• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

delaystation hits again, this time wipeout hd

BeeDog

Dr. Zoidberg said:
If somebody "thinks" they know what the problem might be and doesn't say, then I would have to assume they are either: a) under NDA, b) afraid (of the truth pissing off the company and losing access), c) on the company's payroll, d) saving their speculation for a hit-driving article, or e) yanking our collective chains.

The people here that say they know what the shit the bug is about have been reliable before, so it's most likely a) and/or b).

nofi

Dr. Zoidberg said:
If somebody "thinks" they know what the problem might be and doesn't say, then I would have to assume they are either: a) under NDA, b) afraid (of the truth pissing off the company and losing access), c) on the company's payroll, d) saving their speculation for a hit-driving article, or e) yanking our collective chains.

All of the above.

And lose the "quotes".

kaching said:
Well, they already *have* taken their time though, considering it was already positioned as a game that might make it out in 2007 as a gap-fill to the a real, full-blown Wipeout game.

To be fair I think this was more forum/media speculation than anything implied or advertised on SCE's end. I still can't find one source that said a larger disc based version Wipeout was either in production or planning. When WOHD got delayed in '07 it was to add features and make it a more "full blown" Wipeout, which if anything seemed to indicate it wasn't being positioned as a stop gap at all.

I heard the bug involves the game locking up, and randomly turning into Too Human.

5 people died as a result of this bug, hence the delay.

qirex99

Banned
Orobi said:
I don't believe the technical problems version. I agree with that one who told Koei is pushing for Sony to posticipate the release of Wipeout HD in order to not battle the great fantastic super Fatal Inertia.

I think that's pretty plausible...however, why?

Why would sony delay a much-delayed, and VERY important game (the reason I started playing PS1)?

What does Koei have that Sony needs? Romance XVVII?

Nah, its not like Sony had to woo Koei to publish FI on PSN.

I would also tend to agree with the need to add more features...THAT makes sense too.

But a "bug"? that cant get ironed out by the 1st party dev in 6 months?

Oh, for those who are asking who i am, sit down, engage the brain and do a google search. It should be instantly obvious.

Hint, I'm not bound by NDAs!

lol....

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, seriously, what the hell is wrong with this game? Gonna be a longer wait, then. But wait I shall! :/

kenta

Has no PEINS
So people in the know all say it's a "VERY" serious problem but they absolutely can't say anything more than that which means it has to be related to something unannounced and NDA'd. Home and trophies aren't secrets anymore so what other rumors do we have to go by? Cross-game clan support?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
qirex99 said:
its a troll b/c i dont agree with you?

mmmkay.

go back to you $18/hr pissants existence!

lol

qirex99
Taking Internet
Douchebaggery
To Previously
Unseen Heights
(Today, 11:06 AM)
Reply | Quote

or better yet:

qirex99
Banned
(Today, 11:06 AM)
Reply | Quote

consoul

qirex must be right.

There's no way a first party studio could push "the silicon" to 1080p 60fps, given that Ridge Racer 7 was doing it online on day one back in 2006.

FightyF

Banned
HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!

So we've deduced that it is:
-a very serious error
-tricky to fix
-nothing to do with Home or Trophies

My guess is that it's to do with the game bricking consoles. It would be pretty hard to figure that out.

If anyone is interested, G.A.M.E.'s next album will be dedicated to WipeOut HD, and will be an alternate unnofficial custom soundtrack for the game, you can check out the progress of the project here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12084684#post12084684

I'm going to totally change that timeline heheh. I figured the game was coming out at the end of this month!

Jonnyram

consoul said:
There's no way a first party studio could push "the silicon" to 1080p 60fps, given that Ridge Racer 7 was doing it online on day one back in 2006.
Ridge Racer did drop frames at 1080p though. And Ridge Racer doesn't have weapons either :p

Aww, I missed this thread. It would've been fun to speculate on the mysterious super bug.

- Tears holes into space-time continuum.
- Console spontaneously bursts into flames from all the awesome. Sony afraid people will misinterpret it as a hardware defect.
- When you die in the game, you die in real life.
- PS3 refuses to exit the game and power down...forever.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Is this actually a technical problem or a legal one?

I can't think of anything that could delay the release of a practically complete game for 6 months. They have access to top men, after all.

Top men.

BeeDog

If that's the issue, why don't they just add a "plain" filter that removes all the flashy graphics, and a BIG FUCKING DISCLAIMER at the beginning of the game?

Mmmkay

Oh snaaap, that sucks if true. I hope their solution isn't to have a 30fps mode out of the box, and make you agree to a disclaimer if you want 60fps.

nofi

Mmmkay said:
Oh snaaap, that sucks if true. I hope their solution isn't to have a 30fps mode out of the box, and make you agree to a disclaimer if you want 60fps.

30fps might be worse.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well that that I Wikied, this is just a collection of old tracks, mainly from Pure and Pulse?

... That's what people have been creaming over? I could understand remaking the PS1 tracks and being excited about that, but the PSP games?

And in all honesty, if it's really not hitting until at LEAST Christmas, why even bother at that point? I'd love a brand new console Wipeout. :\

I can think of 2 possibilities.

1) It's being held up by firmware.

2) Critical members of the dev team left and new guys are just coming in and are trying to understand the code before getting to the bug fixes.

Grayman

The sixaxis is a better controller than the psp.

the epilepsy thing makes sense. Cut visualization mode? Or have a ninty style press A warning. I don't know if they could get away with that because of innocent bystanders?

FirewalkR

Game is so freaking fast and smooth and colourful it busts people's brains.

Do you see people, this is the reason why lots of games this gen have few colours!!! Monochromaticity (does that even exist) saves you!

FightyF

Banned
Wollan said:
Sounds plausible.

It does...but putting a 6 month delay for such a problem seems odd. "Indefinitely" would be the more suitable timeframe considering the nature of the epilepsy issue.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Grayman said:
The sixaxis is a better controller than the psp.

Well, yeah. But I literally just went through these stages and I destroyed Pure after playing it for a year+.

I'd just rather them focus on a new game. :\

nofi

FightyF said:
It does...but putting a 6 month delay for such a problem seems odd. "Indefinitely" would be the more suitable timeframe considering the nature of the epilepsy issue.

It's not a 6 month delay, that's the maximum amount of time they reckon it'll take to fix.

I thought people with epilepsy shouldn't be able to play games.

I mean, if they can't release the game cause of that, then why do we get those "people with epilepsy musn't play this" warnings in some games?

Metalmurphy said:
I thought people with epilepsy shouldn't be able to play games.

I mean, if they can't release the game cause of that, then why do we get those "people with epilepsy musn't play this" warnings in some games?

I think there's a difference between "Probably Should Avoid" and "Put You In A Coma". Mild strobes are dangerous. Strong strobes are really really dangerous.

(I think.)

If the delay is epilepsy related, the culprit is probably the Zone mode. This means we'll see an overhaul of Zone tracks or see them completely removed. I think the first is the most plausible because this would take up a quite some extra time. Probably 6 months yes.

hc2

I work with epilepsy patients. Sometimes we admit them to the epilepsy unit to record seizures. We take them off their medications and video/EEG monitor them. As a way to induce seizures, sometimes we use a strobe light. It is not very,very bright-maybe equivalent to a 60-75 watt light bulb.
A lot of video games, movies, TV programs can induce seizures by flashing lights. Riding in a car with the sun setting behind some trees can produce a strobe light effect.
If this game induced seizures in epileptics, I still do not see why it would be held up. Other games that have been released can produce the effect.
And strobe lights do not produce seizures in the majority of epileptics even when they are off their anticonvulsant medication. We also use hyperventilation, sleep deprivation, and exercise to induce seizures (so gaming in general would be suspect now that we have the Wii.)

I believe it is more of a technical reason- and I'm guessing it is the online component that is causing problems. Just a guess though, no actual facts.

hc2 said:
I work with epilepsy patients. Sometimes we admit them to the epilepsy unit to record seizures. We take them off their medications and video/EEG monitor them. As a way to induce seizures, sometimes we use a strobe light. It is not very,very bright-maybe equivalent to a 60-75 watt light bulb.
A lot of video games, movies, TV programs can induce seizures by flashing lights. Riding in a car with the sun setting behind some trees can produce a strobe light effect.
If this game induced seizures in epileptics, I still do not see why it would be held up. Other games that have been released can produce the effect.
And strobe lights do not produce seizures in the majority of epileptics even when they are off their anticonvulsant medication. We also use hyperventilation, sleep deprivation, and exercise to induce seizures (so gaming in general would be suspect now that we have the Wii.)

I believe it is more of a technical reason- and I'm guessing it is the online component that is causing problems. Just a guess though, no actual facts.

Is it possible for things to induce epileptic-like seizures in people who don't have epilepsy?

Now talking from a business stand point is it really that smart to move a downloadable game back this far? Now I don't know number but how well could a high prices downloadable game sell on the store? Is it enough to break even or do they actually make a lot of profit off those game. Wouldn't it be smarter just to get it out the door as quick as possible?

There has to be something else other then a "tech" problem that pushes a game back over half a year.

Top Bottom