• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
2a5cj1h.jpg

Welcome to the AusGAF thread, all purpose gaming thread thread for Aussies on GAF

Here is a list of sites for news about games and buying games in Australia.

NEW - AusGAF Gamertag, PSN, Wii, Steam Usernames
Edit your details in so you can play games with us - we're awesome

Submit your information here!

View the AusGAF Online name Spreadsheet

Local sites for news

- Jason Hills Blog - Opinion
- PALGN - Multiplatform
- Vooks - Nintendo
- Xbox World - Obvious
- Kotaku AU
- Aussie-Nintendo
- Internode News
- IGN AU
- Gamespot AU

Bargain Watch
- EcoGamer <-- Best
- PALGN - Has newsletter

Mags]

Australian 360 (subs)

Retailers Local
- DVDCrave
- TopShop
- GamesWarehouse

Retailers (Import)
- Play-Asia - Expensive, but usually has everything from Asia and the US
- CDWow - Great 90% of the time, can have stock issues on anything not "In Stock".
- 365games - Never mind the naff layout, cheap games, quick postage.
- Yes-Asia - Another source like Play-Asia

Import Retail Information (such as postage, problems) can be found here

If you want some sites or retailers added or a note about a retailer PM it to me.

consoul

First of all: http://www.ecogamer.com/ Aus bargains.

Also, onya VOOKo for havin' a go ya mug. Strewth! Stone the crows, you bloody ripper. This is a fair dinkum true blue bottler of a thread. Crikey! She'll be right mate. Bonza. Uh...dingos. Howzat?

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I'm waiting for whichever company decides to send me a review copy first.

Probably neither, but it's nice to want things.

VOOK

alistairw said:
I'm waiting for whichever company decides to send me a review copy first.

Probably neither, but it's nice to want things.

Yeah it's looking like both won't :( Oh well I'm getting the 360 version for GHWT and the disks of RB.

-Winnie-

The title is nice, but we don't really get games 5 months later if you exclude Nintendo. P:

On topic, not enough cashmoneys for Rock Band or GHWT. :[
But LBP tomorrow! :D

alistairw

VOOK said:
Yeah it's looking like both won't :( Oh well I'm getting the 360 version for GHWT and the disks of RB.

Activision were pretty free with Guitar Hero 3, but that probably won't mean anything for a set costing three times as much. Plus....the fucking shipping would be immense.

VOOK

-Winnie- said:
The title is nice, but we don't really get games 5 months later if you exclude Nintendo. P:

On topic, not enough cashmoneys for Rock Band or GHWT. :[
But LBP tomorrow! :D

What about Rock Band? :D

I'm skipping LBP.

alistairw said:
Activision were pretty free with Guitar Hero 3, but that probably won't mean anything for a set costing three times as much. Plus....the fucking shipping would be immense.

Yeah, they are awesome. But I don't think anyone would send out Rock Band and GHWT with shipping here :lol

Also... new logo in the OP

fisheyes

I would be on the World Tour train but its way too expensive. Might just buy the game itself. Are the drums ever going to be sold separately here? I'm not holding my breath.

Kritz

Banned
My name is Steve Kritz Dickerdoodles, and I approve of this topic. If I spot any deals in Tassie, I'll throw them in this thread.

And, I'll be going for Rock Band first. I like the track list more, it's coming out a week (or so) sooner, and it's a little less on the price tag.

Also, if someone here spots a deal in a store that has limited stock, go price match it at EBGames so more people can get in on the deal.

And, as always, Playasia, Yesasia and Cdwow are good places to import / buy online. At least once the dollar gets a little better.

Oh, and for iPrimus users, over at the Whirlpool forums I noticed that there are possibly plans in the works to make Steam downloads not count towards your monthly bandwidth usage. Ditto for podcasts and the 1up show. No idea when it's happening, though.

If you are with iPrimus, make sure to check out the FTP they have up where you can download things that also won't be put into your monthly limit. A lot of the content is game related (patches, steam mods, free games, etc) I suggest people who use other services also post anything like that to help out other people who may not have the best bandwidth limits.

Hopefully this thread pans out in the long run.

Johnkers

My only request is not a huge banner please, something small and elegant. You've seen Australian bandwidth restrictions!

Let's start some sell/buy/trade

Want to sell/trade

Stranglehold (360)
Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
Guitar Hero II (360)
Guitar Hero 3 (360)
Maybe Rock Band (UK, 360)
Maybe Soul Calibur IV w/ pre-order metal case (Asia, PS3)

Want to buy

360 memory card
Wireless PS2 control

All are Australian copies unless otherwise stated.

Some bargains worth mentioning are:
- Rock Band full bundle @ Big W for $217
- Guitar Hero World Tour full bundle @ David Jones for $279.95
- Gears of War 2 for $74 @ JBHiFi

edit: :lol at banner

VOOK

I was thinking of switching to Internode just to get the free Steam content, more ISP's on it the better! And the closer we get to having Digital Distrubtion work good.

Banner is a nice 13kb :)

Johnkers

VOOK said:
I was thinking of switching to Internode just to get the free Steam content, more ISP's on it the better! And the closer we get to having Digital Distrubtion work good.

Banner is a nice 13kb :)

I'm on Netspace and I'm fairly sure it's free there too. (although for my plan anything off PIPE is free, not sure if they still do that)

alistairw

Worth mentioning CDWow.com.au again in this topic. PC games are cheap as hell there, amongst other bargains. (Stone Roses for $8!)

Rezbit

Corr blimey, you blokes right in 'ere? Just let me crack me tinnie, do a burnout in me 'rana and I'm good to go mate!

Oh, and I'm picking up Gears 2. Also interested in Fallout 3, but I'm just not sure with the timesink Gears 2 multi will be for me. $74 is pretty good I guess!

seanoff

Kritz said:
My name is Steve Kritz Dickerdoodles, and I approve of this topic. If I spot any deals in Tassie, I'll throw them in this thread.

your avatar is missing a head or is he not from tassie?

VOOK

alistairw said:
Worth mentioning CDWow.com.au again in this topic. PC games are cheap as hell there, amongst other bargains. (Stone Roses for $8!)

They also have Disaster Day of Crisis for $68 bucks, it's the UK one. That should be arriving soon.

-Winnie- said:

I don't think it looks like fun, also I'm not very creative - I bought Forza 2 after seeing GAFers make a ton of cool looking artwork but I couldn't do it myself. I prefer someone to do it all for me :D

Go319; here is fixed height avatar, yours it too tall.

http://i34.tinypic.com/107mgep.png

alistairw

Rezbit said:
Corr blimey, you blokes right in 'ere? Just let me crack me tinnie, do a burnout in me 'rana and I'm good to go mate!

I'm laughing just thinking about Dick Van Dyke saying that, given the quality of his cockney accent in Mary Poppins...

VOOK said:
They also have Disaster Day of Crisis for $68 bucks, it's the UK one. That should be arriving soon.

Any good?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
-Winnie- said:

im tempted too - all these delays (and this rumoured customs holdup ) have pushed it back into a whole heap of other releases... i had the momentum and hype all built up then it kinda faded with the wait

ill pick it up one day :p

VOOK

alistairw said:
Any good?

Hasn't arrived yet :( Hopefully this week but DSi will be here tomorrow and that's gonna get al my love :p

legend166 said:
I'm so damn excited for World Tour. I hope we get drums that aren't broken.

I go to Melbourne the day it comes out, and then when I get back I have to go straight to work so I can't play it till like the 18 :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Subscribed!

Anyone else apart from maybe myself and VOOK going to egames in melbourne next week? Will be a mediocre event for sure.

alistairw

Johnkers said:
Does CDWOW charge aussie dollars? If so Sold Out: A Threevening With Kevin Smith for $19.95!

Bargain

Yep, Aussie dollars. I'm about this far away from officially becoming their shill, but it really is an awesome site.

VOOK

evlcookie said:
Subscribed!

Anyone else apart from maybe myself and VOOK going to egames in melbourne next week? Will be a mediocre event for sure.

It'll be some fun for sure, I'm going for the simple hilarity of showing off my DSi to Nintendo :p They still haven't responded to my email for an interview there I mean I am travelling across the damn country.

