• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Kinyou

Watch Da Birdie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYfZ_aLsW90

Here's an older trailer with the Conan music, the Wind Waker 2002 trailer.
From the Gametrailers Top 100 Trailers thread
TSA said:
Also, the "Conan" song you refer to, Basil Poledouris' "Riddle Of Steel / Riders Of Doom", had been used in Zelda SEVERAL times before that trailer.

Ocarina of Time 1998 North American Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JntHVUp7m4E

Majora's Mask E3 2000 Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orgwe5wokNo

The Wind Waker E3 2002 Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYfZ_aLsW90

Also re-used in the Ocarina of Time E3 2011 Trailer (remake of the 1998 commercial):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kggOvvbLVO0

OVERDONE.

You know what I'm going to say now? Almost all of these 3D Zelda trailers had:
1) Link doing a spin attack
2) Link pushing a block
3) Link running towards the camera
4) Link doing a jump attack
5) Link fighting either a Moblin or a Stalfos

It was so formulaic it was ridiculous. Zelda trailers have never been good. Commercials are another story, but the official trailers are bleck.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
MrCookiepants said:
I don't have anything meaningful to contribute to this thread, but the shell on Oshawott's belly looks like a cock and balls.

oshawott.png

Take that as you will.
You must have one hell of a downstairs mixup going on.

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
I don't know if this is mind-blowing because I'm sure there were kids unlike me who read instruction manuals as a kid, but I finally learned the logical progression/story of Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles (which I learned from the Sonic Wikia).

At the end of Sonic 2, Sonic escapes the Death Egg with all the chaos emeralds and the Death Egg crashes into the Floating Island bringing it down to sea level prompting Sonic to explore the new island. We all know that Robotnik tricked Knuckles, yadda yadda yadda. After Sonic beats Robonik in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the Death Egg crashes again (which is retconned from being destroyed in Sonic 3) into a volcano (Lava Reef/Hidden Palace Zone) on the Floating Island. It's here where Robonik discovers the Master Emerald and re-builds the end boss from Sonic 2 / Death Egg to be powered with the Master Emerald.

After Sonic's ending in Sonic and Knuckles, Robonik's robot crashes AGAIN to the Floating Island (where the Master Emerald has been returned). Thinking Robotnik is gone, Sonic & Tails leave, and Robotnik sends out one last EggRobo to take care of Knuckles (which is why the EggRobo appears at the end of Sonic's story in S&K). Robotnik is off trying to get the Master Emerald again (and presumably weakened aside from some leftover toys from Sonic's story), which is why you don't face Robotnik as Knuckles except in glitches. Ultimately, Knuckles beats Mecha Sonic who had harnessed the power of the Master Emerald (causing it to sink during their battle) and the sky floats back up at the end of the story.

It's convoluted at best, but it solved a 20 year mystery for me that I never understood as a kid. It doesn't explain the super good ending for Sonic/Tails in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but at least it makes a bit of sense, and it's the best I've got for this topic. Better than a Pokemon penis hunt, right?

Myriadis

Similar to the fact that the Gerudo Fighers in OoT change the color of their clothes when you change your tunic ,Zelda in the first Game does the same. Playing through the game without any ring, and Zelda at the end wears green.Wear the red ring and she wears red.

mario_Cant_Be_Unseen_2-s640x391-51699.jpeg

Found this on a site and it made me chuckle. Yes its not an accurate space invader, but in a contest of generic alien blob looking things, Mario's overalls are definitely a front-runner.

Myriadis said:
Similar to the fact that the Gerudo Fighers in OoT change the color of their clothes when you change your tunic ,Zelda in the first Game does the same. Playing through the game without any ring, and Zelda at the end wears green.Wear the red ring and she wears red.
Heh. That's pretty cool.

Link wearing the red clothes uses the same colour pallette as Mario does in SMB1.

Chronoja

IAmABeliver said:
I don't know if this is mind-blowing because I'm sure there were kids unlike me who read instruction manuals as a kid, but I finally learned the logical progression/story of Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles (which I learned from the Sonic Wikia).

