• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Last Remnant Screens

N.A

Banned
http://spongychicken.com/2008/09/24/the-last-remnant-new-screens-artwork/

lastremnant005.jpg

battle_ss016.jpg

irina02.jpg

torgal01.jpg

lastremnant007.jpg

lastremnant015.jpg

battle_ss001.jpg

battle_ss002.jpg

lastremnant028.jpg

CAVE343

screens could be better but I think the game will still deliver.
The town shot looks interesting, but I see lots of jaggies

Aaron

turk128 said:
Wasn't this called Lost Odyssey? Seriously, it's all running together and looking the same now.
I don't even like LO and it looks 10x better than this game, both in raw visuals and art direction.

eXistor

This doesn't look bad at all, are you all ainsane? I've seen better, but this isn't ugly in the slightest.

soul

one of the press assets is also an 87mb PDF file that expands on the storyline, I'm currently downloading and will post the info when done. There's also an 187mb PDF file that describes the battle system, and I'll post the info when done, as well.

CAVE343

soul said:
one of the press assets is also an 87mb PDF file that expands on the storyline, I'm currently downloading and will post the info when done. There's also an 187mb PDF file that describes the battle system, and I'll post the info when done, as well.

Ok nice, I've been wanting to hear more (if anything) about the battle system.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
soul said:
Nothing much in the story pdf. I've sent the content of the battle pdf to duckroll, I'm sure he'll do something with it.

Kuran

Banned
This looks horrible. And the fourth shot makes me feel dirty for some reason.

Everyone seems to have hair though!

Aeana

What I've just read about the battle system intrigues me, although I do hope it's a bit more interactive than it sounds. I don't really care about graphics at all, but the game itself definitely sounds neat.

Polari

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lot better than this from Square-Enix. The new Star Ocean looks a whole lot better. I wouldn't be surprised if this was outsourced, it seems telling that they're using UE3 rather than an internal engine. The art direction isn't doing the game any favours either, bland.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
These are the credits listed in the pdf btw:
Event Director KOJI KOBAYASHI
Composer TSUYOSHI SEKITO
Art Producer YUSUKE NAO
Executive Producer AKITOSHI WAZU
Produced by NOBUYUKI UEDA
Directed by HIROSHI TAI
Chief Artist KIMIHIKO MIYAMAE

Aeana

Polari said:
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a lot better than this from Square-Enix. The new Star Ocean looks a whole lot better. I wouldn't be surprised if this was outsourced, it seems telling that they're using UE3 rather than an internal engine. The art direction isn't doing the game any favours either, bland.

Star Ocean is a tri-Ace game, and as far as I know, Last Remnant is made by Minstrel Song people.

EDIT: Beaten to the staff list, but it has some errors, so here it is fixed:

Composer TSUYOSHI SEKITO
Art Producer YUSUKE NAORA
Executive Producer AKITOSHI KAWAZU
Directed by HIROSHI TAKAI

soul

Blimblim said:
These are the credits listed in the pdf btw:
Composer TSUYOSHI SEKITO
Art Producer YUSUKE NAO
Executive Producer AKITOSHI WAZU
Directed by HIROSHI TAI

No new name here :( these are the names they credited all along.

Hunahan

Banned
Looks a little rough in spots, but at this point I'm just withholding judgement until I can see the TGS playable build.

It's bizarre how little we really know about this game considering it's release date.

duckroll

Okay, let's see *grumble*...

Battle Commands

In the world of THE LAST REMNANT, battles are fought between multiple friendly and enemy unions. Players give commands to unions as a whole, who perform actions accordingly. Orders in battle are given in a command-select style. However these battle commands will not be set terms like "Attack" or "Magic," but rather specialized orders like "Tear them to shreds!" or "Attack, but watch yourselves!"

Available commands change depending on conditions like the current battle situation, or the distance and positions of friendly and hostile unions. The player must consider all these factors to craft a victorious battle strategy.

Morale

Morale refers to the determination and spirit of the characters in battle. Players can check current morale via a gauge across the top of the screen, easing tactics and general battle management. The higher the morale, the more damage is dealt and less damage is taken by friendly unions, and vice-versa. Battle commands also change with the current morale level, keeping players on their toes.

Encounter System

In the world of THE LAST REMNANT, enemy monsters freely roam the land, where they can be avoided or engaged at will. When battle is initiated, the scene changes to a specialized battle map where friend and foe fight it out. Battles are fought between multiple friendly and enemy unions, groups of up to five characters who fight together. Players give commands to unions as a whole, who perform actions accordingly.

