• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski: 360 controller "looks like an Alien Space ship"

AmMortal

Banned
Epic's Cliff Bleszinski has said that current control pads look like alien spaceships, and hopes the Microsoft's next Xbox will come with a pad with fewer buttons.

"I hope if there's a new Xbox that there'll be fewer buttons on the controller," he told us during a chat about Gears 2's multiplayer.

"This is purely me speculating in my own realm of game development, but if you look at a controller right now it looks like an alien spaceship," he added, going on to point at alternative methods of interaction.

"I think you could do things with a built-in camera or a little motion sensitivity. You look at the Wii controller with less buttons - they added functionality by doing waggle. Not a lot of games use the waggle well, but Super Mario Galaxy for example uses it perfectly. Zak and Wiki uses it rather well," he said.

Advertisement:
"There are other ways of providing interactivity without having every single finger doing something at once on a friggin' controller."

So what should the hardware guys be doing in future, Cliff? "I've seen some prototype camera stuff that some friends are working on that can actually tell the depth of the world around the player, and can track individual finger movements and stuff like that. That's exciting stuff, and I think that's where it all needs to start going towards."

CVG

Confirmed : Gears of war 2 to include wiimote like alien probing controller... ?

Rorschach

"I hope if there's a new Xbox that there'll be fewer buttons on the controller," he told us during a chat about Gears 2's multiplayer.

No wonder he wants "A" to do every fucking thing.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So what should the hardware guys be doing in future, Cliff? "I've seen some prototype camera stuff that some friends are working on that can actually tell the depth of the world around the player, and can track individual finger movements and stuff like that. That's exciting stuff, and I think that's where it all needs to start going towards."

...er doesn't PS3s camera do that depth thing with IR light already?

Weenerz

Banned
Why is news worthy? Is CliffyB (I refuse to type out your last name), so big in the industry that when he says some random comment, people scramble to make a post about it? Where's the GoW2 news, we don't care what you think about the 360 controller.

Godammit, part 2 of the interview later, I'm not deleting that.

Busty

Banned
Bollocks. He's on message.

There can be only one true alien console controller and that was the N64 one.

You know I'm right.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Rorschach said:

In that case he should've put GoW on the Gamecube. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Weenerz said:
Why is news worthy? Is CliffyB (I refuse to type out your last name), so big in the industry that when he says some random comment, people scramble to make a post about it? Where's the GoW2 news, we don't care what you think about the 360 controller.

It's newsworthy because he's always been a big proponent of "adult" gaming consoles and making those types of games. It's probably surprising to some that he's totally into the Wii controller. It SHOULDN'T be surprising though, since he plays a ton of DS apparently.

You could play Gears1 multilayer competently with only the d-pad and b-button, so sure.

And this fellow namedrops zack and wick A LOT.

yeah. really calls to mind Mark Rein holding aloft the 360 controller and essentially saying 'there's nothing wrong with this'.

those of us that GOT the wiimote when we saw it, knew that we were looking at something that would influence every subsequent controller.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Busty said:
Bollocks. He's on message.

There can be only one true alien console controller and that was the N64 one.

You know I'm right.

N64 controller was just good for some Tentacle Action , but it's not alien one ...

the Duke on other hand was like an alien mother/drop ship with human B2 in the back all by it's own

104 keys Cliff. Never forget.

More buttons may be daunting to the casual gamers, but I want as quick access to features as I can get. I don't want to hunt a menu.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Weenerz said:

I'm hoping it's just the cliffyb banana ridaz that think that way.

MaddenNFL64

Probably why Gears has one button that does a shitload of things based on context.

He knows whats up. There will always be a place for complex games with complex controls. Hell i'm a fan of that. Many of my favorite current gen games make me press every damn button continuously. But mass market appeal isn't in that direction. Less buttons is the way to go.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
He hasn't seen me naked yet.

Good thing they are getting interested in alternative ways to control games. Last time a company did that it worked pretty well, I can already taste the sweet fanboy tears. Innovation can't be bad for the industry.

Aliens: "Cliffy B. looks like us."

But the fact that he knows what an alien spaceship looks like just confirms that he's been to planet Sera, and Gears of War is basically just a re-enactment of his adventures there. I don't really like waggle or sixaxis shaking, but the camera ideas do interest me. Then again, the different options each console provides just makes a stronger case to play them all.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Uhm, doesn't his own game use every goddamn button on the controller? Putting aside hardware power issues, you couldn't do GOW2 on Wii...

Mamesj

Banned
Phaethon0017 said:
Aliens: "Cliffy B. looks like us."

But the fact that he knows what an alien spaceship looks like just confirms that he's been to planet Sera, and Gears of War is basically just a re-enactment of his adventures there. I don't really like waggle or sixaxis shaking, but the camera ideas do interest me. Then again, the different options each console provides just makes a stronger case to play them all.

no dood sera is teh U.S.A., all dat juice is oil, and the aliens are terrorists.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
kaf said:
I'm pretty sure the Wii remote + nunchuck has just as many buttons as the 360 controller.

Combined, the remote+nunchuck has 8 buttons (not counting home or power as they aren't used during gameplay), a d-pad and an analog stick. 360 controller has 10 buttons plus two sticks and a d-pad. In addition, due to the design and layout of the wii buttons very rarely do you see a game which uses all of them at any given time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh, I disagree. I think Nintendo has overly simplified the Wii-mote setup and it doesn't work well with a lot of traditional game types. Super Smash Bros is a major Nintendo title and it feels awful on the Wii-mote (no matter how you configure it). I could only enjoy the game with a Gamecube pad.

The Wii-mote is great in some instances, but its design went a bit TOO far. It has fewer buttons and sticks overall, but more importantly, many of those buttons are useless in certain positions.

lexdysia

Banned
Cliffy is just doing the Dyack thing of blustering about something when no news is coming out. It's just a reminder that "E3 is next week, but don't forget about us till then. Here's a douche comment to tide you over."

dark10x said:
Eh, I disagree. I think Nintendo has overly simplified the Wii-mote setup and it doesn't work well with a lot of traditional game types. Super Smash Bros is a major Nintendo title and it feels awful on the Wii-mote (no matter how you configure it). I could only enjoy the game with a Gamecube pad.

The Wii-mote is great in some instances, but its design went a bit TOO far. It has fewer buttons and sticks overall, but more importantly, many of those buttons are useless in certain positions.

The only way i can play brawl halfway decently is with the remote in nes-style

personally, I think the wii remote was done just about perfectly. I wish the + and - buttons were a bit easier to access with my thumb when holding the remote in my right hand though

AmMortal

Banned
lexdysia said:
Cliffy is just doing the Dyack thing of blustering about something when no news is coming out. It's just a reminder that "E3 is next week, but don't forget about us till then. Here's a douche comment to tide you over."

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Gestural controls are neat in concept, but in practice, most of the time people play games as a means to relax. Sink into the couch, put your hands on the controller, and just let your fingers do the work. I don't want to play an action game or an FPS like it was friggin' Para Para Paradise.

b.e.r.g

Rorschach said:
AtariJoystick.jpg

... someone should show him the Atari, he whould love making games for it

You guys have an impressive ability to extrapolate claims that offend you from vague speculative statements.

It's like you feed off it.

lexdysia

Banned
Worm_Buffet said:
You guys have an impressive ability to extrapolate claims that offend you from vague speculative statements.

It's like you feed off it.

I have to ask: would he be saying it if his game weren't coming out soon?

Archaix said:
Combined, the remote+nunchuck has 8 buttons (not counting home or power as they aren't used during gameplay), a d-pad and an analog stick. 360 controller has 10 buttons plus two sticks and a d-pad. In addition, due to the design and layout of the wii buttons very rarely do you see a game which uses all of them at any given time.
not to forget that two of the buttons on the 360 pad are analogue compared to zero on the wiimote.

if gears was designed for the Wii, you can bet it would use less buttons and sticks, and use the pointer and gestures for things.

'There are other ways of providing interactivity without having every single finger doing something at once on a friggin' controller.'

Pffffft, I like my control pads look to like alien spaceships. I need some enemy vessels for my "Remote Control Spaceship Wars".

....does anyone else think of the IR sensor as a laser, and use the batteries as escape pods....?

AmMortal

Banned
sionyboy said:
Pffffft, I like my control pads look like alien spaceships. I need some enemy vessels for my "Remote Control Spaceship Wars".

....does anyone else think of the IR sensor as a laser, and use the batteries as escape pods....?
jayz7.gif

lexdysia said:
I have to ask: would he be saying it if his game weren't coming out soon?
his game isn't out for months and uses the controller he's criticising that was designed by the same people publishing his game.

potentially upsetting your publishers would sure be a weird way of trying to promote your game.

If a day comes that all console controllers forced you to use anything else but your fingers it will be the day I start reading as a hobby instead.
Sorry but I don't want six axis or waggle. Call me lazy.

lexdysia

Banned
plagiarize said:
his game isn't out for months and uses the controller he's criticising that was designed by the same people publishing his game.

potentially upsetting your publishers would sure be a weird way of trying to promote your game.

Tonight, from the Dyack Files...

Also, news is right around the corner for E3. People won't be dissuaded from buying a game because of some comment like this. It's just to keep him in news stories until the press conference.

Top Bottom