• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June 2008 Issue

Caj814

Zonar said:
Do not want.gif

It's going back to what the very first PoP was all about.Epic 1 on 1 sword fights with enemies that actually put up a fight(back at that time at least).Right now I'm more anxious to see a trailer to see how the game looks in motion

I’m suddenly worried about Banjo. If half the game turns out to be a racing minigame collection, it’s going to be a major disappointment. If not, why is there such a strong focus on vehicles?

SolidSnakex said:
Viva Pinata 2: Trouble in Paradise
- Improved interactivity between the pinata's and the environments.
- Pinata's will mimic each others action and follow the leader around the garden.
- They'll be adding toys for the pinatas to play with like musical instruments, spaced themed toys, and trains that the pinata's will ride around the garden.
- 30 new pinatas.
- 2 new sub areas called Pinarctic and Dessert that'll allow you to travel to new locations and lay traps for the pinatas.
- A photo mode will allow you to upload pictures to the website.
- A drop in and drop out co op mode.
- Improved UI.
Hype - 1. Sound more like an expansion than a true sequel. The new sub areas sound cool but only 30 new pinatas?....lame.

Raide

SupahBlah said:
They might be focusing more on the platforming which is a dowant.gif.

The change to 1 on 1 fights is to make each of those fights much more dynamic and interesting than fighting 1 Vs 10 of the same boring enemy. It would not be a Prince of Persia game without combat but it would also not be the right game if it did not have platforming, puzzle solving and acrobatics...

...so it has that stuff too. :D

NTom64

And now to analyze (mah thoughts in bold) :

SolidSnakex said:
I got my issue earlier, the cover story is Guitar Hero 4.

Guitar Hero 4 (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)
- Create a song. Although these exclude vocals due to storage and possible copyright issues. Getting ideas already ::D
- You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it. Pretty sweet
- You'll be limited to 5 songs at first. But depending on the ratings you get you'll possibly be able to upload 10 or more.
- The song sharing mode will be in the Wii and PS2 versions also, but GI says it's unlikely that it'll be as robust as the PS3 and 360 versions.
- Drums, bass, vocals guitar
- Create a rocker About damn time...but bring back Clive Winston, you pricks :(
- Create a guitar and drums
- All songs will be master tracks
- They don't want to discuss specifics on track listing out of fear of being scooped by the competition. However they confirmed 4 bands: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime.

Prince of Persia (PS3, 360, PC)
- Inon Zur is the composer
- Combat is 1 on 1 now rather than having you face groups of circling enemies.
- 1 button will control your sword during combat, another for jumping and another for grabbing and manipulating things.
Overall, sounds pretty sweet. End of 08 will be awesome for platformers :D

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (360)
- RARE says they didn't want to make a hi res version of the old Banjo platformer.
- You create vehicles with parts you find around the levels.
- GI says their first vehicles was a 4 wheeled kart with a spring attached to the bottom that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.
- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.
- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
- The town is called Showdown Town.
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.
- Showdown Town is 16 times larger than anything RARE has created before.
- Every level has a different intro. Nutty Acres begins with a credits spoof of 80's soap opera's like Dallas.
- Note collecting is back and will act has currency that'll allow you to bu vehicle blueprints.
- RARE says there are 15 different challenges spread across 6 different levels. There will also be side missions.
Overall = platformer with slight vehicle-based elements? That actually sounds...awesome :D

- Robocalypse (DS)
- Sonic Unleashed (PS3, 360, Wii, PS2) Severely want to know about this info :D

Fans of platforming do not worry because I seriously doubt Rare will expect you to simply fly your helitruckcraft or whatever from blueprint to new part to whatever.

On top of that I expect a majority of Banjo & Kazooie's moves from the first two games to carry over in this new title....and you'll need them to because it's not like you can take your vehicle into every little cave or building.

GH4 sounds like Rock Band, except some aspects taken even furthur.

If my rock band drums work with it or the drums they have are awesome and work with Rock Band, I will buy it.

SantaC

GitarooMan said:
Banjo Kazooie sounds like just about the hottest thing ever.

Sounds good, but if this been a wii game gaf would had complained about it and called it a minigame fest.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I HATE this vehicle-thing. I wanna a platformer. Not a shooter-racer-hybrid. Why Rare? WHY?

Well I think it'll be a comfortable balance, and we still don't know how fun the vehicle based
action will be. Considering that Rare doesn't know WHAT your going to build, there will obviously be locations that are unreachable or that you can't gain access to perhaps without a certain vehicle. So on foot platforming action to gather the equipment in order to further yourself through the game could be a ton of fun.

