• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Peagles

Kulock said:
Do you own a 3DS? It could possibly be one of the Ambassador titles. Possibly.

Yes, and I'm an ambassador too. Fingers crossed!

Though I wouldn't mind picking up a nice physical copy for my collection at some point too.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Totobeni said:
huh many surprised people,I thought it was well known and obvious since long ago :/
I am surprised at the reaction from some people. I just feel a simple "Oh, thats cool" feeling.

Clipper

Drkirby said:
I am surprised at the reaction from some people. I just feel a simple "Oh, thats cool" feeling.
Most of the most memorable mind blowers in the thread are things that you've been looking at or listening to for years and never noticed, but now that it's been pointed out, you can't unsee/unhear.

The Cloudbush, Fedex arrow, sped-up Bowser=Boo and many other classics in the thread fit this mould. ICO's font also fits, so it is sure to blow a few minds.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This one's been bugging me for a while but I just thought about sharing it. Remember the sound that plays when you begin a new game in Final Fantasy VIII? Well my Nokia N79 has pretty much the same (maybe a little bit shorter) sound. You can select it as the tone that plays when you receive a message (other Nokias might have it too but I'm not too sure). It's called message3.aac

I always wondered if this was a sound that was commonly used or not, otherwise it has to be inspired by it at least. Here's the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtnrJUx4oS8

The Hermit

Pyccko said:
Did a quick search and didn't find anything, so I'm probably just dumb for never noticing, but I was watching the QL of Ico/SotC and my mind was shattered.

vspdle.png

The Ico logo is made out of horns. WHAT IS THIS.

What the...

Utako

Banned
Teetris said:
This one's been bugging me for a while but I just thought about sharing it. Remember the sound that plays when you begin a new game in Final Fantasy VIII? Well my Nokia N79 has pretty much the same (maybe a little bit shorter) sound. You can select it as the tone that plays when you receive a message (other Nokias might have it too but I'm not too sure). It's called message3.aac

I always wondered if this was a sound that was commonly used or not, otherwise it has to be inspired by it at least. Here's the sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtnrJUx4oS8
It's just a random crystalline, jingly sound, don't think about it too much.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Utako said:
It's just a random crystalline, jingly sound, don't think about it too much.
I see, should've figured that yeah but I never heard it outside of these two examples so I was doubting

EmSeta

Watch Da Birdie said:
Minish Cap is full of remixes like that. I know at one point on this mountain, it starts raining, and the song that plays at the beginning of Link to the Past kicks in. And it's only in that area, too. :p
Does anyone have a vid of this?

Clipper said:
Most of the most memorable mind blowers in the thread are things that you've been looking at or listening to for years and never noticed, but now that it's been pointed out, you can't unsee/unhear.

The Cloudbush, Fedex arrow, sped-up Bowser=Boo and many other classics in the thread fit this mould. ICO's font also fits, so it is sure to blow a few minds.
I'd say Half-Life's λ = arm with crowbar also fits that mold.

Clipper

Drkirby said:
I am pretty sure that one is just a coincidence.
It is weird that there are only two serifs on the logo, though. It's probably something originally coincidental that the logo designers picked up on and exploited.

Oh, I just remembered something I noticed years back but I don't think it's been mentioned. Here's the loading screen of the classic game Tyrian:
tyrian03.jpg

Now, turn it upside-down:
tyrian03-1.jpg

Awesome, huh? It did blow my mind when I noticed it. It makes me seriously think the logo was actually the key decision in naming the game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of changing the color on the old gameboy, I just discovered that on the 3DS VC you can...

*Use the original GB resolution, complete with a game-boy border, by pressing start and select when you select the game.
*Switch it to monochrome green like the original game-boy by holding Y, L, and R during the game.

Watch Da Birdie said:
Speaking of changing the color on the old gameboy, I just discovered that on the 3DS VC you can...

*Use the original GB resolution, complete with a game-boy border, by pressing start and select when you select the game.
*Switch it to monochrome green like the original game-boy by holding Y, L, and R during the game.

You only have to hold start OR select, not both.

Dunan

Teetris said:

I've always been a fan of FF8's button/alert sounds. I actually used the "stepping on a save spot" sound as my alert sound on my computer.

(My e-mail ringtone is that sounds that plays in Assassin's Creed whenever you pick up a flag or otherwise discover something. There are two versions and I picked the quieter, less intrusive one.)

