• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 sells 2 million worldwide

Yama

Great news. I'm interested in the console breakdowns.

GameSpot said:
Devil May Cry 4 sells 2 million

Capcom's decision to take its demonic action game multiplatform pays off as it becomes the series' fastest-selling installment yet.

By Dan Chiappini, Tor Thorsen, GameSpot AU
Posted Feb 20, 2008 2:35 am ET

When Capcom announced Devil May Cry 4 was going multiplatform last year, PlayStation loyalists decried the move as a betrayal. Since its launch in 2001 with the original Devil May Cry, the franchise had only appeared on the PlayStation 2 with the fourth installment originally announced as a PS3 exclusive.

However, the Japanese's publisher's decision to release its demon-slaying game on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 has paid off. Today, Capcom announced that since its release in the US and Europe earlier this month and in Japan in January, Devil May Cry 4 has sold over 2 million units worldwide.

DMC4's rapid success makes the game the fastest-selling installment in the seven-year-old series. It also accounts for just under a quarter of the entire franchise's total of 9 million units in sales, according to Capcom. The well-reviewed game's haul is also poised to increase later this year, when DMC4 is released on the PC.

CAPCOM Press Release:
http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e080220.html

nero2.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Should be noted that the release says "shipped" and not "sold." Also, I do agree with the PS3 version probably having the sales edge.

bluheim

Banned
dfyb said:
i'd still be suprised if ps3 version outsells 360 version.

Well, it ousold the 360 version by more than 200 000 units in Japan and it is outselling it in every european country but UK.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
This is great news for Capcom. おめでとう~

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This is definitely one of those few games that could have a win-win situation from multi-platform benefits. Capcom ARE WINNAR!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yama said:
Streak 2 (MAX Exceed)

You can do it without using MAX Exceed if you let one of those winged Knights (the "boss" of the group) throw its energy attack at the other knights as you attack them. I know it because I got it twice with Nero in that section of the game... both times it was all a matter of luck :D (still, I had not used the Rev ability in either moment nor I had purchased any enhancements to the Rev ability such as the L2+Triangle trick for instant Rev-ing).

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
sinnergy said:
:lol

Anyway Capgod are the smartest Japan devs around, their framework engine is a big money making wonder.

Yep that shit be godly now if only they could of got that shit on par for Lost Planet I would of been interested in buying it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Panajev2001a said:
You can do it without using MAX Exceed if you let one of those winged Knights (the "boss" of the group) throw its energy attack at the other knights as you attack them. I know it because I got it twice with Nero in that section of the game... both times it was all a matter of luck :D (still, I had not used the Rev ability in either moment nor I had purchased any enhancements to the Rev ability such as the L2+Triangle trick for instant Rev-ing).

You can also buster it right back at them.

dTau

Banned
Just goes to show how stupid Capcom was do make Dead Rising and Lost Planet exclusives. And if the rumors are true that RE5 is 360 exclusive Capcom will look even more stupid.

Pein

Banned
Aaron said:
Other than the visuals, what aspect of the game couldn't have been done on the PS2? I think that's his point.

from wiki
Itsuno said in the Famitsu article that the actions of Nero's Devil Bringer could not be done on then-current generation consoles

Zzoram

dTau said:
Just goes to show how stupid Capcom was do make Dead Rising and Lost Planet exclusives. And if the rumors are true that RE5 is 360 exclusive Capcom will look even more stupid.

joke account?

bluheim

Banned
Aaron said:
Other than the visuals, what aspect of the game couldn't have been done on the PS2? I think that's his point.

Exactly. I was waiting destructible environments, interactions with surrounding objects (like in Heavenly Sword where tou can throw abouth anything, but better implemented), procedural animations, that kind of thing. When I tried the demo, I felt like I was playing a PS2 game with high-res graphics.

f@luS

More than a member.
My guess

-ps3
Japan : 270K
EU : 450k
USA : 330K

-X360
Japan : 50K
EU : 350k
USA : 550K

:D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
However you look at it's is nothing but good man, hopefully this makes them put even more effort on RE5. I just wish they had a heart and make Mega Man Legends 3.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Aaron said:
I don't think the PS2 version of DMC3 was 60fps locked. I don't think DMC4 is either. Vsync has a really distinct look (think CoD4).

So the graphics can affect gameplay, as far as the framerate effects gameplay.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
f@luS said:
My guess

-ps3
Japan : 270K
EU : 450k
USA : 330K

-X360
Japan : 50K
EU : 350k
USA : 550K

:D

Yeah that is what I also think same ballpark. Unless the shit hits the fan!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lobster said:
I always thought it always sold well. Actually wasn't it one of Ps2s heavy hitters?

Well, IIRC DMC3 sold around 1.5 million on a 100+million PS2 install base if that means anything.

Danielsan

Even though DMC4 did not entirely meet my expectations this is still great news. Now start working on DMC5 and this time I want some real changes!

Uncle AJ

You do the "move" in that gif by attacking the blue orb just before the knight throws it. I pulled it off with a single Charge Shot.

Top Bottom