me a computer, since all the ones I'm looking at to do what I want it to be able to do - prebuilt and otherwise- end up costing me about 70% more than that. ;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ShowDog said:
Good lord, what the fuck do Word in Conflicts sales numbers have to do with Crysis looking good? This guy said the graphics were amazing and he can't wait until more games look like it. You pull out some dumbfuck statistic to prove a shitty point no one is arguing.

People like you make this board insufferable at times.
The graphics in World in Conflict scale. They look good on low end, mid range, and enthusiast level hardware. The same applies to Orange Box. The graphics in Crysis, on the other hand, do not scale and look like shit on anything worse than a high end (~8800/Dual Core) computer. I was just pointing out that the PC games that scale better sale better. I also think that games that scale well are better for the PC industry as a whole.

GreekWolf

So, I take it that personal attacks are no longer a key component of TOS?

Because, if that's the case, then let me pull out my list of fucking clowns and jackasses that I need to unload on!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I've played it running on Very High and I also think it's probably within the realm of current-gen consoles, but you'd have to completely re-optimize the engine for console strengths and bottlenecks. A generic statement for the ages.

beerbelly

Banned
PS4 and Xbox720 will probably exceed it by a large margin. When Far Cry came out some people thought that would be the benchmark for next gen consoles too. Meanwhile Wii2 will be almost as good as Xbox1 ;-)

I found the graphics of Crysis on high to be disappointing. The games scope and technical merits are impressive, but I just don't see its graphics being as far and beyond many other great looking games out now.

GreekWolf said:

Because, if that's the case, then let me pull out my list of fucking clowns and jackasses that I need to unload on!
Heh, quite. I remember when calling someone a "jerk" would get you banned.

lexi

Banned
buckfutter said:
I think Che and the Uncharted Defense Force should be given their own subforum so we don't have to have this fucking argument in every single thread.

Crysis looks amazing on Very High, but I don't think it's beyond what the current consoles are capable of. Their memory bottlenecks means that we probably won't have these sorts of visuals in such large levels without really, really aggressive LOD and streaming concessions, however. And it'll take them a while to get there, by which point the new Nvidia cards will be out and the next big showpiece tech-demo game for the PC will be cresting over yonder hill.

I have to disagree. Crysis on Very High is just NOT possible on the PS3 or Xbox 360. It's hardly even possible on the PC right now, the best and most expensive rig anybody can put together averages out at 37fps on Very High, albeit it a very high resolution.

So, to be specific, there is no chance of Crysis running on Very High at 30fps 1080p on the PS3 or 360.

Doc Evils

Segata Sanshiro said:

Actually he left and has gone to a multiplat company.

won't say which.

Dibbz

i hate bees said:
I've played Crysis on computers with an 8800GTX and 8GB RAM, and Crysis still chugs along at very high.

I dunno where you're getting this £500 from.

Nice looking game but no where near worth the cost to play it.

Jenga

Banned
buckfutter said:
Crysis looks amazing on Very High, but I don't think it's beyond what the current consoles are capable of.
Except it is. Consoles won't be able to even approach Crysis levels until next-gen. Unless consoles somehow pull off this "hidden strength" stuff Dragon Ball Z style

"I've played Crysis on computers with an 8800GTX and 8GB RAM, and Crysis still chugs along at very high.

Nice looking game but no where near worth the cost to play it."

I like how you bolded the 8gb of ram part as if PC games have even started pushing past 2GB.

Furthermore, looking great is not exclusive to Very High.

Jenga said:
Except it is. Consoles won't be able to even approach Crysis levels until next-gen. Unless consoles somehow pull off this "hidden strength" stuff Dragon Ball Z style
Maybe in terms of scale or sheer amount of simulated objects, but when I look at Killzone 2 I see a game that LOOKS around as good. It's dealing with vastly less geometrically complex environments and a reduced colour palette which helps immensely, but it's a step closer for sure. As people get more acquainted with systems they pull greater and greater performance out of them, usually far beyond what anyone thought them capable of. I think they'll get somewhere approximate to Crysis, at 720p 30fps anyway, if not beyond that for titles featuring more enclosed environments.

Never say never, is what I'm getting at. And don't forget that I already conceded that by the time consoles do get there you'll probably be able to run Crysis in 1080p pushing 60fps.

Dibbz said:
I've played Crysis on computers with an 8800GTX and 8GB RAM, and Crysis still chugs along at very high.

Nice looking game but no where near worth the cost to play it.

All the ram in the world doesn't make any difference if the bottleneck is the video card or processor. And I put together a Pc for about $700 that plays crysis on medium/high settings for $700....

Looking as good is possible, but then it's a matter of designing games to look good with the shortcomings in mind. But as far as looking good on the same terms as Crysis goes, that sounds pretty far out of the reach of the current systems.

Ok, lets cost up a decent rig.