The details in this GI seem awesome though. I'm also intrigued by the Prince of Persia preview. 1 on 1 action seems to remind me of the original game, and the new take on the gameplay and art style could create a truly epic experience.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
GitarooMan said:
You really should give it a chance, sounds like there are platformer elements and that the vehicles are varied and interesting. I really think it sounds intriguing and different, and I'm glad to see Rare pour a lot of effort into what I think is one of their best brands.

There were supposed to be platform elements in RRR too. :(

Growing up with the audience Mark. A lot of older gamers play 360 in the UK.

I hope it has a universal appeal like say Psychonauts did. I really hope it'll be excellent, waiting to see the Edge/Eurogamer stuff.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i want gh4 pretty badly, i got gh3, i hope the guitar controller is the same, if its awesome itll be the 4th i buy :(

(GH1 PS2, GH2 360, GH3 PS3)

Nolan. said:
Wait... there's nothing else to do in the game.?

Apparently all you do is drive vehicles around.

Like for a second there I was worried that you would actually have to get out of your vehicle in order to collect puzzle pieces or notes but then I figured Rare will include a retractable net or something so you can scoop them up while driving around.

Ripenen

Zonar said:
Do not want.gif

I dunno, the one-on-one fighting sounds kind of cool. I haven't played a PoP game since Sands of Time, but if I remember correctly even when you were fighting multiple enemies it's not like they all charged you at once or anything. Unless you were using one of your super powers you still basically just had to take them out one by one, right?

Also, how are you people not more upset about Road Rash getting canned?

Dever

Banned
Zonar said:
Do not want.gif

I do want. Think epic duels, where every encounter is almost like a boss fight. And since there's only one enemy on screen, the AI and animation will probably be really great as well.
Banjo sounds hot. 1600+ parts? That's a lot. GH4 sounds good also.

besiktas1

GH4 sounds fucking awesome, I wonder how they will moderate crerate a track? so DLC still is viable...

I'm guessing if you want to sing. DLC. if you want to just rock out get someone or do it yourself. AWESOME

VP2 = I called it! yay! desert = Camel right. I wonder what they call it? Carmel maybe?

Banjo = I wanted all customisation, not just what you drive. Hopefully it's not all of what you can make...

Rpgmonkey said:
If it's something new the bolded interest me.

I may get a issue later.

Higuchi says they're gearing Tales toward a slightly older audience. The battle system has received the biggest boost thanks to the new hardware which means they're able to put more enemies on screen as well as bigger bosses. And there's a 4 player co op mode. I don't know if any of that is new since I haven't followed the game. The rest are just recaps.

Guled said:
So is GH4, Rock Band 2, or is the only instrument still a guitar?

It'll include all the instruments. Neversoft mentions that their goal is for the drums to be quieter than the ones in RB. There are also 6 parts to it as it'll have 2 cymbals.

I agree with the 1on1 fights in Prince of Persia PS360 being awesome. Were the multiple guys in prior 3D PoPs actually doing anything besides circling the hero? Might as well cut them out to give a better focus on combat.

oldergamer

SolidSnakex said:
Loose Talk:
- The next Nintendo and MS systems would arrive in 2010. Sony's would arrive in 2012. They hear that MS will have your achievements carry over to the new system.

So much for that 10 year life cycle eh?

oldergamer said:
So much for that 10 year life cycle eh?

They don't mean 10 years as their main system when they say that.

Of course, the 10 year thing is completely dependent on them being the best selling console, which is kind of an obstacle they weren't expecting.

SolidSnakex said:
It'll include all the instruments. Neversoft mentions that their goal is for the drums to be quieter than the ones in RB. There are also 6 parts to it as it'll have 2 cymbals.

Oh SHIT!

Rock Band is completely owned by that, assuming they manage to actually make the drum game fun and on par from a technical level.

Prince of Persia (PS3, 360, PC)
- 1 button will control your sword during combat, another for jumping and another for grabbing and manipulating things.

If combat is like AC, it would be really nice. I might be in minority but I liked stylish combat of AC very much.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
There is no fucking way Nintendo releases their next system in 2010. Absurd.

