• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings [2/10 - 2/16]

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This week didn't have much special going on. No shipments of any hardware period.

I think we will do the systems in order of how I personally think they are performing this week. Not necessarily in sales, but new products, consumer interest, etc.

PS3 -

There just seems to be a lot of excitement around the PS3 lately. We sold our last two 80GBs this week and 1 40GB also. Games are selling much better now than they did last month. I see people much more often going over to look through the PS3 case for games than I did a month ago (and more), too. Blu-Ray sales are picking up as a result, and I have noticed even titles that used to not sell on HD formats are selling well, like dramas and comedies.

DMC4 sold out this week on PS3, Turok sold a few copies, Call of Duty 4 sold out, Resistance sold out at its pricepoint of 39.99 (don't know if that is permanent or not), Assassin's Creed sold a couple. Funny thing is, Rock Band and Guitar Hero III on the PS3 don't sell worth crap. Really, they are literally gathering dust in more than the comical sense.

I think people heard the 80GB-going-out rumors and that sparked many purchases, as we had people coming in after hearing that we had 2 left in stock and then being absolutely bitterly pissed after seeing that we were sold out. My district went from about 30 of them in stock 2 weeks ago to 0 in stock today. That may not sound too crazy for 10 stores, but when they were selling at a pace of 5-10 for the whole district per week before a few weeks ago, that shows tremendous growth. Next week should be even better, as the 40GB PS3 has a $40 target gift card with the system at Target. and, even though there are over 105 40 GB PS3s in my district as we speak, I bet they get whittled down to 40 or 50 by the end of the week, thanks to the sale.

DS -

We sold out of the 18 Cobalt and Black DS's that we received this week. We received, nor had any other colors in stock all week. Games continue to sell really well across the system. Apparently DSs continue to be hard to find in some colors, as people call in asking for specific colors and then complain that they can't find them anywhere.

Mario and Sonic sold well, Zelda sold out again, Pokemon continues selling well, Pets games of all types sell well, unfortunately. Advance Wars was sold out all week

Wii -

Still getting a bajillion calls a week for the system, yet this week was another without a Wii shipment. Nintendo could easily sell 500k or more in any month if they would just ship some consoles already! Man!

Endless Ocean sold out (yay!) Mario and Sonic sold really well, a few copies of Mario Galaxy and Wii Play also sold. Guitar Hero III sold out again, and some other games like Battalion Wars II, Zelda, and Mario Party 8 sold a couple copies.

360 -

2 Elites mysteriously came into the store this week, while no other store ever had them, we ended up selling them the same day they came in. Microsoft is retarded, simply put. Unless we get some huge shipments in next week, I fully expect the PS3 to outsell the 360 again in February.

Guitar Hero III sold really well, as did Rock Band. Turok sold a couple copies, Devil May Cry 4 sold a couple copies, Call of Duty 4 sold really well. Lost Odyssey sold out, although we only received 4 copies. Halo 3 sold a few as well.

PSP -

We had a Star Wars bundle returned to us and someone brought back a Core system that they had bought the week before. It does seem like a lot of new stuff has come out laely for the PSP. Our case is chock full with games and UMD movies for the first time I have ever seen while working at Target. Problem is, nobody is buying anything.

Other than a few Greatest Hits games, I didn't see one game or movie getting purchased this week for the PSP.

(PS2 sells a lot of games still and systems here and there)

stotch

Banned
Do companies stockpile for big games that release in the spring (GTA), or do they airlift and ramp up production like they do during the holidays?

In my humble opinion the wii is just unstoppable. I was covering electronics at my store and i had 5 women in the span of 30 seconds call and or show up in store asking for the wii and then asking specifically when the best time is to come in for one or to call.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Agent Icebeezy said:
Yeah, something is going on I believe. This is just too weird now.
I forgot where the article was, but shortages are going to remain throughout Feb till sometime in March. Something about drying out the current stock and shipping new units...and since it seems to be for all 3. Should mean better quality systems.

Agent Icebeezy said:
What if they not only planned to put a hddvd drive in their console, but actually started to produce & stockpile those unit for a launch. Well and in the past weeks they struggle because of it.
Who wants to support a dead format?

EvilDick34 said:
In my humble opinion the wii is just unstoppable. I was covering electronics at my store and i had 5 women in the span of 30 seconds call and or show up in store asking for the wii and then asking specifically when the best time is to come in for one or to call.
"market expansion". believe.

