• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 sells 2 million worldwide

Excellent news, this game deserves it.

I am surprised at how many didn't know you can deflect the ball of energy back at the knights. There are a ton of things Nero can buster back at enemies and bosses.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Yama said:
nero2.gif
Well then, I know what my next upgrade will be

dr3upmushroom said:
Outside of the visuals, this game could have been done on last gen hardware.

Except going fast and looking good my old Volvo can do anything a BMW can. :lol

And grats to DMC4. Great game and deserves sales.

Mo the Hawk said:
Can, opened..... worms, everywhere.....

I didn't touch the can man. All I'm saying is that saying "oh this game could be done last gen besides the graphics" is silly and also a sad attempt at trying to downplay a game.

You can say that for almost any game.

Nuclear Muffin said:
How can you do that Yana, please tell me!!!

When there is the 'leader knight' -- he;ll snap his fingers and get the lesser knights in attack position, and they'll charge up a huge blue energy ball.

Simply reflect that energy ball back at them for an immediat insta-kill SSS rank.

A lvl 1 charged shot timed relatively well (it's not that hard) is the easiest method.

Then a exceed level 2 streak (what you saw on the gif.) would work, although again, it's a lot easier to press and hold X (or square - ps3) for a second or two and release.

Hunahan

Banned
It's amazing that more companies aren't catching on to this whole "post-Christmas" release window that Capcom quickly seems to be monopolizing. They seem to single-handedly be dispelling the myth that you can only sell well after Thanksgiving.

Also, it will be interesting to see if more Japanese developers start to take note of the benefit to bottom line that multi-platform is obviously delivering here.

Capcom just keeps rolling out the hits...it can't go unnoticed forever.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Sweet Jesus. I did not expect these numbers this soon. My goodness. DMC5 better get the time and attention it rightfully deserves.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Has a DMC game ever been released worldwide simultaneously? I mean, no wonder DMC4 it's "the fastest game in the DMC series to reach that milestone"

Zaptruder

Banned
As a sidenote. Capgod, I'd rebuy a special edition that included Trish and Lady as playable characters.

and I'd pay $10 bucks for a playable Vergil character. Who cares if its not sequitir. Do it. You like money, and given the right circumstances, we wanna chuck it at you!

TTP said:
Has a DMC game ever been released worldwide simultaneously? I mean, no wonder DMC4 it's "the fastest game in the DMC series to reach that milestone"

Not entirely, although all the releases have been relatively close together. DMC4 however did the best job on a near simultaneous release, 1/31, 2/5 and 2/8.

Zaptruder said:
As a sidenote. Capgod, I'd rebuy a special edition that included Trish and Lady as playable characters.

and I'd pay $10 bucks for a playable Vergil character. Who cares if its not sequitir. Do it. You like money, and given the right circumstances, we wanna chuck it at you!

2 million sold capcom, give us some free DLC, for fucks sake just give us DLC, free or not.

Prine

Banned
Doesnt matter what console SW sold more, all that matters is Capcom is making money from high budget gaming.

So more to come, well doen Capcom.

jarrod

Banned
Capcom wins! :D

Nice that they've exceeded expactations already... actually, every major Capcom game this gen has exceeded expectations (Dead Rising, Lost Planet, RE4 Wii, REUC) keep it going guys!

Majmun

Bought the Ps3 version yesterday.
Can't wait to play this baby! I already installed the game lol.

DMC 5 kinda confirmed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oneself said:
or add a "skip scene" feature as in Alone in the Dark to cut useless backtracking. ;P
:lol

Draft

Capcom is the greatest developer of all time.

And unlike another shipped press release that we recently saw, I'm willing to bet most of those 2 million copies are in peoples hands rather than Best Buy warehouses.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bluheim said:
Exactly. I was waiting destructible environments, interactions with surrounding objects (like in Heavenly Sword where tou can throw abouth anything, but better implemented), procedural animations, that kind of thing. When I tried the demo, I felt like I was playing a PS2 game with high-res graphics.
You know what? There's nothing wrong with that. We don't NEED every single game to innovate. The technology in this case has simply allowed for a more polished DMC experience.

It's the same with the Wii. I strongly believe that motion controls should not be used in every game. It simply isn't necessary. Even huge titles like Smash Brothers Brawl really don't need it (and I don't believe it requires it either, as you can use the GC controller).

With DMC4, Capcom clearly decided to make the most polished "classic" DMC game they could.

I thought it was overhyped. Enviroments are too damn repetitive. The platforming was bad.
Environments repetitive? There are so many unique areas you get to visit in the game. Sure, you end up returning to them at various points, but I don't see why that would be a real issue. Repetitive environments would be something like those in FEAR where you basically spend the entire game moving through corridors and rooms that look very much the same.

burgerdog

It's extremely easy to reflect the orb back at them with a charged shot with nero. You could suck ass with your timing and still get it. Just shoot wheneve they have released it and collect your SSS achievement if you don't already have it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lince said:
or the terrible slowdown altogether
Eh?

The shadows are poor, yes, but you have to consider what is being rendered. You have fairly complex environments, high quality HDR lighting and tone mapping, fully dynamic shadows on all scenery and characters, and a framerate of 60 fps (with very minor drops here and there, not terrible slowdown).

Shadows are demanding and it's pretty clear that they would have been unable to render the game at 60 fps with high quality shadows enabled during that scene. Despite their resolution, it still manages to create a nice atmosphere. Without those shadows, the scene would look much less impressive and feel rather dull.

Top Bottom