• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 young men try to fly BMW off runway, succeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andokuky

Banned
http://www.local6.com/news/15144329/detail.html?iref=topnews

It's tragic when innocent people die in wrecks they had nothing to do with but man, why are some people so fucking stupid? I can't imagine how scary it must have been though, speeding along at well over 100mph in the dark then suddenly seeing not only does the strip end, but it ends with a CLIFF! But, apparently the driver was reading blogsites for tips on speed before it happened so maybe they knew about the cliff if it was all planned. Sorry if old, I searched and didn't see anything.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
...I read the title, and thought this would be an awesome story about young scientists with a flying car. :'(

Yikes

ap_bmw_crash_080128_ms.jpg

Yikes II

But less than six hours before the accident, a user who called himself "AmericanM5" logged on to a BMW M-5 online forum asking for advice on how to make the 500-horsepower car go faster.

Florida newspaper the Star Banner identified the user as 18-year-old Ammirato.

"The problem is when I'm going pedal to the metal pushing 140 and upshifting, there tends to be thud noise with the gear change," AmericanM5 wrote in one post, adding, "Let me say I am beginner when it comes to high-performance cars as I am only 18 so take it easy on me."

Others on the online forum doubted AmericanM5's claims of owning such a high-powered BMW at such a young age and warned him to take it slow.

A member logged in as "M5Froth" wrote, "Its [sic] just disturbing to know, if you're for real, that an 18 year old who is asking these questions about a 500hp car is driving the same street I am. I don't have anything against young guys driving nice cars, but an 18 year old behind the wheel of an M5 is what accidents are made of IMO."

In his last entry on the forum, posted at 12:33 a.m. Saturday, AmericanM5 wrote, "I completley [sic] understand where you are coming from assuming that I am irresponsible.. that is definetly [sic] understandable. I do sometimes make bad decisions but I am young and I do drive safe and I will not endanger the lives of others.. and I hope you are not under the impression that I am the one to brag, I have never been that way and never will."

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Why do they point out John Travolta's home in that picture?

:lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
You know, I love high-horsepower supercars, but I'm of the opinion that you have to be a skilled driver before even thinking about buying one. Do I have to point out the epidemic of totalled Enzos?

Imm0rt4l

RubxQub said:
Why do they point out John Travolta's home in that picture?

John Travolta own 5 airplanes including a 707, he's a pilot. I suppose that's where he taxi's his planes, and is reason for others to know that it isn't just some random ass guy building a home near a runway.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Do you really think it's a coincidence that John Travolta's home is pointed out? Don't you think it's a little suspicious that five people of computer-using age were found flung off a cliff outside of his house? Hmmmmmmmm? Scientology is striking back, Anonymous!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Imm0rt4l said:
John Travolta own 5 airplanes including a 707, he's a pilot. I suppose that's where he taxi's his planes, and is reason for others to know that it isn't just some random ass guy building a home near a runway.
I knew Travolta was a pilot...but how does him owning a home near the runway add any value to this story or that picture?

Just...don't include the home in the picture?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
maybe anon was planning on launching the car into travoltas home for epic lulz against the CoS?

Xapati

My guess is the guy was probably trying too see how fast he can go (I've known people who've driven cars at high speeds onrunways) and completely underestimated the distance he had travelled. Shouldn't have been pulling the stunt in the dark though.

Unbelievably tragic, even at 18 you should know better than to do something crazy like this with four other people in the car

It's probably not so random that they show Travolta's house, as it explains why there's a unsecured runway doing in the middle of nowhere.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
"hey dude, are you sure this is a plane? do planes have steering wheels?"

"of course dude, how else would you steer?"

"DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom