• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Corwood Rep
rather mediocre, really
rather like a middling Yorkshire pudding
(08-14-2008, 10:04 PM)
Corwood Rep's Avatar
Okay, yeah, local news is bullshit and I watched his 10:00 newscast pretty much exclusively as background noise, but I liked that guy a whole lot, he was really damn good at his job, and the in-joke factor of his Arrested Development character is sorta bittersweet now.

Any LA gaffers who watched his newscast disappointed he's not around any more?

P.S. The AD episode where he's in the restaurant during the Michael/Kitty fight and leaves, repeatedly muttering "can't be a part of the story, can't be a part of the story, can't be a part of the story," followed by the clip of that night's newscast with the "I"-Witness headline is still completely fucking hilarious.

I made a facebook group for it. Justice will prevail.
Last edited by Corwood Rep; 08-14-2008 at 10:25 PM.
SUPREME1
Banned
(08-14-2008, 10:07 PM)
SUPREME1's Avatar
Joghn Beard was the shit for many years, I remember when he first came to KTTV (L.A.'s Fox affiliate).... he jumped right in and didn't miss a beat. My how the years fly...

With that said, welcome to the new Latino World* Order.

Where white guys don't f*ck enough to keep up with the population race... and you get your 10:00 news from some Mexican guy that used to be on channel 5.


:D
Corwood Rep
rather mediocre, really
rather like a middling Yorkshire pudding
(08-14-2008, 10:12 PM)
Corwood Rep's Avatar
Actually, I know John Beard's explanation for his firing is skewed in his favor, but knowing the way television journalism works in California, he's probably being honest in saying he was fired for not doing celebrity news and similar bullshit (he probably neglected to mention that his demographic probably didn't skew very heavily Latino, a demographic southern California newsfolk need to start reaching out to more if they want ratings). Hard news doesn't sell and it's a fucking tragedy. Newspapers in California as well are losing a lot of hard news vets to people who are basically in the business of marketing.

P.S. My area of expertise is pretty much just California, so I can't speak with any actual authority about news media trends nationwide, but intuition tells me it's the same picture.
Last edited by Corwood Rep; 08-14-2008 at 10:17 PM.
BattleSwan
Member
(08-14-2008, 10:14 PM)
So sad! I like his little rant on his website about the mess:

"If you're new to this site here's what happened. I was fired by KTTV effective Dec. 1st. despite the highest ratings in the station's history. They gave no reason.. but for the last few years it was clear we had vast editorial differences. I fought hard against increasing celebrity coverage at the expense of real news and simply put...I lost. One thing you may not know. KTTV and every other television station has a news room of professionals, most of whom would like to put a respected product on the air. But middle (and sometimes higher) management makes the editorial choices. Too often, they make management (frequently consultant-driven) choices, not journalistic choices, and the result has been the dumbing down of the product (this is not unique to LA)."

via: http://www.johnbeard.com/

RIP: Real News. We hardly knew yee.
SUPREME1
Banned
(08-14-2008, 10:15 PM)
SUPREME1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aristotlekh

You know, actually, I know John Beard's explanation for his firing is biased, but knowing the way television journalism works in California, he's probably being honest that he was fired for not doing celebrity news and similar bullshit (he probably neglected to mention that in all likelihood his demographic didn't skew very heavily Latino, a demographic southern California newsfolk need to start reaching out to more if they want to keep their jobs).


Fixed for accuracy and reality...

The new Latino World Order reality.


:D
SUPREME1
Banned
(08-14-2008, 10:18 PM)
SUPREME1's Avatar

Originally Posted by BattleSwan

So sad! I like his little rant on his website about the mess:

"If you're new to this site here's what happened. I was fired by KTTV effective Dec. 1st. despite the highest ratings in the station's history. They gave no reason.. but for the last few years it was clear we had vast editorial differences. I fought hard against increasing celebrity coverage at the expense of real news and simply put...I lost. One thing you may not know. KTTV and every other television station has a news room of professionals, most of whom would like to put a respected product on the air. But middle (and sometimes higher) management makes the editorial choices. Too often, they make management (frequently consultant-driven) choices, not journalistic choices, and the result has been the dumbing down of the product (this is not unique to LA)."

via: http://www.johnbeard.com/

RIP: Real News. We hardly knew yee.

All my BSing aside, yeah.... sucks that he got fired. I thought he just decided to move on... that's what I got from watching them announce the new guy.

How shady.

Anyway, he's 100% right about the celebrity news now being totally out of control. One reason why I really don't watch local news.

I get my news from NEWS-GAF.
Cornballer
foul temptress
(08-14-2008, 10:20 PM)
Cornballer's Avatar
John Beard: We’ve obtained photographs that officials call definite proof of WMDs in Iraq. What that means for your weekend, at 10:00.

I never knew he was a real newscaster - always thought he was an actor. :lol
BattleSwan
Member
(08-14-2008, 10:29 PM)

Originally Posted by ImperialConquest

All my BSing aside, yeah.... sucks that he got fired. I thought he just decided to move on... that's what I got from watching them announce the new guy.

How shady.

Anyway, he's 100% right about the celebrity news now being totally out of control. One reason why I really don't watch local news.

I get my news from NEWS-GAF.

Yeah finding real news in LA is pretty tough these days, since the population would rather be pacified than, you know, actually *informed* about anything. But that's another rant for another OT. XD
Corwood Rep
rather mediocre, really
rather like a middling Yorkshire pudding
(08-14-2008, 10:33 PM)
Corwood Rep's Avatar
There's still something of a crisis at the LA Times because their actual reporter/journalist staff wants hard news but the paper hemorrhages money when they only do hard news, so there's a huge push for hyperlocalization and celebrity bullshit. As their actual news staff trickles away, which it is, it too is going to become a clusterfuck of "Paris Hilton spotted getting into a car in Malibu and people say she's a whore!" which is unfortunate as the Times has done some completely excellent national issue-oriented reporting.
SUPREME1
Banned
(08-14-2008, 10:36 PM)
SUPREME1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aristotlekh

There's still something of a crisis at the LA Times because their actual reporter/journalist staff wants hard news but the paper hemorrhages money when they only do hard news, so there's a huge push for hyperlocalization and celebrity bullshit. As their actual news staff trickles away, which it is, it too is going to become a clusterfuck of "Paris Hilton spotted getting into a car in Malibu and people say she's a whore!" which is unfortunate as the Times has done some completely excellent national issue-oriented reporting.



All this is due to people not buying newspapers like before.

The Internet and cable killed the newspaper.
Corwood Rep
rather mediocre, really
rather like a middling Yorkshire pudding
(08-14-2008, 10:38 PM)
Corwood Rep's Avatar
Which is unfortunate because it means a need for instant gratification which means sacrificing research integrity to get a story out the door as fast as possible.
SUPREME1
Banned
(08-14-2008, 11:02 PM)
SUPREME1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aristotlekh

Which is unfortunate because it means a need for instant gratification which means sacrificing research integrity to get a story out the door as fast as possible.


Yup.

Journsalsim is a dying artform, though there a few people who (even though are online and can get the word out fastest) refuse to skip on their due diligence.
quailtamer
Member
(08-14-2008, 11:02 PM)
we have to do something
Infinitemadness
Member
(08-14-2008, 11:47 PM)
Infinitemadness's Avatar
Haha, wasn't he also the news guy on the old Fox Animated Spider-Man?
smurfx
get some go again
(08-15-2008, 01:14 AM)
smurfx's Avatar
since i was a kid fox 11 has always been where i got my news. when i'm bored i watch channel 9 for news but i always tune in to channel 11 because the simpsons is on after it. :D
Ford Prefect
GAAAAAAAAY
(08-15-2008, 01:27 AM)
Ford Prefect's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aristotlekh

P.S. The AD episode where he's in the restaurant during the Michael/Kitty fight and leaves, repeatedly muttering "can't be a part of the story, can't be a part of the story, can't be a part of the story," followed by the clip of that night's newscast with the "I"-Witness headline is still completely fucking hilarious.

Wow, yet another AD joke I hadn't noticed before.

Truly the gift that keeps on giving!
Fun Factor
Formerly FTWer
(08-15-2008, 06:27 AM)
Fun Factor's Avatar

Originally Posted by ImperialConquest

Fixed for accuracy and reality...

The new Latino World Order reality.


:D




Believe!
bluemax
Banned
(08-15-2008, 10:04 AM)
I didn't know he was fired. I will miss him.
mikeGFG
Member
(08-15-2008, 10:19 AM)
mikeGFG's Avatar
This is a fucking outrage imo. :(

At least we still have Tony McEwing and Al Naipo holding it down for the morning news.
Brian Fellows
Banned
(08-15-2008, 10:21 AM)
Brian Fellows's Avatar

Originally Posted by FTWer



Believe!


EL DANDY!

I joined the facebook group. I'm in the Freddy Krueger polo. :D
carbonbased
Member
(08-15-2008, 10:37 AM)
carbonbased's Avatar
that's too bad, I used to get all my news from him. his appearance in AD was classic.

Thread Tools