Deadlock

When friendly and enemy unions are close enough for melee combat, they enter a state called Deadlock. Once in deadlock, the two unions cannot change targets, but must fight each other until one has been completely destroyed.

Strategy

Once every friendly union is issued a command, they will take action accordingly. The turn is over when all friendly and hostile unions have completed their assigned actions. The horizontally-lined icons labeled A, B, C, etc., represent hostile unions. The player can choose which hostile union they wish to attack on this screen.

Next, while keeping careful consideration of the placement and conditions of each union, a battle command must be selected. A variety of commands can place focus on dealing damage or executing defensive strategies. Knowing which command is suitable in each situation is the key to winning battles.

duckroll sez

The battle system sounds interesting, and it's definitely an innovative way to have a battle system involving a large number of characters in battle without the game being bogged down by issuing commands to 10-20 characters individually. But will it be fun and strategic? It depends on how it's implemented and how much variety there is in battle commands, and also how good the AI is. I think it could be pretty interesting, but since we since don't have a single clear battle video, it's too early to tell.

Aeana

Thanks for doing the dirty work, duckroll. :)

duckroll said:
duckroll sez

The battle system sounds interesting, and it's definitely an innovative way to have a battle system involving a large number of characters in battle without the game being bogged down by issuing commands to 10-20 characters individually. But will it be fun and strategic? It depends on how it's implemented and how much variety there is in battle commands, and also how good the AI is. I think it could be pretty interesting, but since we since don't have a single clear battle video, it's too early to tell.

Yeah. Like I said in an earlier post, it certainly sounds really cool, but I just hope it's more interactive than it sounds.

Hunahan

Banned
Pretty much the same information we had before, albeit with a bit more phrasing detail eh.

Oh well. Thanks duckroll.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
duckroll said:
Okay, let's see *grumble*...

Battle Commands

In the world of THE LAST REMNANT, battles are fought between multiple friendly and enemy unions. Players give commands to unions as a whole, who perform actions accordingly. Orders in battle are given in a command-select style. However these battle commands will not be set terms like "Attack" or "Magic," but rather specialized orders like "Tear them to shreds!" or "Attack, but watch yourselves!"

Available commands change depending on conditions like the current battle situation, or the distance and positions of friendly and hostile unions. The player must consider all these factors to craft a victorious battle strategy.

Morale

Morale refers to the determination and spirit of the characters in battle. Players can check current morale via a gauge across the top of the screen, easing tactics and general battle management. The higher the morale, the more damage is dealt and less damage is taken by friendly unions, and vice-versa. Battle commands also change with the current morale level, keeping players on their toes.

Encounter System

In the world of THE LAST REMNANT, enemy monsters freely roam the land, where they can be avoided or engaged at will. When battle is initiated, the scene changes to a specialized battle map where friend and foe fight it out. Battles are fought between multiple friendly and enemy unions, groups of up to five characters who fight together. Players give commands to unions as a whole, who perform actions accordingly.

Deadlock

When friendly and enemy unions are close enough for melee combat, they enter a state called Deadlock. Once in deadlock, the two unions cannot change targets, but must fight each other until one has been completely destroyed.

Strategy

Once every friendly union is issued a command, they will take action accordingly. The turn is over when all friendly and hostile unions have completed their assigned actions. The horizontally-lined icons labeled A, B, C, etc., represent hostile unions. The player can choose which hostile union they wish to attack on this screen.

Next, while keeping careful consideration of the placement and conditions of each union, a battle command must be selected. A variety of commands can place focus on dealing damage or executing defensive strategies. Knowing which command is suitable in each situation is the key to winning battles.

duckroll sez

Me likey.

Thanks, man.

manzo

Aeana said:
Wow, I didn't know Sekito had any fans.

His Romancing Saga remixes, Dew Prism OST and FFX work is honey to my ears.

More like, his battle/boss themes rock.

Aeana

manzo said:
His Romancing Saga remixes, Dew Prism OST and FFX work is honey to my ears.

More like, his battle/boss themes rock.

But Sekito had nothing to do with Dew Prism or FFX. I think you're thinking of Junya Nakano.

manzo

Aeana said:
But Sekito had nothing to do with Dew Prism or FFX. I think you're thinking of Junya Nakano.

Oh fuck. You're right. :(

Still, the Romasaga + boss battles points hold.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This is what happens when a JRPG developer tries to develop a game with western RPG intentions.

Top Bottom