2 gigs of ram.£52.86
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz - £101.04
ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB GDDR3. £129
500 gb 16 mb cache HD. £65
Asrock ALiveXFire-eSATA2 Motherboard. £37.59
600w PSU. £58.74
Case : £31.71

- £475.94, inc vat - granted I left out the operating system, but that'd run Crysis on high no problems. Unfortunately with PC gaming you could have the best rig known to man and games will still be able to bring it to its knees under the right circumstances.

That was a very rough system I threw together, should work but I'm not checking specifics - no one buy it and moan if it doesn't work!

Dibbz

Teknopathetic said:
I like how you bolded the 8gb of ram part as if PC games have even started pushing past 2GB.

Furthermore, looking great is not exclusive to Very High.
Personally I think the game looks like crap when its not on Very High.

With an 8800, 8GB RAM and a dual core, you expect the game to run well. PC gamers get so defensive over the almighty Crysis. :/

The time it takes for mid range computers to run Crysis well, I expect that consoles will have games that will be almost on par with it. Isn't Fat Cry 2 comming to consoles? That looks pretty much like Crysis in Afrika imo. :/

TigerKnee

AltogetherAndrews said:

Fucking HUH?

bee

Dibbz said:

With an 8800, 8GB RAM and a dual core, you expect the game to run well. PC gamers get so defensive over the almighty Crysis. :/

The time it takes for mid range computers to run Crysis well, I expect that consoles will have games that will be almost on par with it. Isn't Fat Cry 2 comming to consoles? That looks pretty much like Crysis in Afrika imo. :/

they get defensive cos clueless people like yourself make stupid statements, like 8gb ram is gonna do anything.

farcry 2 is pc only for now.

Two games next year that are looking good are Far Cry 2 and Project Offset.

Since Project Offset is multi-platform, I doubt we will see it push the graphics limit.

So far from what I have seen, Far Cry 2 looks pretty impressive.

Dibbz said:

Far Cry 2 is for PC. I'm sure there will be some watered down, limited version of it for consoles, but the Far Cry 2 you've been seeing was designed for and has been running on hardware well beyond the capabilities of these systems.

It's kind of cool, and pretty damned different from Crysis.

Even when I've had "top of the line" systems in the past I was never a PC gamer. Shame, since I'd definitely like to experience the full level of immersion that this game promises. Ah, maybe in a few years with a proper console port.

GreekWolf said:

Same people. Same foul personal attacks every other thread. Never fails.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Far Cry 2 is for PC. I'm sure there will be some watered down, limited version of it for consoles, but the Far Cry 2 you've been seeing was designed for and has been running on hardware well beyond the capabilities of these systems.

It's kind of cool, and pretty damned different from Crysis.
That was pretty cool- I love those weather effects.

Nostromo

UncleGuito said:
Working in this industry I know what we can expect to see in the near future.
Drop this attitude dude; you don't even know on what computer I played it, basically you're telling me that I don't even know what I'm talking about.

Draft

Nothing on consoles touches Crysis. Haven't you people gotten over this yet? Stick to making fun of how much PCs cost or how uncomfortable your desk chair is.

Any console game that even comes close to Crysis is a 30fps (most of the time) screen tearing mess. And that's just getting close.

So just know your role, or desperately hold onto that dream of the fourth core or the unlocked SPUs. It could happen. You never know.

Davidion

Dibbz said:

Wow, you're right, look at how ugly it is on high at 30fps. *roll eyes* Maybe we get defensive because of how quick barrage of completely clueless comments from the even more clueless peanut gallery gets old.

Your games don't look as good as Crysis, the end. Even IF this game is representative of the level of hardware needed to engage in PC gaming (hint, it isn't), it's already running just fine on "mid-end" machines. Get over it.

Edit: Oh yeah, EIGHT GIGS OF RAM...:lol :lol

80miezp.jpg

878xzlu.jpg

itxaka

Defeatist
For me it´s not the graphics what push it but the physics. Didn´t expect to see that physics on a game in a long long time. Plus the number of objects mixed with that physics is incredible.
I am looking for any of my friends who can run this bitch as I NEED to see those physics myself, it´s just incredible. It feels as the first time I saw havok, plus 10 times better.

Davidion

GreekWolf said:
That's ridiculous.

If the Xbox 720/PS4 can achieve that level of eye candy, I will be a happy camper indeed.

I think they can do a lot more with the art direction, the gameplay is enjoyable but the designs are a bit bland. This engine plus some solid design = me passing out from the giddy.

Cruzader

Banned
Crysis is an impressive game alright, no doubt about that but its really unfair to compare it to consoles since developers have to deal with limitations while PC is an open platform where games are made with high standards and its up to the user to meet those high standards to play the said pc game while console users dont.

If you really think about it thought, KZ2 is damn impressive game for a console machine with ~512MB of ram and stuff to pull all the crazy things.

Top Bottom