• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski: 360 controller "looks like an Alien Space ship"

What nonsense. You use two fingers for messing with the triggers and two thumbs for using the thumbsticks/face buttons. A button for every finger my ass.

And in game context sensitivity is fucking horrible and one of the worst regressions in actual gaming ever. When you press a button, it should do the same thing every time. The change from a player deciding what input to input when to simply if input should be... inputted is apalling.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Liara T'Soni said:
I don't mind pointer at all, but waggle is ridiculous to me. I just don't see whats interesting about gesturing that isn't correlated to how the character is actually movie. I consider it to be the same as a QTE.

I think the 360 controller is money, my all time fave. If it's the end of an era then far as I'm concerned dual sticks went out with a bang.

It's not "more buttons" necessarily, I just want to be able to have as much control over my character in a game as possible.
I mostly agree. However, I think that the Wii remote is probably gonna be a very primitive example of motion detection in games.
I think your reservations might melt if motion control was better and simlpy implimented better ingame. Its always hard to imagine future gens, Gamers are always wrong too so I feel weird specualating anymore.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Son of Godzilla said:
What nonsense. You use two fingers for messing with the triggers and two thumbs for using the thumbsticks/face buttons. A button for every finger my ass.

And in game context sensitivity is fucking horrible and one of the worst regressions in actual gaming ever. When you press a button, it should do the same thing every time. The change from a player deciding what input to input when to simply if input should be... inputted is apalling.
With such strong feelings about it you may wanna consider a new hobby. Apalling? Seriously? You must be easily apalled:D

Staccat0 said:
With such strong feelings about it you may wanna consider a new hobby. Apalling? Seriously? You must be easily apalled:D
Well, its easy to be apalled when you pay $60 for a game only to spend half that time pressing the A button and the shit you want to happen not happening. I just don't think the GoW mouthpiece is the right person to extoll the virtues of simplicity when he can't even get his damn game to work.

Wyeth

This conversations really more about barrier of entry than anything else. Say what you want about waggle or the wiimote but anyone from a toddler to a grandma to the girlfriend or boyfriend who 'doesn't play games' can pick it up and have a generally intuitive sense of what to do with it and how it works. Making the controller familiar to people who have picked up television controllers was a subtle stroke of genius and the barrier of entry is extremely low.

The Xbox 360 controller has an extremely high barrier of entry if you're not already a gamer. Handing a 360 remote to my mother is like handing her a lump of salted cod and telling her she can't drop it.. it's a kind of limp wristed disdain mixed with a mild overwhelming feeling. The dual control sticks are rocket science if you're not used to them, and four different bumper/trigger combos are a whole 'nother level.

Developers who know how to create a solid control scheme can do so regardless of how many buttons there are, there are ways to solve those problems. But the other direction, that complexity and barrier of entry, that's way harder to reverse engineer for those people who just want to pick up and play. Input mechanisms will continue to become more streamlined for this reason... just look at your average gadget like a smartphone nowadays; it has about 1/8th the buttons and gizmos that it used to in favor of a seriously streamlined interface. Just watch what the cutting edge industrial design community is doing today and has been for 5 years to see what the big 3 console manufacturers will probably be doing 5 years from now.

If the 360 controller is an alien spaceship, then what the FUCK were the 64 and Cube controllers?

Funny thing is, those are three of my favourite controllers ever.

Darklord

Banned
Cliff says some really stupid things. Games that have a 1 button = everything style of gameplay are never as good as other types. They feel overly dumbed down and less like a game.

What'll they want in 20 years time? Just let the AI do everything and all the player can do is press pause?

bdouble

pn18 said:
I agree, the next xbox controller (not newton) should have:

2 analog face buttons (A,B)
2 analog shoulder buttons (R, L)
2 analog sticks
1 pause/guide button

and of course a motion sensor

That would be sweet. Even better and more function could be added if they pulled a card from Nintendo and added digital click onto 2 of the shoulder buttons. Something that should have been on the Wiimote and nunchuck. Hell might as well have 2 additional plain old digital shoulder buttons because it really helps with fps and really doesn't make it too much more complex.

Cipherr

Fallout-NL said:
Yeah, Jesus, fuck this shit.

If they keep this up, it's back to PC gaming only for me.

Dont want your kind, stay away!

No but seriously Id kill to play Gears 2 if it supports MS's newton. And 90% of the complainers would love it to pieces too once its done on their favorite console. He is right, when the motion controls are done right, it is great.

Son of Godzilla said:
Well, its easy to be apalled when you pay $60 for a game only to spend half that time pressing the A button and the shit you want to happen not happening. I just don't think the GoW mouthpiece is the right person to extoll the virtues of simplicity when he can't even get his damn game to work.

I've pretty much never encountered this.

I like buttons., they need to add two more on the back of the controller that you can reach with your ring fingers... if anyone was ever silly enough to buy the FPS master like me, you know what I mean. After a little bit of clipping off certain area with a knife, it was a decent controller.

Top Bottom