• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski: 360 controller "looks like an Alien Space ship"

lexdysia said:
Tonight, from the Dyack Files...

Also, news is right around the corner for E3. People won't be dissuaded from buying a game because of some comment like this. It's just to keep him in news stories until the press conference.
will it persuade people to buy the game either?

CVG interviewed Cliffy because they wanted to and not because Cliffy wanted to be interviewed. They put up this news story highlighting the most surprising answer to get people to check back later for the full interview and to drive up their page hits.

we don't know what the quote was in context yet. it's not like Cliffy called up CVG and said 'I've got a quote for you'. he responded to an interview question.

lexdysia said:
Tonight, from the Dyack Files...

Yes and Dyack is batshit insane. He's being depicted as a joke because of his actions and it's likely to put his game in a negative light. It's drawing more attention to the bad previews than the good ones.

Perhaps Cliff Bleszinski is simply being interviewed a lot because he has a game coming out? And whenever he says something that could rile NeoGAF up, it gets posted here?

karasu said:
Controllers are too complex? The pussification of the species continues.
Eventually, we'll have the option of controlling video games with our minds. Then, no one can complain about losing complexity for a gain in accessibility. Wait, then people will complain about there being a lack of any physical controller at all. Can't wait to see what forums will be filled with then! :lol

Struct09 said:
The only alien thing about it is the d-pad. Fix that and you have perfection.

Exactly.

I mean, the 360 controller is just a SNES controller with analog sticks and triggers so people can properly play FPS games. Does he dare say the SNES controller has too many buttons?

MightyHedgehog said:
Eventually, we'll have the option of controlling video games with our minds. Then, no one can complain about losing complexity for a gain in accessibility. Wait, then people will complain about there being a lack of any physical controller at all. Can't wait to see what forums will be filled with then! :lol

But then people will complain that their brains can't think fast enough, so they'll dumb things down so basically the game will play things for you and you always win. Don't think that complaints will stop once you get things to a purely mind driven stage.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ghost said:
...er doesn't PS3s camera do that depth thing with IR light already?

No, it doesn't unfortunately. Maybe the next eyetoy.

They've done a fair bit of R&D with infrared cameras though, and also with regard to determining pixel depth with regular cameras alone.

Vieo

How is the PC going to cope with the Waggle Revolution?

If you look at gamepads on PC, the most popular ones all closely resemble the DualShock controller with two analog sticks. They all follow a "standard" of what a gamepad should be. I would imagine that when next-gen(Wii2/Xbox720/PS4) rolls around, the controllers of each console are going to be radically different from each other in an attempt to innovate/out-do the Wiimote. This will create three totally different controllers and that means there won't be any standard to follow.

How will this issue be resolved for devs who want to port their waggle intensive next-gen FPS to PC?

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Oh God, please don't listen to Cliff's advice on this one MicroSoft and Sony. Please!! I want dual analog sticks...no, I don't want them, I NEED THEM! Don't you dare ever take away my dual analog sticks or I'll go PC, I swear to God I'll go PC.

I'm fine with fewer buttons though, but I really don't think they need to remove any of them. If developers don't like it, don't use so many buttons. Look at the bloody sixaxis, almost every developer is completely ignoring the functionality because it usually just breaks the interaction down and Sony's controller shape doesn't lend itself well to doing the same stuff the WiiMote does in the casual space. So to sum it up, I don't want my casual games to be played with a ds3 or xbox controller, and certainly don't want my hardcore FPS and TPS games to be played with a WiiMote.

Diablos

WTF? The 360 controller is really nice. Comfortable, shaped well to conform to the hands, and not too many or too little buttons. Alien spaceship? Uhh, no.

I really hope "one waggle future" is not serious. Some waggle is ok, but I do not want the future of console gaming to be exclusively directional buttons + A, B + moving your wrist.

squicken

I'm a little butthurt about this. Does Cliffy really want waggle in his games? Does that mean Gears is going to use that shitty thing MS is unveiling at E3? Did Gears 2 just go from "Must Buy" to "Will Never Play"?

I mean the ultra-easy mode he's talked about sounds dumb enough, but factor this crap in and it sounds like I could tape the waggle-mote to an oscillating fan and the game would play itself.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Why is saying it looks like an alien spaceship a bad thing? Pretty much every ergonomic controller looks like a spaceship.

Does that mean Gears is going to use that shitty thing MS is unveiling at E3?
It would go from "not interested" to "definitely want" for me. After RE4 the first game I thought of that would instantly benefit from remote aiming was Gears, it would fit it perfectly.

