• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

delaystation hits again, this time wipeout hd

One of the best PS3 games we've laid our hands on over the past 12 months has been the PSN version of classic PlayStation racer WipEout. It was playable all the way back at TGS, and has been playable at various events since, and yet at E3 this year, it was nowhere. No mention of it, no mention of a release date. So what gives? Looks as if while most of the game simply sings, some of it doesn't, with the game plagued by a "really, really tricky technical problem" that nobody at Sony has been able to fix. As a result, they're hoping the game will be out by Christmas, but just can't guarantee it. Bummer

http://kotaku.com/5026576/wipeout-hd-has-a-specific-technical-problem

Gutted oooooh so close to, was so looking forward to this when will the delays end.

MMaRsu said:
Christmas? Jesus wasn't this almost 99% done or something?

Yeah wasnt it suppose to be out like next week, gutted about this as the 1upshow totally had me wanting this bad a couple of months back it looked great with alot of cool features. Its a big delay so it must be something big, how did people not pick up on it in the previews though? is it a online problem?.

GQman2121

Banned
Well at lease they've come clean and are trying to put out a good playable product. I wish I could say the same about EA sports and that mess they're call college football this year. It's really unbelievable. I think I might hate Peter Moore........

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
Great...

baseball_screaming_fire_trail_.gif

calder

Boooooo, that's a huge delay. :|

I just assumed they were adding trophies or something. Really, any dev releasing a PSN game this summer that didn't already have trophies should be doing everything in their power to delay it to put them in, I bet the next PSN title with trophies at all sells surprisingly well. ;)

GQman2121

Banned
supermackem said:
Yeah wasnt it suppose to be out like next week, gutted about this as the 1upshow totally had me wanting this bad a couple of months back it looked great with alot of cool features. Its a big delay so it must be something big, how did people not pick up on it in the previews though? is it a online problem?.

Yeah, Ryan's impressions pretty much had me sold; add in the custom sound tracks that you can see bumping along the track as you race by and I was ready to spend anything they asked on the PSN for it.

It'll be a better game because of this delay, but damn if Xmas doesn't sound far as shit away.

Greg

supermackem said:
Gutted oooooh so close to, was so looking forward to this when will the delays end.
It's the 10-year plan, man - you have to pace yourself!

I'm actually a bit glad it was delayed because my funds have been a bit lacking. I wanted to be in the community the day it released, and I think this delay might help that. :lol

Steroyd

Jack Tretton said in an interview that he hopes Wipeout HD gets released before the end of the year.

I really wonder what this major techincal issue is.

Greg said:
I'm actually a bit glad it was delayed because my funds have been a bit lacking. I wanted to be in the community the day it released, and I think this delay might help that. :lol
Yeah same here actually. :lol

My 60GB is borked right now and I have no idea when it's coming back, this kinda eases off the stress a little.

Crayon

Well I hope tester's fuckin dicks where catching on fire or something it had better be a big problem. Spontaneous cock ignition due to unregulated awesome I'd buy that.

SolidSnakex said:
The one mode they've yet to allow journalist to play is the online mode. So i'd imagine that it has something to do with that.

No it isn't that. It's actually something...well pretty uncommon problem, but I'm amazed it's setback the game for such a long period of time.

It's nothing to do with Home or Online features, it's a very serious problem! Thats all I can say...even then I may had said too much.

laserbeam

Banned
DJmizuhara said:
It's nothing to do with Home or Online features, it's a very serious problem! Thats all I can say...even then I may had said too much.

Your obviously not saying too much when Sony themselves said a serious technical issue that they cant seem to fix is the problem

MrTroubleMaker said:
However, Sony has been quiet on Wipeout HD for some time now, and the game’s absence from E3 has set tongues wagging about just what has happened to the game. Well, panic not, the game hasn’t been cancelled, it’s just that there’s no specific launch window for the game yet. A spokesperson for SCEE told us “we don’t have a confirmed release date yet” but we’re assured the game is still coming, and will be released when it’s ready.

I don't know what to believe anymore. :(

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
I have friends in the industry... and apparently the "technical problem" they're having is that, sometimes, when you crash your vehicle into a wall at a certain angle, the polygonal collision causes the game to suddenly get replaced by Too Human... The people at Sony are REALLY confused why this is happening, especially since Too Human is a 360 game. I'll try to squeeze more info out of my sources, but they've been pretty tight-lipped about this.

nofi

DJmizuhara said:

We're obviously getting conflicting stories, but maybe the reply I got was the obvious one. PM?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
now i've been deprived of wipeout AND i'm dying of a curiosity that probably won't be satisfied! thanks, sony!

Duke Togo

1UP: I was with 1UP Editorial Director Sam Kennedy at the Sony press conference, and he had one question after it ended: Where's Wipeout HD?

SR: I'm not sure I know how to answer that right now. There are still some decisions being made on that particular product for the U.S.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168895

Taken from a 1up interview with VP Scott Rohde of Sony. The plot thickens? Or corporate lies?

kbear

BIG BUBBA said:
I have friends in the industry... and apparently the "technical problem" they're having is that, sometimes, when you crash your vehicle into a wall at a certain angle, the polygonal collision causes the game to suddenly get replaced by Too Human... The people at Sony are REALLY confused why this is happening, especially since Too Human is a 360 game. I'll try to squeeze more info out of my sources, but they've been pretty tight-lipped about this.
Is Too Human the new Bel Air?

Xater

DJmizuhara said:
Well if you knew what kind of BUG it was, then maybe you'd understand!

I would love to undestand what is going on but the developers are not really communicating with us except the comment nofi got but that's just makin this more confusing.

nofi

Xater said:
I would love to undestand what is going on but the developers are not really communicating with us except the comment nofi got but that's just makin this more confusing.

You'll get different responses from PR and developers though. As far as I know the game is still on target, but clearly others know differently.

I still dont understand how a game can go from being basically finished to having a 6 month bug that no "region" has been able to solve.

Fucking spill it.

Top Bottom