• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer June 2008 Issue

Pre

TheGreatDave said:
Neversoft have already dumbed down their charts. Go look at the Muse pack DLC, or the Dream On single. They're basically making GH:2 charts now :(

Guitar Hero 2 charts were a lot better designed than some of the diarrhea that Neversoft designed for 3.

Pre said:
Guitar Hero 2 charts were a lot better designed than some of the diarrhea that Neversoft designed for 3.

Even if you're of that opinion (I'm not), GH:3's charts were different to Rock Band's. Now, they're basically going to be the same.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
GH3's charts made my hands hurt. That's all I'll say since I know TheGreatDave has his personal opinion and nothing is gonna change it. :eek:

fresquito

To be honest, I'd like slightly easier charts on GH4. Some songs in GH3 are too dificult to beat if you don't study them, and it shouldn't happen. I'm not talking about scoring five stars. Make it more dificult to five star songs if you want, but let me end the damn song.

I wish people would just get over the pride and let "Expert" mean Expert.

There's a bunch of songs I can't complete on the highest difficulty in GH:3. That doesn't bother me one bit. If I want to play them I play on Hard, which is basically Rock Band's level anyway.

fresquito

TheGreatDave said:
I wish people would just get over the pride and let "Expert" mean Expert.

There's a bunch of songs I can't complete on the highest difficulty in GH:3. That doesn't bother me one bit. If I want to play them I play on Hard, which is basically Rock Band's level anyway.
Heh, it's not about pride, it's about completing all previous songs with five and four stars and then being unable to beat everything from tier 7 and 8, except Knights of Cydonia. It's a matter of convenience. If I'm playing expert I don't want to switch back and forth to play a certain song.

It's simply that the jump is way too big from tier 6 to 7. It's not about pride, I don't feel frustrated, I simply don't play those songs on expert and enjoy the rest. But I find that it's not the best solution. However, that's just my opinion. I want them to be slightly more accesible, at least to beat them.

fresquito said:
Heh, it's not about pride, it's about completing all previous songs with five and four stars and then being unable to beat everything from tier 7 and 8, except Knights of Cydonia. It's a matter of convenience. If I'm playing expert I don't want to switch back and forth to play a certain song.

It's simply that the jump is way too big from tier 6 to 7. It's not about pride, I don't feel frustrated, I simply don't play those songs on expert and enjoy the rest. But I find that it's not the best solution. However, that's just my opinion. I want them to be slightly more accesible, at least to beat them.

I think the jump is too big also. But I think the jump from Enter Sandman to Green Grass on Rock Band is a MUCH bigger jump. I literally can gold star pretty much everything in Rock Band, but can't beat Green Grass.

Mau ®

SolidSnakex said:
It's more of an interview than a preview, but this is what they say.

- They'll handle the ending as a dynamic cutscene that changes depending on specific decisions you make. Right now there are over 500 variations of the cutscene.

- You can talk to Dogmeat although he only barks and wags his tail. But they say you always tell if he agrees or disagrees with you.

- There are no guilds like in Oblivion. You just go around doing different quests for various groups.

- The world is entirely open from the start although certain areas can be difficult at the start.

- There will be licensed music from the 40's and 50's. Songs and artists include Ink Spots"I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire", Bob Crosby's "Way Back Home", and Roy Brown's "Butcher Pete".

- There are no vehicles.

- The game has gotten bigger since the initial announcement. They've had to remove some features but they say they weren't anything they'd officially announced.

- GI asked if there will be downloadable dog armor and they say that they've been making that joke around the studio. They say they doubt it'll be in there and that they really aren't even thinking of any downloadable content until the game is complete.

Sounds fucking awesome. It appears its more Morrowind than Oblivion =D

fresquito

TheGreatDave said:
I think the jump is too big also. But I think the jump from Enter Sandman to Green Grass on Rock Band is a MUCH bigger jump. I literally can gold star pretty much everything in Rock Band, but can't beat Green Grass.
I know what you mean. Rock Band is much easier, but Green Grass is a complete bitch. But you see, I can accept the last song being so damn hard, or two o three songs, but not the last seven songs :lol

I only say I don't want more 3s and 7s and Raining Bloods, where the whole song is a complete nightmare or there's a nearly impossible part.

fresquito said:
I know what you mean. Rock Band is much easier, but Green Grass is a complete bitch. But you see, I can accept the last song being so damn hard, or two o three songs, but not the last seven songs :lol

I only say I don't want more 3s and 7s and Raining Bloods, where the whole song is a complete nightmare or there's a nearly impossible part.

I like difficulty, I just don't like difficulty from playing a shit song. 3's and 7's shouldn't be in Rock Band or Guitar Hero, let alone both.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
TheGreatDave said:
I like difficulty, I just don't like difficulty from playing a shit song. 3's and 7's shouldn't be in Rock Band or Guitar Hero, let alone both.

3's and 7's is a blast on drums, though. Guitar is just one part of a four piece puzzle now.

duderon said:
Find me 10 songs that sound interesting on every instrument. They're harder to come by than you think.

Pavement - "Silence Kid"
Pavement - "Elevate Me Later"
Pavement - "Stop Breathin'"
Pavement - "Cut Your Hair"
Pavement - "Newark Wilder"
Pavement - "Unfair"
Pavement - "Gold Soundz"
Pavement - "Range Life"
Pavement - "Hit the Plane Down"
Pavement - "Fillmore Jive"

;)

duderon said:
Find me 10 songs that sound interesting on every instrument. They're harder to come by than you think.

There's thousands of songs that sound interesting on every instrument. Just not from every band, and they'll aways want a large variety of bands.

BigBlackGamer said:
I clicked this thread and thought this was the rock band thread. silly me. :lol

hayley-williams-80376.jpg

*TIME PARADOX*

Sharp

TheGreatDave said:
I beat Green Grass on my first try. Hell, Green Grass isn't even the hardest song available for RB. That's not even the point, though; there's no jump in Rock Band bigger than the jump from Tier 7 to Raining Blood, and once you can consistently beat that Green Grass poses no problem. Also keep in mind that the new GH should have a tighter HOPO system, which means that more Harmonix-like (a.k.a. accurate) charts will be significantly harder than they are in GH3, where you can pretty much flail and hit the note a lot of the time.
BigBlackGamer said:
I clicked this thread and thought this was the rock band thread. silly me. :lol
Guitar Hero. Serious business. Plus the BK discussion has already happened elsewhere.

Pre

TheGreatDave said:
Pavement - "Silence Kid"
Pavement - "Elevate Me Later"
Pavement - "Stop Breathin'"
Pavement - "Cut Your Hair"
Pavement - "Newark Wilder"
Pavement - "Unfair"
Pavement - "Gold Soundz"
Pavement - "Range Life"
Pavement - "Hit the Plane Down"
Pavement - "Fillmore Jive"

;)

Thank god that we can agree on something: Pavement rocks.

Sharp said:
I beat Green Grass on my first try. There's no jump in Rock Band bigger than the jump from Tier 7 to Raining Blood, and once you can consistently beat that Green Grass poses no problem. Also keep in mind that the new GH should have a tighter HOPO system, which means that more Harmonix-like (a.k.a. accurate) charts will be significantly harder than they are in GH3, where you can pretty much flail and hit the note a lot of the time.

Apart from Raining Blood, nothing stopped me in my tracks in GH:3. I've played Green Grass several times (I'm still on PS2, so I haven't put that much effort in ) and died at the same point over and over again. It's harder than Hanger 18, Freebird or anything else in any other music game for me.

And trust me, I find HO/PO much easier in Rock Band than in Guitar Hero 3. On account of Rock Band not requiring you to touch the strum bar for up to 10 seconds at a time.

Sharp

TheGreatDave said:
Apart from Raining Blood, nothing stopped me in my tracks in GH:3. I've played Green Grass several times (I'm still on PS2, so I haven't put that much effort in ) and died at the same point over and over again. It's harder than Hanger 18, Freebird or anything else in any other music game for me.
Any other music game? Really? I can think of a whole bunch of songs in, for example, Stepmania that are a lot harder than that. I'd say it's pretty much equal to Free Bird in terms of difficulty to pass, but then again when I passed Free Bird I was a lot worse than I am now. Definitely much, much easier than Jordan, and I'm not sure how you could disagree with that. It's probably just the very tight HOPO window (I don't think it's as tight as GH1's, but the tightest since then) throwing you off. Move your fingers faster, that's all there is to it.

Also, the "lack of irritating mid-solo strumming" thing (which I like) has nothing to do with the HOPO timing window, and the only reason you're likely finding them easier is because Harmonix doesn't chart ghost notes or feedback.

Sharp said:
Any other music game? Really? I can think of a whole bunch of songs in, for example, Stepmania that are a lot harder than that. I'd say it's pretty much equal to Free Bird in terms of difficulty to pass, but then again when I passed Free Bird I was a lot worse than I am now. Definitely much, much easier than Jordan, and I'm not sure how you could disagree with that. It's probably just the very tight HOPO window (I don't think it's as tight as GH1's, but the tightest since then) throwing you off. Move your fingers faster, that's all there is to it.

I meant guitar based games. Released in the United States. I phrased it poorly :)

And yeah, Jordan and shit is harder, but I mean songs in the actual career mode.

Sharp said:
Also, the "lack of irritating mid-solo strumming" thing (which I like) has nothing to do with the HOPO timing window, and the only reason you're likely finding them easier is because Harmonix doesn't chart ghost notes or feedback.

But I LIKE that kind of charting. It feels much more authentic to me. When I play rock Band I often feel like I go in to a Frequency mini-game.

Sharp

TheGreatDave said:
I meant guitar based games. Released in the United States. I phrased it poorly :)

And yeah, Jordan and shit is harder, but I mean songs in the actual career mode.