Onemic

less buttons is definately not a good thing.

Why do you think the wii is pretty shit when it comes to playing traditional games?

Vieo said:
How is the PC going to cope with the Waggle Revolution?

How will this issue be resolved for devs who want to port their waggle intensive next-gen FPS to PC?

The PC has a lot of potential inputs at its disposal. I doubt that coming up with a workable control scheme for most games will be much of a problem.

Spasm

Cliff, I count 8 buttons on the Wiimote. Add 2 more for the Nunchuk, and you have 1 less than the 360 controller. An alien spaceship by any other name is still an alien spaceship.

Pojo

Banned
I hope they all use some form of the Wiimote in the future, just more precise. If something can be done better with less buttons (see: Metroid Prime 3), make it happen. Once everyone is forced to adopt we'll see some amazing games, which will come sooner rather than later.

Like, next gen.

Pojo said:
I hope they all use some form of the Wiimote in the future, just more precise. If something can be done better with less buttons (see: Metroid Prime 3), make it happen. Once everyone is forced to adopt we'll see some amazing games, which will come sooner rather than later.

Like, next gen.

Is this some form of subtle satire?

I love the Wii but most current existing genres don't benefit from that approach.

Ravidrath said:
So, what, we've really stopped calling him CliffyB because he asked us to?

not only will he always be cliffyb, I'll always associate this pic with him:

main-cliffyb.gif

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This problem actually goes back a long way, though. Like I remember playing some hard-ass platformers on the Genesis as a kid and thinking how much better it would have been from a gameplay and appeal perspective for a single button to do what you needed at a given time.

Why should I have one button for run, one for jump, one for attack etc. and deal with needless complexity and confusion? If jump is the best move at a given time, the game should be properly coded to have that happened and I shouldn't have to worry about which button (or God forbid button COMBO) I'm pressing and have the mechanics of the game break the immersion for me.

Good to see some developers like CliffyB are finally taking notice.

I like the current ammount of buttons and its layout, two triggers and sholder bumpers, 4 face buttons and two sticks / dpad, anything else like start is a bonus :D

Odrion

Banned
Well I like the idea of easier controls but then again wasn't the whole "A button to roll AND take cover" a big annoyance in the first Gears of War?

iwiitobelieve.jpg

Although as someone else already pointed out, when taking into account the nunchuck the Wii is hardly slim on buttons compared to the 360 pad.

Onemic

Worm_Buffet said:
Because the games aren't released on Wii at all?

True some MP games don't get released on the wii, but a whole lot of them do, and often time with disastrous results.

Hey guys, there's a difference between saying there's too much buttons on the 360's controller and praising the Wiimote and it's one and a half accessible button.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Less buttons? WTH?

No thanks. I like having the ability to have complicated games.

There is nothing stopping you from just using a few buttons Cliff. You don't have to use them all.

yoopoo

Banned
For the type of games Epic makes, the pointer/motion based controls will probably help their games.

Pointing at the screen and shooting shit is super fun.

Vinci

Danish
dark10x said:
Eh, I disagree. I think Nintendo has overly simplified the Wii-mote setup and it doesn't work well with a lot of traditional game types. Super Smash Bros is a major Nintendo title and it feels awful on the Wii-mote (no matter how you configure it). I could only enjoy the game with a Gamecube pad.

I can agree with this actually, but I think it's because they didn't include motion into the Wiimote-only system and allow you, the player, to configure it however you wanted. For example, I long considered the idea of having Smash moves based around me jerking the controller (in NES style obviously) to the left to do a left-directed Smash, to the right for a right-directed one, so forth and so on.

There was a lot of potential, but Nintendo didn't utilize it fully IMO and stayed a bit too conservative for its own good.

Think accessibility with layered depth, that's what I think Cliffy B is advocating here.

Both Blizzard and Nintendo preach and follow this approach and have been very successful with it. This is nothing to get up in arms about, it's just a more mass market friendly approach to game design. You can appeal to less seasoned gamers and more hardcore players at the same time instead of building your game to appeal to just one or the other.

New methods of input and and interactivity have a huge potential to bring new advances to gaming, creating entirely new genres. I love the fact that Nintendo has a port on the wii-mote to allow expansions for new controllers. Eventually it could allow developers to design both the hardware and software behind their games, which I believe could open up huge avenues for innovation.

Of course, production and distribution costs are huge barriers which will enable only big publishers to afford this approach, however Nintendo has definitely proven it works. The trick is to design a controller that works for past game design while at the same time allowing for additional input innovation.

Top Bottom