• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's discuss why Ninja Gaiden DS (apparently) is a MASSIVE FLOP

It was reported that in Japan, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword sold a measly 6,100 units its first day, and it failed to get in the Top 30 sales charts for the week it was released. That's pathetic.

In America, I only have anecdotal evidence at this point. My Best Buy store got 72 copies when the game launched. Since that time we have only sold 2, meaning that we have a whopping 70 copies collecting dust on the sales floor. Out of 10 Best Buy stores in my district, only one other location has sold a copy at all.

If you have any evidence that supports or goes against NG on the DS bombing, please post it.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is: Why did it flop? Even our official GAF topic is pretty meager.

I don't think we can blame it on reviews, they put the game at a respectable 85%.

Does the DS just not have the demographic that could support this title? The PSP is the portable targeted at males ages 10 and up, and Chains of Olympus is doing quite well, was the decision to put Ninja Gaiden on the DS a death sentence? If people who enjoyed the Mature rated Ninja Gaiden on a console own a portable, are the odds overwhelmingly in favor of that portable being a PSP?

Was it not properly advertised? Did anyone actually see any of these commercials on TV? Best Buy had it in the national Sunday flier this week and we have to keep large poster for the game in the video game section from the middle of March to the middle of April.

Is it the $35 price point, typical reserved only for Nintendo first party titles? The Teen rating? The stigma of Ninja Gaiden games being hard (even though this one is not)? Word spreading that it was "too short"? Help me out here, GAF.

Archaon

I think it's just not a very handheld-friendly game. If I want a hardcore action game then I'll play it on the big screen, whereas my handheld is better for small bites of content at a time.

Narag

I'd say price point is a big thing as would people being tenative with anything stylus only.
It really is an amazing game and its sad it isn't getting more love.

Here's hoping for a slow burn.
In before R4 talk too.

Archaon said:
I think it's just not a very handheld-friendly game. If I want a hardcore action game then I'll play it on the big screen, whereas my handheld is better for small bites of content at a time.

Suprisingly, it is. Its broken into shorter missions, there's multiple save points, and the DS sleep function is a godsend.

mjc

I honestly don't know, but something isn't adding up. We all know the DS has sold more units over there than the Bible, plus NG is a pretty standard staple in their gaming culture right?

Skilletor

As die-hard Ninja Gaiden fan, I just couldn't stand how imprecise the stylus controls were. I played through the first two missions before I decided that I couldn't convince myself that I liked it because it was Ninja Gaiden. It's cool that they tried, but it wasn't the Ninja Gaiden I wanted.

Mamesj

Banned
Symytry said:
5 hours isn't nearly enough to warrant $35

see->
Chains of Olympus is doing quite well

on topic, I just don't know Master Ninja, I just don't know. It wasn't for lack of quality, it seems to have been advertised as much as any Team Ninja game, and it had the good reviews to back it up. On top of that, most people who have played it, like it. Or they bitch about how easy it is until they get to hard mode.

Skilletor said:
As die-hard Ninja Gaiden fan, I just couldn't stand how imprecise the stylus controls were. I played through the first two missions before I decided that I couldn't convince myself that I liked it because it was Ninja Gaiden. It's cool that they tried, but it wasn't the Ninja Gaiden I wanted.

you played two missions before you decided the controls didn't work? WOW. you're dropping the ball here. Go back and give it some more time.

botticus

I'd guess price. I'm glad I decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot because it's amazing, but if I'm hesitant, you can be sure there are far more people that won't even look at it at $35.

Who knows, maybe we'll find out Best Buy/your district isn't respresentative of the rest of the country and it did respectable numbers?

donny2112

a Master Ninja said:
It was reported that in Japan, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword sold a measly 6,100 units its first day, and it failed to get in the Top 30 sales charts for the week it was released.

Actually that was the first week total.

As for the U.S., I'm waiting for a price drop/sale to get for $25 or less.

a Master Ninja said:
What I'm trying to wrap my head around is: Why did it flop?

Price is one possibility. It was even priced like a Wii game in Japan, IIRC.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I also think, most people who buy DS games are the casual market and kids. Really, look at the last few "core" game releases on the DS and you'll see they didn't fair so well. (My examples include Final Fantasy 12 RW, Advanced Wars, etc).

Skilletor

Mamesj said:
you played two missions before you decided the controls didn't work? WOW. you're dropping the ball here. Go back and give it some more time.

I don't like trying to force myself to like something. It wasn't enjoyable or fun (for me), so I stopped.

SpokkX

Skilletor said:

well I love NG and have played the Xbox/PS3-versions about 100 hours.. it was only after 2 hours (half the game) that I really "got" the controls and they are really great-..

2 chapters.. thats really nothing

anyway on topic sad to see this game flop, it is amazing

jvalioli

I see a ton of game commercials on TV but never saw one for this at all. Never saw any promotional posters in stores either. If it weren't for the GAF thread, I wouldn't have known that it came out.

mjc said:
I honestly don't know, but something isn't adding up. We all know the DS has sold more units over there than the Bible, plus NG is a pretty standard staple in their gaming culture right?
Denko mentioned that it could be naming... Ninja Gaiden in Japan was originally called Ninja Ryuukenden, but the DS game is using NG.

Slavik81

It's unappealing to me as a console game on a handheld. Of course, I have no interest in God of War PSP for that same reason as well, so clearly this isn't something that can explain it away.

I've also seen no marketing for this game, although I don't watch TV or read newspapers or game magazines or... uhh... anything that anyone advertises games on...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
1.) many DS games flop
2.) There is no preexisting fanbase for Ninja Gaiden on the DS
3.) Very little hype was built up

When you look at those 3 combined, there was no way the game was going to be a hit, sadly

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
yamaneko said:
NG DS

is cool

but

GOW CoO is more impressive and

better

You got a point I think the fact that they released it in the DS looking like a Hardcore game might of hurt it.

botticus

Kagari said:
I also think, most people who buy DS games are the casual market and kids. Really, look at the last few "core" game releases on the DS and you'll see they didn't fair so well. (My examples include Final Fantasy 12 RW, Advanced Wars, etc).
If it does those kinds of numbers... that's not bad at all.

AdamBot

Because nobody wants to control a ninja with a stylus. Seriously, stylus control for a fast-paced action game? Come on, that's just unsatisfying and stupid.

Advertising for sure. If I wasn't an avid gamer, reading the news and stuff, I wouldn't know it even existed.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I think it's because people think it's a cheap outsourced cash-in for kids. That's what i thought it was until I collected some info here and red some impressions (and I'm still not fully convinced :lol ). Also, touch controls make me extremely wary.

jjasper

I have yet to see the commercial on TV. For comparison sake the God of War commercial comes on ESPN all the time.

sneaky77

I don't think is the style of game that the DS crowd wants, I can play Ninja Gaiden on my 360, or similar games on ps2, xbox..

Mamesj

Banned
6.8 said:
Advertising for sure. If I wasn't an avid gamer, reading the news and stuff, I wouldn't know it even existed.

I kinda feel the same way about all the other Ninja Gaiden + Dead or Alive games, but they do well.

Maybe the DS was just too strange of a choice for this one.

AdamBot said:
Because nobody wants to control a ninja with a stylus. Seriously, stylus control for a fast-paced action game? Come on, that's just unsatisfying and stupid.

As much as I doubt you've actually played it, your opinion might reflect the masses.

There seems to be hate on gaf towards anything team ninja does though...

Archaon

Narag said:
Suprisingly, it is. Its broken into shorter missions, there's multiple save points, and the DS sleep function is a godsend.
It would be better for me to say the perception of not being very handheld friendly has hurt its sales then.

I also agree that this game is kind of contrary to the way that the DS is marketed as a casual-friendly system. It's similar to the Wii in that if your game isn't either published by Nintendo or designed for casual gamers then its chance of success falls greatly.

Narag

Regarding Japan, someone posted in the MC thread that its likely it suffered due to the name. Ninja Gaiden was its JP release name but it has no obvious connection to Ninja Ryūkenden which could mean fans of the original never give it a look.

a Master Ninja said:
So you guys really think it's the controls?

Not necessarily the controls but the apprehension towards it. It controls fantastically as its stylus implementation is a bit of genius I'd like to see other games use.

Feep

Banned
AdamBot said:
This.

I saw this game and while it grabbed my eye I didn't pick it up since I thought I'd be a cheap cash-in of the franchise. Looking at the ign video review I can see that it's a really impressive game on the DS.

I think the main reason it's not doing so well is:

a. it's not an established franchise for the typical nintendo audience. the main games are on non-nintendo consoles and thus this would be an introuduction for many nintendo-only gamers

b. lack of marketing. nintendo can get away with this since their games sell themselves on their platforms but third parties have to work overtime to get the same kind of attention. this fals on the shoulders of the game promoters.

c. it's skewes to an older audience and as such it won't be the DS audience first choice. (I picked up Lego SW saga for DS instead). mainstream gamers (DS audience) will go for what's tried and true and when faced with a choice they will choose the familiar to the unknown.

having said this, i'll make sure to pick it up sometime.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
a Master Ninja said:
So you guys really think it's the controls?

The masses don't know a thing about the controls, in fact the masses probably don't know or care a thing about this game. Which is the real problem

Terrible marketing? In the UK Chains of Olympus more or less is a flop. It came in at 20, which is horrible for a game with such hype. But I am not surprised as there has been hardly any marketing. I have yet to see a single TV placement. Probably the same with Ninja Gaiden DS in the US.

I personally am going to avoid the game. I am not a fan of the whole hold your DS like a book gameplay.

shifty100

Banned
Girls / Casuals don't buy games like Ninja Gaiden ......... success of nintendogs and the Hannah Montana games are a testament to what the majority of the DS userbase consists.

Dyno

I don't think a consumer would know about it unless they came to a site like this one.

I was in a store today, no ads.

Mirimar

I think people are waiting for the awesomeness that is Etrian Odyssey II, thus the reason for this floppage.

I'm a little burnt out on the DS, personally. I love the system, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for that type of gaming. The pricing of DS games is certainly a factor as well.

Mamesj

Banned
shifty100 said:
Girls / Casuals don't buy games like Ninja Gaiden ......... success of nintendogs and the Hannah Montana games are a testament to what the majority of the DS userbase consists.

is this a joke or is the situation that dire on the DS? :lol
I've never really paid attention to sales and trends with the DS.

Top Bottom