• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

delaystation hits again, this time wipeout hd

Grayman

DrXym said:
Sort of bugs that I can think of:

1. Environmental issues - latency, bandwidth, drop outs render multiplayer unplayable
2. Catastrophic issues - bricking hardware, HDD corruption, memory leaks, crashes
3. Security - open ports, insecure save data, other exploits
4. Ratings / Experience related - skinnable vehicles / team names mean pr0n & griefing gallore with no way to report offenders

Edit - Jinfash get rid of that pic, it's disgusting
I'd guess 2 or 3.

4. They would make skins friend or off the only options before delaying the game indefinitely.
1. any of those problems should have a solution in sight. Would a full rewrite even take six months?

Here's some nice art work to pass the time.

winner_details.asp

Maybe they just want a killer spring '09? I mean: Killzone 2, MAG, inFamous, WipEout HD... That'll sure attract some new people to the ''Playstation family''.

Unless.....

They'll delay all of the above games until fall '09, which wouldn't actually surprise me.

JUST HURRY THE FUCK UP SONY, where's my SOCOM and Wipeout fix? I would've been addicted for 9 months already if said games would've made the initial release dates. :( :( :(

nofi

FoxhoundNL said:
JUST HURRY THE FUCK UP SONY, where's my SOCOM and Wipeout fix? I would've been addicted for 9 months already if said games would've made the initial release dates. :( :( :(

You think they're delaying it on purpose or something?

slider

nofi, have you worked out your own "working theory" on why it's, er, not working? If so, spill it - we'd be interested to hear I'm sure.

But if your theories based on some super secret snippet you've heard from Sony... well in that case you can't spill it. Just PM me.

duketogo88 said:
That must be a hell of a technical problem to set a game back HALF A FUCKING YEAR!

wow

DJmizuhara said:
It's nothing to do with Home or Online features, it's a very serious problem! Thats all I can say...even then I may had said too much.

Well dang, the way you phrase it, it sounds as if somebody dies on the other side of the planet every time you turn the game on. Does it cause little children to starve or something?

nofi said:
You think they're delaying it on purpose or something?
No ofcourse not. I'm just wondering how it comes they can't come up with a realistic release date. Why say a game comes out at a certain date and then delay it several times? By the time SOCOM and WipEout hit, they'll be a year late compared to the initial release date. And it's not just SOCOM and WipEout. Killzone, home, Gran Turismo 5, LittleBigPlanet... Basically all exclusives except for Insomniac and some other rare exceptions. I find it ridiculous, don't you?!

spwolf

FoxhoundNL said:
No ofcourse not. I'm just wondering how it comes they can't come up with a realistic release date. Why say a game comes out at a certain date and then delay it several times? By the time SOCOM and WipEout hit, they'll be a year late compared to the initial release date. And it's not just SOCOM and WipEout. Killzone, home, Gran Turismo 5, LittleBigPlanet... Basically all exclusives except for Insomniac and some other rare exceptions. I find it ridiculous, don't you?!

Reason they dont want to say something is probably because they have show stopper bug that they cant solve... end of story there.

If it was incomplte or low fps, they would delay it for 3 months... if they are not saying anything, it means it could come soon!

Gamecocks625 said:
wow

Well dang, the way you phrase it, it sounds as if somebody dies on the other side of the planet every time you turn the game on. Does it cause little children to starve or something?
No it doesn't cause children to starve, but it is a very serious issue which is causing the team a lot of problems. This is all I can say...

nofi

slider said:
nofi, have you worked out your own "working theory" on why it's, er, not working? If so, spill it - we'd be interested to hear I'm sure.

But if your theories based on some super secret snippet you've heard from Sony... well in that case you can't spill it. Just PM me.

I've never even seen the game first hand, but I think I know what the issue is, yes.

FoxhoundNL said:

Nope, sorry.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
nofi said:
I've never even seen the game first hand, but I think I know what the issue is, yes.
You can't speculate eh? :(

Gah, this delay really brings on the pain for me. I'm glad the next few weeks look solid PSN wise, I guess.

Diablos

SR: I'm not sure I know how to answer that right now. There are still some decisions being made on that particular product for the U.S.
WTF

And not even guaranteed by the end of the year?! Bollocks!

This sucks, Sony! No fun!

If they cancel this game, I'll be pissed.

nofi

chubigans said:
You can't speculate eh? :(

Gah, this delay really brings on the pain for me. I'm glad the next few weeks look solid PSN wise, I guess.

No, and I'm thinking I'm looking like a dick here and in risk of a ban or something, so I'm saying no more, sorry.

1-D_FTW

DJmizuhara said:
It's nothing to do with Home or Online features, it's a very serious problem! Thats all I can say...even then I may had said too much.

