• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

delaystation hits again, this time wipeout hd

If I had to guess I'd say they ran across some serious bug in the Cell/RSX silicon or the O/S itself and a fix is not easy to pull off.

That or they want integration with Home and that system isn't ready yet.

Zoe

Jinfash said:
that really really sucks, i honestly bought that chubigans' conspiracy theory about how "no mention of WOHD=surprise release" :/

EDIT: this is a picture of the bug that the dev team couldn't kill, it looks like it's nothing but when closely inspected...

*OHGODAHHHHHHHHH image*

Keep that shit in the OT T_T

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Zoe said:
Keep that shit in the OT T_T
Hahahha. Look, here's a picture of a laughing monkey

1116356815E4VaqP.jpg

Because you actually just said that.

Pimpwerx

So the Xmas delay is not a joke? Wow! Seriously....wow! Is this worse than the problems Warhawk underwent? At least we can look forward to a polished game this winter...I guess. PEACE.

That must be some big ass technical issue. Nobody in Sony can fix it, wow.

Ask MS
:lol

I find it hard to beleive there is a Issue that nobody can fix in Sony. The only case that would be if that Wipeout has some programming that screws up the Cell Processor.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they hurry up and get this out. I've been counting on it for my F-Zero fix, since Nintendo apparently has no interest in making their own game.

JB1981

This is why these downloadable titles are fucking stupid.

The dev time is as long as a full retail title. Just make the real thing and stop wasting your time, Sony. Or just ask Insomniac to do all the work.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Monroeski said:
I've been counting on it for my F-Zero fix

this is like counting on a wagyu steak for your cheezburger fix. unfortunately A MYSTERIOUS CULINARY MISHAP has delayed the wagyu steak indefinitely

qirex99

Banned
Myzer said:
Unfortunately Occam's razor doesn't really fit it in this situation, as preview code has been available to various media for quite some time now, and 60fps at 1080p is not an issue with that preview version of the game.

re-read my post SLOWLY.

"...under certain sitiuations'

just b/c the game ran fine in a preview build does NOT mean that the final code with multi, weapons etc, 12 sleds on sagramotha etc.

maybe 2-3 laps are fine, but 3+ and the frame rate gets crap.

its DEFINITELY a technical issue and its definitely something thats TOO obvious that they ant just sneak it out (especially with the pixel counters at Beyond3d anxiously waiting....)

Loudninja

JB1981 said:
This is why these downloadable titles are fucking stupid.

The dev time is as long as a full retail title. Just make the real thing and stop wasting your time, Sony. Or just ask Insomniac to do all the work.

Do you EVEN know what you are talking about?Most of these are full titles.

qirex99

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
That must be some big ass technical issue. Nobody in Sony can fix it, wow.

Ask MS
:lol

I find it hard to beleive there is a Issue that nobody can fix in Sony. The only case that would be if that Wipeout has some programming that screws up the Cell Processor.

maybe ship the game with a plug in additional RSX/XENOS to help things up a bit?

1080p @60fps...12 players, online, voice chat, xmb...really?

too much work to do, too little silicon muscle, too big a mouth and many, many, uncashed checks....

BeeDog

qirex99 said:
re-read my post SLOWLY.

"...under certain sitiuations'

just b/c the game ran fine in a preview build does NOT mean that the final code with multi, weapons etc, 12 sleds on sagramotha etc.

maybe 2-3 laps are fine, but 3+ and the frame rate gets crap.

its DEFINITELY a technical issue and its definitely something thats TOO obvious that they ant just sneak it out (especially with the pixel counters at Beyond3d anxiously waiting....)

You really think framerate drops is such a serious issue to merit all the secrecy around it, and that the Sony studios can't seem to get it fixed?

nofi

qirex99 said:
maybe ship the game with a plug in additional RSX/XENOS to help things up a bit?

too much work to do, too little silicon muscle, too big a mouth and many, many, uncashed checks....

Wow.

Quoting for posterity.

I don't see how it can be anything feature based, especially graphically. If they don't have the performance, they can make some cuts and it would work. If it's an actual bug related to some feature, I can't imagine why all of Sony would be stumped and why they would then be public about that fact.

I'm thinking it has to be something legal based, like one of the coders reverse engineered a stolen early copy of idtech 5 or something equally horrible.

panda21

I can't imagine it being something as simple as trophies, I'd guess its either a lie and its being delayed for marketing reasons or something, or its some hardcore low level bug with the hardware that no one has been able to find a decent way round..

its an internal sony dev right? i always thought studio liverpool where pretty hardcore technically.. i mean wipeout pure is stunning

Firewire

Banned
qirex99 said:

wtf is this bs?

Akala

Horrible news.

I think that when this finally ships it'll have a nice, shiny "4" in the name instead of "HD."

