• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Last Remnant Screens

Haunted

Looks rough.

Some forced AA on the PC version will do the game good.

That said, the battle system certainly sounds interesting. Still a buy.

N.A said:
lastremnant005.jpg
:lol It's basically one tile copied and pasted eight times over.

Tiktaalik

battle_ss001.jpg

Loving this low poly sword.

Seriously some stuff looks really good and some stuff looks really bad. It's all over the place. In motion though it probably looks fine.

Darkpen

Banned
wow, what's with the lack of some AA? But I'll just assume it'll be totally engrossing and worth checking out. I like the art direction, anyways.

Screens look rough, but I'm definitely eagerly anticipating any info they let out on the game.

I can get past some rough visuals in my RPGs as long as there is enough depth.

Dante said:
Yuck! I guess all the real talent is on FF13 and Vs.
I've passed on quite a few RPGs this generation so far. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are the only two, and Phantasy Star Universe because it was cheap.

Sad thing is it'll probably end up staying this way until FFXIII comes out in 2027. Not much is interesting to me, and most RPGs this gen are using Tri-Ace's Star Ocean action battle system style, which is awful.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pretty disappointing visuals. This looks SIGNIFICANTLY worse than FFXIII and doesn't even stack up to Lost Odyssey, really. I suppose UE3 allowed them to get the game out the door earlier (this year) while FFXIII has taken a much larger budget and additional time, but you'd think they'd want to put their own technology to use after spending so much on it.

Paznos said:
Hmmm it looks kind of rough.... I wonder if the PS3 version will have AA.
It's UE3. Very rarely do UE3 console games use AA. There's certainly not AA present in Gears of War, Mass Effect, or any of the other top shelf UE3 titles yet they still look fantastic.

Paznos

dark10x said:
Pretty disappointing visuals. This looks SIGNIFICANTLY worse than FFXIII and doesn't even stack up to Lost Odyssey, really. I suppose UE3 allowed them to get the game out the door earlier (this year) while FFXIII has taken a much larger budget and additional time, but you'd think they'd want to put their own technology to use after spending so much on it.

It's UE3. Very rarely do UE3 console games use AA. There's certainly not AA present in Gears of War, Mass Effect, or any of the other top shelf UE3 titles yet they still look fantastic.
That's true but wasn't Lost Odyssey also using UE3? I don't remember it looking this jagged.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Graphics look murky and muddy as hell, too much brown, yadda yadda... but the battle system sounds unique and interesting.

Lebron

Doesn't look so hot. Then again, wouldn't be a first time a bad batch of pictures for a UE3 game has popped up. I still remember the Mass Effect fiasco:)lol). Not saying this is the case here, but I'm just saying. Anyway, the brief(real brief) gameplay segments they've shown in the trailers looked interesting. And the write up Duckroll posted is as well. I'm not really "that" interested in it, but I'll still play it for kicks. Maybe it'll surprise me. Hopefully they'll release a demo or something.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm actually pretty interested in this game and I hope it turns out great, but to say it looks like a PS2 game is an insult to FFXII and Valkyrie Profile Silmeria. Even Grandia III looks ready to fight.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
I wasn't as turned off regarding these screens as much as most seem to be. Definitely still on my radar, and hopefully will have solid characters, story, and music to make up for the slightly rough graphics.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Paznos said:
That's true but wasn't Lost Odyssey also using UE3? I don't remember it looking this jagged.
Yes, it used UE3 and no, it didn't use anti-aliasing. Image quality can vary greatly depending on how you design your assets. Gears looked very clean as a result of its art direction.

If you look at direct feed LO screenshots you'll see that the image quality is very similar to what we have here.

aparisi2274

turk128 said:
Wasn't this called Lost Odyssey? Seriously, it's all running together and looking the same now.

Thats what I was thinking...

LO
IU
LR
FF

All the SE games seem to be blending together into one unrecognizable mess...

RiZ III

I don't mind the art style, in fact I really like the shanty town with the repetitive roofs, but man UE3 just doesn't handle textures or depth of field very well.

duckroll

dark10x said:

Doesn't Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song look SIGNIFICANTLY worse than FFXII? It's just par for the course.

Well, wasn't Frame City Killer using unreal engine technology? I know it wasn't made by the same company, but we all remember how that looked, don't we? This definitely looks better than that to me, but it still looks, kind of early. Maybe some developers are having a somewhat difficult time getting a grasp on how to properly use UE3. I think the game will still be good though.

DiddyBop

didnt know rpg gaf were such graphic whores. the game looks decent enough,you all should be worrying about gameplay. id sacrifice textures for decent framerate any day of the week.

This is GAF alright, I'm looking at the screens thinking "These look pretty good" then the next five posts are "LOL PS2 GRAFIX". After Persona 3 and 4 I thought JRPG fans would learn that graphics aren't everything, apparently not.

Rpgmonkey

Some look pretty decent, others look pretty bad (especially the second one, ugh).

Gameplay sounds interesting, and I guess I'm the only one that actually kinda likes the dreariness of the battlefields.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
DiddyBop said:
didnt know rpg gaf were such graphic whores. the game looks decent enough,you all should be worrying about gameplay. id sacrifice textures for decent framerate any day of the week.

You and everyone defending this game need to see the writing on the wall. This is obviously a poor effort by SE, a company that seemingly prides themselves on fantabulous visuals. I doubt this game will even have good gameplay. The battle screen looks convoluted has hell.

Zeliard

The character models look blocky as hell, with few curves and too many straight lines. Ugh. To top it off, the aliasing is horrible. What happened to this?

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Pein said:
I have no faith in the PS3 version at all

I really hope it's fine... My 360's DVD drive is starting to crap up. I just finished LO, but I had lost maybe 5 hours of gameplay on the last disc alone to DRE.

Top Bottom