• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Xav

Matt Cassamina's head can be found on Perfect Dark on N64, you can play as him or shoot him.
1-3.jpg

Even Shiggy himself makes an appearance much like Matt except you can actually find Shiggy in the opening cut-scene to Pelagic II wearing something similar to what Mario would wear.
DSC06606.jpg

aaaaaa

Startropics 2
11hykox.gif

Maybe this was obvious to everyone but me. The magic word that the main character uses throughout the game is based on the sound made in "Surfin' Bird". It only took me a decade to notice this.

HUELEN10

Sonic Heroes: Hang Castle
Sonic Unleashed: Apotos Windmill Isle Night

Listen to :00 to :08 of Hang Castle

Now listen to :06 to :23 of Apotos Night

Listen to :09 to :40 of Hang Castle

Now listen to :24 to :58 of Apotos Night

Listen to :41 to 57 of Hand Castle

Now listen to :59 to 1:15 of Apotos Night

Listen to the rest yourself and see how it all goes down. I don't know about you, but it sounds WAY too similar to me, unlike the whole Sonic Unleashed main theme/angel island shit.

rocK`

Banned
Forkball said:
If you've played Pokemon, you know that each Pokemon is numbered in the Pokedex (the encyclopedia that has basic Pokemon information). Bulbasaur is 1, Ivysaur 2, Venusaur 3 etc.

Anyways, Pikachu's number is 25:

PokemonElectronic25Pikachu.JPG

And Meowth's number is 52:

PokemonElectronic52Meowth.JPG

THE NUMBERS ARE REVERSE OF EACH OTHER. CAT AND MOUSE. FRIEND AND FOE.

this explains why team rocket had meowth as their main pokemon...interesting

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLYYY FUCKIINGG SHIT I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING (potentially old but I just figured this out)

Tom Nook = a fucking raccoon = Tanooki Suit

mind blown

webrunner

Edit: saw what I had posted was already posted and I missed it on my first read.

Here's something a little minor: The Hula GirL doll you need to build the epic flying mount for Engineering is actually on the model, but you might not see it unless you turn the camera around to the front to see the dashboard.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Sailor said:
lol, saw this on Digg today. seriously blew my mind :0

xkneae.jpeg
And if you draw a line between the X, Square, and O buttons, it forms a triangle! The circle is complete.

jarosh

HUELEN10 said:
Sonic Heroes: Hang Castle
Sonic Unleashed: Apotos Windmill Isle Night

Listen to :00 to :08 of Hang Castle

Now listen to :06 to :23 of Apotos Night

Listen to :09 to :40 of Hang Castle

Now listen to :24 to :58 of Apotos Night

Listen to :41 to 57 of Hand Castle

Now listen to :59 to 1:15 of Apotos Night

Listen to the rest yourself and see how it all goes down. I don't know about you, but it sounds WAY too similar to me, unlike the whole Sonic Unleashed main theme/angel island shit.
is this some sort of a joke? what are you talking about? these two tracks have absolutely nothing in common.

jon bones said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOLYYY FUCKIINGG SHIT I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING (potentially old but I just figured this out)

Tom Nook = a fucking raccoon = Tanooki Suit

mind blown

Old, but actually "Tanuki" is Japanese for racoon dog. The Tanooki suit is actually based off the japanese folklore Tanuki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanuki

"Tom Nook" is a play on the sound Tanuki.

Since we're at it, here's another old one:

Wario is called Wario not simply because of the "upside down M" but because in Japanese, "Warui" means "Evil". Again, another play on words. Hence why Luigi's evil counterpart is named "Waruigi"

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
In Professor Layton, when completing a puzzle, you can actually know whether you're correct or not a moment before Layton or the boy says so. They flash closer to the screen three times, with "Correct" or "Incorrect" appearing the final time, but before that, they'll either have a little grin or a little frown on their face, so that you know what's coming.

I played through the entire game twice and never noticed this. My wife played for like ~20 minutes, and it's one of the first comments she made.

Its no cloudbush but...

What was the first videogame to feature both Mario and Sonic?

Courtesy of some research from TmEE over at Sonic Retro, the answer is in fact:

Mega Turrican (European version).

I noticed something fun in Mega Turrican (European version)... deep in its VRAM there was Mario AND Sonic... I have not seen those 2 in the game... maybe they're present in the secret level that you can get into after the elevator part (and I've not got into that stage yet).

sonicmario.jpg

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
sykoex said:
And if you draw a line between the X, Square, and O buttons, it forms a triangle! The circle is complete.
That made no fucking sense. I must have been drunk or something.

CTLance

sykoex said:
That made no fucking sense. I must have been drunk or something.
On the controller. On the controller you get a triangle if you connect the buttons.

So yes, you made sense. In a way.

Nothing amazing, and I'm gonna ssume everyone knows this one, but I'm hoping there's SOMEONE who didn't jerry.

the secret character in Mortal Kobat 2? or 3 Noob Saibot, is the surnames of the creators reversed.

Ed Boon and John Tobias.