DJmizuhara said:
Well if you knew what kind of BUG it was, then maybe you'd understand!

They bugged another developer and stole some source code? And now they're frantically trying to rewrite sections to avoid cancellation?

Haunted

Year of the PS3 continues.

This sucks, although I suspected something was up when they didn't show anything at E3. :(

kevm3

IFLBP gets delayed, i may consider selling my ps3. enough is enough... there is always some excuse for why a first party game is delayed. Sony needs better project managers.

Loudninja

kevm3 said:
IFLBP gets delayed, i may consider selling my ps3. enough is enough... there is always some excuse for why a first party game is delayed. Sony needs better project managers.

They already said that it will not be delayed any further.Also where did this come from anyway? what does LBP have top do with Wipeout?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't know why people are jumping on LBP (..perverse hope..?). The E3 showing ought to have been very reassuring in terms of how far advanced they are i.e. seeing the online infrastructure, user-created levels from beta testers etc.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Christmas... holy shit... wow...

kevm3 said:
I think a lot of it has to do with, the PS3 is just very complicated hardware to deal with. Compared to previous generations, it's much easier to end up with bugs during the testing phase and harder to fix them. Oh course having several delays are new to PS fans, but N64 had several game delays (I remember Conker, Banjo, Zelda, etc. getting delays), then Xbox (Crimson Skies, Halo 2, Sudeki, Fable, etc. all received delays), and now this gen is PS3. When you face a fierce competitor, you sometimes have to announce more early just to be on a even level playing field with the competition (since they'll automatically have more games due to being out longer) and by doing it, the release date is only a guess.

I'm guessing the issue either has to do with the network, an issue with firmware, or maybe even when you crash/use a weapon.

Myzer

Annoying and disappointing. As a long time Wipeout fan I have been really looking forward to this.

They say that patience is a virtue. But I don't think I'm that virtuous.

woeds

DJmizuhara said:
No it doesn't cause children to starve, but it is a very serious issue which is causing the team a lot of problems. This is all I can say...
Then don't say anything and keep out of this thread.

qirex99

Banned
i cant believe you guys dont use occams razor...

the "bug" is crap performance in certain situations @ 1080p and 60fps.

that is all. sony is actually trying to deliver on the trueHD thing.

its the same story with all ps3 delays...its hard to reach the purported performance level...

kaching said:
The FI meme has LEGS.
Really long legs.
But I swear, this better not lead to more weekly bitching about no Wipeout HD on the Playstation weekly content thread. The real injustice over there should really be Dark Mist, not "Why isn't WipeoutHD isn't out yet"/

Myzer

qirex99 said:
i cant believe you guys dont use occams razor...

the "bug" is crap performance in certain situations @ 1080p and 60fps.

that is all. sony is actually trying to deliver on the trueHD thing.

its the same story with all ps3 delays...its hard to reach the purported performance level...

Unfortunately Occam's razor doesn't really fit it in this situation, as preview code has been available to various media for quite some time now, and 60fps at 1080p is not an issue with that preview version of the game.

itxaka

Defeatist
the bug is that they code it for the 360. Now they have to start again from scratch

No seriously, this gotta be a bricking issue, exploit issue to be that delayed.

Why not explain exactly why it's delayed?

You'd think videogame developers were working on nuclear weapons or the cure for cancer with all the secrecy.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Someone probably already said this, but they should send it over to the wizards at Insomniac. I bet they could figure it out in their sleep. :D

Apocryphon

nofi said:
No, and I'm thinking I'm looking like a dick here and in risk of a ban or something, so I'm saying no more, sorry.

No NDA, no problem.

...or maybe you're just full of shit :lol

jjasper

Diablos said:
WTF

And not even guaranteed by the end of the year?! Bollocks!

This sucks, Sony! No fun!

If they cancel this game, I'll be pissed.

I doubt they cancel it but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the idea of this being a stopgap PSN game and use what they have to make it a full on disk released sequel.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
DJmizuhara said:
Ok, you can think what you like. I actually know that reason why it's been delayed...unfortunately I've been told to keep quite! Simple really!

No bullshit...
Why do you need to keep quiet, when obviously the bug would be fixed before the product is released? How would saying what the bug is be more detrimental to the game than saying "there's a bug we can't tell you about that's delaying things for six months or a year?"

M3Freak

Banned
I'm not buying Fatal Intertia because I'd rather wait for Wipeout. I'm sure there are other people that feel the same way.

Maybe Koei has simply asked Sony to delay Wipeout so that Fatal Inertia has more exclusive time to sell.

I played the Fatal Intertia demo - the game is pretty good. I'm still buying it, though. :)

Top Bottom