• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

giggas

Schmev said:
I just have problems with you people. Not you specifically.

You people really need to lick a doorknob and hopefully it will lead to the door opening to a bright shiny world where you can really mean something in.

Lick anything to get a life, you jagoffs! Get a freaking life!

Some day, you sapiens might view this message as helpful.

Who is the one with no life? The people who are all discussing something that they all have an interest in, or the dip shit son of a bitch who has nothing better to do than sit there a spew shit forth like a big fucking balloon knot? Go slip on a shit and break your back, asshole.

Hey guys.

Per usual, I've got a breakdown of each platform up at niceskybox.com.

If you don't feel like reading my longer version at the site, here's a brief breakdown:

NDS:
-Ridiculous sales, NDS is really a "mass market" device.
-I'd love to see a detailed SW breakdown, but I'm guessing that everyone (Nintendo AND 3rd party publishers) is benefitting from the fantastic market share.

Wii:
-Good sales, though lower than my expectations.
-Obviously shortages played a big part of smaller-than-expected sales.
-Good software numbers all around - RE:UC looks to be doing well, as does GH3.

360:
-Good HW sales - pretty much on point prediction wise for me.
-CoD4 was waay above expectations for me.
-All other software titles sold as expected (read: very well).
-Unlike (it seems, anyway) a lot of people, I'm really looking forward to 360's library in 08.

PS3:
-Sales are about as expected - I'm sure Sony hope for more, but they can't be too displeased with how they ended 07 (trend wise).
-Software sales are dissapointing... Orange Box in particular is very disheartening. At least Uncharted seems to be doing okay.

PS2:
-Holy Crap! Where did this come from?
-When is Sony going to drop the price to 99?

PSP:
-As usual, great HW sales but unknown/poor SW sales.

GhaleonEB

Microsoft spin just landed in my inbox. There are graphs and such but I'm sure they'll be online shortly.

Xbox 360 Drives the Video Game Console Industry in 2007: NPD data released today confirms consumers spent more dollars on Xbox 360 in 2007, with more than $13.7 billion in total consumer spending. Xbox 360 won 2007 with $4.8 billion in total consumer spend compared to Wii with $3.5 billion and PlayStation 3 with $2.2 billion. This wraps up a historic year, with NPD reporting consumers have spent nearly 45 percent of total industry figures on Xbox 360.

Here is a quick snapshot of what is driving revenue for Xbox 360, based on the latest reports from NPD and Microsoft data:

· XBOX 360 WIDENS THE GAP OVER PS3 WITH CONSOLE SALES: According to NPD, Xbox 360 sold 1.3 million consoles in December alone, and has steadily widened the gap between Sony’s PlayStation 3 console sales. In December, NPD stated that Sony sold 798,000 PS3 hardware units. Since PS3’s launch in November 2006, Xbox 360 has outsold PS3 by nearly 2:1 on average, bringing a total U.S. Xbox 360 install base of 9.2 million consoles, compared to and installed base of 7.4 million Wii consoles and 3.3 million PS3 consoles.

GAMES DRIVE INDUSTRY GROWTH: Xbox 360 robust games portfolio spans across the highest-ranked AAA titles to the largest collection of “Everyone” and “Teen” rated games. According to NPD, of the top 20 best-selling titles in 2007 for this generation, 11 were on Xbox 360; while only seven were sold on the Wii and two sold on the PS3.

o NPD reported that this holiday’s leading multiplatform blockbusters continue to sell better on Xbox 360:

§ “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” for Xbox 360 was the leading game last month with 1.5 million copies sold, outselling the PS3 version nearly 3:1.

§ “Assassin’s Creed” for Xbox 360 was the fourth best selling title, having sold 894,000 units. It outsold the PS3 version more than 2:1.

§ “Guitar Hero III” outsold the PS3 nearly 2:1, having sold 625,000 copies.

§ “Rockband” continues to rock the charts, selling 463,000 units for the Xbox 360 platform, compared to 174,000 units for the PS3

o To date, 33 third party games on Xbox 360 hit the top 10 list across all consoles compared to five third party games on PS3, and four on Wii. These results confirm that third party partners create better games and reap more sales on Xbox 360 than any other platform.

o In its fourth month on the market, Halo 3 continued its strong performance and was the sixth best selling title in December, selling another 742,000 units. In 2007, NPD projects that Halo 3 has sold 4.8 million units in the U.S. since its launch in September.

o Xbox 360 continues to lead in number of games sold per console, setting another record with an attach rate of 7.0 games per console.

· XBOX LIVE SETS NEW HEIGHTS: Xbox LIVE’s network is 10 million members strong and growing, achieving membership goals six months ahead of schedule. Only on Xbox LIVE can members experience the largest catalog of on-demand, high-definition content in the U.S., including movies and television shows from our most recent partners: Disney-ABC Television Group and MGM Studios.

We’re not slowing down in 2008. The next versions of powerhouse franchises like “Grand Theft Auto,” “Resident Evil” and sports games like “Madden”, “FIFA”, and “Pro Evolution Soccer” open up a new arena for game play on Xbox 360. This year we will make great strides toward improving our brand appeal to consumers interested in more physical game play. With titles like “Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock,” “Rock Band” and “Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action” we’re creating interactive experiences on Xbox 360 for the entire family.

To date, 33 third party games on Xbox 360 hit the top 10 list across all consoles compared to five third party games on PS3, and four on Wii. These results confirm that third party partners create better games and reap more sales on Xbox 360 than any other platform.

That is why it doesn't mean two shits that the Wii is outselling the 360.

Lobster

Banned
Schmev said:
I just have problems with you people. Not you specifically.

You people really need to lick a doorknob and hopefully it will lead to the door opening to a bright shiny world where you can really mean something in.

Lick anything to get a life, you jagoffs! Get a freaking life!

Some day, you sapiens might view this message as helpful.

Jesus christ. We do have a life outside of these sales thread you know that? These sales only come once a month.

Ass.

ksamedi

Some nice sales there, the US market is huge!

Anyway, I think Wii sales are great because it sold its December and January(rainchecks) shipment with these numbers, Nintendo should have done better with the manufacturing here but thats another story and discussion, maybe upping production in a short time span was impossible. Expect Wii to sell low numbers in January.

360 sales are dissapointing actually, 3rd holiday should have been better but it shows that it has a specialized userbase. It will never reach massmarket with the PC devs. It needs some more European and Japanese blood.

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
microsoft's spin...

microsoft: we're beating ps3! we're beating ps3! hey, did you know we're beating ps3? because we are! soundly! oh man oh man oh man wow i can't believe we're beating ps3!

oh, hullo there mr. wii. please don't hurt us.

we're beating ps3!

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
outunderthestars said:
I wonder if sales of this generation of HD discs will see anything close to the market penetration of the original dvd accomplished. I think the market will move more and more to digital distribution of films, which will increase rentals dramatically. I have around 150 dvd's, but little to no interest in either re-buying what I own, or acquiring more discs.

I think the notion that Blu-Rays victory over HD-VD as the reason why PS3 is going to destroy 360 in the coming years might be a little bit optimistic.

Having said that it definitely SHOULD have a positive effect on PS3s sales, which is good news.

RBH

Rockband” continues to rock the charts, selling 463,000 units for the Xbox 360 platform, compared to 174,000 units for the PS3

Awesome. Glad to see it sell well.

We’re not slowing down in 2008. The next versions of powerhouse franchises like “Grand Theft Auto,” “Resident Evil” and sports games like “Madden”, “FIFA”, and “Pro Evolution Soccer” open up a new arena for game play on Xbox 360.

Resident Evil 5 in 2008? :O

Mrbob

So by the MS info, it looks like Assassins Creed sold arond 400K in December and Call of Duty 4 about 500K on the triple. Not bad, as both games will go over a million sold on PS3 alone.

Odysseus said:
microsoft: we're beating ps3! we're beating ps3! hey, did you know we're beating ps3? because we are! soundly! oh man oh man oh man wow i can't believe we're beating ps3!

we're beating ps3!
Pretty much. :lol

Lobster

Banned
Wow at that Microsoft Spin..

:lol

"We're beating the Ps3 by a lot and we also have better games than the Wii does!"

Can't wait for Nintendo and Sony one. This is gonna be a great month.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Will Microsoft even mention the Wii in their PR the month that it overtakes the X360 in the US?

Big-E

Shpeshal Ed said:
You guys know that 360 games compete with each other right?

I don't really understand you. Last time I checked Madden was the only NFL game this year. Are you saying that the 360 has more marquee games so that is the reason we see attach rate differences? That is probably true but I think the attach rates still need to be considered. You have people in here saying that third party games multiplatform games are not viable when a lot of them keep pace with the 360 attach rate.

Mrbob said:
So by the MS info, it looks like Assassins Creed sold arond 400K in December and Call of Duty 4 about 500K on the triple. Not bad, as both games will go over a million sold on PS3 alone.

It's not really great either, they both sold a million in one month on 360.

fernoca

We outsold the PS3 2:1..here, here, here and here...oh and here too..and..ehr..we got more revenue than the Wii..ehr..but we outsold the PS3 2:1..

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
mysticstylez said:
That is why it doesn't mean two shits that the Wii is outselling the 360.

Kinda what I was thinking.

If the Wii could really push software, and I mean REALLY push software, it would be a different story.

I'd LOVE to see Halo 3 numbers if a controller came bundled with it from now on :lol

besada

Banned
reilo said:
Will Microsoft even mention the Wii in their PR the month that it overtakes it in the US?

Sure. They'll compare software sales and if that stops working they'll take a cue from Sony and start quoting the numbers for the Microsoft Family (including Windows!). If that stops working, we'll all be working for Nintendo, doing paperwork with a Wiimote.

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:

we're beating ps3!
And how. Note the rounding here:

According to NPD, Xbox 360 sold 1.3 million consoles in December alone, and has steadily widened the gap between Sony’s PlayStation 3 console sales. In December, NPD stated that Sony sold 798,000 PS3 hardware units.
360 gets rounded up to 1.3m (rounding of 40,000 units), the PS3 left at the exact number so it is left in the 700k range, when it would be rounded only 2k to get to 800k. Kind of like how stores price things a few cents below the next dollar increment to appear cheaper. Those wacky PR guys.

Mrbob

RevoDS said:
Waggle + non-games on 360 in 2008 confirmed?

Seems that way.

If Nintendo can sell a Wii Balance Board and have other games support it, MS can introduce their waggle controller.

Then improve it and make it standard in their next system. :/

So Rock Band on 360 should be pushing 1M by now and is definately over 1M with PS3 adding in. Pretty amazing for a $170 game.

X360 Rockband is at about 775K

PS3 is about 250K.

So yeah over a million between the two.

harSon

Banned
Odysseus said:

we're beating ps3!

While completely laughable, dethroning Sony is what they set out to do this generation. Only problem is Nintendo was first to the throne :lol

Rolf NB

outunderthestars said:
I wonder if sales of this generation of HD discs will see anything close to the market penetration of the original dvd accomplished. I think the market will move more and more to digital distribution of films, which will increase rentals dramatically. I have around 150 dvd's, but little to no interest in either re-buying what I own, or acquiring more discs.
I can help you.

Going by a very crude approximation that is often dismissed by enemies of teh Blu-ray, because they'd never shop online haha, namely the spots taken by Blu-ray movies in amazon.com's movie top 100 of sales-rankiness, there's a 17% share today for Blu-ray among all of their disc-based movie sales, or whatever they count there.
Now let's say it'll drop to half because now is some special period that won't last. Let's also say that for the overall market it is half again, because amazon.com is such a special retailer. If I do that, and I probably even shouldn't, I arrive at a 4.25% marketshare for Blu-ray, which ain't much, but is still a significant amount of cash money, and a good basis for growth.

avaya

bcn-ron said:
I can help you.

Going by a very crude approximation that is often dismissed by enemies of teh Blu-ray, because they'd never shop online haha, namely the spots taken by Blu-ray movies in amazon.com's movie top 100 of sales-rankiness, there's a 17% share today for Blu-ray among all of their disc-based movie sales, or whatever they count there.
Now let's say it'll drop to half because now is some special period that won't last. Let's also say that for the overall market it is half again, because amazon.com is such a special retailer. If I do that, and I probably even shouldn't, I arrive at a 4.25% marketshare for Blu-ray, which ain't much, but is still a significant amount of cash money, and a good basis for growth.

If you want figures, Blu-ray was >$170mn in 2007, HD-DVD >$90mn. Both combined was $270mn. Market is expected to be $1bn this year. DVD is ~$40bn.

Mrbob

ALeperMessiah said:
It's not really great either, they both sold a million in one month on 360.

Comparing the userbase of the two systems, the sales are great.

This is what publishers want anyway. Over a million + sold on both platforms. They aren't interested in the console wars like GAF is.

quest

Not Banned from OT
bcn-ron said:
I can help you.

I love this spin amazon means nothing in the grand scheme. Have we not learned our lesson about amazon yet? The hd media sales are close to 1% of the market or basically nothing. Add in the higher costs to transfer the movie and lower margins thanks to constant bogos and you have studios losing their asses praying the average person will care about PQ/SQ. When they have shown to never really care.

Raw64life

Again, everything posted in this thread that isn't in the OP...

December 2007:

WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - 147,600
WII NIGHTS: JOURNEY OF DREAMS - 60,800

NDS MARIO PARTY DS - 385,700
NDS FINAL FANTASY XII: REVENANT WINGS - 117,200

PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4 - 522,000
PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE - 206,000
PS3 ROCK BAND - 174,000
PS3 THE ORANGE BOX - 56,500
PS3 TIMESHIFT - 25,000

360 MASS EFFECT - 401,000
360 ROCK BAND - 463,000