BirdFlu

Banned
I dunno if anybody's mentioned this yet, but I noticed it last night. Ever take a look at Remedy's company logo?

620px-Remedy_Entertainment_logo.svg.png

Take a look at what's inside the 'R'. Nothing less from the guys who brought you bullet time in Max Payne

pgtl_10

One of the best threads on GAF. Amazing how the thread started off so poorly and then the Mario cloud/bush thing came into play.

Worth repeating - The guy on the Kid Chameleon box came up with the name "Dr. Robotnik."

The dude in the leather jacket and shades. He is a real person, named Dean Sitton, and among the random jobs he did for Sega includes coming up with the name Dr. Robotnik, along with other badnik names (like Crabmeat, Buzz Bomber, Catterkiller, etc).

He also named both QuackShot and Decap Attack.

Just a bit of random trivia to brighten your day. Think about this next time you see the most badass box art ever.

I like to imagine Dean Sitton looking exactly like he does on the box (rolled up acid washed jeans, leather jacket, shades and all) leaning up against a coke machine while SoA executives brought him this photo:

dr-robotnik.jpg

And then he pulls down his shades and says, in a clint eastwood-esq rhaspy whisper, "I'll call him... Dr. Robotnik" and then gives a fonz thumbs up.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Jazzem said:
Here's something I found out recently through youtube that amazed me...

Donkey Kong Land boss theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoy77U_hs4k

Blast Corps 'Jade Plateau' theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn96ZhC7Mj4&

These are both games I played prominently in my childhood and yet I never noticed :O

God, you just reminded me of how awesome Blast Corps and its music was.

I remember also hearing other Blast Corps music in other Rare games. I'll see if I can find some to either prove or disprove myself.

GDJustin said:
In Professor Layton, when completing a puzzle, you can actually know whether you're correct or not a moment before Layton or the boy says so. They flash closer to the screen three times, with "Correct" or "Incorrect" appearing the final time, but before that, they'll either have a little grin or a little frown on their face, so that you know what's coming.

I played through the entire game twice and never noticed this. My wife played for like ~20 minutes, and it's one of the first comments she made.

I thought this was the most obvious thing in the world, but then I was playing the game with my girlfriend the other day and I'd comment "yes!" or "nooo!" just before the correct/incorrect came up, and she asked, "how'd you know??"

I guess it's not common knowledge after all :lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Mama Robotnik said:
Its no cloudbush but...

What was the first videogame to feature both Mario and Sonic?

Courtesy of some research from TmEE over at Sonic Retro, the answer is in fact:

Mega Turrican (European version).

sonicmario.jpg

:eek: That's fucking awesome. Mind blown.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
So, about the Mario & Sonic one, are they REALLY present in the actual game, or are they just bg tile fillers?

batbeg said:
Nice one noticed by ZealousD, it's a pretty close fit:

Tales of Symphonia - Fighting of the Spirit (01:12)

Tales of Phantasia - Fighting of the Spirit (01:12)

Hang-On - Gameplay (00:26)

I haven't investigated enough to see if it's exact or anything, but I knew Hang-On reminded me of something and once he said it it clicked for me.

Just noticed this thread, and then this post.

There is a reason why they are the same.

Tales of Symphonia is in fact a prequel to Tales of Phantasia.

Tales of Symphonia, both worlds combined.
toslarge8be.jpg

Tales of Phantasia, world map.
toplarge1sp.jpg

Akai

Wyndstryker said:
Just noticed this thread, and then this post.

There is a reason why they are the same.

Tales of Symphonia is in fact a prequel to Tales of Phantasia.

Tales of Symphonia, both worlds combined.

Tales of Phantasia, world map.

That means they are the same world, but Phantasia could just as easily be the prequel...
Remember, the world was once whole before, too, before Mithos split it!

Kyo

Fuu said:
I have the impressiom that they have many of Metal Gear's ideas while being hard on the booze, and then after they sober up they select the adequate ones. :lol

That sounds quite realistic, not so sure about the last part though. :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Akai said:
That means they are the same world, but Phantasia could just as easily be the prequel...
Remember, the world was once whole before, too, before Mithos split it!
Time for really nerdy knowledge time!

The thing with Symphonia being before Phantasia is the fact that in Phantasia the tree is
named Yggdrassil, probably after Mithos

Cheerilee

rocK` said:
this explains why team rocket had meowth as their main pokemon...interesting
I always thought it had to do with how in the original Pokemon games, Red and Blue/Green, Meowth and Ekans were both considered "rare" Pokemon in that they were exclusive to one version of the game or the other (as were several others). Although Koffing didn't fit in the group because he wasn't rare until Pokemon Yellow.

And Pikachu was never rare.

Soulhouf

Chris Michael said:
2) Camelot. tri-Ace. tri-Crescendo. Namco Tales Studo. What do they all have in common?

It all starts with Wolfteam.
Are you sure that Camelot is involved as well?
According to wikipedia, I don't see any mention to Camelot.
Camelot was known in the past as Sonic! Software. They were a subdivision of SEGA who created the "Shining" series (Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Shining the Holy Arc...).

Top Bottom