But I LIKE that kind of charting. It feels much more authentic to me. When I play rock Band I often feel like I go in to a Frequency mini-game.
The only reason One hasn't been FCed yet is because of poorly thought-out strum charting in Fast Solo A. That's the kind of artificial difficulty spike that just frustrates people; there's not actually a strum there if they want to be consistent with the way they charted the rest of the solo, but they didn't bother to avoid that. Obviously if you want to make a song un-FCable you just have to include extremely rapid strumming with even more rapid HOPOs in between, but it's neither fun nor realistic to do so, since if they were actually aiming for "authenticity" you would be able to strum in more than one place. I think if Activision made Rock Band's guitars compatible they would be very useful for situations like that, since you could use the frets at the bottom to do appropriate tapping.

Thats a charting issue, not a charting conventions one. I dislike a lot of charts in GH3, that doesn't meam I don't want slides charted, or a solo requiring you to strum if its logical.

Sharp

TheGreatDave said:
Thats a charting issue, not a charting conventions one. I dislike a lot of charts in GH3, that doesn't meam I don't want slides charted, or a solo requiring you to strum if its logical.
How about a solo requiring you to do bullshit 20nps trills because Neversoft didn't realize it was feedback? How about charting the keyboard or bass as guitar (pretty much the only song I can think of that seriously does that in Harmonix-created songs is Because it's Midnite, and that crazy solo is worth it)? How about introducing strums very nearly randomly in songs like One, TTFaF, FCPRemix, and Cliffs of Dover (which is an excellent song and a pretty good chart, but seriously)? In GH3 what I saw was consistently bad charting from Neversoft. Moreover, at least for me a lot of the fun is being able to hit things accurately based on my knowledge of the song and good rhythm, which is pretty much eliminated by GH3 because it means that you have to constantly focus on the screen to make sure you're hitting it properly. I know why they did it--the loose timing window makes long streams of HOPOs way too easy if they're not really fast--but now that they've solved that problem I hope they abandon a lot of the "charting conventions" they adopted for GH3.

TheGreatDave said:
Neversoft have already dumbed down their charts. Go look at the Muse pack DLC, or the Dream On single. They're basically making GH:2 charts now :(
And that's the problem. I'm not a big fan of Neversoft's much harder charts, but they fit a different audience to me, and it gives Guitar Hero an element of difference from Rock Band, which gives a greater justification for having both, as they become different games: Rock Band towards a casual, multiplayer co-operative tone, to the more difficult competitive nature of Guitar Hero.
However... I know that sounds silly to want it hard when I don't want to play hard charts. But my point is, both brands can survive, if they provide something different.

Zerachiel

Opus Angelorum said:
This will never happen.

I know that they like their DLC revenue, but if they don't start offering this feature (i.e., stick the song in and the game creates a note track for you), some third competitor like Dance Factory for DDR games is going to scoop them on it and get a huge following in the process. Plus, again, they may like their DLC revenue but whoever includes this feature in their game is going to gain a huge advantage over the competition.

Zerachiel said:
I know that they like their DLC revenue, but if they don't start offering this feature (i.e., stick the song in and the game creates a note track for you), some third competitor like Dance Factory for DDR games is going to scoop them on it and get a huge following in the process. Plus, again, they may like their DLC revenue but whoever includes this feature in their game is going to gain a huge advantage over the competition.

The question is, is the tech there for that type of thing to be feasible. can a game analyze your random mp3 file or whatever and actually chart the notes like a developer can. I agree though if someone came up with something like that (ala audiosurf) then that would be huge.

Kuran said:
I really really want Jake Hunter to be good. What exactly did they say about it?

They say it takes itself too seriously and that the characters are dry. They go onto say that it's very linear and that you can't even leave an area until you hit the right trigger. There's also none of the humor that you get from Phoenix Wright games.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
beermonkey@tehbias said:
There's thousands of songs that sound interesting on every instrument. Just not from every band, and they'll aways want a large variety of bands.

You think there are, but once you look closely at your favorite songs they're usually lacking in one or more department.

Zerachiel

BigBlackGamer said:
The question is, is the tech there for that type of thing to be feasible. can a game analyze your random mp3 file or whatever and actually chart the notes like a developer can. I agree though if someone came up with something like that (ala audiosurf) then that would be huge.

If audiosurf and Dance Factory can do it, I don't see why GH couldn't. Grtanted, the generated stuff will never be as good as the note tracks the devs come up with, but they could be servicable.

rune_74

Neo Member
Amir0x said:
:headshake:

:headperk:

haha it's like they realized how awful Banjo was and made the concept as a big joke on all actual Banjo fans

"hey, you know what sucked about those games? Collecting. Let's make a bazillion new things to collect and you can make vehicles with them!" :lol

So crushed reaction to this get him banned?

AAK

So was it confirmed whether or not the new screenshot for RE5 shows a brand new character or Claire?

Kuran

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They say it takes itself too seriously and that the characters are dry. They go onto say that it's very linear and that you can't even leave an area until you hit the right trigger. There's also none of the humor that you get from Phoenix Wright games.

Thats very disheartening to read.. still I like its style.

Top Bottom