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Adam Locked said:
I say Sony should just take their time with this.
Well, they already *have* taken their time though, considering it was already positioned as a game that might make it out in 2007 as a gap-fill to the a real, full-blown Wipeout game. Now, it's struggling to make it out before the ball drops on 2009.

what a disappointment.
The other console effort was plagued with delays and when it finally launched was full of bugs and stupid little things which ruined the series.
I hope HD does not face the same fate.

qirex99

Banned
Firewire said:
wtf is this bs?

truth.

its not uncommon for PS3 releases to be plagued w/ delays due to the complex hardware.

I'v been waiting for months (really years) to play this. Im all about AG systems, Auricom research, FEISAR...QIREX!

but the simple fact is that Sony knows they cant release this at anything LESS than AAA status. Im sure the game runs great on a simple track, but orange box level slideshow in WIPEFUCKINOUT HD is simply unacceptable...as is dropping back to 30fps...as is dropping comnplex levels from online play...

as is dropping down to 720 or COD-esque 600p aint gonna cut it. Not with quaz out there at least...:)

Basically, Sony simply cant afford to say "we cant get this game to run great on our own hardware, so we had to remove feature X". Doing so will basically confirm what many devs have said, the PS3 is a great piece of kit, but its hard, hard to extract the max.

if it WERE some garden variety "bug", they would HAPPILY tell you.

i dont see why it comes as a such a shock. Software is upgradeable...console silicon is not.

even crap games get delayed...why not the mother pearl?

remove the mystery and stare at the truth. it hurts...i know.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
qirex99 said:
truth.

its not uncommon for PS3 releases to be plagued w/ delays due to the complex hardware.

I'v been waiting for months (really years) to play this. Im all about AG systems, Auricom research, FEISAR...QIREX!

but the simple fact is that Sony knows they cant release this at anything LESS than AAA status. Im sure the game runs great on a simple track, but orange box level slideshow in WIPEFUCKINOUT HD is simply unacceptable...as is dropping back to 30fps...as is dropping comnplex levels from online play...

as is dropping down to 720 or COD-esque 600p aint gonna cut it. Not with quaz out there at least...:)

Basically, Sony simply cant afford to say "we cant get this game to run great on our own hardware, so we had to remove feature X". Doing so will basically confirm what many devs have said, the PS3 is a great piece of kit, but its hard, hard to extract the max.

i dont see why it comes as a such a shock. Software is upgradeable...console silicon is not.

You don't know what you are talking about.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
qirex99 said:
truth.

Yeah I'm sure that's what you meant with both of your giant trolls. Silicon blah blah blah. Right.

Oni Jazar

YYZ said:
next thing we'll hear that LBP is being delayed too, WTF Sony. There's literally nothing from them this summer besides Siren: Blood Curse and PixelJunk Eden, including non-PSN games!

Atta boy, fan the flames of hysteria. You'll do just fine.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
qirex99 said:
truth.

It helps to remove the head out of your ass before you speak dude.

qirex99

Banned
your opinion vs mine.

your explanation: complex, conjecture-laden, nonsensical machinations that make no sense and have a low probability of mutually inclusive occurence.

Mine: simple. ps3 chugs on wiepout HD at TRUEHD rez.

Should stayed in school. Simple statistics. Venn diagram LOOK IT UP!

qirex99

Banned
drakesfortune said:
Yeah I'm sure that's what you meant with both of your giant trolls. Silicon blah blah blah. Right.

its a troll b/c i dont agree with you?

mmmkay.

go back to you $18/hr pissants existence!

lol

The thing is, the game was already running at nearly 60fps at 1080p, there are people in the games media that have played it. I think if they were that close, they might drop the resolution a little, still have it over 720p and be set. I really don't think that's the issue in this case. Heck, I'd be fine if they dropped the resolution a little below 720p, with the way the game looks. I really don't think this is the case.

Russtic said:
Drop the 1080P, its a waste.

All this speculation over performance issues is ridiculous.

Preview builds ran fine with just a little tearing.
Bugs come up at the end of development all the time, not speccing your platform properly does not.

Benedict

Seems like there are different stories depending who you ask.

******* talked to SCEE's Charlotte Panther in the Sony room and demanded an explanation. Apparently, WipEout is still in development to add "extra features."

RBH

Disappointing news. I'm still new to the Wipeout franchise, but I've enjoyed the PSP version and am interested in seeing how this turns out.

kevm3

I agree with the notion that now that Sony has won the Blu-Ray war, they should drop the retarded 1080P bulletpoint and stop forcing it on their games. Drop down to 720P for more detail and effects and a more stable framerate. Do the same for GT5 and use that to add more detail to the backgrounds, since the cars are virtually perfect.

If somebody "thinks" they know what the problem might be and doesn't say, then I would have to assume they are either: a) under NDA, b) afraid (of the truth pissing off the company and losing access), c) on the company's payroll, d) saving their speculation for a hit-driving article, or e) yanking our collective chains.

Orobi

I don't believe the technical problems version. I agree with that one who told Koei is pushing for Sony to posticipate the release of Wipeout HD in order to not battle the great fantastic super Fatal Inertia.

Top Bottom