• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Last Remnant Screens

Darkman M

Conflict NZ said:
This is GAF alright, I'm looking at the screens thinking "These look pretty good" then the next five posts are "LOL PS2 GRAFIX". After Persona 3 and 4 I thought JRPG fans would learn that graphics aren't everything, apparently not.

Graphics aren't everything, i still play ps2 games till this day, but somewhere you gotta draw a line and ask yourself how much effort they put behind the game, i know you can get a tad bit more outta the PS3/360, if this was a Wii game no one would complain at all.

Persona 3 looks quite great on my ps3 upscaled for what it is.

Honolulu

Neo Member
2-bit alpha for hair :lol
It's been a while since I used UnrealEd3, but It's a shame the engine is a total twat when handling alpha, especially when artists who actually are awesome at making hair can't do shit with it. :(

mr stroke

wait whats going on here? these early shots looked great(bullshots maybe?)
777.jpg

111111.jpg

Casshern

Banned
Darkman M said:
Graphics aren't everything, i still play ps2 games till this day, but somewhere you gotta draw a line and ask yourself how much effort they put behind the game, i know you can get a tad bit more outta the PS3/360, if this was a Wii game no one would complain at all.

I'd still be complaining. It's not just about the graphics, the art of this game is horrendous. Really terrible. UT3 and jRPGs are a combination made in hell.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Casshern said:
I'd still be complaining. It's not just about the graphics, the art of this game is horrendous. Really terrible. UT3 and jRPGs are a combination made in hell.
When do I see the 10 inch thick armor!!!!? :D

MrDenny

Don't worry too much about the Jags. I'm pretty sure its due to compression, since some of the letters are jaggy too. Graphics look great, don't know why people are complaining when they are looking at bad snapshots of the game. Just watch this trailer to get a sense of the gameplay and refresh your memories.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35019.html

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
MrDenny said:
Don't worry too much about the Jags. I'm pretty sure its due to compression, since some of the letters are jaggy too.
JPeg compression doesn't make jags or make them more noticeable - if anything it reduces them.

Askia47

I still cant wrap my head around why U3 is the problem. Everyone blames it, but isnt it a strong engine? Hopefully the game will be probably be better in motion, and still surprise people.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Askia47 said:
I still cant wrap my head around why U3 is the problem. Everyone blames it, but isnt it a strong engine? Hopefully the game will be probably be better in motion, and still surprise people.
It works for certain games but clearly it's not this almighty versatile engine I'd have hoped for. On top of that you can really tell by the look of the characters that it's a UE3 game. It's not the new renderware to me.

jrricky

Banned
Holy crap Square. I dont mind graphics too much but your a quality developer on a powerful platform and this just looks bad and generic with no love put into it. I mean, I think square should just not release any more console games until they are finished with Final Fantasy so they can have more power to work on the other games.

Need to see in motion though the first videos didnt impress me either :/

some screens look good, some don't look good. ultimately it looks promising though

I'm more interested in the non-visual stuff. The battle system sounds interesting, and I'm excited to hear an entire OST by Tsuyoshi Sekito. DO YOU GUYS KNOW HOW AWESOME HE IS??????

_Xenon_

Banned
Looks like they removed AA and watered down the texture detail hell a lot.

It seems UE3 is pretty much overrated this gen. Almost every UE3 driven game has some sort of issues about texture streaming / slow down or something :(

Should have waited for id tech 5.

FateBreaker said:
some screens look good, some don't look good. ultimately it looks promising though

I'm more interested in the non-visual stuff. The battle system sounds interesting, and I'm excited to hear an entire OST by Tsuyoshi Sekito. DO YOU GUYS KNOW HOW AWESOME HE IS??????

I agree here with Fate, I hope the end result is a game that is decent enough to look at with great gameplay and a stable framerate.

Nemesis_

Is Square themselves developing this?

Graphics aside, I'm really only interested in the Gameplay and if it's fucking terrible like FFXII or FFXI then I think I'll pass.

Honolulu said:
2-bit alpha for hair :lol
It's been a while since I used UnrealEd3, but It's a shame the engine is a total twat when handling alpha, especially when artists who actually are awesome at making hair can't do shit with it. :(
Wait, so UE3 really does have a problem with hair? No fucking wonder we have all these Bald Space Marine Shooters - well not really, but I think it's piss funny anyway.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
KingJ2002 said:
they should have never used the unreal engine.
I remember IGN posting the news that Square would be using the Unreal as the video game equilvalent of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie getting married.

Oh how wrong they were. :/

n1n9tean

Banned
Ghaaa. I just watched that trailer and I realized....I'm too old for this game. I can no longer stand such shitty dialogue. I don't have the time or patience to play through a game like this.

The only thing this game is "promising" is shattered dreams.

Looks like SE were suckered in by the promises of UE3... which has really turned out to be a pretty poor engine this gen when all is said and done.

nelsonroyale said:
cry engine 2 needs to come to consoles.... UE3 is inferior in every way except having lower system requirements

Cry 2? Doesn't really seem to viable for consoles. A little too power hungry. More Dunia and Tech 5 games please...

sankao

Poimandres said:
Cry 2? Doesn't really seem to viable for consoles. A little too power hungry. More Dunia and Tech 5 games please...

Or even renderware. Crackdown used it and it had a good framerate with lots of objects on screen and an incredible draw distance.

Poimandres said:

I dunno, Ill post a pic of how it looks on my dell laptop...the game runs very well if properly configured...

c8e2ce6353.jpg

250b49cc1a.jpg

sorry bout this, just wanted to show that the game can run nice on a less than stellar machine....it looks much nicer in motion as well

Awntawn

MrDenny said:
Don't worry too much about the Jags. I'm pretty sure its due to compression, since some of the letters are jaggy too. Graphics look great, don't know why people are complaining when they are looking at bad snapshots of the game. Just watch this trailer to get a sense of the gameplay and refresh your memories.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35019.html
Good God, that has got to be the shittiest "stereotypical bad anime dialogue horribly translated and then half-assedly dubbed" dialogue I have seen in quite awhile...

Maybe they toned down the production values to match the quality of the script >.>

Graphics aren't everything, but I'm just not hyped for this in any way. I can't even believe this is Square-Enix. I mean, game play aside, you can usually count on them to pull through in the visual department. This just looks like ass. I'll definitely wait for reviews/impressions before I even think of picking this one up.

wow...i was looking forward to last remnant...scratch that from holidays must-buy.

screens look good? god, they're UGLY! and the dialogue was pretty lame too in that video up there...sigh

so much for the unreal engine 3...

M3d10n

nelsonroyale said:
sorry bout this, just wanted to show that the game can run nice on a less than stellar machine....it looks much nicer in motion as well
Run nice != run smooth. There's no way the 360 or the PS3 could run that at more than 15-20 fps. At 600p upscaled. Not to mention RAM issues.

Top Bottom