[edit] ahh, I wanted to edit my last post instead. sorry :(

stotch

Banned
Phantast2k said:
What if they not only planned to put a hddvd drive in their console, but actually started to produce & stockpile those unit for a launch. Well and in the past weeks they struggle because of it.

After FOX went Blu-Ray, Warner was always going to go blu as well. It would be epic-ly stupid to have stockpiled a bunch of hd-dvd 360s.

shintoki said:
I forgot where the article was, but shortages are going to remain throughout Feb till sometime in March. Something about drying out the current stock and shipping new units...and since it seems to be for all 3. Should mean better quality systems.

GTA is April...MS would have to ramp up production to holiday levels to rush enough "new" units out. But with all that money spent on airfreighting stuff in in time for GTA, MS could have cut the price of the Halo 3 360s and stop supply issues before they started.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
stotch said:
Weren't they correct last NPD?
Not really ... although AB did pretty well in the prediction threads... if you went strictly from these musings you have to think that PS3 was way out infront of everything because there were absolutely no Wiis or 360s availible. Turned out, everything was close to even, shortages had an effect but weren't extreme and Wii still came out on top. They are interesting reads however.

Alkaline is just being an ass... he won't be the last in this thread.

gkryhewy

davepoobond said:
seems like if they put the same BC the 80gb had in a new model, it'd sell very briskly.

Assuming they subsequently announced that it was a limited edition.

This particular musings thread should be much more palatable to the usual suspects :lol . I might take advantage of the $40 gift card deal, but I really want BC and a DS3.

Phantast2k said:

It's been publicly debunked probably hundreds of times at this point.

Agent Icebeezy said:

GTA.jpg

Jammy

Banned
Good job with this thread. Keep it up. It's always interesting to see what's going around in retail, especially during and after the holiday periods. These musings were pretty much spot-on with the NPD numbers for January, so I don't see why there are still people bitching. Thanks for doing this.

tanod

when is my burrito
I posted this in last week's thread.

Stopped in my local Best Buy. Saw a good number of 40GB PS3s, no 80GB PS3s, no Wiis, no Pro or Elite 360s. 2-3 arcade 360s and around 8 Halo 360s.

As far as software, the only copy of DMC4 I could find on PS3 was a single copy of the Collector's edition.

BTW, can't we just do a February, March, etc. retail thread. Altered Beast can just post once a week. I don't think there needs to be a thread for every week.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GameStop - Oklahoma

Wii - Still getting calls, still not getting many shipments.

360 - We got 3 elites in during one day that I worked. Supply is still dangerously low here. One of the folks that bought an elite called us in advance, later told us when he was picking it up that we were the only store in town with one.

PS3 - I think we have a couple 40GB units. Our 80GB units have been sold out for several weeks. Seemed like some people are right now waiting for the new SKU with BC.

DS - We were sold out of every color except the cobalt/black this week. Doesn't seem like too many people are picking up the new color.

PSP - Now fully back in stock, but we have a lot more standalones than Daxter bundles.

Other - Still low in stock on used systems. New PS2's don't seem to be moving.

Software - I worked Wednesday night, but not too many people came in for the new releases. We had about 5 preorders for Lost Odyssey but we didn't really have any walk ins that night. I think the game will perform better than Blue Dragon did. Didn't really have anybody come in for Layton or Wipeout. Nobody bought the other junk either. Oddly enough though, we got 2 copies of Jumper for the Wii but only 1 for the 360. I was expecting the opposite.

Preorders - I only got two preorders this week, and both from the same person. One for Brawl and the other for the GTA4:LE. He actually almost picked Dynasty Warriors over GTA.

_Alkaline_ said:
Why the hell are these threads still being posted?

The January retail musings threads told everybody about the shortages of that month. It's a nice way to gather some trends. If you don't like them, you don't have to click on them.

tanod said:

BTW, can't we just do a February, March, etc. retail thread. Altered Beast can just post once a week. I don't think there needs to be a thread for every week.

These threads always generate several pages of responses. I'd much rather have a weekly one get started than have to constantly check some monthly one to see if AB posted again.

WarLox

we have 50 Elites coming in at the begining of the week. 16 Pros came in on Friday, with another 16 expected by Wednesday. The 16 were unloaded off the truck by 8pm, we had 6 left by 9:30. 2 of which were PRP exchanges from broken systems :lol . Our district just got 2600 Wiis in, but they are only sending each store 24 :( . We are out of 80g PS3s, and the 40g is selling "ok".

edit: also

We are competely out of Arcade and Halo units, but we still have the halo $129 edition from launch... lots of them. A small shippment of LO came in on Wednesday (25), and about 6 was quickly purchased by employees.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
sionyboy said:
If GDC comes and goes and there is an announcement from MS about a new SKU then damn.... they really are stupid.

Fixed.

Narag

tanod said:
I posted this in last week's thread.

Stopped in my local Best Buy. Saw a good number of 40GB PS3s, no 80GB PS3s, no Wiis, no Pro or Elite 360s. 2-3 arcade 360s and around 8 Halo 360s.

As far as software, the only copy of DMC4 I could find on PS3 was a single copy of the Collector's edition.

I like weekly. Higher profile releases would get lost in later pages.

Zophar

I like these threads. When I go into game stores I like to ask them "how's X or Y selling?" so this answers things for me without looking like a loser.

stotch

Banned
JJConrad said:
Not really ... although AB did pretty well in the prediction threads... if you went strictly from these musings you have to think that PS3 was way out infront of everything because there were absolutely no Wiis or 360s availible. Turned out, everything was close to even, shortages had an effect but weren't extreme and Wii still came out on top. They are interesting reads however.

Alkaline is just being an ass... he won't be the last in this thread.

PS3 had to beat Pachter/GAF estimates to get to 290k and thus make it even with the wii. So it's still a big boost that the Musings thread called.

tanod said:

Why does there have to be weekly PSN threads? Can't you do a monthly one and post in it every week?

WarLox said:
we have 50 Elites coming in at the begining of the week. 16 Pros came in on Friday, with another 16 expected by Wednesday.

About fucking time. The gross incompetence displayed by MS' hardware management is stunning. Seriously, what a bunch of monkeys.

Grecco

Does anybody know if Gamestop has told its workers that a new PS3 SKU is coming?

Ive been to two different stores and both are sold out of 80gigs, have 40gigs but claim a 120gig is coming.

tanod

when is my burrito
fistfulofmetal said:
Why does there have to be weekly PSN threads? Can't you do a monthly one and post in it every week?

:p

Can Altered Beast at least put a link in his OPs to previous threads. NPD only gets published once a month.

Also, the musings thread didn't at all predict that the PS3 would be outselling the 360. It did demonstrate the 360 stock issues.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
My local Best Buy got some copies of Endless Ocean in this week and I finally got to pick it up. :D

Why would people want these threads to go away, when the massive shortages reported by altered and others foreshadowed the January NPD so well?

tanod said:
Also, the musings thread didn't at all predict that the PS3 would be outselling the 360. It did demonstrate the 360 stock issues.

Of course it did. "We got no Wiis. We got no 360s. PS3s are in stock, we sold 3."

This is the 2nd week in a row that you had the PS3 ver. of DMC4 selling out, yet the 360 version not so much.

Does the "ps3 ver. selling more trend' hold true for other gamestore staffers?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Phantast2k said:

That idea might fly if you're thinking they would put it in the elite, but to think they would RAISE the price of the pro, is retarded. There's no other way to get the HD-DVD drive in the system without increasing price. So, that doesn't explain the pro shortage. Furthermore, HD-DVD drives don't do 12X DVD. Since GAMES need a 12X DVD drive, how the hell does this stupid idea continue?

WarLox

C- Warrior said:
This is the 2nd week in a row that you had the PS3 ver. of DMC4 selling out, yet the 360 version not so much.

Does the "ps3 ver. selling more trend' hold true for other gamestore staffers?

we "sold out" of PS3 DMC4 but not the 360, but thats only because we got about 4X (yes 4) as many copies of the 360 version than the PS3 one.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
we got twice as many dmc4's in on the 360 than on PS3, but ps3 has been outselling the 360 version in my district by quite a bit.

Elios83

Guy Legend said:
GTFO.

PS3 backwards compatibility FTW. The new sku better have this.

IMO it won't because it's clear that they have abandoned production of the old motherboard and are only producing the new one.
120GB+Dual Shock3 and 40GB motherboard+ 50$ price cut on both models in March/April could be their strategy.
Maybe they're working on a software solution which will provide compatibility with a limited catalogue which they could make also available on the PSN (it fits with the latest rumors).

Top Bottom