• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I play Divx CD/DVD without internet? (Xbox 360)

PacoDG

Is this possible? The 'patch' that allows you to play these file types must be downloaded every time you want to use the feature?

Example: I don't have my 360 always connected, I want to play a burnt cd of Dave Attell's HBO special in .avi format. I put the disc in, it says it is mixed media, it shows the file name, but then gives me an error.

A media update is required to play this content. To get the update, sign in to Xbox LIVE and play the content again.

Status code:51-C00Df236

I plug in the ol ethernet, it then plays the file without showing any update screen or anything.

Note: The official Xbox wireless adapter is a piece of sh*t. Either it doesn't connect at all or I always get lag, but it would have been the perfect device for situations like this where I just need the internet for a quick download or what not.

Banned
It needs to be connected to the internet so it can send the file information to Microsoft to keep a record of what, if anything, you're pirating.

Is this a replacement 360? Perhaps it's like XBLA titles / DLC where you need to be connected to verify the download.

3rdman

You can download the update to a CDr and update in that way...the link is somewhere at the official site.

Edit: Nevermind...reading comprehension FTL. Surprising that you must remain connected to play them. What happens if you disconnect the line after it begins playing?

PacoDG

Rhindle said:
No, you should only have to download it once.
That is what I figured. The patch works, the files play.

It is just when I turn off the 360, come back later, it will even give me the option to resume the video where I left off, but then the error status code message comes back up and I have to connect to download the patch again.

PacoDG

3rdman said:
You can download the update to a CDr and update in that way...the link is somewhere at the official site.
Dude, thanks!

I found the page and the file here (for anyone who wants it).

Bothersome I will have to do this every time I am not connected to the net, but, at least it is a fix.

Rhindle

PacoDG said:
That is what I figured. The patch works, the files play.

It is just when I turn off the 360, come back later, it will even give me the option to resume the video where I left off, but then the error status code message comes back up and I have to connect to download the patch again.
Hmm. You might try clearing your memory cache, then downloading the patch again. If that doesn't work, I would call the support line.

andrewfee said:
It needs to be connected to the internet so it can send the file information to Microsoft to keep a record of what, if anything, you're pirating.

Is this a replacement 360? Perhaps it's like XBLA titles / DLC where you need to be connected to verify the download.

Correct :)

Exact same thing happened to me.

Make a temp account (I usually have a "Player 3" and "Player 4" account on my 360) and then log in with that and try to play the file again. It'll prompt for the download, re-download it and you should be away.

PacoDG

Well this is turning out to be bull.

I am using Nero to burn the "$SystemUpdate_12-2007.zip" file that is on microsoft.com, however I am unable to get the program/update to start up, it just says there is a "Mixed Media Disc" in the drive.

Thanks if anyone is able to help further.

Shamrock

Banned
The update is treated like any other piece of content that uses MS Digital Rights Management.

You probably downloaded the file before when it was just a update to play unprotected music. When MS did that update for Divx/avi instead of putting out a whole new update, they simply updated the old file that was for unprotected music only to now include both music and video codecs.

So if you downloaded that file before (when it was only for music), then got a replacement xbox, the file was tied to your first 360. Now you need to be signed in to live in the same fashion you would need to be for XBLA games that were originally purchased and downloaded on another console. Yes it's stupid since it's a free update. Simply create a free silver account, download the update again, then it will be tied to that console and accessible both online and off to every profile on the console.

8bit

Knows the Score
PacoDG said:
Well this is turning out to be bull.

I am using Nero to burn the "$SystemUpdate_12-2007.zip" file that is on microsoft.com, however I am unable to get the program/update to start up, it just says there is a "Mixed Media Disc" in the drive.

Thanks if anyone is able to help further.

Did you extract the content of the zip file and burn that to a disc?

PG2G

Is that the media update, or the overall dashboard update? The media files are an independent download.

Firestorm

The file on that page is only the dashboard update. The update needed to actually play the files are a seperate media update you can get on the Marketplace. I haven't found a download link for it.

Top Bottom