• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RumFore

Banned
You know I was thinking of making a thread about what kind of aliments such as disk read errors, dead 360's, etc would plague GTA:IV but held of because of the many GTA threads.:lol

Baiano19 said:
When the (pontentially) best game of the generation arrives, this kind of shit happens...

Pathetic.

Seriously. Luckily this is not even remotely close to the best game of the generation. I refuse to believe it. There's got to be a Ueda game, a Mikami game, etc coming. Plus tons of newcomers like Katamari was last gen. I'm so glad that I checked GAF before picking this up today. I was even at the cash and a little voice told me to check GAF first because I can't trust Rockstar. No way should we be helping another Warrior Within fiasco.

There have been really ambitious games in the past that had ample amount QA. Previous 3D GTA games pissed me off with their QA as well, and the fact that people can't even get past opening sequences is just....wow.

Ocarina of Time, a crazy huge game for its time with insanely cool stuff going on had one bug in the game that slipped passed testers (that I know of). But you had to do something very, very specific in the first boss battle in the game and it triggered something several seconds later, making it very cryptic. One tiny bug! That is how you release a big title.

theBishop

Banned
JasoNsider said:
Seriously. Luckily this is not even remotely close to the best game of the generation. I refuse to believe it. I'm so glad that I checked GAF before picking this up today. I was even at the cash and a little voice told me to check GAF first because I can't trust Rockstar. No way should we be helping another Warrior Within fiasco.

There have been really ambitious games in the past that had ample amount QA. Previous 3D GTA games pissed me off with their QA as well, and the fact that people can't even get past opening sequences is just....wow.

Ocarina of Time, a crazy huge game for its time with insanely cool stuff going on had one bug in the game that slipped passed testers (that I know of). But you had to do something very, very specific in the first boss battle in the game and it triggered something several seconds later, making it very cryptic. One tiny bug! That is how you release a big title.

That "big title" would be a sub-$20 PSN download today. The scope of todays games cannot be compared to 10 years ago.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
theBishop said:
That "big title" would be a sub-$20 PSN download today. The scope of todays games cannot be compared to 10 years ago.
Wait, wait, wait. There is no scope here. It's the OPENING CUT SCENE!

theBishop said:

Sure it can. The complexity of the code on Ocarina of Time would have been immense. As a programmer I'd be willing to bet anything that coding the N64 to pump out stuff like Ocarina of Time, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc. would have been mind boggling. Metal Gear Solid releases are equally nuts. MGS3 was like voodoo, hardware melting code. GTA4 is not the first big game to ever release :p

Truespeed

JasoNsider said:
Seriously. Luckily this is not even remotely close to the best game of the generation. I refuse to believe it. There's got to be a Ueda game, a Mikami game, etc coming. Plus tons of newcomers like Katamari was last gen. I'm so glad that I checked GAF before picking this up today. I was even at the cash and a little voice told me to check GAF first because I can't trust Rockstar. No way should we be helping another Warrior Within fiasco.

To some extent, I agree with you. But, you're comparing chess to checkers. And a checkers grand master still gets no respect.

theBishop

Banned
When are we going to hear something official on this? I just want someone from Rockstar to tell me when I can play this coaster I waited out in the rain at midnight to buy.

thebishop has entered the Depression stage...

Zeenbor

UPDATE:

If you skip both cutscenes, it doesn't crash but you can't control Niko. I turned off my DualShock3, plugged in a SIXAXIS and I can play the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, turn OFF your Internet connection in the XMB to not crash in the opening cinematic.

Until the NEXT crash... Too bad I just missed all of that second cinematic.

Zeenbor said:
UPDATE:

If you skip both cutscenes, it doesn't crash but you can't control Niko. I turned off my DualShock3, plugged in a SIXAXIS and I can play the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, turn OFF your Internet connection in the XMB to not crash in the opening cinematic.

yup. same exact thing happened to me, although I was using the SIXAXIS all along.

Niko just stays in Roman's apartment. Guess he likes the decor that much.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Zeenbor said:
UPDATE:

Didn't work for me. :(

Truespeed said:
To some extent, I agree with you. But, you're comparing chess to checkers. And a checkers grand master still gets no respect.

How am I comparing checkers to chess? Both had big development teams, ambitious game design, etc. Zelda probably had more complicated coding (code does get a bit more "mordern" as the years go on). Really now, give credit where it's due. There's a reason Warrior Within is slammed so damn hard by gamers and it's not only because of the goth. The game was the buggiest "big release" possibly ever.

Rockstar deserves shit if they are releasing unfinished products.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My guess is that it's not something the QA team could have picked up. If this is so widespread, it would have been detected already or at least during TCR reviews. I'd guess it's internet-related, or a bad print. The later would be a huge huge huge fuck up:p

And it WOULD be nice to hear about people who haven't frozen yet who have a PS3. Could help.

Ether_Snake said:
My guess is that it's not something the QA team could have picked up. If this is so widespread, it would have been detected already or at least during TCR reviews. I'd guess it's internet-related, or a bad print. The later would be a huge huge huge fuck up:p

And it WOULD be nice to hear about people who haven't frozen yet who have a PS3. Could help.

bad print is just kind of bizarre. Various bad prints for both consoles going to various cities across the country and various countries around the world? Does this happen very often?

either way... it's shitty.

Ether_Snake said:

The fact that debug kits have witnessed this problem makes me wonder how it could have slipped though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Whatever the case, hopefully this is fixed by Friday because that's when I'll hook up my PS3.

Later!

Soroc

Router said:
My 360 version has locked up only once. During the
Uncle Vlad
mission.

Same here, haven't had a single other issue since and I'm about 11 hours in now.

Sorry to hear so many are having such problems :(

kiUNiT

Ether_Snake said:
:lol At the OP not mentioning the 360 version. This is ridiculous. It's a troll thread instead of a help thread.

Wow have you actually read the posts and noticed that it's about 99% PS3 version with the lockups?

Spooka

I've had 2 freezes while just driving around on the 360 version. Its a normal 360 sent back to me after my other one red ringed last august. I played for 3 hours last night no prob and two hours today with 2 freezes.

Doubt it has anything to do with it - but I was online last night(0 freezes) and today I've been offline(2 freezes). I'll plug my ethernet cable back in and see if I get any more freezes. This 360 has never crashed or frozen for the 6 months I've had it. But it is a 360 so it could self-destruct at any moment.

Zeenbor

Further update:

I'm FULLY able to play GTA4 now. I completed the first mission and now it auto-saved.

To re-iterate, the method I used to get GTA4 running is:

1. Turn off your Internet connection via XMB in PS3 OS.
2. Skip both cutscenes (intro and Roman's house intro). After this, you will not be able to control Niko.
3. Turn off your controller, then turn it on again. Press X to skip the text.
4. Another prompt will come up giving you tutorial information. But you will have no control. Repeat step 3.
5. Get the fuck out of Roman's house and go to the mission.
6. Complete the mission and the game will auto-save.

Docpan

Further update:

I now have a RRoD'd useless Xbox sitting here. I stood in line in the rain for 2 and a half hours, paid 90 dollars for the special edition, spent all day trying to figure out this locking up issue, and now my Xbox is broken.

Awesome. Fantastic.

I'm going to just stare at this art book until I cry myself to sleep.

Zeenbor

Docpan said:
Further update:

I now have a RRoD'd useless Xbox sitting here. I stood in line in the rain for 2 and a half hours, paid 90 dollars for the special edition, spent all day trying to figure out this locking up issue, and now my Xbox is broken.

Awesome. Fantastic.

Wow. Sorry to hear that, man. This is some sad shit.

Docpan

Spooka said:
I've had 2 freezes while just driving around on the 360 version. Its a normal 360 sent back to me after my other one red ringed last august. I played for 3 hours last night no prob and two hours today with 2 freezes.

Doubt it has anything to do with it - but I was online last night(0 freezes) and today I've been offline(2 freezes). I'll plug my ethernet cable back in and see if I get any more freezes. This 360 has never crashed or frozen for the 6 months I've had it. But it is a 360 so it could self-destruct at any moment.

Beware, your 360 is about to red ring.

I had these exact same symptoms, and apparantly it's not software related at all. Your Xbox is on it's way out. 3 red rings as of one hour ago. Nothing is bringing it back.

I don't want to say that GTA IV killed my 360 but... I find it odd that I've been playing it so much lately and just NOW it decides to break on this particular game.

Docpan said:
Further update:

Awesome. Fantastic.

Holy ballsack.

I understand now when people say this is the worst generation.

Zeenbor

Just to say again: MY METHOD WORKS. I've reproduced it 2 times now. If your PS3 is locking up on GTA4 during the opening or second cinematic, follow those instructions and please tell me if you're able to run.

kiUNiT

CoG said:
Crashed once at the first cutscene, played for four hours straight and it was fine, then crashed when I quit the game (PS3 beeped three times and reset).

I played over 20 games on this PS3 and never had a game crash. Rockstar QC is shit.

Can something like this hurt your PS3?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Zeenbor said:
Further update:

I'm FULLY able to play GTA4 now. I completed the first mission and now it auto-saved.

2. Skip both cutscenes (intro and Roman's house intro). After this, you will not be able to control Niko.
4. Another prompt will come up giving you tutorial information. But you will have no control. Repeat step 3.

If this is really the way to get by it I will be sick to my tummy. Sick I tell you.

Zeenbor said:
Further update:

nope. didn't work for me. I can't even get to fuckin' Roman's house again. FUCK!!!!!!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Docpan said:
I had these exact same symptoms, and apparantly it's not software related at all. Your Xbox is on it's way out. 3 red rings as of one hour ago. Nothing is bringing it back.

It is software related. You just had bad luck that your console chose to die on you.

TheJollyCorner said:
nope. didn't work for me. I can't even get to fuckin' Roman's house again. FUCK!!!!!!

You shouldn't attempt this anyway. The cutscenes are seriously among the best in the game. You won't give two shits about Niko if you miss that stuff.

Just wait for Rockstar to sort this out, seriously. This is a much more narrative based game than people originally anticipated I think.

bigswords

Guys have you tried the following?

Disc auto start - OFF
BD internet connect - Confirm
Disable notification Widget (the orange thingy ontop of the screen)
Disable the Media server option.

Zeenbor said:
Further update:

You forgot step 0. Blow on the disc and switch the power OFF and ON three times before inserting the disc back in.

C'mon lad, you and I both know this is not going to work for long. :p (But I hope for you that it does)

I think the problem is related to the game code not properly handling read errors from the HDD, or assuming a certain transfer speed? It would make sense, especially if similar problems occur on both the ps3 and 360. Maybe it has to do with disk fragmentation? All this controller swapping could very well just give more time to the game to transfer some data in place before reaching the "bogus" data transfer...

JasoNsider said:
How am I comparing checkers to chess? Both had big development teams, ambitious game design, etc. Zelda probably had more complicated coding (code does get a bit more "mordern" as the years go on). Really now, give credit where it's due. There's a reason Warrior Within is slammed so damn hard by gamers and it's not only because of the goth. The game was the buggiest "big release" possibly ever.

Rockstar deserves shit if they are releasing unfinished products.

wow, you do not deserve to play this game.

Baker said:
I was wondering that too. I really don't like the sound it makes when it shuts down after the lock up.

I don't think so. I hear this sound all the time at work as the PS3 devkit crashes constantly when running code. I don't see this as being hurtful to your system.

Baker

Banned
bigswords said:
Guys have you tried the following?

Disc auto start - OFF
BD internet connect - Confirm
Disable notification Widget (the orange thingy ontop of the screen)
Disable the Media server option.

That's how my system is set up minus the Widget.

I also refuse to believe that a fucking minuscule XMB widget is breaking a game. Does the XMB even run while you're a playing a game? I thought that was the whole reason we don't have in-game messaging and whatnot.

MercuryLS

Banned
Are the problems really that wide spread on PS3? I'm kinda glad I went with the X360 version in the end. Haven't had any issues so far with SP and MP.

MercuryLS said:
Are the problems really that wide spread on PS3? I'm kinda glad I went with the X360 version in the end. Haven't had any issues so far with SP and MP.

Gosh, would you people stop going in circles and read the god damned thread before posting?

phone_recycle.gif

Top Bottom