And props to Pyccko for finding that ICO thing... never would have seen that! (I do, however, see the secret hidden in your name. I actually read it the "other" way for a moment and got totally discombobulated. ^^;)

Pyccko

Dunan said:
And props to Pyccko for finding that ICO thing... never would have seen that! (I do, however, see the secret hidden in your name. I actually read it the "other" way for a moment and got totally discombobulated. ^^;)
Heh, I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who never noticed it.
Also, which secret in my name? You mean the cyrillic? Or is there something else that I don't even know about? OH GOD inceptiondog.gif

[Nintex]

Clipper said:
It is weird that there are only two serifs on the logo, though. It's probably something originally coincidental that the logo designers picked up on and exploited.

Oh, I just remembered something I noticed years back but I don't think it's been mentioned. Here's the loading screen of the classic game Tyrian:
tyrian03.jpg

Now, turn it upside-down:
tyrian03-1.jpg

Awesome, huh? It did blow my mind when I noticed it. It makes me seriously think the logo was actually the key decision in naming the game.
0_o

Woah

Koren

Clipper said:

I'm pretty sure that it's not the only ambigram I've seen in video games, but I can't remember the other one(s). Any idea?

My best example outside of video games is the Princess Bride boxart...

51%2BOCP1DUSL._SS500_.jpg

Dunan

Pyccko said:
Also, which secret in my name? You mean the cyrillic? Or is there something else that I don't even know about? OH GOD inceptiondog.gif

No; just the Cyrillic!

Speaking of ambigrams, the logo for the New X-Men is one:

morrison3.jpg

The late Martin Gardner wrote about them in his math column in Scientific American a long time ago, and then they exploded in popularity when Dan Brown used them in his novel Angels & Demons.

Koren, I can't remember the other video game one either, but I dimly recall seeing one long ago. Google is giving me nothing!

Myriadis

In the whole Jak and Daxter Trilogy, the question that goes through the whole trilogy is "Who are the Precursors?" .In the third game it is revealed that the Precursors are,
in fact, just Ottsels.
The interesting thing? One of the first lines in the first game tell you who the Precursors are.The line in question?
Samos:"Every bone in my body tells me that the answers rest on the shoulders of a young boy..."

Get it?

jaxword

Dunan said:
No; just the Cyrillic!

Speaking of ambigrams, the logo for the New X-Men is one:

morrison3.jpg

The late Martin Gardner wrote about them in his math column in Scientific American a long time ago, and then they exploded in popularity when Dan Brown used them in his novel Angels & Demons.

Also, the White Queen's costume forms an X out of her skin.

Myriadis said:
In the whole Jak and Daxter Trilogy, the question that goes through the whole trilogy is "Who are the Precursors?" .In the third game it is revealed that the Precursors are,
in fact, just Ottsels.
The interesting thing? One of the first lines in the first game tell you who the Precursors are.The line in question?
Samos:"Every bone in my body tells me that the answers rest on the shoulders of a young boy..."

Oh, I hope this was intentional. So awesome.

I'm sure this is just a coincidence, but it blew my mind a bit.

I heard this song on my way to work today:

Horst Jankowski - A Walk in the Black Forest has hints of both the Final Fantasy I prelude (0:18) and the Final Fantasy I Menu theme (0:29 - 0:34 and throughout). On their own I wouldn't think anything of it, but hearing them both in the same song was strange.

EDIT: I meant the Shop theme, not the Menu theme.

Hato-kun

Myriadis said:
in fact, just Ottsels.
GAH. This hurts me. This hurts me deep.

SuperAngelo64 said:
I'm sure this is just a coincidence, but it blew my mind a bit.

I heard this song on my way to work today:

Horst Jankowski - A Walk in the Black Forest has hints of both the Final Fantasy I prelude (0:18) and the Final Fantasy I Menu theme (0:29 - 0:34 and throughout). On their own I wouldn't think anything of it, but hearing them both in the same song was strange.
I think you might be on to something here, the similarities are instantly identifiable, and yeah, two different things like that in the same piece might not be just a coincidence.

Myriadis said:
in fact, just Ottsels.

Get it?
Holy shit, wat?

Sounds clever, but to me it felt like they hadn't really decided what the Precursors were in J&D1, and just decided to make them
Ottsels
later on because it was kind of a convenient thing to do. But maybe they always had it planned in the back of their minds.

Watch Da Birdie said:

These are mentioned in the manual.

More importantly, why are they hidden with slightly obscure button combinations? Why not include these as features right on VC in-game menu? And why can't you toggle between having the border and not after you've already started it?

Jesus Christ for the last time you don't have to hold Start AND Select, just one or the other.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, just general rage.

AbsoluteZero said:
Jesus Christ for the last time you don't have to hold Start AND Select, just one or the other.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, just general rage.

You're right, but you can't get angry at people for not knowing that's true. I just finished watching the Nintendo Show 3D on the eShop, and even they said it's Start and Select. Both buttons aren't actually required, but it's what they're telling people.

TheOGB

Banned
cacildo said:
And this song is now called "In my room, breaking my pots"
Bahahaha

Myriadis said:
in fact, just Ottsels.

Get it?
BAHAHAHAHAHA

BY2K

Membero Americo
The guy who voices Tingle in Wind Waker is the same guy who voices Ganondorf in Twilight Princess.

My mind...

Haunted

Pyccko said:
Did a quick search and didn't find anything, so I'm probably just dumb for never noticing, but I was watching the QL of Ico/SotC and my mind was shattered.

vspdle.png

what the shit

Drakken

EmCeeGramr said:
You enter Take-Two's offices and notice a Coca-Cola machine in the lobby. Thirsty, you reach into your pocket and rummage for change.

There's an odd feeling as you place the first quarter in. You look at the display and realize to your delight and fortune that someone had already placed the remaining dollar in the machine. The drink will only cost you a single coin. As the can bangs its way into the receptacle, you notice that the lobby, once occupied by a handful of employees and visitors, is now empty. Lunchtime perhaps?

You feel an odd nostalgia as you look at the can. Its design seems older somehow. You feel like you've seen this particular summer design years ago. The late 90s? It's so hard to think. "Why did I come to T2 today?" your brain screams, but no answer comes. Desperate for answers, you crack open the can and take a sip. Maybe quenched thirst will aid your memory.

Suddenly the lobby is occupied again. Nobody seems to have gone anywhere. Yet there's too many people. One too many people. A maintenance man walks up to you and says he has to fix the machine.

"You know," he says. "This machine's seen a lot. They say that when a man loses himself, he loses a part of himself. And that part will find a new home."

What is he talking about? Is this guy crazy? You want to run, but feel compelled to listen.

"Like a cancer, it breaks off, grows, metastasizes in new places. Those feelings linger."

The man is gone. Terrified, you run to a nearby security guard.

"Now hold on," he says, cutting you off. "Where did you get that can?" His eyes are wild and fixated on the cold aluminum cylinder.

A pause. A Walgreens, you finally respond. The nearest Walgreens is 5 miles away. The condensation on the can is still light, not yet settled into heavy wet beads.

"I think you should leave." You think so too.

At home the world becomes a blur. Time changes, the scale and physics of everyday reality bend and grow and twirl until Newton's laws become lies. A hole of nothing grows on your wall, formless. It slowly becomes a rectangle, a frame, a paper, some kind of diploma or award. It hurts to look at, as though you're looking at an optical illusion made physical. It's a PhD.

The Name engraved upon the parchment calls to you. Once you intone It. Twice.

Suddenly, a fragment of your soul pulls you from the brink. Accept an eternity of peace, not madness. You scramble to a dresser drawer. It seems hard to open, like you don't know how. A loaded revolver lies pregnant with the sleep of ages. Its cold barrel a tease as you struggle to fire it. How. How. How.

The key bindings appear. PgDwn. PgDwn? Who... ? The Name becomes all you can think of. One final third time. It is your reality. No. You resist. You must.

You press PgDwn and suddenly the world explodes into blue. A 640x480 grid of blue checkerboards, with a floor of gray. Floating forms of manila folders, CRT monitors, and recycling bins hang overhead, labeled appropriately. Your attempts have been thwarted.

You speak the Name The Third Time and He is there. He smiles and extends a hand to take you to a world 1000 years in the making where the logic of today no longer binds us.

"But I have no fare," you say.

He closes His hand and opens it. On His palm is the quarter.

"You've already paid it."

What... is this?

I don't have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread, but the shell on Oshawott's belly looks like a cock and balls.

oshawott.png

Take that as you will.

wiibomb

Pyccko said:

vspdle.png

??? now I´m kinda confused, I thought it was made from claws...

wiibomb

MrCookiepants said:
I don't have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread, but the shell on Oshawott's belly looks like a cock and balls.

oshawott.png

Take that as you will.

what the.... ???? you are a pervert...

Top Bottom