At the end of Sonic 2, Sonic escapes the Death Egg with all the chaos emeralds and the Death Egg crashes into the Floating Island bringing it down to sea level prompting Sonic to explore the new island. We all know that Robotnik tricked Knuckles, yadda yadda yadda. After Sonic beats Robonik in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the Death Egg crashes again (which is retconned from being destroyed in Sonic 3) into a volcano (Lava Reef/Hidden Palace Zone) on the Floating Island. It's here where Robonik discovers the Master Emerald and re-builds the end boss from Sonic 2 / Death Egg to be powered with the Master Emerald.

After Sonic's ending in Sonic and Knuckles, Robonik's robot crashes AGAIN to the Floating Island (where the Master Emerald has been returned). Thinking Robotnik is gone, Sonic & Tails leave, and Robotnik sends out one last EggRobo to take care of Knuckles (which is why the EggRobo appears at the end of Sonic's story in S&K). Robotnik is off trying to get the Master Emerald again (and presumably weakened aside from some leftover toys from Sonic's story), which is why you don't face Robotnik as Knuckles except in glitches. Ultimately, Knuckles beats Mecha Sonic who had harnessed the power of the Master Emerald (causing it to sink during their battle) and the sky floats back up at the end of the story.

It's convoluted at best, but it solved a 20 year mystery for me that I never understood as a kid. It doesn't explain the super good ending for Sonic/Tails in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but at least it makes a bit of sense, and it's the best I've got for this topic. Better than a Pokemon penis hunt, right?

Edit: Removing most of my post lol. I didn't read properly so most of it was redundant :)

I'm only commenting because it is this exact reason I will always consider Sonic 3 & Knuckles (and it bugs me when people don't realise this as the full game) to be the best Sonic game ever. I too had this mind blowing epiphany when I was younger and it just set it on a scale beyond any other game at the time. Sonic CD can't hold a candle to it whatsoever in my honest opinion.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
IAmABeliver said:

I thought most of this was pretty obvious as a kid. How else to explain that the island is already in the sky, Sonic and Robotnik are nowhere to be seen, and and most of the structural damage that occurs in Sonic's story has already happened when you come across those locations in Knuckles' story? Not to mention that Knuckles isn't in cahoots with Robotnik when you're playing as him and setting up traps for Sonic or any of that junk.

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
Sixfortyfive said:
I thought most of this was pretty obvious as a kid. How else to explain that the island is already in the sky, Sonic and Robotnik are nowhere to be seen, and and most of the structural damage that occurs in Sonic's story has already happened when you come across those locations in Knuckles' story? Not to mention that Knuckles isn't in cahoots with Robotnik when you're playing as him and setting up traps for Sonic or any of that junk.

What structural damage, aside from shortened zones? I had always thought that Knuckles's story came first or ran concurrently to Sonic's. I thought EggRobo was sent out as a distraction for Knuckles to keep him from finding out the truth until Sonic's story.

dunno if its my mind or not, but does de music that plays every time you put the cursor on some apps (not all) in the 3ds menu is the same but at different pace??

I can´t fin any videos, but as I say maybe I´m wrong

Kiiji

Banned
Ever wonder why there were so many random floating bricks in Super Mario Bros?

The bricks are actually citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom who were transformed.

Every time you break a brick in Super Mario Bros, you're committing murder.

instructions_2.jpg

Dreavus

Kiiji said:
Ever wonder why there were so many random floating bricks in Super Mario Bros?

The bricks are actually citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom who were transformed.

Every time you break a brick in Super Mario Bros, you're committing murder.

instructions_2.jpg

If nearly the entire landscape up to and including field horsehair plants are actually transmogrified mushroom people, then what the hell did the Mushroom Kingdom look like before they all changed?

Aw, I thought this was a little more obscure, but I see it in a Star Fox wiki. At least it saves me trying to record and post videos to prove it:

http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Katina

In Star Fox 64 (3D too), there's the stage Katina, with Bill where you basically reenact the movie Independence Day. There's swarms of enemy and ally ships, and after 10 get destroyed (by you or allies), the core opens up, and you can shoot that down.

Anyway, if you can destroy the core without killing a single ally ship, Bill's speech changes. I'll quote the Wiki:
instead of Bill saying "Take care, Fox" with Fox replying "You too....Bill", Bill will say "I'm glad we're on the same team, Fox" and Fox will reply"You owe me one."

The tone of the ending is a bit different, but it's not easy to pull this off, since everybody's swarming all over the place, usually in front of your shots. One of the things I found easiest to do when messing with the N64 version was to fly around the borders of the map, picking off the occasional straggler if they got close enough, but otherwise just letting my allies pick them off. The problem is that occasionally, Peppy will say something like "Got one... wait, that's one of ours!" Which means you've lost your shot at getting the different level end speech, since you're an ally down. Peppy, and apparently only Peppy, can screw you out of a perfect run.

Dreavus said:
If nearly the entire landscape up to and including field horsehair plants are actually transmogrified mushroom people, then what the hell did the Mushroom Kingdom look like before they all changed?
We're still missing a vital piece of the puzzle.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Philanthropist said:
So, whenever Mario breaks a brick, he's actually killing someone?

Mario mass murderer confirmed.
I think they brushed that aside by claiming he was setting them free, we just don't see them due to technical limitation. The powerups are meant to be a way of thanks.

Kiiji

Banned
BGBW said:
I think they brushed that aside by claiming he was setting them free, we just don't see them due to technical limitation. The powerups are meant to be a way of thanks.
Peagles said:
Maybe the people are coins after they are freed? That way it's like you're collecting people you're saving.
Not possible. The manual says in the next paragraph that Princess Toadstool is the only one who can reverse the spell and return the Mushroom People to their original form.

Clipper

Perhaps the Princess' power is strong enough that she can gather the shards of bricks and reassemble them while changing them back into their original form.

And yeah, we've had this conversation before in the thread, including images of real field horsehair plants...

Metal B

Look! A Pinguin-like Pokemon that looks like Santa Claus and he even has an sack with him.
delibird.png

Its not a sack, its his tail.

In Kirby 64, there is an ice level, a planet called Shiver Star. Shiver star is Earth in nuclear winter after a nuclear holocaust wipes out humanity. Those of you that have the game, notice:

- You can see silhouettes of the continents on the planet, along with the lone moon orbiting it
- There's a stray 'No Trespassing' sign in the level selection screen
- One of the levels in this world is an enormous shopping mall, and right after that level you go behind the mall into a huge factory, complete with genetic experimentation on bad guys in the background
- The boss in this world is a giant robot, fought with skyscrapers and everything in the background

So apparently humans did lots of consuming and corporations got lots of power and built huge war machines and ended life on Earth and sent it into an ice age. And then Kirby came and got some crystals and so on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqpeQMw3V4

Kenak said:
So you mean after distorting the image, adding lines to the shell, and drawing in detail it looks like a penis?! NO WAI!!!!!1ONE1!

No, it looked like one in the first place. It's just that some of ya'll are apparently a bit slow/unimaginative, so I thought that picture might help. Geez, lighten up GAF.

MrCookiepants said:
No, it looked like one in the first place. It's just that some of ya'll are apparently a bit slow/unimaginative, so I thought that picture might help. Geez, lighten up GAF.
so not being able to see a dick on a pokemon means i lack imagination

ok

MrCookiepants said:

The problem I think some of us are having is that it didn't look like one in the first place.

Professor Beef said:
so not being able to see a dick on a pokemon means i lack imagination

ok

Not being able to see a dick when there is a tube shape with a knob on the end and two roundish things on either side means you lack imagination, yeah.

To be fair, I'm an artist so I've learned to visualize things from basic shapes. I guess it's just more difficult for some people.

NoRéN

MrCookiepants said:
Not being able to see a dick when there is a tube shape with a knob on the end and two roundish things on either side means you lack imagination, yeah.

To be fair, I'm an artist so I've learned to visualize things from basic shapes. I guess it's just more difficult for some people.
I'm an actor. This job as a waiter I currently have is only until I make it big. Wanna read my screenplay?

MrCookiepants said:
pfffft bahaha

GATHER ROUND YOU NON-ARTIST TYPES AND I WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO INTERPRET EVEN THE MOST ORDINARY AND MUNDANE OF OBJECTS PHALLIC.

Zomba13

MrCookiepants said:

But the thing is it doesn't really look like a dick and balls, it looks like a sea shell. I mean, it does kinda look like a weird set in the picture but then that is what someone has drawn onto it to make it look like it (like the pics with it looking like a glove and mushroom).

Top Bottom