• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski: 360 controller "looks like an Alien Space ship"

pn18

Banned
I agree, the next xbox controller (not newton) should have:

2 analog face buttons (A,B)
2 analog shoulder buttons (R, L)
2 analog sticks
1 pause/guide button

and of course a motion sensor

b.e.r.g

BrokenSymmetry said:
I like having a lot of buttons. This would be the ideal controller, if all keys on the keyboard could be used in the game:

6ifyg5.jpg
Totaly agree... every console should have an optional addon like that, with software that lets you map every button :)

Im still looking for a Wii upgrade that will let you use the DS as a controller ;)

Spasm

BrokenSymmetry said:
I like having a lot of buttons. This would be the ideal controller, if all keys on the keyboard could be used in the game:

6ifyg5.jpg
This is what I have, and swear by. Come on MS, let me use this with my HTPC!!!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CliffyB said:
"There are other ways of providing interactivity without having every single finger doing something at once on a friggin' controller."

It's funny he brings up Mario Galaxy tho.
e49.jpg

I think it requires more fingers than Gears of War.

Exempted

Banned
MGS uses almost every button on the controller. Were you worried that you wouldn't have enough buttons?
I didn't want the game control to be too complex. Because it is an action game, I wanted it to be intuitive. In RPGs, you press a button and a window opens and you can choose an item. But I wanted to avoid this. Just one click activates some action. As a result, we ended up using every button on the controller, but once you get used to it, then it will be convenient. However, I do think there are too many buttons with current controllers, making the gameplay difficult. Eventually I would like to see a voice recognition controller to make things easier.
-Hideo Kojima, 1998

Azih

I don't think this gen added any buttons that weren't on a DS2 except for the 'home' buttons to get to the dashboard.

And the industry is on its way to simplify things even more. It seem that every idiot has to be able to controll every game...fully. The Wii be damned. I hate this trend.

Won

Azih said:
I don't think this gen added any buttons that weren't on a DS2 except for the 'home' buttons to get to the dashboard.

They turned R2 and L2 into triggers and added a motion sensor.

Exempted said:
-Hideo Kojima, 1998

Is there even one good developer/game designer out there, who agrees with GAFs "the more buttons, the better" point of view?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wouldn't really characterize Mario Galaxy as having simplistic controls aside from the second-player star-shooter role. 3D platformers can be almost inherently difficult to get into and Galaxy makes no attempt to dumb things down (or, conversely, to complicate them too much). Cliffy wasn't even citing it for it being simple, just for the fact that he felt it used waggle well.

When I think of simplistic control schemes that accomplish a lot, I think more along the lines of the original Virtua Tennis. A lot of people feel this deprives them of too much control though.

Spasm

have you played mario galaxy
I have, and I tried all of the different controller schemes, and couldn't find the perfect one. I settled on using the Wiimote sideways. Sucks trying to hit the B button, though.

Edit:
Exempted said:
...What. I think you have the wrong game.
Bwahahah, oops. You're right. Why was I thinking SSBB? Disregard.

Exempted

Banned
Spasm said:
I have, and I tried all of the different controller schemes, and couldn't find the perfect one. I settled on using the Wiimote sideways. Sucks trying to hit the B button, though.
...What. I think you have the wrong game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MaddenNFL64 said:
Mario Galaxy is A, Z, and analog stick. And a waggle to spin. Complex.

So now the waggle and pointing functions are so inherently genius they don't even count when discussing the control scheme? There is more to the game than that. And I don't see that as a negative fwiw.

PS can't believe the Penny Arcade strip hasn't been posted yet. I knew you're out there Haunted!

Spasm said:
*smacks Spasm*

Crack is bad for you!

Spasm

Yeah, SMG is pretty much spot on, but am I the only one who has to switch hand positions to hit the cross for camera control? I've gotta shift my whole hand forward.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
evilromero said:
Ha. Nintendo's blue ocean is starting to get a little red.

You... haven't read BOS, have you? I take it you haven't read anything about disruption either.

acidviper

Banned
AmMortal said:
CVG

Confirmed : Gears of war 2 to include wiimote like alien probing controller... ?
WTF he said almost the exact same thing on Gametrailers bonus round episode 4 The future of gaming. Is CVG lazy or does this CliffyB save all his material

acidviper said:
WTF he said almost the exact same thing on Gametrailers bonus round episode 4 The future of gaming. Is CVG lazy or does this CliffyB save all his material
we'll know when we see the full interview. we don't know what question he was responding to when he mentioned it.

I don't understand what all the commotion is. It's a developer's choice if they want to utilize every button on a control pad. There is at least 1 DS game that ignored stylus control (which I fail to recall right now). People complaining about the number of buttons on a pad or even Kojima's statement doesn't matter. Just because there is many control buttons available doesn't mean you have to use them all. Why is this an issue?

besada

Banned
That pic has 13 possible button presses, the standard controller has 16.

Removing three face buttons gonna change the industry!

acm2000

meh, i want the same layout pad, but 2 extra face buttons, to have the sold skool megadrive 2 pad style, 6 face buttons, then with the 2 triggers, and 2 bumpers, would be perfect

Vinci

Danish
dermannmitdemcolt said:
And the industry is on its way to simplify things even more. It seem that every idiot has to be able to controll every game...fully. The Wii be damned. I hate this trend.

Wow. Butt-hurt much?

Weenerz said:
Why is news worthy? Is CliffyB (I refuse to type out your last name), so big in the industry that when he says some random comment, people scramble to make a post about it? Where's the GoW2 news, we don't care what you think about the 360 controller.

Godammit, part 2 of the interview later, I'm not deleting that.
I don't know, to me comments like this are a lot more interesting than more "news" about an upcoming game. Every site every is going to report every single available unnecessary detail about GoW2 whenever those details come out anyway. This is an actual real opinion from somebody.

pn18

Banned
Chris Remo said:
I don't know, to me comments like this are a lot more interesting than more "news" about an upcoming game. Every site every is going to report every single available unnecessary detail about GoW2 whenever those details come out anyway. This is an actual real opinion from somebody.
I totally agree with you.

I thought wii was bad.....i guess they probably have been playing it secretly....after all RE4 and MP3 have been around sometime.....

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Woah, is Cliffy talking like an adult.

I like the 360 controller alot as far as game pads are concerned, but thumbstick aiming gives me less control.

I always feel like the Wiimote is about 1 button short of being able to do the perfect console FPS controls. Its really a shame that you cant get at the 1 and 2 buttons easily.

If MS came out with something similar for the "720 or whatever" and it had better motion detection and a couple more buttons, I'd be in.

Plus, I dont like to sit there holding a controller. With the Remote+ Nunchuck I can sit with my arms to my side in a more natural/confortable stance. It makes it just a bit more immersive when your sitting the same way you'd watch a movie.

EDIT: BONUS OPPINION!
Waggle should be used like a spice. Just for a bit of flavor. I'm stil waiting for that satisfying feeling of using the nunchuck to perform a reliable and well timed melee to deliver the final blow.

I don't mind pointer at all, but waggle is ridiculous to me. I just don't see whats interesting about gesturing that isn't correlated to how the character is actually moving. I consider it to be the same as a QTE.

I think the 360 controller is money, my all time fave. If it's the end of an era then far as I'm concerned dual sticks went out with a bang.

It's not "more buttons" necessarily, I just want to be able to have as much control over my character in a game as possible.

Top Bottom