• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Medalion said:
This disclaimer/tip should be on life's manual in general

Not sure if I trust the internet to tell people how to live their own lives..

Muskweeto said:
Is that a Facebook symbol above the staircase in the upper right corner?

Never mind, the internet is all kinds of smart! Today I learned that a lower-case "f" is the Facebook symbol and not the other way around!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Datschge said:
Nintendo uses WebKit (open source website rendering backend by KDE, Safari, Chrome...), that's interesting since they used Opera before.

They use Netfront, the latest versions of which are powered by WebKit, from my understanding. I wish people could contribute code to make it better...

Peagles

I assume it's quite well known, but cool none the less. I never got far enough in NES Zelda to hear this, but happened upon it while watching an E3 Zelda 25th Anniversary video. Here's the actual little bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk99bi1K9sE

It sounds like the inspiration for OOT's theme song, and apparently is used in SMB3 as a little ditty too. Kinda neat :)

Datschge

Andrex said:
They use Netfront, the latest versions of which are powered by WebKit, from my understanding.
I see, that's a mindblowing crappy decision to drop Opera for this instead using WebKit directly then.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Datschge said:
I see, that's a mindblowing crappy decision to drop Opera for this instead using WebKit directly then.

...I don't get the complaint?

Edit- There is no way to use WebKit "directly." It's a rendering engine, not a browser.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Peagles said:
I assume it's quite well known, but cool none the less. I never got far enough in NES Zelda to hear this, but happened upon it while watching an E3 Zelda 25th Anniversary video. Here's the actual little bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk99bi1K9sE

It sounds like the inspiration for OOT's theme song, and apparently is used in SMB3 as a little ditty too. Kinda neat :)
You can also hear the melody layered into the Wind Ruins music of Zelda Minish Cap... which is appropriate because of all the wind. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcCQ0voZ9Y (you can hear it at about 0:30)

Datschge

Andrex said:
...I don't get the complaint?
The most complicated part of a browser is the rendering engine, and WebKit is feature complete in this regard (and there are a dozen open source front ends for WebKit to look at for the rest). That Nintendo wasn't able to come up with a decent integrated front end on its own after doing stuff like weather and news channel and instead opted to just another proprietary external front end is not good news. That's pretty basic stuff, no wonder the general public has the impression of them struggling coming up with decent OS, shop and networking infrastructures...

Edit: To expand a little, a lot of additional stuff a browser needs besides a rendering engine is usually usable by and should be shared with the rest of an OS (visit history, access right management, secure connections, cache management etc.) especially if much of it is "cloud based" (like the shop naturally is). Opting for an externally developed browser based on WebKit just ensured that the wheel keeps being reinvented, inconsistencies are easy to show up and memory is wasted.

GrayFoxPL

Watanabe Kazuma said:
YES! It became the only way, I hated/hate using a HM mule whatever the game.

Also the above post reminded me of a Persona 3 related piece of trivia, I don't have any screenshots on hand to prove this but I'm pretty sure this image from the Lennox Lewis vs Klitschko poster was used in game as a flyer.

Lennox_Lewis_vs_andrew_Golota_poster.jpg

If I remember rightly it can be seen in various places, most prominently around the stations. Its always bugged me but I've never gone and actually compared the two.

The poster reads Andrew Golota in huge fucking letters and you say Klitschko.

Why?

Peagles

BocoDragon said:
You can also hear the melody layered into the Wind Ruins music of Zelda Minish Cap... which is appropriate because of all the wind. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGcCQ0voZ9Y (you can hear it at about 0:30)

That's so cool! Minish Cap is like, one of the only Zelda games I haven't played or own. I think I may have to start looking harder for one to put in my collection after hearing that track!

BocoDragon

Peagles said:
That's so cool! Minish Cap is like, one of the only Zelda games I haven't played or own. I think I may have to start looking harder for one to put in my collection after hearing that track!
I really love that game. It's very solid.

This is an epic arrangement of Zelda music from the game. I love the classic Game Boy SFX they're always using (maybe practically.. I wonder if it uses the GB sound hardware in the GBA?)

Peagles

BocoDragon said:
I really love that game. It's very solid.

This is an epic arrangement of Zelda music from the game. I love the classic Game Boy SFX they're always using (maybe practically.. I wonder if it uses the GB sound hardware in the GBA?)

That is really epic :) I'm really tempted to listen to other tracks but... I really should play it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had access to GB sound hardware, but then would that work when you put the game into a DS, for example?

Edit: Love your avatar btw...

Deegon

Banned
Grinchy said:
lol I'm about to search for "get laid all the time with no strings attached walkthrough FAQ"

1. Get rich.
2. Get ripped
3. Get a vasectomy
3. ???
4. Profit!

Optional: Enlarge you dong

There you go, one FAQ less to search for. :p

Muskweeto

RockXLight said:
Never mind, the internet is all kinds of smart! Today I learned that a lower-case "f" is the Facebook symbol and not the other way around!
As long as you realized you were wrong, we can forgive you.

BocoDragon

Peagles said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they had access to GB sound hardware, but then would that work when you put the game into a DS, for example?

If GBA games did use the GB hardware, or feature emulations of GB hardware (I have no idea how it really works), then I'm sure it was still in there somewhere on the GBA compatable DS and DS Lite.

Of course the "Game Boy" sound in Minish Cap could be just similar sounding samples.. no clue.

Peagles said:
Edit: Love your avatar btw...
Thanks man. Parappa is OG original gangsta.

Pyccko

Did a quick search and didn't find anything, so I'm probably just dumb for never noticing, but I was watching the QL of Ico/SotC and my mind was shattered.

U65Lw.png

The Ico logo is made out of horns. WHAT IS THIS.

BocoDragon

Pyccko said:
Did a quick search and didn't find anything, so I'm probably just dumb for never noticing, but I was watching the QL of Ico/SotC and my mind was shattered.

vspdle.png

Mind Blown!

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

Wow!

magawolaz

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

Holy shit

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

E5j2T.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

icon_mother_of_god.jpg

SappYoda

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

1zosk.jpg

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I know a lot of people hate "Down the Tubes" in Earthworm Jim because of the mini-sub section. Were you aware of the secret air station behind the wall?

Check out 1:18 in this video

yukonrye

This may be common knowledge but I just noticed it. The city skyline on the box art for Civilization 1 and 2 is from my hometown, Charlotte, NC. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to use that skyline for box art until I came across the image summary on wikipedia. The art was originally a promotional poster for a Ramesses II exhibit at the Mint Museum in Charlotte.

ArItW.jpg

C1gmL.jpg

Joei

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

shit just got real

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
BocoDragon said:
Mind Blown!
Seth Balmore said:
Oh my lord.
Philanthropist said:
magawolaz said:
Holy shit
RurouniZel said:
http://www.seccs.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_mother_of_god.jpg[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=SappYoda][IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/1zosk.jpg[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Joei]shit just got real[/QUOTE]

huh many surprised people,I thought it was well known and obvious since long ago :/

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Peagles said:

Minish Cap is full of remixes like that. I know at one point on this mountain, it starts raining, and the song that plays at the beginning of Link to the Past kicks in. And it's only in that area, too. :p

Peagles

Watch Da Birdie said:
Minish Cap is full of remixes like that. I know at one point on this mountain, it starts raining, and the song that plays at the beginning of Link to the Past kicks in. And it's only in that area, too. :p

Must. Own. This. Game.

But I'm not allowed to buy anything until my Birthday because I always buy stuff that people have already bought me, so I'm on a ban now for a few weeks :/

Or maybe somebody will buy me Minish Cap for my Birthday! *hopeful face*

Peagles said:
Must. Own. This. Game.

But I'm not allowed to buy anything until my Birthday because I always buy stuff that people have already bought me, so I'm on a ban now for a few weeks :/

Do you own a 3DS? It could possibly be one of the Ambassador titles. Possibly.

Clipper

Peagles said:
Must. Own. This. Game.

It might also end up being one of the 3DS Ambassador games, if you're an Ambassador, that is.

Mengetsu

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

LuFel

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

OHHHH its hornsssss!!!

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

Oh man... :O

I'm fairly sure there was a complete font for Ico floating around a few years ago where every letter consisted of horns. It's on one of my hard drives somewhere...

Top Bottom