Oh that's what I could add to the OP, retailers.

So CDWow is a given, what about DVD Crave... who else?

Johnkers

Another Australia centric question I never got to ask!

Who's had a DS Lite hinge break before? Out of warranty, how much would you think it would be to fix? I've been too lazy to drive down to Nintendo despite being relatively close to em and all. Over the phone they couldn't tell me anything

DarkJC

VOOK said:
I don't think it looks like fun, also I'm not very creative - I bought Forza 2 after seeing GAFers make a ton of cool looking artwork but I couldn't do it myself. I prefer someone to do it all for me :D

To be fair, there's going to be a ton of great levels available online from the super creatives out there.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Johnkers said:
Another Australia centric question I never got to ask!

Who's had a DS Lite hinge break before? Out of warranty, how much would you think it would be to fix? I've been too lazy to drive down to Nintendo despite being relatively close to em and all. Over the phone they couldn't tell me anything

I was basically told to buy a new one when I called to get mine fixed. :lol

Johnkers

Router said:
I was basically told to buy a new one when I called to get mine fixed. :lol

:lol Nice. Mine's not completely broken or anything though. It still works, but I'm afraid to use it incase it gets any worse. I might just take it to one of those dodgy looking "CONSOLE REPAIR" places I see around.

-Winnie-

VOOK said:

Did you get to try the beta? I was surprised by how much fun I had with it, both making and playing levels. Definitely lived up to the hype for me.
You should at the very least 'trial' it with EB's 7 day return policy. ;D

VOOK

-Winnie- said:
Did you get to try the beta? I was surprised by how much fun I had with it, both making and playing levels. Definitely lived up to the hype for me.
You should at the very least 'trial' it with EB's 7 day return policy. ;D

Na I didn't get into it, and even if I did I don't have the bandwidth to download all these beta's and demos. I mistakenly chose the COD:WaW beta.

I may just rent it from my awesome DVD shop that actually has a ton of games.

VOOK

Added a bunch of sites, could we have some more Xbox/PS2/Multiplat sites - I obviously don't visit them so ;)

Also added some more retailers, just the small few I know - Anyone got any more that are GOOD and would recommend your fellow Aussies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm really undecided about GH:WT at the moment. A week ago I decided not to bother, before that I was excited as shit to grab it. But now I've come in with some spare $$$ and seriously reconsidering it.

I saw JB got their Rock Band kits in earlier this week as well but no game.

VOOK

speedpop said:
I'm really undecided about GH:WT at the moment. A week ago I decided not to bother, before that I was excited as shit to grab it. But now I've come in with some spare $$$ and seriously reconsidering it.

I saw JB got their Rock Band kits in earlier this week as well but no game.

Apparently the RB1 kits we're getting are the left off shit faulty first RB instruments, while the GHWT stuff has some problems nothing as bad a RB1 stuff.

Bernbaum

Holy Fuck, just realised how expensive Steam is for Australians now that the dollar is back below the 70c mark. Just checked my Credit Card online and my Left 4 Dead pre-order has set me back $70 AUD. Fucking hell. Imagine getting CoD4 now, it would be a joke compared to retail.

Most of my Steam games were pickups from may-august this year, when US dollar was getting destroyed. There was a bunch of stuff I was gonna get off steam which is now relegated to cdwow.com.au.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
speedpop said:
I basically use Internode's portal for local news. That's only because I'm on the Node and the file downloads are vast and free at 1.7mb/s.

I wish I had internode in my area. I loved them when I was living in Melbourne. No my only choices are Telstra/Optus (LOL) or TPG. TPg are the less buttraping of the three.

Broadband outside of metro areas is retarded.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If anyone see's LBP at BigW today please post! They claim to be releasing it on the 9th :lol .

I have a dicksmith, bigw and eb all around the corner from each other, so hopefully i can pick up LBP tonight. I really dont wanna pay EB's batshit insane price.

jax (old)

Banned
palgn has the best sales/article by joseph every week. I find the revised ecogamer unreadable.

technically,

retailers
dse.com.au (DICK SMITH)
jbhifi.com.au
game.com.au
+
ebgames.com.au

have online presence and I know you can order on ebgames. (why would you?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom