• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabCam

dabookerman said:
Ok, has anyone got the CVG special for the MGS series?
It's £5, they did the GTA special last month. I bought it yesterday and read pretty much all of it. Man.. they need a freaking editor. That magazine was poorly written, tons of unprofessional mistakes aswell as factual mistakes. Getting dates wrong many times. If you ever felt that this MGS special of the magazine needed to be purchased, then don't. It's not worth it.

I got it. It's alright. It's worth the £5 if you're a fan as it does have tonnes of content. I love the hidden things you can do. I totally didn't know that if you shot the "!" that appears above their heads, they become confused and forget why they were alarmed!

I just finished the amazing cut scene with
Raiden
on Act 2. They so need to have a Metal Gear
Raiden games that plays like DMC.

Ourobolus

Banned
Darkpen said:
a no-kill run is easier on your second time through, when you get the emotion smoke grenades. For now, just use smoke grenades, stun grenades, and tranq rounds.

This is my second run through. :p
Beat it on Normal, now trying the 0 kill, 0 alert, 0 health items used, and 0 continues. So far, so good, but the damned
motorcycle chase
is kicking my ass. I wasn't aware that the colored smoke was also an emotion grenade. Might have to try that...

xenix

I discovered something funny during my 2nd playthrough.

During the cutscene with Naomi (Act 2), Snake drops his cigs. My guess is, he's checking up what's under Naomi's skirt (you old dog).

However, you can press the L1 button to see what Snake's is seeing... :lol

PS. It also boost your Psyche

Man, it's things like these that really finishes up the game.

GAH. I knocked wolf down to the last bit of her HP and then i was spotted by the solders who were by now waking up. So close...

Also, insert 14893 when prompted to remember the code. Its the wrong code and you will lose PSYCH, but when the cutscene is over you will have gained 100,000 DP!

Guled

Ourobolus said:
This is my second run through. :p
Beat it on Normal, now trying the 0 kill, 0 alert, 0 health items used, and 0 continues. So far, so good, but the damned
motorcycle chase
is kicking my ass. I wasn't aware that the colored smoke was also an emotion grenade. Might have to try that...
during the slow mo jump, shot the 2 turret guy before you land, makes it easier when you land
Gamer @ Heart said:
GAH. I knocked wolf down to the last bit of her HP and then i was spotted by the solders who were by now waking up. So close...

Also, insert 14893 when prompted to remember the code. Its the wrong code and you will lose PSYCH, but when the cutscene is over you will have gained 100,000 DP!
There are 2 other numbers you could input to get ipod music

evil ways

Just beat it last night. All I'm gonna say is, beautiful, awesome, excellent. I literally cried almost all the way through the last act and the ending. Very powerful stuff.

boco77 said:
Lastly, I'm still unclear what is killing Snake? Is it just his rapid ageing process due to him being a clone or is it Foxdie adapting and going to kill him?
That one's answered in act 2, although it doesnt necessarily make a lot of sense.
Naomi tells snake, right before the octopus fight in act 2, that he is aging prematurely by design. The patriots created him to be a weapon. To avoid "technology transfer", he can't reproduce, and he ages quickly. As in: if someone stills their weapon, they won't be able to "manufacture" new ones, and they'll only be able to hold onto this one for so long.

The Bookerman said:
Am I the only one who still cringes at
the Jonathan, meryl romance
No, yeah, me too a little bit. It aint got nothin on
cry-tacon
tho. That got old as soon as he started
crying
again. I literaly went: god... here we go... again....

the Jonathan, meryl romance, I still think Kojima should have stuck to Meryl being a lone soldier. I don't get how Jonathan can turn out like a badass soldier at the end.

These parts I wasn't a fan of but the rest of it was badass.

boco77

Banned
I dunno about yout guys but I find the controls pretty similar to past Metal Gear Solid games. Dont really understand why people say they have been made easier. It still takes a LONG ass time to get used to them after you've been playing other games. How are they easier? CQC is hard to do at times as often you just throw them over isntead of holding them. Taking cover is the same as before I still gotta press a lot of buttons while in cover to shoot. When a enemy is right next to you, controls can be problematic. Also you can't shoot while moving, and what happened to the FPS mode Kojima was saying you could use? I dont mean aiming from FPS viewpoint but playing the game like this?
You still have to hold down l2 or r2 buttons to use weapons, or gadgets like switching the Solid Eye's different modes.

The controls aren't really a complaint I'm just perplexed why people say they are easier when they're not. Anyway my main complaint with the game is the constant going in and out of menus to change weapons and items, buy ammo, check weapons etc. Theres a LOT of that. I wish it was made a little easier somehow as it breaks the flow of the game in intense battles.

That being said its still one of the best games I have ever played. Absolutely amazing.

So I just finished the game and holy shit

the boss fight with liquid was incredible, i wanted to fuck all the b&b broads, and raiden better be in metal gear fucking 5!!!

mgs 4 is now my favorite game of all time. my previous #1 was mgs1. some of those cut scenes tho had to be cgi. there's no way in hell all of that was in game. it looked too damn good lol.

xenix

bdizzle said:
So I just finished the game and holy shit

the boss fight with liquid was incredible, i wanted to fuck all the b&b broads, and raiden better be in metal gear fucking 5!!!

mgs 4 is now my favorite game of all time. my previous #1 was mgs1. some of those cut scenes tho had to be cgi. there's no way in hell all of that was in game. it looked too damn good lol.

It's all in-game I'm afraid. Change your OctoCamo camouflage scheme & during cutscene, shake the controller...

sky

Finished it last night... great stuff :D.
My total play time was just under
hours, but damn did it go fast! Definitely another play-through is in the cards.

Awesome game overall.
Some things worked better than others, but it absolutely leaves a strong impression. I can't stop thinking about it!
And talk about nostalgic - I want to replay the series now.

Just played this from start to finish in one sitting practically, and holy shit. I wasn't really feeling it at first, but once things got going and you were out of Genericville (middle east) the game becomes FUCKING AWESOME. Loved it. My only complaint is (end spoilers kinda)
I only really liked the Octopus boss fight, thought the others were average at best (besides the battle vs Liquid on top of the tanker).

xenix said:
It's all in-game I'm afraid. Change your OctoCamo camouflage scheme & during cutscene, shake the controller...
Are you sure? Even for the ending cutscene of Act 3? Because I'm going to try this once I get home from work.

Damodar

xenix said:

You can also hold up on the d-pad to zoom in and use the right stick to move the camera when zoomed in. And it's not so much shaking the controller, you sort of flick it about 90 degrees and back.

I played Act 3 earlier today and you cannot zoom in when
Ocelot signals for the nanomachines to go haywire and the attack, the scene when he atatcks the boat, and the scene with meryl.

Imm0rt4l

for some reason I can't auto aim in the game, I want to auto aim for stick ups but I get an error noise when I try to. Anybod know how I can auto aim?

U K Narayan said:
Well I'm pretty sure it was pre-rendered, anyhow. It really doesn't surprise me that there would be. Uncharted did it, too.

It still looks real time regardless. I guess the scale and everything else was too much, which is understandable. Looks great regardless.

jjasper

The Bookerman said:
the Jonathan, meryl romance, I still think Kojima should have stuck to Meryl being a lone soldier. I don't get how Jonathan can turn out like a badass soldier at the end.

These parts I wasn't a fan of but the rest of it was badass.

I think it works because
Johnny looks an awful lot like Snake and saved her just like Snake did.

Yasser

jjasper said:
I think it works because
Johnny looks an awful lot like Snake and saved her just like Snake did.
he's a soldier from mgs1 right? aren't all those genome soldiers clones of big boss? or at least have some of his genes? i remember liquid saying something like that in mgs1. it would explain why he looks similar to snake and is pretty good in combat

dabookerman said:
It still looks real time regardless. I guess the scale and everything else was too much, which is understandable. Looks great regardless.
Well, to be fair - Uncharted's pre-rendered cutscenes looked real-time, too.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I seriously seriously miss looking foward to this game. Its such a weird feeling. Its hard to explain. That sense of, its over....
I know. :/

Well, we have Resident Evil 5 to look forward to. If there's one game I can definitely be sure of in being similar or greater quality to that of MGS4, it'll be that.

jjasper

LukeSmith said:
Late to the party:
Finished Act 1 tonight, working my way through Act 2.

I absolutely love this game. As a longtime MGS fan it is incredible fan service and the gameplay is light years beyond where its predecessors were.

The real fan service is Act 4. God that act is so awesome.

Yasser said:
he's a soldier from mgs1 right? aren't all those genome soldiers clones of big boss? or at least have some of his genes? i remember liquid saying something like that in mgs1. it would explain why he looks similar to snake and is pretty good in combat

Yup he is the
Soldier Meryl knocked out and stole the uniform from at the beginning in the jail cell

dkeane

Got to Act 5 last night. This game just keeps surprising me. One thing I don't see much discussion over is how balanced this game is. I'm no Metal Gear expert but I've been challenged by Solid Normal but never frustrated. It's the perfect level of difficulty for me.

One thing I wish the game did more of is blending the cutscenes and gameplay together like the first opening part. I thought that was really well done.

jjasper said:
Yup he is the
Soldier Meryl knocked out and stole the uniform from at the beginning in the jail cell

He can't be a clone though. What about the Johnny in MGS3.
I think I remember Genome Soldiers merely have some o Big Boss genes, but not being clones.

Barrett2

dabookerman said:
I think I remember Genome Soldiers merely have some o Big Boss genes, but not being clones.

Also, what about Johnathan in Portable Ops? Is he related in some way to MGS4 Johnny?

jjasper

dabookerman said:

Oh I didn't mean he was a clone just that he was a Genome Soldier. His grandfather is in 3 (guarding the cell I think) and is constipated (opposed to having diarrhea).

Defuser

dabookerman said:
MGS3 Johnny is MGS1/2/4 Johnny's grandfather

lawblob said:
Also, what about Johnathan in Portable Ops? Is he related in some way to MGS4 Johnny?
Absolutely no relation at all. PO's Jonathan is a russian soldier who died.
Next you be saying Raiden's
son (John)
is related. :lol

Yasser

dabookerman said:
i haven't played mgs1 in a long time so my memory is a little hazy on what was exactly said. what happened to the rest of the genome soldiers btw? is that ever explained?

lawblob said:
I don't think so. Every Johnny was a Johnny. I think it's like this.

Johnny in MGS3 has a son called Johnny. Now, EITHER Big Boss's genes are used in conjuction with Johnny Jr to create MGS1/4 Johnny or Big Boss genes are used to fertilise Johnny Jr's woman.

I'm no expert in the subject, but that's what happened with all the Genome Soldiers no?

Solid, Solidus and Liquid are different in that:
Are Solid and Liquid twins in the same way twins are made when the egg splits in two? Or are they two seperate eggs? Because from what I understand, Solid was fertilised using BBs genes, and with the use of a Japanese Womans ovum, and then used Eva as the surrogate mother. Whether the same happened with Liquid, I do not know, he might of had a different woman providing the ovum. Solidus was born from a different mother obviously right.

xenix

MrTroubleMaker said:
Who did they scan for Meryl's face? She looks familiar.

My guess would be the actress herself (Debi Mae West)

mj2xww.jpg

Diablos

Ferrio said:
Ya something like that.

Except he wasn't really tired of the PMCs, they were just affected by his "tests". I could be wrong, but I don't think they were really suppose to be tests. But more of a way to get things rolling, so the patriots would take the appropriate steps to try and stop him
So... he pulled the plug on PMC's so the AI could try to stop him? And then had his half-robot, half-human army (really the army he had fighting on behalf of the Patriots, am I right) fight those trying to get into Haven to make the AI think its being protected? But why even do that, just disable those soldiers too and go right to the AI and kill it? Ocelot did, after all, fool the system into thinking he was Liquid... sooo confusing.

So is Liquid Ocelot the real hero of MGS4? Snake just seems like nothing more than a pawn.

Dr.Hadji said:
Just finished
Act 3
, where the heck did my awesome gameplay go?!!!!!! Please don't tell me that the awesome stuff I was doing previously is gone for good. And whats up with the bosses thus far. They don't raise over the standard of previous bosses in the series. Not better or worse on average, just somewhere in between (which feels odd when most everything else sails above previous games).

I remember Shane complaining about Lost Odessy, saying that it reading story was a woeful misuse of the medium. I wonder what he has to say about MGS4 talking the story to you with (mostly) worthless high tec splash pages moving around the screen. For a game with so many cut-scenes, Kojima doesn't show you a lot of things.
Whoa dude, haven't you already posted this - like -- THREE TIMES ALREADY?

Act 3 is where the fangasm starts. The gameplay pretty much takes a backseat.

Kind of unfortunate, but it's still pretty cool.

This is where I think MGS3 wins 4 out. That and the bosses.

By the way, today the game has been released in Spain (transport strike... grr) and in the box it says clearly "HD 720p" not 1080p like I've seen in some other cases...

I'm sure the game is the same one and that it will be displayed in 1080p upscaled like everywhere... but it's just curious.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I found the bosses to be the best the series has offered to date. *shrug*

Banned
xenix said:
Some of the cutscenes are pre-rendered with the in-game engine. It's pretty obvious as they're full of compression artefacts. I guess they were running really short on disc space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom