• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Alright. I got home, tried the same copy that couldn't get past the intro on my work PS3 on my home/near launch 60gb PS3. Just got through the intro and I'm playing with no problems. So far, smooth as butter. What the fuck?

It seems it IS a hardware and not a disc issue. Anyway I'm off to play some more. Thank God!

Truespeed

We need to remember that we're truly running some bad ass code on our systems. And sometimes this bad ass code doesn't behave or cooperate they way we want it to. Anyway, I've had no lockups yet. I alternate the position of my system from vertical to horizontal every 10 minutes. I've also turned off the heat in the house and placed 3 large fans in a triangular pattern around the system to ensure maximum cooling. I also have a vacuum on hand to suck up any dust that accumulates on the internal fans on standby.

Jaeyden

Don't know if this has been asked. Is anyone experiencing micro-freezing? Ever since the lockup now it will freeze for about 1/2 a second every few minutes. Tiny little pauses like it's going to crash but doesn't.......sigh.

jetjevons said:
Alright. I got home, tried the same copy that couldn't get past the intro on my work PS3 on my home/near launch 60gb PS3. Just got through the intro and I'm playing with no problems. So far, smooth as butter. What the fuck?

It seems it IS a hardware and not a disc issue. Anyway I'm off to play some more. Thank God!

well, at least you are finally able to play it.

...*walks off crying*

mrbagdt

ok, so i made a post earlier saying it wouldnt work, froze in the first cutscene, froze after the second cutscene... adn since then i have been playing fine for three hours. all i did was restart the game twice.

*boggle*

Future

60 gig here. Played for hours straight when first bought. Turned it on again, and it froze 2-3 minutes into gameplay after the initial load. After numerous restarts, it froze again for a few seconds..but somehow corrected itself and I was able to keep playing. Since then, it has repeated this a couple more times but never completely crashed again.

Problem area for me seems to be near the internet cafe near your apartment. I've seen the 4-5 second freeze (with audio still playing) while driving through there the most

vilmer_

Just had my first "freeze". I had been playing for about a half an hour or so and paused the game to watch a bit of sports. I switch back and the game was frozen on the pause screen.

bryehn

Jaeyden said:
Don't know if this has been asked. Is anyone experiencing micro-freezing? Ever since the lockup now it will freeze for about 1/2 a second every few minutes. Tiny little pauses like it's going to crash but doesn't.......sigh.

I've had a couple hitches now where it'll lock up for 3-10 seconds. Music keeps running though. I usually just hit the PS button and wait to hear the pause sound. Happened twice in my last ~2 hour session.

Mrbob

60GB PS3, bought Feb 07, locked up on me during the opening.

Exchanged it out for the 360 version. Please hold up 360 please.

Baker

Banned
Just got my second freeze while playing pool for the first time.

Going to turn the game off and see if there is any announcement tomorrow.

60GB here. I've had one lock up during the intro cutscene for First Date, the image froze while the dialogue played out until the end. I had to restart my machine.

I've played for hours without any other issues.

Chumly

Update from this morning:

My roomate returned his copy and got a new one and still doesnt work. We just had a friend who has a 40 gig come over and were currently playing it on that no problems so far.

ShowDog

These threads aren't terribly useful if the OP doesn't update the first post. 25-50% of the posts in these threads is bound to be bickering over trolling, so saving people from reading that crap with a running count of problems and solutions would be great.

distrbnce

Banned
Mine has been running non-stop since I got home after the midnight launch.

PS3 60GB (Got it a year after launch and it's been sent in 'cause it was hit by lightning)

And this is OT, but my PS3 sends a horrible buzzing sound through my TVs speakers and there's a light bar that slowly scrolls up the screen.

It's either my PS3, the 3rd party Component cable (with 360 and Wii plugs attached) or dirty power from the wall. I'm getting HDMI soon, hopefully that will cure it.

Ezza

I did a bunch more testing on the two PS3s here and pretty much didn't get anywhere. The two systems should have been identical except for one having an upgraded HD and the other stock. The one with the upgraded HD also has demos/game saves/movies/etc installed on it and it has multiple accounts. I stopped short of doing a a full PS3 restore since thats not even guaranteed to work.

So the one with the upgraded HD fails every time the one with the stock HD works every time. Yeah...

Wow this is incredibly concerning. Just the other day I was saying I'm not going to jump into this iteration unless they've cleaned up their quality control. Sounds like they really haven't.

People saying stuff like it's running crazy ass voodoo code so we should understand - do you remember MGS3 crashing on your PS2? That game should have fried the PS2. Same with RE4 GC. No crashes on those. I'm not giving rockstar a free pass again.

LowParry

I suppose the idea of bringing this home as a Gamefly purchase is a good thing. I'm at my 10% off although I'm still diving back into GTA since I haven't played since Vice. I really really hope they fixed these issues within the week. Surprized R* hasn't made any official statement on the issue.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Imm0rt4l said:
crashed 30 minutes in. week old 40gb pd3.

D'oh! I'm getting my 40gb PS3 and thought maybe I'd avoid the issue:p

/crosses fingers

CoG

Crashed once at the first cutscene, played for four hours straight and it was fine, then crashed when I quit the game (PS3 beeped three times and reset).

I played over 20 games on this PS3 and never had a game crash. Rockstar QC is shit.

EekTheKat

Mine's good - 60gb PS3 with an upgraded Hard Drive.

It had some studdering here and there during cutscenes, but it hasn't frozen up on me yet.

Forgot to add : it's a standard edition from Gamestop.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The fact it works on some systems and not on others is puzzling. Maybe it is just installing badly on some systems?

CoG said:
Crashed once at the first cutscene, played for four hours straight and it was fine, then crashed when I quit the game (PS3 beeped three times and reset).

I played over 20 games on this PS3 and never had a game crash. Rockstar QC is shit.

yeah, the only other problem I've had before was with Assassin's Creed for PS3. Freezing happened, but it wasn't common, although it was always game killing/hard-restart necessary.

I was still able to play hours of that game at a time. GTA4, no more than 40 seconds. I even tried to kill myself in the game in 40 seconds and it didn't help. :lol

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
My first and only crash (so far) came about 9 hours in. Since then I had one 3 second freeze/stutter while driving and a 20 second one.

FirewalkR said:
I only had two freezes (PS3 PAL 60GB), and I was online on PSN on both occasions. Anyone had it freeze while offline?

one site who's name shall not be spoken has a poster who claims that this issue can be resolved by logging off the PSN, since evidently the game constantly sends stats to Rockstar Social Club and for god knows what reason it's borking some PS3 systems. Various other posters who have had fatal freezing issues have claimed simply logging off PSN allows the game to work.

I haven't tried it yet, since my wife is hogging the TV watching some dumb bullshit.

CoG

It think it's obviously bad code. I've played lots and lots of games on this PS3, including installing and deleting demos over and over again. If it were my disk or hardware other games would have crashed. GTA4 crashed for me in the first 10 minutes.

The good news is if it's code, they can just patch it. The bad news is they don't seem to have a clue what's causing it.

adas said:
I did a bunch more testing on the two PS3s here and pretty much didn't get anywhere. The two systems should have been identical except for one having an upgraded HD and the other stock. The one with the upgraded HD also has demos/game saves/movies/etc installed on it and it has multiple accounts. I stopped short of doing a a full PS3 restore since thats not even guaranteed to work.

So the one with the upgraded HD fails every time the one with the stock HD works every time. Yeah...

Swap the drives between the two, and put the whole HDD has something to do with it question to bed.

I have a launch 60G PS3, played for 7+ hours, so far no freezes. But online is gone to hell, nothing works, I cant even check my online stats.

Ezza

Y2Kev said:
The fact it works on some systems and not on others is puzzling. Maybe it is just installing badly on some systems?

On the system I have that fails every time I was able to get it to install one time. I deleted that game data a while ago and since then it has not even reached the install screen once...many many attempts have crashed at the first text screen.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I've only had 360 GTA freeze when I plugged in my Ethernet cable to my computer (aka my internet router) mid cut scene. Even then, the audio kept going as usual, and the scene unfroze when I removed the ethernet cable. No problems for me otherwise.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TheJollyCorner said:
one site who's name shall not be spoken has a poster who claims that this issue can be resolved by logging off the PSN, since evidently the game constantly sends stats to Rockstar Social Club and for god knows what reason it's borking some PS3 systems. Various other posters who have had fatal freezing issues have claimed simply logging off PSN allows the game to work.

I haven't tried it yet, since my wife is hogging the TV watching some dumb bullshit.

TRY THAT PEOPLE

EDIT: Argh.

magus

I've been playing for about 6 hours on my launch 60gb ps3. No crashes thus far. Framerate and gameplay has been good.

Ezza

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Swap the drives between the two, and put the whole HDD has something to do with it question to bed.

I'm really hesitant to do this. Will the systems just accept the new drives and boot up as if nothing had happened?

I know these drives have some kind of special encryption on them that may or may not be system specific and losing the information on either one of them would be waaaay too much work.

TheJollyCorner said:

Has that even been working all day. My game doesn't even recognize that I am on PSN. When I check the stats it says I need to be logged into PSN but I am, I see the names of people logging on. Online mode doesn't work either.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
dreamer3kx said:
this was probably answered already but did you guys try deleting the gta game data file (3.4gig) then trying to install again?
According to the OP:

"- Deleting your install does not fix the problem
- Deleting both install and save file does not fix the problem"

Though I'm still trying it as we speak.

theBishop

Banned
ggnoobIGN said:
According to the OP:

"- Deleting your install does not fix the problem
- Deleting both install and save file does not fix the problem"

Though I'm still trying it as we speak.

My PS3 has 3 hours left on a "Full" format.

MiamiWesker said:
Has that even been working all day. My game doesn't even recognize that I am on PSN. When I check the stats it says I need to be logged into PSN but I am, I see the names of people logging on. Online mode doesn't work either.

that's what some posters said- since PSN/R* connection isn't working correctly, the system is constantly trying to contact R* online and screwing things up for some system configurations, causing fatal freezes.

again, I don't know if this is all gobbledygook or not, just figured it was worth mentioning at this point, since we have no solid answers yet.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Does anyone have Rockstar's Customer Service number on them? I know I won't get any answers, but if everyone complains maybe we'll get them to work a little quicker.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
voltron said:
So this is predominantly PS3's? Or are there some reports of 360s crashing too?
60GB launch PS3s seem to be the major culprit. However, there are still multiple reports of failure for every model, both 360 and PS3.

Top Bottom