Amir0x

Banned
Linkin Park

:headshake:

:headperk:

SolidSnakex said:
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (360)

- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chasis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.
- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.
- Note collecting is back and will act has currency that'll allow you to bu vehicle blueprints.

haha it's like they realized how awful Banjo was and made the concept as a big joke on all actual Banjo fans

"hey, you know what sucked about those games? Collecting. Let's make a bazillion new things to collect and you can make vehicles with them!" :lol

Zapages

I hope Ubi goes back to PoP 3D to check some of the combat of that game so that they don't make the same mistake in that, even thought I enjoyed PoP 3D combat when it actually worked...:lol

RBH

Banjo 3 sounds really interesting.

Here's hoping that Rare will find the right mix between the platforming and the vehicle-oriented portions.

stotch

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Higuchi says they're gearing Tales toward a slightly older audience. The battle system has received the biggest boost thanks to the new hardware which means they're able to put more enemies on screen as well as bigger bosses. And there's a 4 player co op mode. I don't know if any of that is new since I haven't followed the game. The rest are just recaps.

What? They previously said they tried co op but it didn't work out. Is it online?

Nolan.

TheGreatDave said:
They don't mean 10 years as their main system when they say that.

Of course, the 10 year thing is completely dependent on them being the best selling console, which is kind of an obstacle they weren't expecting.

Oh SHIT!

Rock Band is completely owned by that, assuming they manage to actually make the drum game fun and on par from a technical level.

I think the ps3 will last longer than 10 years all together and I can see it doing better in the later years.

dagZ said:
The last one might. The 360 Les Paul worked with Rock band.

And not with the PS3. And when Harmonix tried to get it to work with it, they stopped it from happening.

I see Activision being very pro-active when it comes to only allowing their future hardware to work with their games. Which is shitty for everybody like me that's gonna have two drum sets now, but you know.

Raide said:
The change to 1 on 1 fights is to make each of those fights much more dynamic and interesting than fighting 1 Vs 10 of the same boring enemy. It would not be a Prince of Persia game without combat but it would also not be the right game if it did not have platforming, puzzle solving and acrobatics...

...so it has that stuff too. :D

More emphasis on platforming and puzzles? Do Want.

1 on 1 combat isn't as spectacular as what we've seen from WW and TT, but that means they can't half ass it either. Those battles when they do arrive should be spectacular.

dagZ

TheGreatDave said:
And not with the PS3. And when Harmonix tried to get it to work with it, they stopped it from happening.

I see Activision being very pro-active when it comes to only allowing their future hardware to work with their games. Which is shitty for everybody like me that's gonna have two drum sets now, but you know.

hopefully this isn't $200 like Rock band.

TheGreatDave said:
Neither of those will come true.

Why not? Activision is a company that cares most about the fans and not making profi....crap, almost forgot.

then I at least hope the GH4 one folds so it won't take up so much space.

Link

The Autumn Wind
rince of Persia (PS3, 360, PC)
Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but.... duh?

careksims

dagZ said:
The last one might. The 360 Les Paul worked with Rock band.

I don't think they'll make the same mistake again.

And with that, why bother calling it Guitar Hero. Might as well call it Rock Hero :/
I ain't gonna have two drum sets!

dagZ said:
hopefully this isn't $200 like Rock band.

Rock Band is closer to $160 now, isn't it?

The difference here is I imagine they'll sell "Guitar Hero 4 with Guitar" like they always have, but have a different version out there with all instruments at a similar price to Rock Band. So they can kinda keep their current market and expand in to the new one.

Linkzg said:
Why not? Activision is a company that cares most about the fans and not making profi....crap, almost forgot.

then I at least hope the GH4 one folds so it won't take up so much space.

Guess what, Harmonix and MTV care about profit just as much as Activision. They only support all peripherals because it suits their market position.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This makes it sound like platforming is the afterthought. :(

Brandon F said:
So...Banjo Threeie = Jak X + LBP?
;_;

Crushed

Fry Daddy
- GI says their first vehicles was a 4 wheeled kart with a spring attached to the bottom that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.

COLBERTICALLEDIT.GIF

Amir0x

Banned
Banjo is like a hilarious joke on all people who actually enjoyed that crap franchise.

Collecting 1600 parts with a large focus on vehicles. Banjo Pilot, with the collecting FORCE of a billion Banjo platform games

so fucking awesome

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
Banjo is like a hilarious joke on all people who actually enjoyed that crap franchise.

Collecting 1600 parts with a large focus on vehicles. Banjo Pilot, with the collecting FORCE of a billion Banjo platform games

so fucking awesome
How the hell are you still a mod.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
There's like a whole pot of awesomesauce in this issue. Props to GI for keeping print game journalism relevant.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, there is a lot of good info this issue.

Co-op on Viva? AWESOME

Top Bottom