• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I would try the logoff thing anyway, it makes sense to me considering PS3 servers for the game are down. Try it anyway!

Dunlop

06 model 360, no problems online or offline whatsoever....yet (3 hours in)

I find it disturbing that R* still is unable to isolate the problem

_RT_

ggnoobIGN said:
I completely disabled my internet and nothing.
How the fuck did the miss this?
I'm on my fourth freeze. Usually at the end of a mission when I wonder if there is some attempt to upload stats or something.

Zeenbor

Arg... crashing with a launch 60 GB during the cutscene in multiple places (when the guy is looking at the diamond and on a second attempt just before you get to drive).

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!! It's the last time I EVER buy a PS3 multi-platform release. FUCKITY FUCK FUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCK!!!!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe it crashes on connection attempt, whether you are connected or not.

Played it tonight for about a couple hours on a 60G that I purchased last June. No real problems/hiccups, but it seems a lot of the issues come from saving and then loading up a game, and then the freezing begins. Patch tomorrow?

AkuMifune

Banned
This whole things is troubling, and I'm gonna sweat my nuts off until I get my copy later this week. Shouldn't we have a checklist for this stuff? Such as:

PS3/360 Model:
Harddrive Size:
Upgraded?:
Firmware:
# of Accounts Registered on Machine:
Logged in to PSN/XBL?:

?

There has to be some common problem, even if we take it down to the chipset, right?

jaaz

TheJollyCorner said:
HOLY SHIT IT'S WORKING!

unplugged my ethernet cable!

*knocks on wood* will continue to update

Good to hear. *crosses gingers*

People who are having issues, don't just log off PSN, unplug the ethernet cable or disable the wireless internet connection. That will prevent the PS3 from attempting to sign in when the game tries to upload something (whether stats, etc.)

dfyb

Banned
i've only had one crash so far... and it was while i was browsing the in-game internet :lol

other than that, no problems

ggnoobIGN

Banned
PS3/360 Model: 60GB launch
Upgraded?: No
Firmware: The latest
# of Accounts Registered on Machine: 2
Logged in to PSN/XBL?: Tried both ways on PS3

FirewalkR

As I said before, it only happened to me while online, though obviously I don't know if it's just a coincidence, since I only played for some hours.

When I first started and installed the game, I was offline on PSN (ethernet was connected but auto-login is off). I played for some time with no problems until I clicked Multiplayer and went online on PSN. After a while it froze during a mission when I went to the map. I rebooted, went online again before starting the game, and after a while it froze during a cutscene, audio kept working until I rebooted and I don't know if it would have frozen completely if I'd left it running. After that I played offline for some hours, with no problems at all. Only awesomeness.

Ok, for those of you who got it working through disabling connecting to PSN, was your crash during the intro cinema or at some point during gameplay?

Tortfeasor

Launch PS3, 60 gig.

One 3-4 sec freeze/hiccup while driving from the ship to the apartment in the first mission, but nothing since. Played for just a few hours.

Zeenbor

God hates me. He truly does. Now it crashes when I go into cousin's apartment cinematic, even AFTER disabling/unplugging my net connection. WHY?!!?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?! WHY!!!!!!!!! AARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

dkeane

Just got a freeze, the pop up is bad and frame rate all over the place. Hope there isn't something wrong with my PS3. I've been enjoying the game for about 2 hours now but the technical glitches are atrocious.

Marty Chinn said:
Ok, for those of you who got it working through disabling connecting to PSN, was your crash during the intro cinema or at some point during gameplay?

intro, unless I skipped it... then it would crash as I was driving to Roman's.

after disabling the ethernet connection, I got to Roman's, made it through that scene, and when it came time to move Nico I couldn't. I could toggle the camera and go into my options screen, but I couldn't move him. Eventually it froze all together.

Maybe the network is a clue to what's going on. We might not be able to fix it, but maybe Rockstar might have to look in the area of the network code.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar
Fuck you RockStar

theBishop

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
but it allowed some progress to be made, man! I got to see Roman's shitty apartment! :D

yeah, i just "Quick" formatted my PS3 and the cutscene got further than ever before. Coincidence?

1 360 crash a few hours into the game, but that was while trying to join a match and it just took forever to join. No problems since.

This is so incredibly lame though. I hope Rockstar can fix this via patch. This is just ridiculous though. I mean...honestly. Rockstar HAS to offer...SOMETHING. Anything. I mean I'd be beyond pissed if this happened to me.

Edit: Holy shit lets not forget that this series isn't exactly know for fucking multiplayer.

There have to be a ton of guys out there without access to internet who can't get the patch :O

Zeenbor

This is inexcusable. I've spent thousands to get a new TV, sound system, couch, etc. in preparation for TODAY and now I'm sitting here wanting to kill ANYTHING.

Sure, I've seen games that had a bug where if you do a certain circumstance you might not be able to complete the game (*cough* PoP2), but to NOT EVEN GET TO GET PAST THE OPENING CINEMATIC (or the next cinematic) is truly, TRULY a major fuck up. This game better be the fucking second coming of Christ, because if it's not -- FUCK GAMING. Just fuck it.

That being said, I'm going to try variations to get it running but this is JUST RIDICULOUS AND A WASTE OF TIME.

Jaeyden

distrbnce said:
Mine has been running non-stop since I got home after the midnight launch.

PS3 60GB (Got it a year after launch and it's been sent in 'cause it was hit by lightning)

And this is OT, but my PS3 sends a horrible buzzing sound through my TVs speakers and there's a light bar that slowly scrolls up the screen.

It's either my PS3, the 3rd party Component cable (with 360 and Wii plugs attached) or dirty power from the wall. I'm getting HDMI soon, hopefully that will cure it.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=844938

I'm pretty sure you can solve that by cutting the 3rd prong off of your plugstrip or by buying a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter.

bumpkin

Quazar said:
Nothing wrong yet but my 360 disc drive is going crazy.
It did the same in mine when I first loaded the game up, but it was fine once I actually started playing. That initial load is a bitch apparently.

fusoya59

I know this may sound silly, but try moving your console to another location (perhaps a cooler area?) and then try to run the game.

You never know...

Zeenbor

fusoya59 said:
I know this may sound silly, but try moving your console to another location (perhaps a cooler area?) and then try to run the game.

You never know...

Mine is in a completely open airway and I've dusted it in preparation. Besides, all other PS3 games work perfectly.

This is either the game code, an error with the data printed on disc, or something truly fucked up with the PS3 architecture and discrepancies between certain model numbers.

fusoya59 said:

You never know...

Im 99% sure thats not the problem.

css5tips3.jpg

Truespeed

I think we're onto something here. The game needs connectivity in certain parts and no connectivity in others. Now, all we need to do is create a schedule of when Internet connectivity is needed and when it's not. Once we have this schedule created we can connect and disconnect at the specified times, thus, ensuring a non crash laden gaming session. Remember, this is all part of the GTA IV experience.

Jaeyden said:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=844938

I'm pretty sure you can solve that by cutting the 3rd prong off of your plugstrip or by buying a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter.

Bad, bad, bad advice. Never cut the ground off your power cables, it's there for a reason. Namely, to prevent yourself from getting shocked to death and/or setting fire to your home in the case of a short.

The solution is to connect to a different power circuit that doesn't fucking suck. Then make sure your PS3, speakers and TV are on the same circuit. What you have is called a ground loop. Look it up, the internet is your friend.

Top Bottom